19Likes

post #3571 of 3597 Old 10-26-2016, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwam View Post
Atlanta has two VHF channels (PBS 8 and NBC 10). The new CM 4228 is not good at VHF. You might want to consider a Clearstream 4 with a VHF retrofit kit. The C4 is an easy install (both inside an attic or outside) due to its size and shape (very maneuverable). I have friends using it 30 to 40 miles from the broadcast towers (in attics). Since Georgia is a tree surrounded area, the C4 does well in this situation.

A preamp with an FM trap may well be needed at your distance. The RCA TVPRAMP1Z is a good one.
Funny you should say that.

Just installed my C4 in my attic today....it is working like a charm! Had a few channels at 98% without a preamp. Guess I'll see how it goes before adding a FM trap. So far I'm just happy I can get some channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3597 Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the CM-4228HD since it seems to be superior for UHF. Hopefully the meager 5dB gain for VHF won't be an issue at 20 & 25 miles for NBC and PBS. I do have a distribution amplifier.
post #3573 of 3597 Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbombster View Post
Funny you should say that.

Just installed my C4 in my attic today....it is working like a charm! Had a few channels at 98% without a preamp. Guess I'll see how it goes before adding a FM trap. So far I'm just happy I can get some channels.
BTW the RCA TVPRAMP1Z has an FM Trap within it so should you need both a preamp and a trap they'd be in one box. It doesn't appear that you need a preamp.

How is the C4 doing on 8 and 10 (PBS & NBC both VHF)? Did yours come with the VHF component (long rod on top)?

Last edited by bwam; 10-27-2016 at 07:03 AM.

post #3574 of 3597 Old 10-28-2016, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwam View Post
BTW the RCA TVPRAMP1Z has an FM Trap within it so should you need both a preamp and a trap they'd be in one box. It doesn't appear that you need a preamp.

How is the C4 doing on 8 and 10 (PBS & NBC both VHF)? Did yours come with the VHF component (long rod on top)?

Good to know about that preamp with the built in trap.

Channel 8 is hovering around 75% and 10 is around 87% so both are doing good. Mine did come with the VHF antenna.

So far so good no noticeable dropouts except a few channels that I didn't even think I'd receive.

I've gotten good signal strength currently on all the major networks and a few independents. Would love to get ION but it's a few degrees north and 72 miles away so not thinking about it right now.

Very pleased with the antennas results.
post #3575 of 3597 Old 10-30-2016, 09:40 PM

Installed the CM-4228HD in my Marietta attic and the VHF channels NBC and PBS look great. PBS on channel 33 also comes in from 53 miles behind the antennae. I'm happy but learned a lesson the hard way that plywood should always be laid down before working in the attic. Oops.

Last edited by qam1600; 10-30-2016 at 09:52 PM.
post #3576 of 3597 Old 11-11-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Is there any hope for me with an attic mount? I've tried the RCA yagi and the ClearStream 4 from Best Buy without an amp and have trouble with getting all the UHF with the RCA or VHF with the CS4.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf0f2731fd86

I have to thread through Kennesaw mountain and the foothills.

post #3577 of 3597 Old 11-11-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Is there any hope for me with an attic mount? I've tried the RCA yagi and the ClearStream 4 from Best Buy without an amp and have trouble with getting all the UHF with the RCA or VHF with the CS4.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf0f2731fd86

I have to thread through Kennesaw mountain and the foothills.
Try the ChannelMaster 4228HD. Kennesaw Mountain is the real wild-card. I know several people who live just north and west of it and are SOL. I also know several people in the Marietta area who use the 4228 in attic mounts with good success. The post above also mentions good success with it. As always, YMMV.
post #3578 of 3597 Old 11-11-2016, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Finally, Comet TV is here! 32.6, takes the place of Family TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3579 of 3597 Old 12-24-2016, 08:30 AM

Anyone else getting periods of no sound on the 32.x channels? Trying to watch Comet and the sound on the movie drops out for a couple minutes at a time. Went up and down and same on other 32 channels.

