Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #3541 of 3555 Old 07-25-2016, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to cut the cord and get into the OTA game. Went to TV Fool and it looks like the vast majority (90%) of the channels listed are within 20 miles and somewhere on the right half of the compass they show. Additionally, the NM(db) for the main channels is greater than 30. Their guide says that an attic mounted antennae should cover all the channels I care about, but not exactly sure which brand of antenna would be best. I understand a roof mount would be ideal and that I may need a pre-amp, but would rather atatic-mount if the signal is okay, so I am looking for suggestions or recommendations. Had been looking at the channel master CM-4228HD and a CM-C7778 Pre-amp, but not sure if that is overkill.

If it matters, I will probably pair the antenna with a tivo bolt and 1 or two minis as well as some roku's and an apple tv to get content on 3 tvs. Thanks in advance for the feedback and advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All-3.png
Views:	34
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1565321  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3555 Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The 4228HD is designed for UHF, real channels 14-51. You have two VHF-High channels WXIA NBC real channel 10 and WGTV PBS real channel 8. I suggest the Winegard HD7694P and the 7778. You do have a second PBS, WPBA.

The signal loss in an attic is difficult to predict, because of differences in construction. It will require some experimentation. Aluminum heat barrier, aluminum siding, stucco mesh, and a metal roof will block signals, as will trees or other buildings. I suggest you try the antenna in different locations with it aimed at about 165 to 170 degrees magnetic. Use the signal strength indicator of a TV to help you or the diagnostics screen on the TiVo if the Bolt has that feature. Don't drill any holes yet.

If ION is important to you, it is in a different direction and will require a separate antenna with a custom combiner.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #3543 of 3555 Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 151
BTW: WATC (Ch41) is ALSO in the opposite direction...but it's so strong it's likely to come in anyway...although MULTIPATH COULD be excessive....so try up to +/- 20-deg pointing angle away from 168-deg (re True North).

BTW: DC POWER must be PASSED from the WallWart/Power Insertion Module to the CM7778....conventional CABLE RF Splitters normally do NOT have DC PASS (although most SAT RF Splitter do...usually on only ONE Port). Fol. is an inexpensive 4-Port Splitter with DC PASS on only ONE Port to keep DC away from the OTHER Ports [Verify which Port with a DC Ohmmeter]:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=tsb-41gdc
http://www.picodigital.com/pdf_datasheets/TSB-41GDC.pdf [2, 3 and 4-Port RF Splitters]

Last edited by holl_ands; 07-26-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #3544 of 3555 Old 07-26-2016, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengisk78 View Post
Looking to cut the cord and get into the OTA game. Went to TV Fool and it looks like the vast majority (90%) of the channels listed are within 20 miles and somewhere on the right half of the compass they show. Additionally, the NM(db) for the main channels is greater than 30. Their guide says that an attic mounted antennae should cover all the channels I care about, but not exactly sure which brand of antenna would be best. I understand a roof mount would be ideal and that I may need a pre-amp, but would rather atatic-mount if the signal is okay, so I am looking for suggestions or recommendations. Had been looking at the channel master CM-4228HD and a CM-C7778 Pre-amp, but not sure if that is overkill.

If it matters, I will probably pair the antenna with a tivo bolt and 1 or two minis as well as some roku's and an apple tv to get content on 3 tvs. Thanks in advance for the feedback and advice!

I live in west Cobb, I would think, closer than you, and for two TVs needed a preamp. I have a Channel Master DVR+. Really like it.

In my opinion, I'd go for ever kill. Good luck.

I also have a Roku and use PlayStation Vue for cable channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3545 of 3555 Old 07-26-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
The 4228HD is designed for UHF, real channels 14-51. You have two VHF-High channels WXIA NBC real channel 10 and WGTV PBS real channel 8. I suggest the Winegard HD7694P and the 7778. You do have a second PBS, WPBA.

The signal loss in an attic is difficult to predict, because of differences in construction. It will require some experimentation. Aluminum heat barrier, aluminum siding, stucco mesh, and a metal roof will block signals, as will trees or other buildings. I suggest you try the antenna in different locations with it aimed at about 165 to 170 degrees magnetic. Use the signal strength indicator of a TV to help you or the diagnostics screen on the TiVo if the Bolt has that feature. Don't drill any holes yet.

If ION is important to you, it is in a different direction and will require a separate antenna with a custom combiner.
That is a valid point, but the CM-4228HD will also receive High VHF in strong signal areas, and actually performs very well in suburban Atlanta. Local installers including Dow Electronics reliably recommend it. And WXIA has a strong signal for High VHF, and one of the higher power levels on RF10. Of course attic installs can have their own issues and complications. Optimal placement and adjustments may be necessary.
post #3546 of 3555 Old 07-26-2016, 06:51 PM

Thank you much for all the feedback and suggestions, sounds like a roof mount is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
BTW: WATC (Ch41) is ALSO in the opposite direction...but it's so strong it's likely to come in anyway...although MULTIPATH COULD be excessive....so try up to +/- 20-deg pointing angle away from 168-deg (re True North).
Certainly you are more experienced than me in this area, so forgive the dumb question. Are you saying to get a movable directional antenna or just advising that I move the antenna I suggested +/- 20 degrees to find the optimal reception point?
post #3547 of 3555 Old 08-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WSB TV translator 31

This translator has been my strongest signal from the Atlanta market, top notch, no drop outs... I decided to check ota signals yesterday, and WSB 2.5 (channel 31) was not there...I am in Toccoa and receive all the Atlanta station, except ch 11/10. Do any of you guys use ota and still receive WSB TV 2.5... that translator is located in Winder (I think)..

Tired
post #3548 of 3555 Old 08-04-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WPXA moved to 31 some time ago.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3549 of 3555 Old 08-05-2016, 05:32 PM

Anybody in the Roswell/East Cobb area have any equipment suggestions for getting solid OTA signals? Roof mount is fine, just looking for a good suggestion.
post #3550 of 3555 Old 08-05-2016, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Anybody in the Roswell/East Cobb area have any equipment suggestions for getting solid OTA signals? Roof mount is fine, just looking for a good suggestion.
I would suggest you run a TV signal analysis report for your location at TV Fool and then post the link to the results here. That will provide the needed signal strength information to give you some good suggestions.
post #3551 of 3555 Old 08-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Can't go wrong with this one. This antenna works well in the Atlanta metro area.

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...+master+4228hd
post #3552 of 3555 Old 08-09-2016, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
Thanks for the info Trip... that really screws up my ota channel 2 signal... I m in one those orphan counties on the S.C. border.. hopefully the fcc will soon allow Dish and Direct to feed us Georgia stations..

Tired
post #3553 of 3555 Old Today, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don F. View Post
This translator has been my strongest signal from the Atlanta market, top notch, no drop outs... I decided to check ota signals yesterday, and WSB 2.5 (channel 31) was not there...I am in Toccoa and receive all the Atlanta station, except ch 11/10. Do any of you guys use ota and still receive WSB TV 2.5... that translator is located in Winder (I think)..
Barrow County for sure, not technically within the Winder city limits. I can see the tower from my house.

Speaking of which, this appears to have something to do with my loss of WPXA. When I am able to get WPXA in scans, ION will show up on virtual 2.4 in place of Laff TV. When I am not able to get it, LAff shows up on 14.1 in place of ION (and I don't get any of the sub channels from WPXA either). This was a mystery to me for some time, until I realized that WPXA had moved to RF 31.
post #3554 of 3555 Old Today, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
It moved to 31 back in the summer of 2015. Right about that time I lost WPXA and was confused for a while. I changed out all my cables, assuming it had something to do with signal loss. It really had everything to do with the WSB translator being on 31 and overpowering the WPXA signal.
post #3555 of 3555 Old Today, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Greer View Post
In my enthusiasm, I did not notice that the 5 channels from 14 were not being picked up. That is unfortunate. I hope that I'm able to pick them up again soon.
Back at the time this was happening, nobody mentioned that WPXA had moved to RF 31 within a week or two of my posts. Knowing that the WSB translator, that I can see from my front door, is on RF 31 would've explained everything. I don't know of a way to block that signal, since I have to point in that direction to get signals out of Atlanta. I like WPXA but not enough to sacrifice the other channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception