Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3721 of 3728 Old 10-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
17.2 came on with E.R. tonight at 9pm while 46 news was on 17.1.

17.2 looks REALLY Bad. 17.1 is Fine. To bad they can't switch them around.


MarkB49 is me since 2002.
MarkB64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3722 of 3728 Old 10-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
richart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I can't comment on the tuner card and streaming...no experience with that.

It looks like you have some good strong line of sight signals from the southwest. WSB seems to be the only major that is not located in that direction. Maybe you will be able to pick them up off the side of your antenna with no problem. You will just have to try it and see.

You probably should not even consider an amp of any kind until you have your antenna installed and tested. Too much amplification in the presence of strong signals will actually make things worse. The signal loss over 50 ft with good quality RG-6 coax would be 4 dB or less.

When it comes to combining antennas, that can be a problem without using specially made filters to combine the signals. Two antennas connected together without such a filter can have signals arriving at each antenna out of phase with each other and cancel each other out. If that is the case, one solution would be to have each antenna connected to a separate tuner card.

What type of antenna are you looking at? If you want WXIA and WGTV, get an antenna that receives VHF-Hi in addition to UHF. Best of luck!
CaptainEO likes this.
richart is offline  
post #3723 of 3728 Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEO View Post
Dacula, GA - Antenna Recommendation

I'm preparing to purchase an OTA antenna (or two). Antenna will be at 20ft located in the attic.


http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4a78b8ca6dc


Can't post TVFool link due to new member restrictions. Contacted DrDon for help with link.



Concentration of channels are predominately SW. So I am thinking one directional antenna pointed in that direction will suffice. However, if two antennas would pick up a few additional channels I would be interested in that option as well.


Current Setup: Entire house is Cat6 networked with HTPCs running KODI. Some HTPC are PC(AMD/Intel) and others are ARM (Libreelec). I believe I can run the antenna coax to a tuner card in one PC and share the OTA signals throughout the house via Cat6 network & KODI. Please correct me if this assumption is wrong or if there is a better solution i.e. HDHomerun external tuner.
If running the antenna cable to a tuner card in a PC for streaming is a preferred method, advice on the best PCI tuner card would also be helpful. Also the distance from the antenna to the PC with a tuner card would be 40-50ft. I'm not sure if this distance requires any amplification.
I would definitely go with a HDHomerun over an internal PC tuner card. As a matter of fact, they just released a 4 tuner OTA HDHomerun which I believe is being sold exclusively at Best Buy for the remainder of the year. If you can hold out for another month, you might be able to pick it up on a Black Friday special.
CaptainEO likes this.
Futrader8 is offline  
 
post #3724 of 3728 Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Newbie
 
CaptainEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@richart Thanks for the info. With this advice I will probably get a 50+ mile range directional antenna capable of picking up the Atlanta cluster of TV stations and see if it can't manage to pick up channels in the opposite direction of that cluster. Also, I'll hold off on amplification until I determine it is needed. Was thinking about using a small RG6 cable to Tuner/PC to determine what channels were available then testing on the longer RG6 run to see if amplification is needed. I looked into combining antennas a bit and saw mention of the filters you are suggesting. Basically a filter that only permits a frequency or frequency range through. I'll probably experiment with one antenna and see what is in range and if it is worth the trouble of combining antennas.
Based on the little info I know so far I would probably be going with a Winegard HD7694P or HD7698P although I am pretty sure there are decent alternatives.
@Futrader8
Quote:
I would definitely go with a HDHomerun over an internal PC tuner card. As a matter of fact, they just released a 4 tuner OTA HDHomerun which I believe is being sold exclusively at Best Buy for the remainder of the year. If you can hold out for another month, you might be able to pick it up on a Black Friday special
The HDHomeruns are definitely well reviewed. I see good reviews for the Hauppauge WinTV PCI cards also. I may be incorrect but I think the HDHomerun can be placed nearby the satellite reducing the cable distance. That would be an advantage over PCI Tuners. However, I have yet to research how an HDHomerun connects to an HTPC or integrates into KODI. My initial plan was to have a single feed into the HTPC where the stream/s could be shared via the network & KODI. Most implementations of HDHomerun I see involve direct runs of RG6 to individual TV's or Rokus. Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that new 4 tuner HDHomerun.
CaptainEO is offline  
post #3725 of 3728 Old 10-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
richart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEO View Post
I looked into combining antennas a bit and saw mention of the filters you are suggesting. Basically a filter that only permits a frequency or frequency range through. I'll probably experiment with one antenna and see what is in range and if it is worth the trouble of combining antennas.
If you do decide to go the route of combining antennas, there is an E-bay seller named jan_jenca who is located in Slovakia and custom makes selective combiners. I use one to combine a UHF antenna for WPXA pointing north with my other antenna pointing southeast for the Atlanta market. Of course with the channel repack, I will eventually have to buy a new combiner when WPXA moves from 31 to 16.
CaptainEO likes this.
richart is offline  
post #3726 of 3728 Old 10-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Newbie
 
CaptainEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@richart Ebay is my second home. Found that seller and they have plenty of filters & combiners etc.

Thanks for the tip about combiners that also act as filters. I'll purchase from that seller if acquiring those periphery/isolated channels is doable and worth the trouble with a second antenna. Going with the initial plan first to just get one antenna and see what it picks up in all directions.

On the fence with the Winegard HD7694P or HD7698P. Cost is pretty negligible so I will probably go with the larger antenna. It's an attic install.
CaptainEO is offline  
post #3727 of 3728 Old 10-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEO View Post
@richart Thanks for the info. With this advice I will probably get a 50+ mile range directional antenna capable of picking up the Atlanta cluster of TV stations and see if it can't manage to pick up channels in the opposite direction of that cluster. Also, I'll hold off on amplification until I determine it is needed. Was thinking about using a small RG6 cable to Tuner/PC to determine what channels were available then testing on the longer RG6 run to see if amplification is needed. I looked into combining antennas a bit and saw mention of the filters you are suggesting. Basically a filter that only permits a frequency or frequency range through. I'll probably experiment with one antenna and see what is in range and if it is worth the trouble of combining antennas.
Based on the little info I know so far I would probably be going with a Winegard HD7694P or HD7698P although I am pretty sure there are decent alternatives.
@Futrader8
The HDHomeruns are definitely well reviewed. I see good reviews for the Hauppauge WinTV PCI cards also. I may be incorrect but I think the HDHomerun can be placed nearby the satellite reducing the cable distance. That would be an advantage over PCI Tuners. However, I have yet to research how an HDHomerun connects to an HTPC or integrates into KODI. My initial plan was to have a single feed into the HTPC where the stream/s could be shared via the network & KODI. Most implementations of HDHomerun I see involve direct runs of RG6 to individual TV's or Rokus. Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that new 4 tuner HDHomerun.
Here is a link discussing how seamlessly integrate the HDHomerun DVR into Kodi. Might be of interest to you.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...ic.php?t=65776
CaptainEO likes this.
Futrader8 is offline  
post #3728 of 3728 Old 10-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Newbie
 
CaptainEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'll take a look at that forum post. There are many options for integrating HDHomerun with Kodi. Official, unofficial and customized PVR backends. So many that I'm really going to have to research & experiment to come up with a preferred method. The link you provided looks like a good start and since it is on the HDHomerun forums I imagine it will provide some definitive answers.

Also trying to find a difference between the HDHomerun Connect (legacy) and the HDHomerun Connect Duo. I could nab a Connect legacy for $50 and upgrade to additional HDHomerun tuners if needed. But I don't want to buy a 2019 paperweight.
CaptainEO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off