Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2005, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMO rabbit ears > Terk.

We're selling our Photo Annuals and giving the proceeds to Curesearch so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEP View Post

I got a hold of Atlanta Antenna instead - Cliff Sheppard. Have an appointment on the 17th.

Not sure why SatPro never called me back. Guess he doesn't need the business.

Can you provide contact info for Atlanta Antenna? I am desperately searching for someone that will mount my Winegard Square Shooter on my chimney (it's on the side of the house right now). I cannot receive NBC (11) and while that hasn't been an issue to date, with NBC picking up the Sunday night NFL games, it will be critical in the fall. And I suspect my lack of reception of NBC is antenna height. But I'm too chicken to climb on my roof. I'm about 12 miles from the transmitter.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEP View Post

I got a hold of Atlanta Antenna instead - Cliff Sheppard. Have an appointment on the 17th.

Not sure why SatPro never called me back. Guess he doesn't need the business.

Forgot to mention that I did a google search on Atlanta Antenna but no results.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole.clark View Post

Can you provide contact info for Atlanta Antenna? I am desperately searching for someone that will mount my Winegard Square Shooter on my chimney (it's on the side of the house right now). I cannot receive NBC (11) and while that hasn't been an issue to date, with NBC picking up the Sunday night NFL games, it will be critical in the fall. And I suspect my lack of reception of NBC is antenna height. But I'm too chicken to climb on my roof. I'm about 12 miles from the transmitter.

You have a whole year to worry about this, my fellow Atlantan, because NBC picks up SNF in the Fall 2006. ESPN will still have SNF, and ABC will still have MNF this year.

NateDawg
Old 06-14-2005, 09:17 PM
DEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole.clark View Post

Forgot to mention that I did a google search on Atlanta Antenna but no results.

Atlanta Antenna / Cliff Sheppard's number is (770) 321-6322. He is located in Marietta

DEP
Old 06-15-2005, 07:57 AM

Just yesterday I set up my HD with a Samsung receiver and an old RCA antenna just next to my tv. Amazingly, I have been able to get every channel after facing the antenna and finding the right knob selection.

The only real question I have is just that not all of the channels I'm watching are showing info for the program. Like when I goto ABC I can see info on what I'm watching and the schedule for the rest of the day. However, when I check out NBC or PBS, it just says 'DTV Programming' for the whole day. I just wanted to ask if this is because of poorer reception for that channel, or does NBS/PBS even offer their programming info?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:09 AM
DEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpater View Post

Just yesterday I set up my HD with a Samsung receiver and an old RCA antenna just next to my tv. Amazingly, I have been able to get every channel after facing the antenna and finding the right knob selection.

The only real question I have is just that not all of the channels I'm watching are showing info for the program. Like when I goto ABC I can see info on what I'm watching and the schedule for the rest of the day. However, when I check out NBC or PBS, it just says 'DTV Programming' for the whole day. I just wanted to ask if this is because of poorer reception for that channel, or does NBS/PBS even offer their programming info?

You may need to wait for the information to load in the guide. It may take up to a couple of days.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:32 AM

I've had mine for over six months and some of them never load. And when they do, it's slow at best. I've pretty much given up on trying to use it.

Phil G
American by birth, Mac user by choice.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you specified your zip code before you do a scan. I believe that you have to do that in order for it to be able to correctly pull in all of your Guide data.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:23 PM

Okay, here we go!

Bought my husband a Toshiba 30HF85 for F/D. It was HD-Ready. After doing some research, we decided we would upgrade to a Sony 30" with the tuner already built in. (One reason was that Adelphia wanted $15/mo. for an HDTV DVR with only THREE HDTV stations! RIDICULOUS!)

Now, we know with a built-in tuner, we would have to hook up an antenna to receive local HDTV broadcasts. Here are my questions.

1) We are in blue and violet zones. Will we also need an amplifier?

2) When my husband went to buy the t.v. today, Best Buy told him not to spend the extra money on a built-in tuner because it would be redundant in a year. Thoughts?

3) I'm reading that the CM 4228 is the antenna most of you prefer for our area. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcanoli1 View Post

Okay, here we go!