post #3580 of 3597 Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Liked: 11
Broadcast Quality SW of Atlanta

In a new townhouse with a ClearStream C4 in an attic installation. Coordinates attached. The installer started with a Terk wall/table top model in the attic with a cheap Terk signal amp. Poor performance. The C4, with the Terk amp, sends decent signals from ABC/NBC [2.1 and 11.1] down 20-30' of RG-6 through a splitter to two HDTVs, with Fox [5.1] to one TV and occasional signals from CBS [46.1]. As you see from the coordinates, I'm 26-30 miles sw of the main ATL towers, with the C4 pointed toward the 50-55 degree [magnetic] azimuth. No PBS coverage at all. Curiously, I get a good signal from Ion [14.1], more than 50 miles away in the opposite direction [5/9 degrees, tru/magnetic]. What gives?

I'm adding the high VHF kit to the C4 in hopes of getting PBS [8.1] and a better signal from NBC [11.1/10]. I'm adding the ClearStream Juice signal amp and an amplified splitter. I'll report on the results, but ask you Atlanta area cable cutters for any additional suggestions. What can I do to get both PBS channels, for example. Regards!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TVFoolcoordinatesmap.png
Views:	35
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1877145  
post #3581 of 3597 Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDiesel View Post
In a new townhouse with a ClearStream C4 in an attic installation. Coordinates attached. The installer started with a Terk wall/table top model in the attic with a cheap Terk signal amp. Poor performance. The C4, with the Terk amp, sends decent signals from ABC/NBC [2.1 and 11.1] down 20-30' of RG-6 through a splitter to two HDTVs, with Fox [5.1] to one TV and occasional signals from CBS [46.1]. As you see from the coordinates, I'm 26-30 miles sw of the main ATL towers, with the C4 pointed toward the 50-55 degree [magnetic] azimuth. No PBS coverage at all. Curiously, I get a good signal from Ion [14.1], more than 50 miles away in the opposite direction [5/9 degrees, tru/magnetic]. What gives?

I'm adding the high VHF kit to the C4 in hopes of getting PBS [8.1] and a better signal from NBC [11.1/10]. I'm adding the ClearStream Juice signal amp and an amplified splitter. I'll report on the results, but ask you Atlanta area cable cutters for any additional suggestions. What can I do to get both PBS channels, for example. Regards!
Added the high VHF retrofit kit to the C4 and juice amp. I'm now getting PBS [30.1 only, not 8.1] and improved Fox coverage [5.1]. The amplified splitter and a couple of shorter coax patch cords will go in tomorrow to clean up the installation in the attic. I expect all my issues with signal variance [spikes and dips] on the key channels would disappear with an external mount, but I need to keep the antenna in the attic for HOA reasons. The end result, I hope, is getting ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox plus PBS and Ion [along with the ancillary movie, etc. channels at 2.x, 5.x, 11.x] with quality HD video. Still waiting for internet connection [Comcast or AT&T fiber] where we will use netflix and amazon prime - and consider adding the $25 sling package ......
I won't miss ESPN, except for when it runs the college football playoffs [like last night .....]
post #3582 of 3597 Old 01-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 19
March 24 WGTA DT 32 will become METV Affilate replace WSB as METV Affilate

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/1...nCbRc.facebook
post #3583 of 3597 Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post

Since it looks like MeTV will be moving to WGTA 32.1 in March, can anyone in the Atlanta area actually get this station OTA since the tower is up in Toccoa? If so, what antenna are you using? I'm skeptical that most of us won't be able to receive this channel, which I hate, because MeTV is one of my favorite subs.
post #3584 of 3597 Old 01-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I noticed that the Wikipedia page for WSB now shows Decades coming to the .2 subchannel. Presumably this will move from WUPA, 69. The Wikipedia page for WUPA doesn't appear to show that Decades is moving or if there'll be a replacement. A little surprising to me, as Decades is partially owned by CBS and WUPA is owned by CBS.

