Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 20 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 18  19  20 21  22  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Atlanta, GA - OTA
timmernator's Avatar timmernator 12:25 PM 05-21-2005
Quote:


Originally posted by porterhaus
Thanks for the information. One other question: Is Braves HD available on satellite/OTA or on cable only? Thanks.

The Braves are in HD on WTBS (OTA) - I believe home games only...

timmernator's Avatar timmernator 12:26 PM 05-21-2005
MLB on FOX today-

It's widescreen, but it sure doesn't look like HD... anybody have any info?
Crwaters's Avatar Crwaters 01:57 PM 05-21-2005
Quote:


Originally posted by porterhaus
Is Braves HD available on satellite/OTA or on cable only? Thanks.

Braves Vision HD is only on Comcast.
Terence's Avatar Terence 06:36 PM 05-21-2005
Quote:


Originally posted by timmernator
MLB on FOX today-

It's widescreen, but it sure doesn't look like HD... anybody have any info?

Yeah i notice the same thing, the picture was kind of soft to me.
NateDawg's Avatar NateDawg 07:30 PM 05-21-2005
Quote:


Originally posted by timmernator
MLB on FOX today-

It's widescreen, but it sure doesn't look like HD... anybody have any info?

It was not in HD per this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=541461
Terence's Avatar Terence 10:29 PM 05-21-2005
Quote:


Originally posted by philipgomez
The commercials (in SD) have two little flickering pixel areas near the top, just left of center and on the top right. They disappear as soon as the HD kicks in. I've seen these before.


I saw this today and thought i had a stuck mirror until i remembered the above post.
porterhaus's Avatar porterhaus 06:41 AM 05-23-2005
Quote:


Originally posted by Crwaters:
Braves Vision HD is only on Comcast.

I know that is what the ad states, however I did have it on Charter. I was just wondering if I would have to do without it when I get rid of Charter (good riddance). I pulled the trigger on Saturday and now have D*. I have the national east & west HD feeds and D* states they will have the local HD channels available by the end of this year. Am I missing anything worthwhile by not installing an OTA antennae? Thanks.
Terence's Avatar Terence 09:19 PM 05-23-2005
****UPDATE****

Ok, my antenna is now on the roof!

I can get every channel except for 11(NBC) i'm thinking something mmight be blocking the signal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhaus View Post

Thanks for the information. One other question: Is Braves HD available on satellite/OTA or on cable only? Thanks.


Tonights game OTA was in HD DD 5.1!
porterhaus's Avatar porterhaus 06:09 AM 05-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post

Tonights game OTA was in HD DD 5.1!

Thanks Terence, I am guessing that is on TBS's digital channel. Is that correct?
Terence's Avatar Terence 07:44 AM 05-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhaus View Post

Thanks Terence, I am guessing that is on TBS's digital channel. Is that correct?

You are correct, also i'm missing two stations. I notice i can't p/u ch 8 (PBS) but hey i get ch 30 HD (PBS) almost the same thing......right?!
porterhaus's Avatar porterhaus 03:52 PM 05-24-2005
I have a question regarding antennaweb.org. I used their map to better locate my house after entering just the area code. (Using my street does not work, I suppose it is too new to show up on the map.) The list of channels (especially digital ones) changes to almost none when I pinpoint the house. Moving a few blocks will bring back most of the missing channels. I wonder if the map is sophisticated enough to know the topography and perhaps is doing this because of hills, etc. Has anyone else noticed this happening to them? Does anyone know if the program uses topography in its calculations? PLMK, thanks.

Edit: I found the answer on antennaweb's faq. Yes their program does take topography into account. This explains my above results.
rdwalt's Avatar rdwalt 07:31 AM 05-25-2005
The form asks if there is anything over 30 feet tall near your house. I know I get inconsistant output for my address. I get all channels in Kennesaw.
DEP's Avatar DEP 09:48 AM 06-03-2005
Does anyone know if satproatlanta is still in business?

I called back in the middle of April and spoke with them about moving my CM 4228 from the attic to the roof (along with adding a rotar). We discussed what kind of house, etc and he quoted me a price and said he would get back to me. He said he had a job coming up around GA 400 and he could probably get by my place (Lawrencville) the same day (which would be in the next couple of weeks to maybe a month -- the exact day was never determined).

Well, I have never heard back from him and when I try calling the number he left no one answers and doesn't even give you the opportunity to leave a message. Same thing for a different number I got off his website.

Can anyone help me with this, or recommend a different installer?

Thanks,

DEP
mjungklaus's Avatar mjungklaus 12:50 PM 06-06-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEP View Post

I called back in the middle of April and spoke with them about moving my CM 4228 from the attic to the roof (along with adding a rotar). We discussed what kind of house, etc and he quoted me a price and said he would get back to me. He said he had a job coming up around GA 400 and he could probably get by my place (Lawrencville) the same day (which would be in the next couple of weeks to maybe a month -- the exact day was never determined).
DEP

Sorry but I can't help recommend an installer.