Bought my husband a Toshiba 30HF85 for F/D. It was HD-Ready. After doing some research, we decided we would upgrade to a Sony 30" with the tuner already built in. (One reason was that Adelphia wanted $15/mo. for an HDTV DVR with only THREE HDTV stations! RIDICULOUS!)

Now, we know with a built-in tuner, we would have to hook up an antenna to receive local HDTV broadcasts. Here are my questions.

1) We are in blue and violet zones. Will we also need an amplifier?

2) When my husband went to buy the t.v. today, Best Buy told him not to spend the extra money on a built-in tuner because it would be redundant in a year. Thoughts?

3) I'm reading that the CM 4228 is the antenna most of you prefer for our area. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello. Welcome to the forum and the world of HD. Take note that what you are trying to receive are local ATSC broadcasts, ie OTA (over the air) DTV (digital television). Versus the old NTSC (analog broadcasts) which we've all grown up with. So a DTV tuner will let you pick up the "digital stations", as antennaweb.org states it, some of which will be in HD, others only in SD.

1) antennaweb.org doesn't even show me as being able to pick up any DTV channels where I am. Yet, at the encouragement of another forum member in another thread, I threw up my Terk TV36 antenna anyway, and I can get all the DTV channels in the Atlanta market just fine, albeit on the fringe of sufficient signal strenght. But that's the glory of DTV. If you can get just enough of it, you've got all of it.

But that's with a direct 50' cable dragged from the attic through the house. When I try to use the existing coax runs the previous owner had through the house for their DirecTV, I loose about half the stations. So I am looking into an amp solution, or maybe just rerunning cable.

As that kind of shows, you won't really know till you try. If you're in the purple and blue for "digital stations", it'll come down to how long the cable is and how good the DTV tuner is, etc. But don't go running an amp until you try without it first.

2) Well, I'd say I wouldn't buy a TV just for the built-in tuner, but if you want a TV and it's got a built-in tuner, I'd use it. If you like the Toshiba, then just get a set top box. I use the LG Electronics LST-4200A, a very well regarded OTA STB (it tunes both ATSC, aka DTV, and NTSC, aka analog, broadcasts; although you'll never watch an analog broadcast again once you have DTV going). You can get that for less than $300 on the web. [I recommend you do not buy a Samsung set top box, just my two cents, although that's a commonly marketed model]

Looking at Crutchfield, the Sony 30XS955 is $400 more than the Toshiba 30HF85. That's mroe than the cost of a high quality DTV set top box. But if the extra $100 to have an all in one solution is worth it, then there you go.

As for should you pay for an integrated tuner now? Well, you're going to have to pay for one in the box or outside the box. And any set top box you can buy today is going to be just as "redundant" down the road as the tuner in the box, in case the guy does have his crystal box properly waxed.

3) Channel Master is very well regarded around here. I don't know where you'd buy one, or what they cost. I decided on a whim to go buy an antenna and Circuit City had the Terk TV36 and TV38 outdoor antennas. So I bought a TV36. Works perfectly fine. Do not waste your money on any other Terk product though. And even the TV36 and TV38 are a generic design which can be bought under other brands for less, if you take the time to look around. Channel Master, Radio Shack, even an RCA model at Wal-Mart.

Being in the Atlanta market, all the DTV channels are in the UHF band except NBC. That's on channel 10 (it'll still come up as 11-1 and 11-2 on your DTV tuner though). Which is VHF, not UHF. The CM 4228 is a UHF antenna. Will it get channel 10? I don't know. Maybe others using the CM 4228 in the Atlanta market will confirm it will get 10 just fine, if strong enough. My Terk TV36 is a VHF/UHF/FM antenna, so it's a much larger footprint than the CM 4228. On the channelmaster.com web site, mine is like a CM Advantage 3017.

The CM 4228 is nice for UHF only markets because it has very good UHF pick up (spec'd 60 mile range) and it's very compact.

