Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 3275 Old 03-15-2005, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As John Cleese used to say: "And now for something completely different!"

I'm in the Charlotte area, and a frequenter of the Local HD thread here. I will be in Atlanta - Hampton, GA actually - this weekend for the NASCAR race. I'm planning to bring with me a regular TV set (non-HD) and a pair of "rabbit ears." Basically, I'm just wanting to keep an eye on the NCAA tournament while at the track.

I'm sorry for changing the subject, but a couple questions for you all:

What is the local CBS affiliate? And any ideas if I can get decent reception of the CBS stationin the Hampton area with rabbit ears?

I appreciate any info you all can provide. Thanks!

"... but this one goes to 11."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 3275 Old 03-15-2005, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I live about 20 miles from Hampton and I think that you should be able to pick it up okay.
post #513 of 3275 Old 03-15-2005, 12:49 PM

Thanks! What station is it?

"... but this one goes to 11."
post #514 of 3275 Old 03-15-2005, 01:02 PM

CBS is 19 (WGCL) on analog in the Atlanta area. 46-1 digital.

Phil G
American by birth, Mac user by choice.
post #515 of 3275 Old 03-16-2005, 06:17 PM

Anybody else have super-annoying audio glitching on ABC off-air tonight?

had to watch Alias on the anacrud channel...

CW

We're selling our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and giving the proceeds to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
post #516 of 3275 Old 03-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Yes on the audio glitches. They finally fixed it near the end. They had to bounce out of HD a few times but they finally got it.

Phil G
post #517 of 3275 Old 03-16-2005, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hey Crwaters,
I came to see if anyone was having ABC OTA audio trouble too. Super-annyoing audio glitch - I was wondering how to describe it. That's perfect.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #518 of 3275 Old 03-17-2005, 03:26 AM

It IS comforting to know it wasn't me...
CW

We're selling our
and giving the proceeds to
so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
post #519 of 3275 Old 03-17-2005, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a feeling it wasn't my set up. It was only on ABC and the signal was at 100%!

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #520 of 3275 Old 03-18-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by philipgomez
CBS is 19 (WGCL) on analog in the Atlanta area. 46-1 digital.

Actually WGCL is channel 46 on analog. It's channel 19 on digital.

Charter Voomer
post #521 of 3275 Old 03-18-2005, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually WGCL is 46-1 for digital which is a virtual channel redesignation for digital channel frequency of 19. They do this so they can keep their channel identification even though the real channel is 19-1 the 19-1 channel is re-mapped to 46-1 which is the "virtual" channel.
post #522 of 3275 Old 03-18-2005, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm surprised there aren't more people on here right now ranting about the pathetic example of tournament covereage that CBS is putting forth right now.

They blacked out the GA Tech low def and hi def channels on the directv mega march madness pack.

The local CBS affilate is showing the video of the Old Dominion vs. Mich State on the Hi Def channel with the audio from the GA Tech game, the GA Tech game is on the analog channel, and the Mississippi game is on their secondary digital channel.

This is ATLANTA and they can't even get HD coverage of Georgia Tech right. Got some bufoon running stuff over there - I just hope he didn't go to Tech.
post #523 of 3275 Old 03-18-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by plasmamaniac
Actually WGCL is 46-1 for digital which is a virtual channel redesignation for digital channel frequency of 19. They do this so they can keep their channel identification even though the real channel is 19-1 the 19-1 channel is re-mapped to 46-1 which is the "virtual" channel.

I'm aware of this, but TeddyTV was asking for the analog channel for CBS so he could watch March Madness on his portable tv from the race. The analog channel is 46, not 19 and philipgomez said it was on 19.

Charter Voomer
post #524 of 3275 Old 03-19-2005, 06:48 AM

Okay ... sorry about the mix-up already! 46 analog.

Phil G
post #525 of 3275 Old 03-20-2005, 09:48 PM

I have many photos of my OTA installations on my web site, scroll down to the OTA section. I use the latest Leader LF941D {Digital} OTA meter.

www satproatlanta com/19019
post #526 of 3275 Old 03-21-2005, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
EarthDish,
That is a fantastic website.......great job.