As far as WGTA, I checked the FCC page and the 41 dB (or whatever it is) map shows that line not quite making it to the I-85/I-985 split (therefore not into what I think most people would consider the fringes of the Atlanta metro area), and only into the far western outskirts of the Greenville-Spartanburg area. The TVFool plot for my location in East Cobb shows WGTA as "tropo."

I have noticed that channel 9.3 now has Retro TV (YAY!). That's the only one of the LP stations (12, 32, 26) that I receive reliably. Now if the Tivo service will catch up, I'll be in good shape. If Comet would move to the 69.2 channel, I'd be thrilled!
post #3585 of 3597 Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post

Sounds like WSB-TV is playing hardball as it renegotiates some pricing deals as it did with DirectTV and AT&T earlier this month. The move from WSB to WGTA for MeTV will hurt MeTV more than it will hurt WSB. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I watch MeTV more than I watch Decades and the move to WGTA would leave me without MeTV as I cannot receive it in my location.
post #3586 of 3597 Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
Since it looks like MeTV will be moving to WGTA 32.1 in March, can anyone in the Atlanta area actually get this station OTA since the tower is up in Toccoa? If so, what antenna are you using? I'm skeptical that most of us won't be able to receive this channel, which I hate, because MeTV is one of my favorite subs.
I agree this will be problematic. Since WGTA only reaches the far fringes of the Atlanta and Greenville-Spartanburg markets, many OTA viewers will be deprived of a reliable signal for MeTV in the Atlanta region. In Upstate SC and parts of Northeast Georgia, MeTV can be received on WSPA 7.2 from Spartanburg, SC. WGTA may fill in some gaps in Georgia down towards Commerce, but it won't likely reach most of Metro Atlanta. I guess they are hoping for Must Carry on cable or satellite, but I am not even sure if WGTA is even offered on cable or satellite around Atlanta. As I believe it was once officially classified as part of the Greenville-Spartanburg market, but I think it has actually been dropped by most major Upstate SC cable systems.
post #3587 of 3597 Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 PM
GPM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
32.1 is the program guide [APG] for me, which I get pretty good here in Chamblee using a cheap attic DIY antenna array I posted much earlier in the thread.

So where would the APG go or would just its half screen show become MeTV? BizTV on ATM. That would suck big time.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #3588 of 3597 Old 01-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
32.1 is the program guide [APG] for me, which I get pretty good here in Chamblee using a cheap attic DIY antenna array I posted much earlier in the thread.

So where would the APG go or would just its half screen show become MeTV? BizTV on ATM. That would suck big time.

GM
The 32.1 WANN that we receive here in Atlanta is a different RF (real) channel number (RF29) than the 32.1 WGTA MeTV will be broadcast on (RF24). IF you were able to pick up both channels, you would see two 32.1s in your guide....one for WANN and one for WGTA.
post #3589 of 3597 Old 01-20-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I agree this will be problematic. Since WGTA only reaches the far fringes of the Atlanta and Greenville-Spartanburg markets, many OTA viewers will be deprived of a reliable signal for MeTV in the Atlanta region. In Upstate SC and parts of Northeast Georgia, MeTV can be received on WSPA 7.2 from Spartanburg, SC. WGTA may fill in some gaps in Georgia down towards Commerce, but it won't likely reach most of Metro Atlanta. I guess they are hoping for Must Carry on cable or satellite, but I am not even sure if WGTA is even offered on cable or satellite around Atlanta. As I believe it was once officially classified as part of the Greenville-Spartanburg market, but I think it has actually been dropped by most major Upstate SC cable systems.
My guess is that this is a play by MeTV to get into the Atlanta local lineup on Directv where there would be more viewers than OTA viewers, so OTA viewers be damned. WGTA 32 is carried as an Atlanta local station on DTV as Heroes and Icons (WGTA 32.1). Directv does not broadcast any of the local subchannels like Comcast does (MeTV, Movies!, and a few others). There was no way that MeTV was going to be put in the 2.1 spot on WSB, so I'm sure they cut a deal with WGTA to get the 32.1 slot which would get them included on the DTV broadcast locals since 32.1 is not a "subchannel". Heroes and Icons will get bumped down to 32.2 I believe.
post #3590 of 3597 Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 PM
GPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
IF you were able to pick up both channels, you would see two 32.1s in your guide....one for WANN and one for WGTA.
OK, thanks! I've only ever got the one back when I was fiddling with the antenna locations.