So in summary, you may or may not need an amp, adding a set top box to your Toshiba or just swapping for the Sony is really a toss up decision, and the CM 4228 may or may not be sufficient depending on if it can pick up channel 10 (NBC) well.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:45 AM

Liked: 12
dcanoli1,

The Sony xs series tuner has more going for it than just ATSC or On-Air digital tuning. The tuner is also QAM capable for unscrambled digital cable channels and has a cablecard slot for the scrambled ones. (If Adelphia supports cablecards).

The 30 inch xs also has a finer pitch tube than any other 30 inch set out there. In theory, it should be capable of displaying a more detailed picture than the Toshiba, even when feed the same HD signal.

Somehow the communication with the Best Buy expert was muddled at best. The FCC will turn off all of the analog NTSC over the air broadcasts in this decade and reassign many of the existing frequencies for other purposes. This will render the NTSC tuners in the HD Ready set obsolete, not the ATSC tuners.

I have the CM 4228 in my attic in the Town Lake area near Woodstock, I don't use an amplifier and I do cleanly receive all of the Atlanta digital stations with my Sony 36XS955 built in tuner. The NBC digital signal is my strongest. I read on the net (do a search for the 4228 and click on the hdtvprimer site) that the design of the backplane grid of the CM 4228 provides strong gain for VHF 9 - 13 as well as the UHF channels.

Good luck,

LeRoy
Old 06-20-2005, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You can buy the CM 4228 at solidsignal.com. Here is the link. http://www.solidsignal.com/search_re...&I1.x=9&I1.y=4
Old 06-20-2005, 09:25 AM

Hey guys - I'm about to purchase the CM 4228 (from solidsignal) and was wondering a few things.

1) do you just hook it directly to the coax that comes into the house?

2) where do you get the antenna mast from?

3) in the grayson, lawrenceville area (or other parts of atlanta) is rotating the antenna to get different stations usually necessary? Is a rotation package recommended?

4) anyone installed this themselves? how difficult?

THANKS!

After all these years, we've gone back to an antenna on the roof? How ironic.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM

I see channel 11.2 listed in a few places. Its supposed to be WXIA weather radar and looks like its on 24 hours.

Does anyone receive this? I've not yet installed an OTA setup to my DirecTV, but having 24 hour live radar might be enough for me to make the leap.

I appreciate any reply. This forum is very helpful.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:55 PM
DEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunoja View Post

Hey guys - I'm about to purchase the CM 4228 (from solidsignal) and was wondering a few things.

1) do you just hook it directly to the coax that comes into the house?

2) where do you get the antenna mast from?

3) in the grayson, lawrenceville area (or other parts of atlanta) is rotating the antenna to get different stations usually necessary? Is a rotation package recommended?

4) anyone installed this themselves? how difficult?

THANKS!

(1) It has a balum which connects the coax to the antenna
(2) I mounted it in the attic. I nailed a short 2 x 4 near the top of one of the beams and got a mast from radio shack which allowed me to hang this mast to the 2x4 and the antenna from that.
(3 and 4) I live in Lawrencville. I have a CM 4228 in the attic along with a CM 7777 pre-amp. I put the antenna in the attic and aligned it with a compass. I also installed the CM 7777. Since I am a chicken, I did not run the wire from the attic outside behind the gutter down to the basement ( I did run it from the basement to family room). I don't think you would need a rotator if you are in Lawrenceville -- all the stations, except PAX, are in the same general direction.

Also, you can get the antenna at Dow Electronics in Duluth.

P.S. I did have Cliff from Atlanta Antenna come over the past Firiday. I was going to have him move the antenna up to the roof, but he did some minor tweeking and the attic installation will probably be fine. I did buy a rotator (the CM wireless one), but now I don't need it. If anyone needs a rotator let me know -- I'll sell it to you for a good price.

DEP
Old 06-20-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjungklaus View Post

I see channel 11.2 listed in a few places. Its supposed to be WXIA weather radar and looks like its on 24 hours.

Does anyone receive this? I've not yet installed an OTA setup to my DirecTV, but having 24 hour live radar might be enough for me to make the leap.

I appreciate any reply. This forum is very helpful.