But I live in Lawrenceville and was thinking about getting a CM 4228 to put in the attic. So I was interested in how your reception was, what prompted you to move the 4228 from the attic to the roof and what equipment you've got?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I live just east of Hiway 29 and just south of Sugarloaf Pkwy.
DEP's Avatar DEP 01:16 PM 06-06-2005
mjungklaus - for the most part the CM4228 in the attic does a good job, but with summer coming the trees are starting to fill in (if they haven't already) and I'll start to see more breakups until late fall. This has happened ever since I had this setup.

I have a CM 4228 (in attic right now) and CM 7777 pre-amp. I would add a CM9521A rotar to the setup. I would add the rotar as an insurance polcy of sorts -- if the installer is already on the roof with the antenna the additional cost of putting in the rotar would be minimal compared to having him come back again a second time, plus the ability to fine tune the channels (multi-path, etc) is worth it in my opinion.

In my subdivision (Old Norcross & Sugarloaf) there are a fair amount of tall trees across the street in the distance. The extra hight of having the antenna on the roof can't hurt.

A question I have now though -- I have Directv (HR10-250) and they'll be coming out with high def locals later this summer or fall. Should I wait and put up with my "ok" reception until then or get a professional install ? Directv would have to replace the HR10-250 due to mpeg2 versus mpeg4 -- that's another concern -- how long is that going to take them?
mjungklaus's Avatar mjungklaus 02:29 PM 06-06-2005
DEP -

Thanks so much for the info. It really helps to know. Sounds like you are pretty close to me. Do you get all Atlanta channels? Seems to me that I hear about many folks that can't get 11 and I also hear about problems getting 46. Was just wondering what channels are the problem for you.

Regarding DirecTV, I have no idea what to tell you. I have a HR10-250 too, in fact I just got it pretty recently. I know the MPEG4 swap is going to happen at some point, but I gotta believe its gonna be a while.

They did drop the price about a month ago, as you would expect them to do before they replace it with a different model, but I bet its gonna be AT LEAST a year before they start swapping these babies out.

Your guess is at least as good as mine, but there is my 2 cents worth.

One last question (at least for this post), do you see any significant improvement in the picture quality from the High Def sat channels to the OTA? I've not been real impressed with the High Def on sat. I know its compressed and was hoping the un-compressed OTA would be an improvement. Will it be?

Thanks again for your help.
Crwaters's Avatar Crwaters 02:52 PM 06-06-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjungklaus View Post

DEP -

Thanks so much for the info. It really helps to know. Sounds like you are pretty close to me. Do you get all Atlanta channels? Seems to me that I hear about many folks that can't get 11 and I also hear about problems getting 46. Was just wondering what channels are the problem for you.
11 is VHF while all the other local DTV OTAs are UHF so that could be a root of problems with reception... 30 has been a problem for me here in Douglasville until the leaves came in (my antenna is in my attic) and now I'm having problems with 2 and some others...

Regarding DirecTV, I have no idea what to tell you. I have a HR10-250 too, in fact I just got it pretty recently. I know the MPEG4 swap is going to happen at some point, but I gotta believe its gonna be a while.

They did drop the price about a month ago, as you would expect them to do before they replace it with a different model, but I bet its gonna be AT LEAST a year before they start swapping these babies out.

It's my understanding that Atlanta is one of the first twelve markets that will be using the new dish/receiver combo. To that end, they've already put the bird up and should have been testing it for a while now. I expect the ATL to be online before christmas this year.

Your guess is at least as good as mine, but there is my 2 cents worth.

One last question (at least for this post), do you see any significant improvement in the picture quality from the High Def sat channels to the OTA? I've not been real impressed with the High Def on sat. I know its compressed and was hoping the un-compressed OTA would be an improvement. Will it be?

For me, channels like Discovery HD are MUCH better than say TLC or History channel SD. The OTA primetime shows are that much better than any SD stuff and shows like "Lost" or "CSI" are pretty damned good. My biggest beef is with reception issues. Digital broadcasts are insuferable when your reception isn't perfect. I mean, with analog, you can deal with some ghosting or fade on occasion but with DTV, that's not watchable because thet're hard crashes when the receiver doesn't get al the bits...

Thanks again for your help.

Thansk for asking

CW
DEP's Avatar DEP 04:16 PM 06-06-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjungklaus View Post

DEP -

Thanks so much for the info. It really helps to know. Sounds like you are pretty close to me. Do you get all Atlanta channels? Seems to me that I hear about many folks that can't get 11 and I also hear about problems getting 46. Was just wondering what channels are the problem for you.

