Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 113 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3361 of 3371 Old 05-23-2015, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
5.3 Coming to Fox5

I ran across channel 5.3 last night. It was a simulcast of their 11pm news. A little research shows that Buzzr TV is coming to Atlanta on June 1st. The programming is classic game shows. I could say that I am excited about this new channel, but I would be fibbing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3371 Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post
Here is Decades homepage, they are binging Dark Shadows. I believe they said Twilight Zone is next. http://decades.com

And just found out from my wife one of our neighbors is the programming director for Laff. She was at Bounce previously and they started up Laff and she transferred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tell her to try and get the old Fridays show
post #3363 of 3371 Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
I ran across channel 5.3 last night. It was a simulcast of their 11pm news. A little research shows that Buzzr TV is coming to Atlanta on June 1st. The programming is classic game shows. I could say that I am excited about this new channel, but I would be fibbing...
Right! I think you can pretty much put this one into the "useless channel" category. I must say, though, I have really enjoyed watching Grit over the past month. From a guy's perspective, how can you not enjoy all of the old war movies. Now, if Directv would just get their OTA guide straightened out, I could actually enjoy all of these new subchannels better. ( I use OTA with Directv).
post #3364 of 3371 Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Red face Airplanes seem to pixelate DVR+ especially at dinner time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
Can't comment about the CM w/DVR, but the CM7001 that it is [was?] based on I got to replace a dead CM7000 was a bad mistake in that my old HD RPTV doesn't display 720P, which is what the 7001 apparently outputs correctly, so when set to 1080i it causes all channels to be way over scanned, cutting off the tops of folk's heads as well as sports, weather, etc., top/bottom scrolling banners, etc., and stretching 4:3 just shy of a full 16:9 in width with no way to adjust any of them.

Factor in that it's not nearly as feature laden'd or user friendly as the 7000 and it's a major rip off IME since at the time none of this info was available on-line or would have researched other options, so Caveat Emptor applies. To add insult to injury, they refused to allow me a refund even though it was the last day of the return policy.

Can't complain about its PQ through component though, all but the weakest HD channels look pretty much as good as BDs/1080i and my neighbors with Comcast, AT&T, Dish claim that except for really fast sports action it looks as good or better than theirs through HDMI/1080p, though I imagine some of it is due to mine being a large CRT that's been professionally calibrated Vs whatever cheap factory set LCD they have.

GM
I live very close to Chamblee: between Toco Hill and North Dekalb shopping centers. I have been noticing terrible pixelation especially near dinner time and it seems to correspond to plane traffic which I assume is Hartsfield related, not Ptree-Dekalb.

I did not seem to have such a bad problem with the Pal DVR, so it may be a tuner problem, but I wonder if others are experiencing similar problems.

I use an indoor rabbit ears and wonder if an attic antenna would improve the reception, or if airplanes just plague all reception.

Thanks, in advance for any feedback.

Brian in Decatur
post #3365 of 3371 Old Today, 07:59 AM

It could be the rabbit ears antenna. I've noticed that those with a signal booster via receptacle power seem to lose their signal strength over time - probably due to a weakened booster device. Even when new the signal strength seemed to vary when it was windy or when vehicles passed by.

I also use Channel Master DVR+ units (4 of them) now wired to an attic antenna here in Marietta. I get nearly 80 channels, all with clear reception and never a signal loss or pixelation regardless of weather or air traffic.

A rooftop or attic antenna will likely make your signal problems disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowords View Post
I live very close to Chamblee: between Toco Hill and North Dekalb shopping centers. I have been noticing terrible pixelation especially near dinner time and it seems to correspond to plane traffic which I assume is Hartsfield related, not Ptree-Dekalb.

I did not seem to have such a bad problem with the Pal DVR, so it may be a tuner problem, but I wonder if others are experiencing similar problems.

I use an indoor rabbit ears and wonder if an attic antenna would improve the reception, or if airplanes just plague all reception.

Thanks, in advance for any feedback.

Brian in Decatur
post #3366 of 3371 Old Today, 08:50 AM
GPM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I live very close to Chamblee......
Helicopters, blimps, biplane rides and stunt planes really screw with mine though and I have three DIY antennas in the attic; one each omni for most stations and c14, 30 and a dipole for c8 and AFAIK there's PDK jet traffic over your area, but it should be too high to mess with LOS OTA signals. Ditto ATL, so assume helicopters are the only flyovers that turn your signals into ‘chop suey’, especially during dinnertime since it’s when they are rotating ‘en masse’, apparently for fuel and guessing pilot changes.

This is a daily occurrence though, so combined with some neighbors that are somewhat shrouded from PDK complaining recently of much degraded reception, I’m guessing it’s an atmospheric ‘thing’ causing the bulk of the reception problems. For sure, smog in general seems to be way up in my locale due apparently to increased jet activity, tree, etc. growth based on all the extra grief we’re experiencing with our contacts, allergic reactions and age/whatever related aches n’ pains.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #3367 of 3371 Old Today, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Since the trees have really leafed out in the past couple of months your indoor rabbit ears are probably receiving less signal than during the winter months. You may want to check with the guys in the HDTV Technical Forum and get an opinion from them regarding an attic antenna.
post #3368 of 3371 Old Today, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryh View Post
It could be the rabbit ears antenna. I've noticed that those with a signal booster via receptacle power seem to lose their signal strength over time - probably due to a weakened booster device. Even when new the signal strength seemed to vary when it was windy or when vehicles passed by.

I also use Channel Master DVR+ units (4 of them) now wired to an attic antenna here in Marietta. I get nearly 80 channels, all with clear reception and never a signal loss or pixelation regardless of weather or air traffic.

A rooftop or attic antenna will likely make your signal problems disappear.
I live near the Marietta square and have an attic mounted antenna. I usually get some brief pixelation when a low flying plane passes by going or coming from Dobbins.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of antenna are you using in your attic?
post #3369 of 3371 Old Today, 11:12 AM

I have the "EXTREMEtenna Multi-Directional Outdoor Antenna" installed by atlantadigitaltv.com
The installer is very expert at his trade and takes the time to make sure he has orientation at its best to receive all available stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
I live near the Marietta square and have an attic mounted antenna. I usually get some brief pixelation when a low flying plane passes by going or coming from Dobbins.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of antenna are you using in your attic?
post #3370 of 3371 Old Today, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryh View Post
I have the "EXTREMEtenna Multi-Directional Outdoor Antenna" installed by atlantadigitaltv.com
The installer is very expert at his trade and takes the time to make sure he has orientation at its best to receive all available stations.
I think that antenna is otherwise known as the Channel Master 4228-HD. It is an 8-bay optimized for UHF, but will also receive High VHF in strong signal areas. It is recommended for the greater Atlanta viewing market.
post #3371 of 3371 Old Today, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I think that antenna is otherwise known as the Channel Master 4228-HD. It is an 8-bay optimized for UHF, but will also receive High VHF in strong signal areas. It is recommended for the greater Atlanta viewing market.
Thanks for your thoughtful replies. They encouraged me to take another look at the 2 rabbit ear antenna I have and discovered that I was trying to fix the wrong antenna in each case. What a dummy I am. I am sorry. I am able to reduce the pixelation to a much lower level now.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page