Yes, 11.2 is a 24-hour weather radar channel showing the Metro Atlanta Counties. It basically looks like this, just in motion. It also plays whatever audio is coming off of 11-1.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:

(1) It has a balum which connects the coax to the antenna
(2) I mounted it in the attic. I nailed a short 2 x 4 near the top of one of the beams and got a mast from radio shack which allowed me to hang this mast to the 2x4 and the antenna from that.
(3 and 4) I live in Lawrencville. I have a CM 4228 in the attic along with a CM 7777 pre-amp. I put the antenna in the attic and aligned it with a compass. I also installed the CM 7777. Since I am a chicken, I did not run the wire from the attic outside behind the gutter down to the basement ( I did run it from the basement to family room). I don't think you would need a rotator if you are in Lawrenceville -- all the stations, except PAX, are in the same general direction.

Also, you can get the antenna at Dow Electronics in Duluth.

P.S. I did have Cliff from Atlanta Antenna come over the past Firiday. I was going to have him move the antenna up to the roof, but he did some minor tweeking and the attic installation will probably be fine. I did by a rotator (the CM wireless one), but now I don't need it. If anyone needs a rotator let me know -- I'll sell it to you for a good price.

DEP

Thanks much DEP. I am in-between Lawrenceville and Loganville in Grayson, so I will probably start out in the attic and see what kind of reception I get. If its bad I'll probably have someone install on the roof. Have you tried it without the pre-amp? I was just wondering because many people said an Amp isn't really necessary in ATL.

thanks again.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:48 PM
DEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunoja View Post

Thanks much DEP. I am in-between Lawrenceville and Loganville in Grayson, so I will probably start out in the attic and see what kind of reception I get. If its bad I'll probably have someone install on the roof. Have you tried it without the pre-amp? I was just wondering because many people said an Amp isn't really necessary in ATL.

thanks again.

I never tried it without the pre-amp. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it without first if you are doing an attic install. One part goes by the antenna and the other (power supply) behind the TV. Try to mount it as close to the top of the attic as possible -- even a foot or two could make a difference-- also get it aimed as good as possible. Also try not to split the coax line -- I had the line split into two -- one for the HR10-250 OTA and the other for the built in OTA tuner on my Mits WS55859 (which is hooked up to a Mits DVHS that I never use -- but that's another story). This mistake was pointed out by Cliff and he replaced the splitter with an A-B switch. I was losing about 25% by using a splitter.

Using an HR10-250 with the CM 44228 and CM 7777 (after the tweeking by Atl Antenna) I currently get 75 - 85 consistently (sometimes higher, but more importantly -- no drop offs -- it's only been a couple of days, but the NBA game came in with no drop outs for the entire game. I didn't see any drop outs on the NASCAR race yesterday, but I wasn't glued to the TV for the whole race, as I was doing yard work for much of the afternoon. CBS has also been pretty good.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 PM

Just in case some people are suffering like I was...

Tried every dang antenna sold @ CC, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Radio Shack with little or no luck. Tried everything but outside antennas, which was an option, but a last resort really, as I am NOT getting on my roof, it is nasty steep.

Finally, by the advice of reading this group and others, I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor at Sears. This, by itself, sorta still sucked, but it was better than the others.

Then on a whim, I bought a Phillips 12db amplifier at WMT and low-and-behold, everything is available with slight turns of the antenna!!!

I am so jazzed, this sh*t looks so awesome on my TV! Thanks to all the past posters in helping lurkers like me
Old 06-26-2005, 06:41 PM

I'm in Dawsonville, using a 4228 with a 7775 amp and I'm having problems picking up 2 and 11 and 46. I get TBS ok but the rest I'm having trouble with. What's the difference between a 7777 and a 7775 amp??

don't bend over in the garden granny....them taters got eyes
Old 06-27-2005, 08:21 PM
EAW

Jonnad,

New to the area. Cumming, pretty far north of Atlanta. Off 400 around exits 16 and 17.

Tried my old terk powered bow tie and got a signal reading of 24 for NBC and that was it.

Bought Silver Sensor and Phillips 12db amp and doing various dances and yoga stances I can pull most channels but nothing with regularity. So I'm looking to a plan B.