What brand of Ku dish do you use with the Stab H-H motors? I assume you have something that uses a U-bolt mount.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #527 of 3275 Old 03-31-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

What happende to ABC last night!!! Did they fix it yet? Not that I care now. Now that LOST is over!!!

post #528 of 3275 Old 03-31-2005, 01:48 PM

no joke ... bastards
post #529 of 3275 Old 04-10-2005, 05:19 PM
zdl

if wgcl doesn't fire everyone with hd in their job title or description tomorrow, they should loose their broadcast license. The Masters coverage was terrible. As expected for them. The same audio drops that resulted in a near mutiny from the HD community and a big story in the AJC plagued them during the Masters two years later.

Are you listening Augusta National members? Consider fox please.
post #530 of 3275 Old 04-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zdl
if wgcl doesn't fire everyone with hd in their job title or description tomorrow, they should loose their broadcast license. The Masters coverage was terrible. As expected for them. The same audio drops that resulted in a near mutiny from the HD community and a big story in the AJC plagued them during the Masters two years later.

Are you listening Augusta National members? Consider fox please.

I can cut and paste too

The only thing that would make this post better is if you were typing
in ALL CAPS. Jeesh. What the ding are you talking about? I watched
it OTA all day and had a few minor drops, but nothing to throw a tizzy
about. The coverage was stellar AFAIK. Maybe your gear was in a bad
mood?

FOX? AYSM?! Did you watch any of the NFL coverage last winter? While
heads & tails above FAUX Widescreen, their 720p crawling grass
experiment was not up to par with anything CBS sports has done.

Then again, your opinion is just as valid as mine.

Didn't I already say enough?

post #531 of 3275 Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 AM
EAW

Nice work Earth Dish. My wife and I just got back from a house hunting trip in the area. We were looking north of Alpharetta between exits 14 and 16 (yes, we like it a bit rural).

Anyway, I saw some amazing things done with the dishes that just aren't necessary here in Illinois. The house I bought has a single LNB direct tv dish and a boat load of trees. For finiancial reasons, I'm going to need to see if the "free" DTV install guys can work the triple lnb oval I need for HD but if not, you may get a call (assuming you work that far north).
post #532 of 3275 Old 04-12-2005, 12:31 PM

I was at the Braves game on Sunday at Turner Field here in Atlanta and couldn't help but notice the huge towers just to the N.E. over right field. I tried to identify them by looking at the satellite images on Google but it just got confusing. Anybody care to give it a shot. Who transmits from the tall pitchfork? Image is linked below.
LL

Phil G
post #533 of 3275 Old 04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was at the Braves game on Sunday at Turner Field here in Atlanta and couldn't help but notice the huge towers just to the N.E. over right field. I tried to identify them by looking at the satellite images on Google but it just got confusing. Anybody care to give it a shot. Who transmits from the tall pitchfork? Image is linked below.

My first thought is that this is a cell phone tower but that's just a guess.
post #534 of 3275 Old 04-12-2005, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

My 5 year old daughter and I went to the game on Saturday night. Had a blast - even made it on the "Worlds Largest Hi Def Display"... oh, I have no idea who broadcasts from the pitchfork.

post #535 of 3275 Old 04-13-2005, 08:55 AM

Who transmits from the tall pitchfork?

That is definitely a TV tower, but I don't know which stations. Years ago there was only one such "candelabra" tower in the Atlanta area. It was called the Shepherd tower because it was owned by the Shepherd Construction Co. It had channel 36 (WATL), channel 46 (then WGNX) and channel 30 (WPBA) antennas on it. Later, channel 30 moved their transmitter to another location.

Now I'm out of touch with such things, but I think there are now two such candelabra towers in Atlanta, built recently to service HDTV needs. I'm not sure which one is in your picture, but I think it's the one that probably has the HD antennas for channels 36 and 46 on it.

The above is just a guess; I used to work in Atlanta broadcasting, and I thought my weak answer to your question was better than none. Maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in.

See my antique radio collection at
post #536 of 3275 Old 04-13-2005, 09:10 AM

Looking at a map makes me think that it is the channel 36 and 46 tower. It may also carry TBS (20) from what I can guess. All I know is, that sucker is tall!

It's funny that I never really gave them much thought or even noticed them much until I got my HDTV and put an antenna up.

Phil G
post #537 of 3275 Old 04-15-2005, 12:30 PM

Hey guys, I live up in Acworth and got my first HD set this week. I got and mounted the Radioshack VU-90 XR 80" antenna to go with it and it's giving me a great signal. CBS is of course the weakest at a little over 50% signal strength but I haven't noticed any drops yet (haven't watched CBS much yet though). NBC, FOX, UPN, WB, TBS, Univision all have signals in the 75 - 90% range and great pictures.

My problem is with ABC. I can't find WSB-DT at all, it's just never detected by my tuner. Over analog WSB-TV comes in nearly flawlessly (as good as you could expect for analog). According to antennaweb, WSB's tower is located at 139 degrees from my location. I receive great signals from both TBS at 133 degress and UPN at 141 degrees so I think my antenna is pointed sufficiently well to pick up WSB-DT. My tuner doesn't have a way to "manually" tune to a station; it only lets you choose the ones that it found during its channel scan so I can't just type in "39" or whatever to try it (not sure if this is the norm for tuners or not).

Anyone else having problems with WSB? I emailed them but I don't expect they will actually write back :-/ Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I can try in order to pick it up? Thanks for the help!
post #538 of 3275 Old 04-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Atlanta Towers:

The Atlanta Stations towers are as follows:

WSB- (2,39) They have there own tower located at 766 WILLOUGHBY WAY. It can be seen in your picture right behind the "forked tower"

WAGA (5,27) Their tower is located on the property of their station at 1551 Briarcliff Rd. They are the only DTV station in town that has the tower at the station location.

WGPB (8,12) The DTV of this station will not be on air until 2007 but their tower is located atop Stone Mtn.

WXIA (11,10) This Stations Tower is located at 110 ARIZONA AVE and they are the owner of it.

WTBS (17,20) This station Has 2 Towers. It's analog is located next to it's admin offices as part of the TBS complex in midtown. The DTV is located at 1800 Briarcliff Road NE . They share this tower with CH's 34 (DTV ONLY)36,46,

WPBA (30,21) This station also has two towers. The DTV is located 0.8 miles ESE of Hwy. 23 and Dekalb Avenue, NE. It looks to be shared with WABE-FM which they also own.

WATL (36,25) This station is one of the users of the 1800 Briarcliff Road Tower

WGCL (46,19) This station is also on the 1800 Briarcliff Road Tower.

WUPA (69,43) Their tower is located at I-20 and Chester Ave. It's my guess that this is the "forked tower" If you will enter this address in Goggle maps: 106 Chester Ave. Zoom all the way up and drag to the end of Chester..then take the Sat view you'll see the shadow of the forked tower in the picture.
Their Analog was at one time located atop the Peachtree Plaza Hotel.
post #539 of 3275 Old 04-16-2005, 07:34 PM

Thanks, ToddD. That is a great reply to the Atlanta Towers question.

I looked at the satellite picture on Google maps and noticed the same shadow but it's a bit hard to see the actual towers from the images. My wife thinks I'm nuts...but I just had to ask. I also didn't know that WGPB will broadcast from Stone Mountain. I see that tower on the way to work and always wondered whose that was up there. Do you know the reason for them not broadcasting from it until 2007?

I think we are very fortunate to live in one of the top markets for DTV & HDTV in the US.

Phil G
post #540 of 3275 Old 04-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks, ToddD. That is a great reply to the Atlanta Towers question.

I looked at the satellite picture on Google maps and noticed the same shadow but it's a bit hard to see the actual towers from the images. My wife thinks I'm nuts...but I just had to ask. I also didn't know that WGPB will broadcast from Stone Mountain. I see that tower on the way to work and always wondered whose that was up there. Do you know the reason for them not broadcasting from it until 2007?

I think we are very fortunate to live in one of the top markets for DTV & HDTV in the US.

The reason is Money! WGPB is the flagship station of Georgia Public Broadcasting an agency of the State of Georgia. The decision was made to fund ALL of their DTV conversions at the same time - they own several stations around the state (9) and due to the budget situation here in our fine state they will not have the needed funds for a while. The reported date of Air is 7/2007. They are using the Stone Mnt. Tower for the Analog signal and have been for many years. The actual Station is located in Athens at UGA and they have facilities in Mid town across the street from Ga Tech
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page