Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2005, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The first six months or so 11-1 worked just fine. Then it started to go flaky and now it just goes wacko. Signal strength on 11-1 basically bounces between barely lockable to all-but-zero every few seconds.

Now, if I go up to the attic and rotate the antenna I can get much better reception for 11-1 but every other channel starts getting flaky. Being due south of the airport all the local channels I care about should be in roughly the same spot (21-23 degrees for everything but 11-1 at 27) though as you say it's the only VHF station. I think the antenna set up works for both VHF and UHF but all I really know is that 11-1 worked great for six months or so.

A rotator doesn't help me unless TiVo can rotate the antenna automatically when it decides to record things. I don't watch TV so much as TiVo.

Peace.

Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2005, 06:49 AM

BTW, if I rotate the antenna just a little and leave the door open to my attic I can get 11-1 and all the other channels. If I close the door it goes away unless I rotate it a bit more... but then I lose other channels.

Peace.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you put the antenna on the roof? It will greatly increase your signal strength.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:37 AM

I probably could, though after the last two wind and ice storms we had around here that sort of makes me itch. I wonder what my home owner's association thinks about that sort of thing?

Maybe I could just move it next to the attic window or something. It's bolted down, though.

Hm.

Peace.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Federal law states that no home owners association can prevent you from placing an attenna on your roof within 10 feet of the roofline. I can give you a link to the website if you like.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The NBC station is so close in the spectrum to UHF that many times all you need is a UHF antenna to get all of the stations in Atlanta.

Having said that you might need to add an antenna that is cut specifically for channel 11 mounted in just the right spot, perhaps not near the current antenna that you have.

This would remove the need for a rotator if you don't think you can get a wre down near your display.

A technician with a strength meter might be your best bet.

You could always take a compass up to the antenna and try moving it just a hair to see if that does a better job of locking onto that signal.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Oops, just noticed this page of replies
Old 03-06-2005, 09:37 PM

I have a RadioShack 160" boom antenna which is rated at 100+ miles. I am 60 milesNW of Atlanta (Calhoun) and I am still having trouble recieving stations. I have a ChannelMaster Spartan pre-amp attached (rated at 23db/16db I believe). I uses my Silva Ranger compass to point it precisely at 152 degrees, which is where all the stations are located from this far. I have the antenna mounted on my chimney, so it is probably 30-40 feet off the ground.

Will an amplifier help? I am afraid it will overload the channels I am already getting good. Here is how my reception is working out:

2 - ABC, can't get it on the roof, but I got it with the antenna sitting on my pool deck last night, unmounted.
5 - Fox, can't get it.
11 - NBC. Comes in perfectly. 90-100% signal.
12 - CBS, can't get it. I have heard rumors of CBS broadcasting at 60%, so I really don't care about this one.
14 - Pax. Comes in perfectly like NBC.
17 - TBS. Signal fluctuates form 0-40%, never get a picture.
43 - UPN. Comes in alright. Occasional drop outs.
46 - WB. Comes in about 5 seconds, breaks up for 5, etc.

EDIT: I moved my antenna a bit West and now I get The WB at about 70% and UPN at 80-90%. Both play fine now. Still can't get ABC, Fox, CBS, PBS or TBS.

The rest are all religious channels that I don't really care about. Ironically, I get all 10 or 15 of them at 100%.

And I'd rather not spend $200 on a gigantic Winegard and have to remount. The one I have is rated purple anyway.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:54 AM

Hmmm....God trying to tell you something?

Isn't this stuff supposed to be easier than all this? I thought technology was supposed to save us all...

CW

We're selling our Photo Annuals and giving the proceeds to Curesearch so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

crash331,

That antenna should work fine..

You could get a Channel Master 4228 from Dow Electronics in Duluth for around $50 bucks or less. This might give you better results. It should work fine with the mount you already have.

Reception Range UHF (miles) 60

Antenna Length 5"

Antenna Width 39.5"
Old 03-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crash331
I have a RadioShack 160" boom antenna which is rated at 100+ miles. I am 60 milesNW of Atlanta (Calhoun) and I am still having trouble recieving stations. I have a ChannelMaster Spartan pre-amp attached (rated at 23db/16db I believe). I uses my Silva Ranger compass to point it precisely at 152 degrees, which is where all the stations are located from this far. I have the antenna mounted on my chimney, so it is probably 30-40 feet off the ground.