Two story house 30 miles from towers, tv on main floor, mucho woods surrounding house. I don't hold out much hope for set top but will play some more.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:42 AM

EAW,

I noticed it worked a bit better when the amplifier was at the end where the antenna was, not near the receiver.

If you do not have it setup that way, you may want to try it. I have a 6 ft coax cable from the antenna to the amp, then 50 ft into the reciever.

I also noticed that antenna is VERY finnicky, but once I found a sweet spot near a window, it was great.

You are a good bit further out from me, so you may have to go with a different setup, check out the site http://www.solidsignal.com/antenna_selector.asp. They will send you a good equipment recommendation for where you are (and a reasonable one too).

Jon
Old 06-28-2005, 11:38 AM

My history with OTA reception:

I started in the spring of 2003 with a Samsung SIR-TS160 receiver and a Terk TV35 antenna mounted outside @ approx. 25' above ground with a rotor and RadioShack pre-amp. I live in a wooded area surrounded by trees much taller than my house 27-30 miles from most Atlanta towers.

Reception was very poor due mainly to severe multi-path interference. I tried a CM3020 antenna which gave no noticable improvement. Channels would pop in and out and at no time could I count on receiving any usable signal.

A few weeks ago I acquired a Sony SAT-HD300 receiver and a CM3041 DSB pre-amp. I reinstalled the Terk when I changed the pre-amp. The difference was dramatic. I still had multi-path issues, but reception was quite dependable on every channel except PBS 30-1 (21). Even 46.1 (19) came in well.

Last week I installed a CM4228 antenna and it has seems to have completely eliminated my multi- path problems. I can receive channels: 2.1 (39), 5.1 (27), 11.1 (10), 17.1 (20), 30.1 (21), 34.1 (48), 36.1 (25), 41.1 (41), 46.1 (19), 63.1 (44), and 69.1 (43) with little or no drop-outs without having to move the antenna. I also receive 41.1 (51) out of Rome with a repositioning of the antenna. All channels come just short of pegging the Sony's signal strength meter.

I could not be more satisfied at this time!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
EAW

Thanks for the responses.

I was dreamin to think this was happening with a set top, but a boy can dream.

Forgive me, I just moved from Illinois where my FOX tower was 58 miles from my house and I got it with 100% success (outdoor DB4) with the antenna pointed slightly off center of the tower.

Of course the scenery is beautiful here and I wouldn't trade it for anything, it's just rough on us OTA people. ;-)

Based on the fact that I was able to get everything from inside the house with some crazy positioning I'm guessing a roof mounted CM4228 will do the trick.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAW View Post

Based on the fact that I was able to get everything from inside the house with some crazy positioning I'm guessing a roof mounted CM4228 will do the trick.

I had the same issues at my house, I was able to get everything just had to move my antenna around a little bit. Luckily for me though there was already an old antenna installed on my roof not hooked up to anything after we got D*, I just had to get up there position it, run a 75 foot cable down and into my window, and voila almost perfect signal on every channel with no drop outs of any kind. I think if you install a roof top antenna it would lead to the same result.

Also another note, I had earlier posted about how I could not get any program information for 11.1, but all of a sudden this afternoon, after two weeks, it started working, so go figure on that.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 PM

I'm up and running. I changed my amp from a 7775 to a 7777 and now I'm able to pull in all of ATL digitals, crisp,clear picture. I do believe the 4228 is the best antenna out there. From Dawsonville, I'm 50 miles from the towers and I'm impressed at how great the reception is from here.

don't bend over in the garden granny....them taters got eyes
Old 06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
EAW

Anywhere locally to pick up a CM 4228?

Thought at one point either Home Depot or Lowes had them but the web site indicate no.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:14 PM

Dow Electronics in Duluth has it for $53.

You can also get it online at SolidSignal.com

After shipping it comes out a little cheaper online since there's no tax.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 PM
EAW

Thanks for the info.

I may order. I like the idea of being able to return to a local store if it doesn't work though. One of those products that you don't know if it works for you until you actually put it up.