Most of the major channels are "ok - most of the time". ABC has occasional breakups. CBS is underpowered (about half strength) - WGCL has been saying that they will be upgrading their equipment, but who knows when that will be finished. WTBS has started breaking up a little at times (they broadcast Braves home games in HD - those are great when everything is working). Fox usually comes in pretty good. NBC is usually pretty good; yes, it is VHF, but the frequency is pretty close to the UHF range and the CM4228 does a good job pulling it in. 30-1 comes in good for me. Others such as UPN, WATL do not come in good. Pax is in a different direction so I don't have a chance with that until I have a rotar.

Regarding DirecTV, I have no idea what to tell you. I have a HR10-250 too, in fact I just got it pretty recently. I know the MPEG4 swap is going to happen at some point, but I gotta believe its gonna be a while.

They did drop the price about a month ago, as you would expect them to do before they replace it with a different model, but I bet its gonna be AT LEAST a year before they start swapping these babies out.

Your guess is at least as good as mine, but there is my 2 cents worth.

Definitely a crap shoot right now

One last question (at least for this post), do you see any significant improvement in the picture quality from the High Def sat channels to the OTA? I've not been real impressed with the High Def on sat. I know its compressed and was hoping the un-compressed OTA would be an improvement. Will it be?

I can only compare Fox for this. When everything is working FOX OTA from Atl is better than FOX HD (channel 88) from Directv. The best HD Directv channels (from a picture point of view, not necessarily content) are HD Net, Discovery, HD programming on ESPN-HD. Make sure everything is hooked up properly and you are outputting 1080i (or 780p).

In general it seems that antenna reception is random around Atlanta. Some people get certain stations OK others don't. I may get ABC great one day, terrible the next. The seasons (no leave versus leaves on trees affects my reception). It seems that the CM 4228 would be the antenna to use in our area. Get a compass to make sure it is aimed as good as you can get it. You may need a pre-amp, maybe not -- I've heard it both ways. The consensus, not just for Atlanta, is the "higher the better", outside is better than inside/attic (makes sense to me). That plus a lot of luck.

If you do need a pre-amp Dow Electronics in Duluth is the place to go (along with antennas and rotars).

I did hear back from an installler - Cliff from Atlanta Antenna. From various forums he seems to a very good job. He returned my message from last week, but I haven't actually spoken with him yet. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Thanks again for your help.

I hope this helps
Crwaters's Avatar Crwaters 04:38 PM 06-06-2005
I'll be moving here in a month or so (God willing and the creek don't rise) and I'll need to either take my big ol' Radio shack VHF/UHF antenna out of mu attic to put it in the new place, buy a new antenna, or subscribe to Comcast for a few months until D* puts the local HDs on the sat. If I go with a new antenna, evrybody's saying the Channel Masters are the way to go? I don't really want the antena I have going outside (it's realy big) but the house is sort-of downhill from the main road (come to think of it...it's got a lot of trees...gonna need to take my compas over there...) so I figure the antenna should be outside...
So...
Given that I need to get NBC (VHF) what's the antenna to get that's not too ugly, not too huge, will work in a hole in a RED zone according to Antennaweb (~26 miles out)
Where is a good place in the city to get these Channel Masters?

Thanks,
CW
DEP's Avatar DEP 08:53 AM 06-07-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crwaters View Post

I'll be moving here in a month or so (God willing and the creek don't rise) and I'll need to either take my big ol' Radio shack VHF/UHF antenna out of mu attic to put it in the new place, buy a new antenna, or subscribe to Comcast for a few months until D* puts the local HDs on the sat. If I go with a new antenna, evrybody's saying the Channel Masters are the way to go? I don't really want the antena I have going outside (it's realy big) but the house is sort-of downhill from the main road (come to think of it...it's got a lot of trees...gonna need to take my compas over there...) so I figure the antenna should be outside...
So...
Given that I need to get NBC (VHF) what's the antenna to get that's not too ugly, not too huge, will work in a hole in a RED zone according to Antennaweb (~26 miles out)
Where is a good place in the city to get these Channel Masters?

Thanks,
CW

Dow Electronics in Duluth seems to be the best place to get antennas, pre-amps, rotors in terms of price and availibility. The CM4228 appears to be the consensus choice for antenna. The CM4228 doesn't look like your "old school" antenna (go the the Channel Master website for a picture). Although NBC is VHF the CM4228 will /could work (it does for me) due to it's frequency (forgive me if my terminology isn't quite correct). Got to *************** for further information. They have an antenna forum with mucho information. Tigerbangs really knows his antennas.
Wakey's Avatar Wakey 05:11 AM 06-09-2005
Dow also has an antenna specifically cut for channel 11 but generally you don't need it if you are 20 miles or more out.