Will an amplifier help? I am afraid it will overload the channels I am already getting good. Here is how my reception is working out:

2 - ABC, can't get it on the roof, but I got it with the antenna sitting on my pool deck last night, unmounted.
5 - Fox, can't get it.
11 - NBC. Comes in perfectly. 90-100% signal.
12 - CBS, can't get it. I have heard rumors of CBS broadcasting at 60%, so I really don't care about this one.
14 - Pax. Comes in perfectly like NBC.
17 - TBS. Signal fluctuates form 0-40%, never get a picture.
43 - UPN. Comes in alright. Occasional drop outs.
46 - WB. Comes in about 5 seconds, breaks up for 5, etc.

EDIT: I moved my antenna a bit West and now I get The WB at about 70% and UPN at 80-90%. Both play fine now. Still can't get ABC, Fox, CBS, PBS or TBS.

The rest are all religious channels that I don't really care about. Ironically, I get all 10 or 15 of them at 100%.

And I'd rather not spend $200 on a gigantic Winegard and have to remount. The one I have is rated purple anyway.

At your distance, the combo antenna (UHF/VHF) is probably hurting you. A relativley small CM 4228 can be had at Fry's Gwinnet or Dow Electronics on Boggs Road for ~65. You should sill be able to pick up 11.1 with the 4228 as it is close to the VHF range. Also, your spartan preamp causes you to do more conversions from twin-lead to coax. You might want to replace it with a CM7777. Pointing your antenna with a compass is a good start, but you will find it necessary to tweak the direction. Many people us a CM rotator for this.

For starters, I would toss the RS anternna and try one such as the 4228.

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
Old 03-07-2005, 07:42 AM
EAW

I notice you guys don't refer to the antennas direct DB 4 and DB 8 models. I use a DB 4 and it's a very sturdy design.

Not trying to step on any toes if someone here is a CM dealer just wanted to point out that those are good models too. http://www.antennasdirect.com/

FYI I have no business affiliation with them what-so-ever, just a satisfied user.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by EAW
I notice you guys don't refer to the antennas direct DB 4 and DB 8 models. I use a DB 4 and it's a very sturdy design.

Not trying to step on any toes if someone here is a CM dealer just wanted to point out that those are good models too. http://www.antennasdirect.com/

FYI I have no business affiliation with them what-so-ever, just a satisfied user.

I think the DB8 is a better antenna than the 4228, I just recommend the 4228 in Atlanta because we have NBC as a high VHF station and the 4228 will pick it up. The DB8 won't do anything other than UHF because of the way is is built. IOW, you are right, but not in this instance.

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
Old 03-08-2005, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
And the 4228 costs about half the price.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
Old 03-09-2005, 09:41 AM

Hello All, This is my first post.

I live 50 miles south of Atlanta in Griffin, Georgia.
I am using a Radio Shack VU90-XR Antenna that is mounted in the attic which is about 20 feet above ground.
I am using a 12dB amp mounted on the mast of the antenna.
All this is hooked to a US Digital HDTV STB bought at Wal Mart.

I can receive most channels crystal clear except CBS (Channel 5), PBS (Channel 30).
NBC (11), FOX (05), WB(36), and TBS (17) are at full strength and look great.
ABC (2-WSB) comes in at about 60% signal strength, but sometimes the signal spikes and dips frequently.

What could be the cause of the rapid loss of WSB's signal?

Is there anyway to improve my reception to get CBS or PBS?
It must be that the stations are not broadcasting at full power as of yet.

I am still perplexed as to why WSB's signal is not stronger.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried the antenna without the amp?

I rarely need them..
Old 03-09-2005, 08:56 PM

I have heard that CBS is transmitting at 60% strength until 7/05. You may have to give up on that being you are 50 miles from Atlanta. I have also heard something about PBS not broadcasting anymore.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:29 AM

pbs is still broadcasting, as of a couple of days ago -- it's not on the same channel now as it was a month ago though. now it is seen correctly as 30.1 now on our grand wega. As is cbs, which used to be 19.1, and is now 46.1. Now, if only 69.1 will register instead of 43.1 (I think that's it), I'll be good to go.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:38 PM
EAW

Good info on the DB8 vs 4228 in ATL. Info I will use for sure.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:54 PM

joeld100 wrote: pbs is still broadcasting, as of a couple of days ago -- it's not on the same channel now as it was a month ago though

That's interesting. About a month ago my signal strength on the PBS station (WPBA-DT) went way down. Used to be 100% and solid reception; now it's much less, and reception varies from nothing (black screen) to choppy video. I e-mailed WPBA's chief engineer (his e-mail can be found with some digging on the WPBA Web site) about my changed reception, and he said they had made no changes to their transmitting equipment.

See my antique radio collection at Radiophile.com
Old 03-13-2005, 03:07 PM

I am now in my fourth year of watching HD. Reception quality always varies. Day vs night, winter vs summer. Planes flying by or not. Wind or no wind. My conclusion is that I am affected by multipath reception problems.

If I could get a line of sight signal from the broadcast towers I think I would have fewer reception problems. But I believe I get better signals that are reflected off something. I can move my RS DBT antenna around the room and get varying signal strengths even when the antenna is pointed in the same direction. And then when stuff changes I lose the signal. Which makes me believe I must be using a reflected signal. For example it was bouncing off the leaves in the summer, but in winter I lose the signal and move the antenna.

Over the years I have finally found a sweet spot that gets everything but WXIA. For that station I have to move the antenna 8 feet away.

I share this with you just to say that if John York at WPBA says that they have changed nothing then that may well be true. I admit that I have a vested interest... I want to keep their HD signal comming and will not do anything to have them take it away, which they could do.. BTW have you all made a contribution to the station to thanks them for the HD programming?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any help for the hilly area of Acworth? (I just moved here from Ohio where the land is flat and OTA is a breeze). A tech came by and said he was unable to get much of a signal on my deck or attic. He felt that a roof mount would not help much.
There appears to be a hill (1000 ft behind me) between me and the antenna farm.
What to do?????
Old 03-14-2005, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Move!!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:34 AM

or wait a few more months and directv will offer HD locals over sat
Old 03-14-2005, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
jackshakes-is this reliable intel? That would be the answer!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it is reliable because they are going to have HD Locals via MPEG-4 for the Top Thirty Markets and Atlanta is Number 12 but you would have to buy D* DVR or STB which has an MPEG-4 decoder. You will not get these via any other unit that has just an MPEG-2 decoder.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:30 PM

tombarry: I've only been watching OTA HD for a few months, and my experience certainly agrees with yours. It's bizarre how a signal can go from 100% one day to unwatchable another day. I recall reading, in the late 1980s or early 1990s, how this digital OTA HD system we were getting was going to be so perfect and so reliable. (It's digital, after all).

I believe it when Mr. York says no changes were made, and didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I don't think he'd have any reason to lie about such things.

See my antique radio collection at Radiophile.com
Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 PM

it's true you will need a receiver with an MPEG-4 decoder ... but it doesn't have to be a DVR ... only if you want to record :-)

anyway, D* hasn't released any specifics on what the hardware will cost, but you better believe when the sats go live the HD package will include the MPEG-4 hardware for new installs.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Radiophile
tombarry: I've only been watching OTA HD for a few months, and my experience certainly agrees with yours. It's bizarre how a signal can go from 100% one day to unwatchable another day. I recall reading, in the late 1980s or early 1990s, how this digital OTA HD system we were getting was going to be so perfect and so reliable. (It's digital, after all).

I believe it when Mr. York says no changes were made, and didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I don't think he'd have any reason to lie about such things.

I have a rotor on my antenna, and I record the optimum pointing direction for each channel. I have had this system for about 18 months, and the various pointing directions change frequently.

I frankly don't see how anyone without the ability to rotate their antenna could possibly get all the channels all the time. With the rotor, it's no problem.

Maybe a rotor is the solution to many of the problems cited here.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree that having a rotor is heaven. I can fine tune any channel at any time.