Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3269 Old 01-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plasma is probably talking about just the digital channels.
CW

We're selling our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and giving the proceeds to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
post #363 of 3269 Old 01-24-2005, 02:52 PM

Did anybody else have a TON of annoying audio drop-outs while watching the Falcons game yesterday (OTA)? With the performance on the field and the sound problems, We finally switched the channel in the 4th.

I have so many more problems trying to watch TV these days than I ever did before I made the "switch". It frustrating, to be sure.
CW

We're selling our
and giving the proceeds to
so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
post #364 of 3269 Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I was talking about the digital channels, is there anything else I'd be interested in? I had no audio drop-outs at all. Everything was perfect.
post #365 of 3269 Old 01-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Zyg

Quote:

Originally posted by roadracer
Anybody in the Hamilton Mill / Mall of Georgia area?

I just had a Winegard antenna installed by Voom and am getting spotty locals. According to Antennaweb I'm between 20 - 32 miles from most stations.

How high is your antenna?
post #366 of 3269 Old 01-24-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Crwaters
Did anybody else have a TON of annoying audio drop-outs while watching the Falcons game yesterday (OTA)? With the performance on the field and the sound problems, We finally switched the channel in the 4th.

I have so many more problems trying to watch TV these days than I ever did before I made the "switch". It frustrating, to be sure.
CW

No problems for me either, except maybe a glitch here and there if it was really, really windy.
HD is a hard one at times to pin down, so many variables.
For me right now ABC is a pretty spotty on and off, but usually its fine.
Seems to be doing better now, than it did at the top of the hour.
It can be frustrating at times being on the "bleeding edge" of technology.
jb
post #367 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zyg
How high is your antenna?

It is mounted on the roof of a one story ranch. If I had to guess, about 16' above ground level. There is a clear line of sight in the direction it's facing. No trees or other houses above that elevation (street slopes slightly downhill in that direction).

I talked to the Voom CSR last night. She is sending the installer out in a few days to do a Line of Sight survey, and if he makes the recommendation, they will approve for a larger antenna install.

As of last night I was only able to receive 2.1, 2.2, 5.1, 5.2, 43.1, and a handful of religious channels (63.1, 63.2, 63.3, 63.5 etc..). The Voom CSR agreed that the number of channels I was receiving OTA was unacceptable.
post #368 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 07:10 AM

Quote:

I talked to the Voom CSR last night. She is sending the installer out in a few days to do a Line of Sight survey, and if he makes the recommendation, they will approve for a larger antenna install.

I thought Voom was DOA. Didn't I read that it was being shut down?
post #369 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Crwaters
It frustrating, to be sure.
CW

CR, one thing that I would try would be to channel up and then back down to the original channel when you get audio drop-outs. It may be a sync issue and I have read that others have had this problem because of their equipment that the audio was fed to such as their A/V receiver, doing a channel up and back down allows the receiver another chance to sync up with the audio. There were a couple of thread in this forum so you might want to do a search to see if it could help you. I had this problem with my Samsung HD STB particularly if I went to the channel from the guide, sometimes I wouldn't even lock onto the station at all, then I would channel up & down and I would lock onto the station and everything was fine.
post #370 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 10:16 AM

I just jumped into the hd world. I live in Smyrna, Ga. using a indoor antenna, the silver sensor or whatever it's called, I get about 11 digital channels when I do a scan, I average anywhere from 75-90%, what should I be shooting for? @ what pt. do I start getting audio/video dropouts, I am watching Young and Restless pretty smooth lmao, but CSI was scrambling @ parts last night, of course I think I found a better spot today, and I can't get upn for the life of me, not that I really care, thanks for the help
post #371 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 AM

Good reception % varies between receivers/tuner chip generation. If you are getting decent reception (75-90% sounds like pretty good strength in general), but still getting dropouts, you are probably getting some multipath or interference.
I don't know if this is accurate, but If I start getting dropouts or picture breakups, but the signal remains constantly good, I usually attribute it to some anomaly in the source signal that causes a problem with my particular receiver/tuner variety, although this could also be another way that multipath exhibits itself.
post #372 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 11:47 AM

There are several things that can disrupt reception. With an indoor antenna you've probably tried moving it around the room and pointing it in different directions, picking up different reflected signals. I believe I spent three years with my antenna picking up a reflection of the signals from a reflection in the opposite direction from the towers. I could get all the stations, but not at the same time. Wind, the number of leaves on the trees, passing air traffic, and the number a location of people in my house would all disrupt the reflection, changing the multipath characteristics. About a year ago I found a better sweet spot and now get more reliable reception with my antennas pointing straight at the towers.

I have a Silver Sensor and a Radio Shack Double bow tie next to each other. The SS is connected to a MyHD card and the RSDBT is connected to a Samsung T150 digital receiver. In my opinion the SS is not as good as the RSDBT (which costs half the price).
post #373 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 12:53 PM

What direction are these towers as far as south, east, north, or south? I may try to pick up a Radio Shack Double bow and see how that works out, where in the room do you guys have your antennas? Near the ceiling? Near the window?
post #374 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Go to antennaweb.org and enter your address and it will tell you which direction the antenna's are in relation to where you are.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #375 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 01:07 PM

The towers are generally in the Emory University/Briarcliff Road area, which is probably east of Smyrna. They are east south east of me.

http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/ULP2QXi...Atlanta-DT.gif

I have a spot on the fireplace mantle which is on the south wall

Keep in mind that walls can block the signal, so trying to get reception through multiple walls is not ideal.
post #376 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chanibus
What direction are these towers as far as south, east, north, or south? I may try to pick up a Radio Shack Double bow and see how that works out, where in the room do you guys have your antennas? Near the ceiling? Near the window?

Chanibus,

Try the RS antenna. I had great results with it when I was in Lawrenceville. I had it mounted in my attic (ranch house). Once I moved to Suwanee, I had to upgrade to a CM 4228 and amp. It's still a little spotty (CBS, no surprise there) but much better. I think the RCA DTC-100 (inside my F38310 HDTV) is the real problem. I just bought an LG LST-3510A OTA HD receiver/DVD combo for my HT projector and it works wonders with just the RS antenna in the basement! At the moment, the antenna is sitting on top of my left front speaker.... go figure! My HT is in the southeast corner of my house, the antenna just has one exterior wall to go through.

I may try splitting my CM4228 to both receivers but I'm sure halving the signal will adversely effect things.

Careful with that ax Eugene!
post #377 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ScottF
Chanibus,

Try the RS antenna. I had great results with it when I was in Lawrenceville. I had it mounted in my attic (ranch house). Once I moved to Suwanee, I had to upgrade to a CM 4228 and amp. It's still a little spotty (CBS, no surprise there) but much better. I think the RCA DTC-100 (inside my F38310 HDTV) is the real problem. I just bought an LG LST-3510A OTA HD receiver/DVD combo for my HT projector and it works wonders with just the RS antenna in the basement! At the moment, the antenna is sitting on top of my left front speaker.... go figure! My HT is in the southeast corner of my house, the antenna just has one exterior wall to go through.

I may try splitting my CM4228 to both receivers but I'm sure halving the signal will adversely effect things.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=930%2D0998
is that the one? does it have a coaxial option?
I'll have to break out a compass @ the house and see what's what, so what range is acceptable in your guy's opinions? Should I be happy w/ anything over 80? Looks like I'm close to the towers for the most part

* yellow - uhf WPXA-DT 14.1 PAX ROME GA 346° 31.1 51
* yellow - uhf WTBS-DT 17.1 TBS ATLANTA GA 126° 9.9 20
* yellow - uhf WHSG-DT 44.1 TBN MONROE GA 147° 12.0 44
* yellow - uhf WGCL-DT 46.1 CBS ATLANTA GA 126° 9.8 19
* yellow - uhf WUPA-DT 69.1 UPN ATLANTA GA 147° 12.0 43
* yellow - uhf WUVG-DT 34.1 UNI ATHENS GA 126° 9.9 48
* yellow - uhf WATL-DT 36.1 WB ATLANTA GA 126° 9.9 25
* yellow - uhf WAGA-DT 5.1 FOX ATLANTA GA 128° 10.5 27
* red - uhf WATC-DT 41.1 REL ATLANTA GA 11° 12.7 41
* red - vhf WXIA-DT 11.1 NBC ATLANTA GA 139° 12.4 10
* blue - uhf WPBA-DT 21.1 PBS ATLANTA GA 139° 12.1 21
* violet - uhf WSB-DT 2.1 ABC ATLANTA GA 143° 10.9 39
post #378 of 3269 Old 01-25-2005, 03:33 PM

That's it, but it doesn't have a coax connector. Do a search on the RS website for antenna transformer and you will see several.

The anntenna may work better if you shorten the flat connection wire. I actually cut mine off and soldered the coax connector directly to the antenna. Mine looks more like the RS item 15-1139, but it is not a splitter.
post #379 of 3269 Old 01-26-2005, 06:34 AM

You can try this transformer . I drilled out the rivets connecting the cable to the antenna and bolted the 75 ohm adapter in its place. Too bad the antenna isn't available except for mail order. Call a store and have them pull up a search for all local locations. You might get lucky!

Careful with that ax Eugene!
post #380 of 3269 Old 01-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Zyg

Quote:

The Voom CSR agreed that the number of channels I was receiving OTA was unacceptable.

Looks like your antenna height and location are excellent. Hopefully they can sort it out for you.

Good Luck!
post #381 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Hi All,

We recently got HDTV's and am having E* send us an 811 and we are buying an 921. We need to purchase an OTA Antenna to receive the local stations, but have no idea what I need to buy and what is best.

We live in a Condo on the 2nd floor and have a northerly view with balcony. We are directly in back of the GA power building (across from the Civic Center). What would ya'll recommend for us to get. We have 2 HDTV's BTW. One in the living room and one in the bedroom.

Thanks for your help!

Mike
post #382 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MHenigan
Hi All,

We recently got HDTV's and am having E* send us an 811 and we are buying an 921. We need to purchase an OTA Antenna to receive the local stations, but have no idea what I need to buy and what is best.

We live in a Condo on the 2nd floor and have a northerly view with balcony. We are directly in back of the GA power building (across from the Civic Center). What would ya'll recommend for us to get. We have 2 HDTV's BTW. One in the living room and one in the bedroom.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

That text is hurting me ;-)
post #383 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 12:07 PM

Hey plasma- what's the status on using Spinrite on your drives???
I do know that it will take a while on a 250 or 300gb hard drive.
Just checking- hope things are going well, and it will improve things for you.
later,
jb
post #384 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I am having trouble with the SpinRite software not recocnizing the Tivo hard drive that I inserted into Drive "C". It only recognizes the floppy drive. I am going to PM someone else who did this and ask them how they got by this problem or if they had this problem. Nothing is ever as easy as it is portrayed to be.
post #385 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Dark text is the best - not silver. As for antenna, Channel Master 4228 is the undisputed heavyweight champion.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #386 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Yellow text is better than blue.
post #387 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdwalt
Dark text is the best - not silver. As for antenna, Channel Master 4228 is the undisputed heavyweight champion.

lol that antenna is DIESEL, I'm not sure he can use that type of antenna for a condo, what would be the best indoor antenna in your opinion? I've heard silver sensor (which I own) and the double bow tie, that might be more suitable for his needs
post #388 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the help so far. Ok where would I buy this receiver anyhow, I have no idea. Radio Shack? Someplace better?

Sorry about the silver, I find diff colors more interesting (g)
post #389 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help so far. Ok where would I buy this receiver anyhow, I have no idea. Radio Shack? Someplace better?

Sorry about the silver, I find diff colors more interesting (g)

from the sound of things you're pretty close to all the antennas too ... check www.antennaweb.org for sure but i'm pretty sure an indoor antenna would be just fine.

you can order the silver sensor from solidsignal.com as well as other places:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...T=&PROD=ZHDTV1

a lot of people talk about the radioshack double bowtie ... there was a link a page or two back.

You also may want/need an inline amplifier too. Try without and see how good the signal is.
post #390 of 3269 Old 01-27-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by plasmamaniac
jb, I finally got SpinRite to recognize the Tivo hard drive and it is 34% thru. It is not finding alot of errors so I am scratching my head trying to figure out why when SMART told me upon initial startup that I had a bad failing drive, replace it right away and back up the data. I going to run it on the other drive after this one is finished and instead of Level 2 I am going to run it on Level 4 which is a more comprehensive analysis, cleaning, recovery etc. so it will take longer but I want the drives to be in as good a shape as possible. Then I will run the first drive in Level 4 to see what info that provides. It may be that the second drive is the culprit, I just don't know but I should know when I am finished. Then I can plan my next move.

Sorry for posting here about this, I thought I was in the other thread. My bad.
No big deal I guess...but I'll inquire more about this in the HR10-250 thread.
Hope things work out for ya plasma. My HR10-250 is fully hacked and running like a champ!
jb
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page