If you get it don't forget the UHF/VHF combiner..
vahighland's Avatar vahighland 12:54 PM 06-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEP View Post

Does anyone know if satproatlanta is still in business?

I called back in the middle of April and spoke with them about moving my CM 4228 from the attic to the roof (along with adding a rotar). We discussed what kind of house, etc and he quoted me a price and said he would get back to me. He said he had a job coming up around GA 400 and he could probably get by my place (Lawrencville) the same day (which would be in the next couple of weeks to maybe a month -- the exact day was never determined).

Well, I have never heard back from him and when I try calling the number he left no one answers and doesn't even give you the opportunity to leave a message. Same thing for a different number I got off his website.

Can anyone help me with this, or recommend a different installer?

Thanks,

DEP

Yes, they're still in business. They recently installed my Dish 942 system and an OTA. Not sure why you couldn't leave a message, you may want to try again.
DEP's Avatar DEP 02:50 PM 06-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeltz View Post

Yes, they're still in business. They recently installed my Dish 942 system and an OTA. Not sure why you couldn't leave a message, you may want to try again.

I got a hold of Atlanta Antenna instead - Cliff Sheppard. Have an appointment on the 17th.

Not sure why SatPro never called me back. Guess he doesn't need the business.
dustbuny's Avatar dustbuny 03:01 PM 06-09-2005
ATTN HALL COUNTY: Has anyone in all Hall County tried to get D* to send the locals via satelite?
porterhaus's Avatar porterhaus 12:45 PM 06-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbuny View Post

ATTN HALL COUNTY: Has anyone in all Hall County tried to get D* to send the locals via satelite?

I recently signed up with D* & live in Flowery Branch. I get the locals in SD and the national network feeds in HD. The locals are supposed to be available in HD by the end of this year, according to D*.

To get the nationals in HD, I had to speak with a separate D* department (forget what they call it) after initially getting activated. They entered my zip (30542) and said I was eligible for the national HD feeds as long as I stay signed up for the locals. I really miss having the Braves home games in HD (had them with Charter) so I am going to try a CM 4228 OTA antenna in the attic with a preamp and have my fingers crossed that I will be able to get a good signal. Wish me luck.

Edit (6-11-05):
I watched the Braves in HD last night (looks great). The CM 4228 is in the attic without a preamp yet. I am very impressed with this antenna.
lunoja's Avatar lunoja 02:24 PM 06-13-2005
Hey guys - New here....

About to move to Grayson/Loganville area, getting a two story house with a decent sized attic even higher, but S/D rules say no antennas visible. I might be able to get away with one outside in the back, but was looking at the CM 4228 in the attic and getting DishNetwork. My HDTV (30" 16:9 Sanyo) has a built in receiver.

I need ABC for LOST, CBS for Amazing Race & Fox for FALCONS FOOTBALL in the fall. Think I"ll be okay with this? Any tips?

Thanks in Advance.
rdwalt's Avatar rdwalt 07:38 AM 06-14-2005
The Amazing Race isn't broadcast in HD.
plasmamaniac's Avatar plasmamaniac 07:46 AM 06-14-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunoja View Post

Hey guys - New here....

About to move to Grayson/Loganville area, getting a two story house with a decent sized attic even higher, but S/D rules say no antennas visible. I might be able to get away with one outside in the back, but was looking at the CM 4228 in the attic and getting DishNetwork. My HDTV (30" 16:9 Sanyo) has a built in receiver.

I need ABC for LOST, CBS for Amazing Race & Fox for FALCONS FOOTBALL in the fall. Think I"ll be okay with this? Any tips?

Thanks in Advance.

The FCC says you can put an antenna on your roof as long as it is no higher than 12 feet above the roofline so no state law, local ordinance, subdivision covenants, homeowner association rules can prohibit you from being able to receive signals via an antenna on your property. They didn't want me to put up an antenna but I showed them the FCC law and they didn't pursue it any further.
lunoja's Avatar lunoja 01:25 PM 06-14-2005
Quote:


The FCC says you can put an antenna on your roof as long as it is no higher than 12 feet above the roofline so no state law, local ordinance, subdivision covenants, homeowner association rules can prohibit you from being able to receive signals via an antenna on your property. They didn't want me to put up an antenna but I showed them the FCC law and they didn't pursue it any further.

Sweeeeeeet. Thanks for the info. I think there's definitely a proper way to put an antenna up that looks classy..... especially a multidirectional one. Heck, with all the cell towers everywhere you'd think it'd be in fashion to have an antenna on your house.
lunoja's Avatar lunoja 01:30 PM 06-14-2005
Anybody have any experience with these Terk clip-on to dish antennas? They claim green-range effectiveness, but I just can't see how it could be as good as a channel master multidirectional.

anyone with experience?
First ... 18  19  20 21  22  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop