Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #3691 of 3697 Old 09-16-2017, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Toccoa gets their channels from Atlanta, that is news to me.. All this time I thought they got them from SC. If you drive up through there you don't see anybody's antennas pointed towards Atlanta, they are all pointed towards Greenville area. Most people up there have Dish or Direct. Unless you lived on a tall mountain facing southwest, I would imagine it would be damn near impossible to pick up most of the Atlanta channels without using translators. You can't even get the Atlanta FM stations to come in well up there, but Greenville comes in fine. Toccoa is alot closer to Greenville than Atlanta. I hope this WGTA move is just temporary.
yo-mama likes this.

Last edited by warbird281; 09-16-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3697 Old 09-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Have they moved WPCH 17 to a different frequency or tower? I have noticed that it isn't as easy to pick up as it was a week or so ago. I used to be able to get a booming signal here with just a small indoor antenna (along with 5, 14, 36, 46, 69), but now I have to play around with it using an indoor antenna. It comes in more like 2 does now.
post #3693 of 3697 Old 09-17-2017, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
reception of Atlanta stations in Macon

im able to receive some of the ATL stations with an amplified indoor antenna here in Macon nightly between the times of 8pm to about 9am the following day.

The stations im able to get are as follows:

WSB-TV
WAGA-TV
WPCH-TV
WANN-CD (sometimes)
WGCL-TV
WUVG-DT
WHSG
WUPA
*and one other low powered station (dont know the station name)

now every now and then whenever i do a channel scan i get this station on channel 26 but nothing shows on screen not sure what kind of programming they show, not sure if its associated with WANN's programming in any way.

post #3694 of 3697 Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shadow View Post
im able to receive some of the ATL stations with an amplified indoor antenna here in Macon nightly between the times of 8pm to about 9am the following day.

WSB-TV
WAGA-TV
WPCH-TV
WANN-CD (sometimes)
WGCL-TV
WUVG-DT
WHSG
WUPA

now every now and then whenever i do a channel scan i get this station on channel 26 but nothing shows on screen not sure what kind of programming they show, not sure if its associated with WANN's programming in any way.
26 is probably the WTBS-LD line of channels. It has a couple of 24 hour news channels like France24 and Newsmax, also a few other channels, all 480i.
post #3695 of 3697 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shadow View Post

WSB-TV
WAGA-TV
WPCH-TV
WANN-CD (sometimes)
WGCL-TV
WUVG-DT
WHSG
WUPA

With an outdoor antenna and preamp you may pull in Atlanta more reliably.
post #3696 of 3697 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
Folks in Toccoa get their stations primarily from Atlanta, and WGTA is based in Toccoa, thus placing WGTA in the Atlanta market. Any station listed as being in the Atlanta market does not mean that all Atlanta market viewers will be able to receive all Atlanta market stations.
Not exactly. Northeast Georgia is technically part of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville market, and mostly Carolinas channels are carried on cable there. It is frustrating for some Georgia residents who would prefer to see Atlanta news stations rather than Upstate SC or western NC. In some cases a good fringe antenna can pick up Atlanta or one of their translators. As for WGTA, it has "moved" to an Atlanta address to be carried on cable systems there. It is not on cable here in Greenville County, and I can't receive it with an antenna. But I can get some of the Charlotte market stations with an antenna, but they are not on cable either.

As for the Atlanta radio stations, they make it to Carnesville and some all the way to Lavonia or the SC border. A few may last into Anderson such as 97.1, which used to make it into Greenville but now there is a translator that knocks it out. I usually try to listen to WSB driving south on 85, and 95.5 or 750 will come in just past the Anderson exit. They have good news and traffic reports as you head towards Atlanta. Although I do miss Neal Boortz as he always kept me enlightened and entertained.
post #3697 of 3697 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Not exactly. Northeast Georgia is technically part of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville market, and mostly Carolinas channels are carried on cable there. It is frustrating for some Georgia residents who would prefer to see Atlanta news stations rather than Upstate SC or western NC. In some cases a good fringe antenna can pick up Atlanta or one of their translators. As for WGTA, it has "moved" to an Atlanta address to be carried on cable systems there. It is not on cable here in Greenville County, and I can't receive it with an antenna. But I can get some of the Charlotte market stations with an antenna, but they are not on cable either.

As for the Atlanta radio stations, they make it to Carnesville and some all the way to Lavonia or the SC border. A few may last into Anderson such as 97.1, which used to make it into Greenville but now there is a translator that knocks it out. I usually try to listen to WSB driving south on 85, and 95.5 or 750 will come in just past the Anderson exit. They have good news and traffic reports as you head towards Atlanta. Although I do miss Neal Boortz as he always kept me enlightened and entertained.
97.1's transmitter is in Gainesville, and 95.5 is in Doraville which is on the NE side, so that is probably why they come in better in that neck of the woods. I used to be able to pick up 101.1 WROQ at night with my outdoor FM antenna fairly well, that was until they put some southern gospel station up on that frequency up in Ellijay. I haven't had any luck with Greenville TV stations since the analog days. And I agree, I miss Neil too. I used to listen to him at work alot and we always got a good laugh from some of the things he would say. He is a funny guy.

I just don't think it is right for them to have a transmitter that reaches nowhere but call it Atlanta by having an Atlanta address, forcing people to use cable or satellite to pick them up. H&I and METV need to move closer to town where they can be picked up here. They could put them on WANN or WTBS at least or something. Atlanta has 2 Escape channels now, one on 2.2 and one on 34. It seems silly to me that they would do that.

Last edited by warbird281; Yesterday at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page