On a similar note, when we started getting 16.7 WYGACD7 (WYGA-CD7) it was a high performance/racing oriented channel, which some of us watched and is still listed as such, showing the program schedule on the zap2it guide, but after a relatively short time it turned into an 'ONTV4U' infomercial channel and no amount of fiddling with antennas at our various homes can get it back, so wondering if anyone is and/or if putting up my ancient FM roof antenna might work. Ditto the 2nd 32.1.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #3591 of 3597 Old 01-29-2017, 04:48 PM

Anyone else lost channel 9, WEQT? I'm getting zero signal strength, no digital signal, since at least yesterday. Other channels appear not to be affected. My location is East Cobb.
post #3592 of 3597 Old 01-30-2017, 08:59 AM

Atlanta, GA - OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post
I noticed that the Wikipedia page for WSB now shows Decades coming to the .2 subchannel. Presumably this will move from WUPA, 69. The Wikipedia page for WUPA doesn't appear to show that Decades is moving or if there'll be a replacement. A little surprising to me, as Decades is partially owned by CBS and WUPA is owned by CBS.

As far as WGTA, I checked the FCC page and the 41 dB (or whatever it is) map shows that line not quite making it to the I-85/I-985 split (therefore not into what I think most people would consider the fringes of the Atlanta metro area), and only into the far western outskirts of the Greenville-Spartanburg area. The TVFool plot for my location in East Cobb shows WGTA as "tropo."

I have noticed that channel 9.3 now has Retro TV (YAY!). That's the only one of the LP stations (12, 32, 26) that I receive reliably. Now if the Tivo service will catch up, I'll be in good shape. If Comet would move to the 69.2 channel, I'd be thrilled!

69 is fringe for me in west Cobb. That being said, Comet streams for free on its website.

Actually 69 is weird. My DVR+ says signal strength and quality are 100 but there are annoying audio and video artifacts constantly. That's a channel I should not have issues with.

http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/

Last edited by size14d; 01-30-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #3593 of 3597 Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post
Anyone else lost channel 9, WEQT? I'm getting zero signal strength, no digital signal, since at least yesterday. Other channels appear not to be affected. My location is East Cobb.
Did you ever get it back, I know some in the Atlanta area have said they can't pick it up or that it has Spanish programs on
post #3594 of 3597 Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM
GPM

I use to get 9, but not 12 and now it's reversed, though don't watch either, so don't know when the swap occurred or what all the different each shows.

GM

post #3595 of 3597 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zedd View Post
Did you ever get it back, I know some in the Atlanta area have said they can't pick it up or that it has Spanish programs on
Sorry, yes, I did get it back about a week or so ago. I can get 9 great. 12 is hit and miss, mostly miss lately. 26 and 32 have gotten to the point where both are unviewable. I thought that all these stations came from the same tower; I don't understand how I can get one great and not get the others. 9-1 is Newsmax, 9-3 is Retro, and I believe there is one more station that's in English.

My biggest issue now is that Tivo hasn't added the listings for 9-3 (Retro) so if I want to record I have to do it manually. Now the only issue is Comet TV, which is on 32. If they would just move that one to 9... And boost the power on 12 just a bit...
post #3596 of 3597 Old Today, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 127
In the Atlanta market, both 9 and 12 are LPTV stations and are operating at their maximum authorized power.

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.
post #3597 of 3597 Old Today, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 166
With the FCC repack, I wonder where WSB will move, as 39 will have to be vacated. Apparently Cox is waiting on the FCC to announce any changes which may be coming at the end of March. If they move to VHF, hopefully they will have a strong signal like WXIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception