Other ways than using Tivo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3275 Old 02-27-2005, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One minute I'll have 92% the next minute it drops out to 50% then 5 seconds later back to 90, happening to anyone else w/ ota?
post #453 of 3275 Old 02-27-2005, 08:47 PM

of course ... but they aren't supposed to be talked about here.
post #454 of 3275 Old 02-28-2005, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else had a problem getting PBS 30-1 the last couple of days? When I turn it on, it's just a black screen. Signal strength is fine, but seems like there's a problem with the station.
post #455 of 3275 Old 02-28-2005, 09:45 AM

Alright, I am totally clueless here about OTA HD programming. I have spent the majority of the weekend reasearching here and trying to figure things out and I am so confused, I don't even know where to begin.

First of all, I live in Dallas, GA, about 45 min NW of ATL. I have a 34" Sony Wega Widescreen that is HD capable. I have Directv service. Started thinking about getting HD and while looking things up here, came across OTA HD that I could get with an antenna and a HD tuner. And that is about as far as my knowledge goes.

Checked out Directv's HD package and it isn't too terribly bad, except for the fact that they said the locals aren't being broadcast in HD and also that the HD DVR costs $1000. So that eliminated that option for now.

Can anyone give me a basic rundown of what I need to get and what I need to do to get OTA HD content? Also, is there a way to use the same line that is coming from my satellite dish to my tv as the same line that would provide me the OTA shows? I could pay someone to fish another line through, but if I can avoid that, that would be great.

I tried searching here for antenna's, newbie, OTA HD and all the posts were still over my head. I am just looking for what HD tuner, antenna and whatever else I should get that will provide me with OTA HD.

If anyone knows any other options for me to get HD, I would also appreciate that. I love my tivo, but if I went HD with Directv, I would have to shell out a grand that I don't have right now for a HD tivo. Is there any way around this? I have to have tivo.

Anyways, I have written more than enough for now. I appreciate everyone's time, patience and help in this.

Thanks all in advance..........
post #456 of 3275 Old 02-28-2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by danc8379
Has anyone else had a problem getting PBS 30-1 the last couple of days? When I turn it on, it's just a black screen. Signal strength is fine, but seems like there's a problem with the station.

I had that when I was home sick last week. Bummer too because there were several shows in the guide that I wanted to watch but when I turned to the channel....black hole.

CW

We're selling our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and giving the proceeds to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
post #457 of 3275 Old 02-28-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Maveri9720
Alright, I am totally clueless here about OTA HD programming. I have spent the majority of the weekend reasearching here and trying to figure things out and I am so confused, I don't even know where to begin.
First of all, I live in Dallas, GA, about 45 min NW of ATL. I have a 34" Sony Wega Widescreen that is HD capable. I have Directv service. Started thinking about getting HD and while looking things up here, came across OTA HD that I could get with an antenna and a HD tuner. And that is about as far as my knowledge goes.

Checked out Directv's HD package and it isn't too terribly bad, except for the fact that they said the locals aren't being broadcast in HD and also that the HD DVR costs $1000. So that eliminated that option for now.

Can anyone give me a basic rundown of what I need to get and what I need to do to get OTA HD content? Also, is there a way to use the same line that is coming from my satellite dish to my tv as the same line that would provide me the OTA shows? I could pay someone to fish another line through, but if I can avoid that, that would be great.

I tried searching here for antenna's, newbie, OTA HD and all the posts were still over my head. I am just looking for what HD tuner, antenna and whatever else I should get that will provide me with OTA HD.

If anyone knows any other options for me to get HD, I would also appreciate that. I love my tivo, but if I went HD with Directv, I would have to shell out a grand that I don't have right now for a HD tivo. Is there any way around this? I have to have tivo.

Anyways, I have written more than enough for now. I appreciate everyone's time, patience and help in this.

Thanks all in advance..........

I think most everyone starts out that way...they don't make it easy...
I'm in Douglasville. I have an antenna I got at Radio Shack for like $30 several years ago. It's the big old regular antenna you used to see on everyone's house before cable TV (do you remember that far back?) and it's in my attic. I get all the networks just fine (when ther's not bad weather and they're actually broadcasting stuff...).
Check antennaweb.org, you can get a map of how far the broadcast antennas are and what direction to point your antenna.
Just get a Direc TV HD receiver, add it to your system, Tivo all your SD shows with your old receiver and watch your HD shows (from D* and OTA) in real time. Bummer that the dern HD Tivo is $$$ but they're going to be doing a huge changeover this Summer/Fall to a new receiver-set so maybe the new boxes will be priced in a more acceptable way...
PM me if you have more questions, I'll try to help.

CW

We're selling our
post #458 of 3275 Old 02-28-2005, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the info Crwaters, I appreciate it.

I was wondering about the setup you mentioned when I was at work today, so I am glad that you clarified it for me. So I can just call D* and try and wheel and deal with them to get the lowest cost for a HD upgrade and then still keep my old tivo.

I would then need someone to fish another line through my wall to where my tv is so that way one line would go to the HD receiver and the other line would go to my tivo, correct? Or is there some sort of splitter I can use?

Also, is getting D* OTA antenna worth it, or should I just wait until they launch their satellite? And then I am assuming that the locals will then be added on to their HD package, right?

Last question, (at least for now) if it is worth while to get D* OTA antenna and have them install it when they install the new oval dish, does that mean I would in fact need a third line for OTA programming, or can I combine them somehow. And if I can, what would I need?

Thanks again for your help and info........
post #459 of 3275 Old 03-01-2005, 03:34 AM

I'm assuming with this scheme that you have another available input in your system for the HD receiver. I figure that's a pretty safe assumption.
I actually have three lines coming in, one for each receiver (I don't have the Tivo but I do have a SD receiver in the kids' room) and one from the antenna in the attic. The antenna line is split between two TVs
You may be able to multiplex the incoming signal from the dish, I don't know. The new dish you'll get with the HD receiver probably has four outputs. I'd just run another cable into the house.
I wouldn't pay D* for an OTA antenna. I'd either buy one from Radio Shack or get the ones that are recomended here in this thread. If you can get te D* installers to put the cable in, good for you. I did all my installs myself, it's not that hard and I enjoy the challenge.

Hope that's helpfull.

CW

We're selling our
post #460 of 3275 Old 03-01-2005, 04:52 AM

Any one know what the possibilities are of getting OTA digital in Alpharetta? I'm about to move out there and was curious if the was too far out to get some of the digital broadcast.
post #461 of 3275 Old 03-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Most of Alpharetta is a snap. A UHF without an amp is usually all that is needed.
post #462 of 3275 Old 03-01-2005, 07:34 AM

Crwaters and danc8379... I've not had a steady signal on 30-1 for almost 2 weeks now. It used to come in relatively strong. Now it's either nothing or a weak signal that only lasts a few seconds. Does anyone know if they have made changes on the broadcast end? I was just getting used to some of their HD programming.

Phil G
American by birth, Mac user by choice.
post #463 of 3275 Old 03-01-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by philipgomez
Crwaters and danc8379... I've not had a steady signal on 30-1 for almost 2 weeks now. It used to come in relatively strong. Now it's either nothing or a weak signal that only lasts a few seconds. Does anyone know if they have made changes on the broadcast end? I was just getting used to some of their HD programming.

Something apparently changed on channel 30. I have been able to reacquire the signal and everything's fine now.

First, I had to remove channel 30 from memory (I have the T-165 Receiver). Then I had to re-enter and memorize channel 30 as though it were a completely new channel. After doing this, everything is fine.

Could they have slightly changed frequency ? Confusing.
post #464 of 3275 Old 03-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by buzgz
Something apparently changed on channel 30. I have been able to reacquire the signal and everything's fine now.

First, I had to remove channel 30 from memory (I have the T-165 Receiver). Then I had to re-enter and memorize channel 30 as though it were a completely new channel. After doing this, everything is fine.

Could they have slightly changed frequency ? Confusing.

Does this mean you had to do a full channel re-scan? I hate doing that because occassionally when I do I end up losing other channels that I currently get.
post #465 of 3275 Old 03-02-2005, 11:02 AM

I've tried both ways and I get the same thing. I wish I knew what changed. Channel 30-1 used to come in cherry. It is hit or miss these days and I can't count on it to be there when I want to watch.

Phil G
post #466 of 3275 Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 PM
EAW

I've scanned your many pages and haven't seen anything regarding reception in Flowery Branch and that area. Anybody know or have heard about the reception there?

Seems like the towers are all in a tight cluster from there so I would think a good 4 bay or 8 bay would do the trick, hopefully even for your one VHF station.

We may move to the area this year. A lot of people would be worried about your horrid traffic. Me? I just want to make sure my family has HD locals, which includes TBS for you folks right?. ;-)
post #467 of 3275 Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 PM

Anyone have any experience recieving signals int he Gordon County area? I don't want to spend $300 on a tuner and $100 on an antenna just to get a "No Signal'.
post #468 of 3275 Old 03-03-2005, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I wanted to comment on channel 30-1. I noticed the signal had gotten weaker 4 or 5 days ago but I think it was because of all the rain. Yesterday the signal was rock solid and I haven't had to re-scan or anything so I don't think anything changed at the station IMHO.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #469 of 3275 Old 03-03-2005, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't live in Gordon County but I only spent $199 on my receiver (SIR-T451) and $25 for the antenna (CM4221/3021). I know you can get the CM4228 for ~ $54 here.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #470 of 3275 Old 03-03-2005, 07:16 AM

EAW, when everything is behaving we get the following here in the Atlanta area...

Live Digital Stations - 12 (+ some have sub-channels)

Network Channel Station
NBC 10 WXIA-DT (11-1)
CBS 19 WGCL-DT (46-1)
TBS 17 WTBS-DT (17-1)
PBS 21 WPBA-DT (30-1)
WB 25 WATL-DT (36-1)
FOX 27 WAGA-DT (5-1)
ABC 39 WSB-DT (2-1)
REL 41 WATC-DT (41-1)
UPN 43 WUPA-DT (43-1)
TBN 44 WHSG-DT (44-1)
UNI 48 WUVG-DT (34-1)
PAX 51 WPXA-DT (14-1)

Good luck on your move!

Phil G
post #471 of 3275 Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 AM

rdwalt, PBS channel 30-1 was coming in at about 40% signal strength for me last night. Just enough to barely lock in. It used to come in at about 60% signal strength in the past and I don't know why that dropped. Nothing has changed on my end.

My other stations (other than PAX which comes in when it wants to) all come in between 92% an 96% signal strength so they come in great.

(stationary RCA 3036W antenna in attic)
LL

Phil G
post #472 of 3275 Old 03-03-2005, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by danc8379
Does this mean you had to do a full channel re-scan? I hate doing that because occassionally when I do I end up losing other channels that I currently get.

No. I just deleted 30.1 and manually entered either 21 or 30 (I can't remember which) and then added it in memory. No full rescan was involved.
This solved the problem for me.
post #473 of 3275 Old 03-03-2005, 07:33 PM

Anyone watching the new Law & Order show tonight? It's supposed to be in HD but no joy. I think the first few minutes were and then it switched down...or did I imagine it? I can't wait until all these glitches are worked out.

Phil G
post #474 of 3275 Old 03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
EAW

Thanks philipgomez. Took the job today. Look forward to all the channels.
post #475 of 3275 Old 03-04-2005, 09:39 AM

Is anyone here getting HD with the unencrypted channels in ATL? What is ABC's channel number?
post #476 of 3275 Old 03-04-2005, 10:03 AM

What do you mean "unencrypted"? Are you talking cable? This is the over the air via antenna forum. It's all freely available this way. ;-)

BTW, ABC is 2-1

Phil G
post #477 of 3275 Old 03-04-2005, 10:57 AM
EAW

Wait! I'm going to have to hack my OTA in Atlanta? Geez, forget it, I'm not moving ;-)
post #478 of 3275 Old 03-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Okay, so I have this on-again off-again relationship with 11-1. Namely; it keeps working then not working. I have an antenna in my attic and I get everything else just fine. I'm beginning to think I need another antenna oriented for 11-1, and I'd just merge the two, assuming that's easy or doable. The antenna feeds into an HD-TiVo down in the basement so a rotating antenna won't help me.

So, here are my questions:

- Is that doable?

- Is it easy for me to do?

- If it's easier to have someone install an antenna and do the connections for me, who's a good person who will come to northern fayette county? Why is it so hard to figure this stuff out?

You know, I had someone install my antenna in the first place long ago and I cannot recover who it was....

Thanks for any help!

Peace.

Peace.
post #479 of 3275 Old 03-04-2005, 04:22 PM

First of all, 11-1 is VHF whereas all the other digital channels here are UHF. Is your antenna supposed to work for VHF stations?
Second, from here (W of the city), most all the stations are at about the same compas heading. I assume they're all on about the same hill or at least close by. Have yo uchecked antennaweb.org to see what direction they are from yur place?

CW

We're selling our
post #480 of 3275 Old 03-04-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Cliff from Atlanta Antenna can mount you a good antenna with a rotator and a amp if you need it. However, being in an attic cuts down the signal greatly. If you have a rotator as I do then as you are scanning channels you can move the antenna when it gets to that stations direction. When I want to change channels, I punch in channel 11's direction which is locked into my rotator and it points in that direction. Then I pick up the Tivo remote and switch to channel 11. Then I have no problems because it is pointing at the optimum direction to pull in channel 11. The same for the other channels.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page