Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 24 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 22  23  24 25  26  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Atlanta, GA - OTA
jbstix's Avatar jbstix 12:47 PM 08-06-2005
Anyone else been having poor Fox 5.1 reception for the past week or so ?
It usually comes in fine, but lately I've had little to no signal at all.
Thanks

jb

Terence's Avatar Terence 07:22 PM 08-06-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstix View Post

Anyone else been having poor Fox 5.1 reception for the past week or so ?
It usually comes in fine, but lately I've had little to no signal at all.
Thanks

jb

That would be me, and it's been like that for a few weeks. My signal strength is a nice 49%! I hope they get their act together before the NFL regular season starts.
jack5083's Avatar jack5083 07:36 PM 08-11-2005
Can those of you in the Atlanta area please help with the type of outdoor HDTV OTA you have. I can get all the channels in HD that are available except WXIA(NBC). I have a UHF antena (DB4 Bow-Tie Antenna) that works great but it appears that NBC is broadcasted in VHF. I also have a preamp from channel master (7777) that I have not hooked up yet. Can someone please help me get NBC. I live in Loganville about half the distance between Atlanta and Athens (zip 30052). Any help on an outdoor antena that is not real noticable would be greatly appreciated.
cole.clark's Avatar cole.clark 04:00 AM 08-12-2005
jack5083: I have the exact same problem as you and I only live about 12 miles from the WXIA transmitter (I am located in zip code 30350). I use the Winegard Square Shooter w/an amp. I have not been too concerned about being unable to receive NBC since I mainly watch sports in HD and NBC hasn't had much. But with the rumors of NBC broadcasting the Notre Dame games in HD this year, I have to get on the stick. The first thing I'm going to try is increased height. My square shooter is only about 20 ft. off the ground mounted on the side of the house. I'm going to try moving it to the attic first. In your case you may need to look at an antenna that is tuned to the VHF spectrum. My square shooter is better at UHF as is your antenna.
plasmamaniac's Avatar plasmamaniac 06:34 AM 08-12-2005
I have heard that the CM 4228 will pick up that channel as well. Do a search in this thread with the search button up top (advanced mode) and you will find several posts about this antenna.

Here is one of the posts I found using the search function up top.

"A lot of people using UHF to get NBC are using the ChannelMaster 4228, which, while marketed as a UHF antenna, apparently picks up upper VHF very well as well. That same characteristic may or may not apply to the Silver Sensor, although your preamp test would seem to show you are getting some level of upper VHF reception."
Kevinw's Avatar Kevinw 06:55 AM 08-12-2005
Db 8 is able to get high band VHF as well as the 4228- BTW 4228 is available at Fry's or was a couple of weeks ago for 50 dollars.
I would thing the DB 4 should get Ch11 also. call Antenas Direct- real nice people. they may even exchange for th DB8 if you pay the differnence.
Crwaters's Avatar Crwaters 10:19 AM 08-15-2005
How is your reception for 30-1?
Acording to my HD-Tivo (BTW, go call retention if you want one, they're going cheep now), I have 87-95% on all the networks but like 65% for 30-1.

CW
philipgomez's Avatar philipgomez 10:25 AM 08-15-2005
30-1 is usually the lowest of the bunch for me also coming in at about 65%. Most of my other channels are 90-95% so we are in the same boat. I sometimes lose PBS if there is bad weather or a lot of rain in the trees.
atlantadan's Avatar atlantadan 07:11 PM 08-15-2005
Hi folks, I'm about dive into this looking for OTA HD. Now I need an antenna.

I live in the Morningside part of Virginia-Highlands and are probably no further than 3-4 miles for Fox5, WSB, CBS46, and XIA.

Everybody tells me that an indoor rabbit ears will work. Anybody else have a suggestion of what antenna I need? Zenith Silver?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
jlynwood70's Avatar jlynwood70 11:19 AM 08-16-2005
I live 30 miles north of Atlanta, GA. I recently purchased a CM 3020 Antenna to receive local TV broadcasts. I installed it in my attic and oriented it correctly (all Altanta stations are about 180 degrees south). I am able to receive some stations I could not previously (using rabbit ears). However, many of the stations are still very fuzzy... pretty disappointing.

I have several questions:

-Am I a good candidate for a pre-amp? Lowes (where I purchased the anetnna) has a CM Spartan 3 pre-amp. Is that ok?

-Electircal Lines - My main power lines coming into the house are very near my antenna. How problematic is that?

-I do not have foil-backed insullation in my attic, but my antenna is oriented in a gabled part of the roof that has a brick exterior. Is that a problem?

-My have about an 80 ft. run of coax cable to my TV set. I am using the quad shied RG6 cable.

-Attic installation tips - How far does the anetnna need to be from the floor and ceiling.

Any advice would be apprecieated.
kenglish's Avatar kenglish 05:36 AM 08-17-2005
You would be much better off with the antenna outside, not in the attic. Antennas inside the attic (or, generally, anywhere inside a house) only get about 5% of the available signal. Add in the noise that exists indoors, from electrical appliances, computers, etc, and they are nearly worthless.

Are you talking about Digital or Analog, or both? You mentioned channels being "fuzzy".
Digital TV would be, mostly, all-or-nothing. They will be either excellent, or non-existant, or sometimes blocky (when the signal is right on the edge of dropping below threshold).

Some of the Atlanta stations are VHF, some are UHF.
jonnad's Avatar jonnad 11:00 AM 08-18-2005
Sear's has the Zenith Silver sensor, it is great for the price (~$40).

I also hooked up a 12db amp from Phillips (got that at Walmart) and hooked it up at the receiver end. I have about 50 feet of coax between the amp and the antenna, it is all inside my house (near a window).

Without the amp, the antenna was so-so, but with the amp, I am pretty much getting everything (with a minor turning of the antenna now and then).

PBS is the weakest station right now, but since they no longer offer anything HD, it does not matter much at all.

NBC, CBS, FOX, and WB/UPN are all good and will be getting better when the new season of HDTV shows and football start up. NASCAR is really good in HDTV.

p.s. I live in West Roswell, 30075
lakebum431's Avatar lakebum431 12:42 PM 08-21-2005
Is anyone else having problems with TBS (17.1). I have a Dish Network 942 HD Receiver and the channel used to come in, but stopped sometime in the past couple of weeks. Anyone else seeing this or have any ideas why this might be happening? Also I should note that the signal strength is unchanged (in the 90's out of 100), but the channel will not lock.
Crwaters's Avatar Crwaters 02:30 PM 08-22-2005
No TBS problem here (D* HD Tivo). How about trying to remove the channel from your list and re-scan for channels.
CW
lakebum431's Avatar lakebum431 02:59 PM 08-22-2005
Thanks, I think it is a Dish 942 problem.
feeth's Avatar feeth 09:20 PM 08-22-2005
I between Newnan and Peachtree city, going to get the CM 4228. Anybody else in this area using the CM in the attic?

Thanks!
rdwalt's Avatar rdwalt 07:07 AM 08-23-2005
Is anyone having problems with NBC 11.1? Last night the signal completely disappeared.
philipgomez's Avatar philipgomez 07:19 AM 08-23-2005
It was coming in for me. The only problem I have with NBC 11.1 is that the audio drops out for a second or so ever 30-40 seconds when they have SD programing on. As soon as they switch to an HD program the sound is great. Anyone have a clue on that one?
oxothuk's Avatar oxothuk 01:55 PM 08-23-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebum431 View Post

Is anyone else having problems with TBS (17.1). I have a Dish Network 942 HD Receiver and the channel used to come in, but stopped sometime in the past couple of weeks. Anyone else seeing this or have any ideas why this might be happening? Also I should note that the signal strength is unchanged (in the 90's out of 100), but the channel will not lock.

I was just about to ask a similar question. I'm helping my sister in Marietta to set up digital TV, using a Samsung SIR-T151. Signal strength is fine (the LED is solid green and the "meter" on the CheckSignalStrength menu shows 4 bars) but no picture or sound. Removing/re-scanning doesn't seem to help.

Anyone else with a Samsung STB who is still getting TBS?
lakebum431's Avatar lakebum431 02:05 PM 08-24-2005
That is interesting. So far I have only heard of problems with TBS for the Dish 942 users. I wonder if they changed something at the station that has screwed us up. Anyone know how to find out this information?
Michael Mitten's Avatar Michael Mitten 08:28 PM 08-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

I was just about to ask a similar question. I'm helping my sister in Marietta to set up digital TV, using a Samsung SIR-T151. Signal strength is fine (the LED is solid green and the "meter" on the CheckSignalStrength menu shows 4 bars) but no picture or sound. Removing/re-scanning doesn't seem to help.

Anyone else with a Samsung STB who is still getting TBS?

Mine has been out too. I tried rescanning several times today but still couldn't get it.
tmackie's Avatar tmackie 07:28 AM 08-26-2005
I live in Newnan - I am thinking about the same setup (CM 4228). A neighbor down the street has the 4228 mounted on his roof and he get a great signal.

Let me know how the attic setup works out - my suspicion is that it will need to be outside.
storminorm's Avatar storminorm 02:24 PM 08-26-2005
I tried putting my 4228 in the attic and when I moved it outside I got a much better signal,
Dawsonville
Terence's Avatar Terence 04:32 PM 08-28-2005
I lost ch 17 (TBS) OTA today, and i tried doing several scans to get it back to no avail. 17 was my strongest ch coming in at 92%!

Anybody else having this problem?
feeth's Avatar feeth 07:09 PM 08-28-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmackie View Post

I live in Newnan - I am thinking about the same setup (CM 4228). A neighbor down the street has the 4228 mounted on his roof and he get a great signal.

Let me know how the attic setup works out - my suspicion is that it will need to be outside.

I can't hear you.....It will work in the attic, it will work in the attic...

I got some tall trees behind my house too which just happens to be northbound.
Chivs's Avatar Chivs 07:10 AM 08-29-2005
On Atlanta reception, here's what I've noticed recently.

Fox 5.1, has been erratic lately. Used to come in around 90+% and now seems to fluctuate between 40-90 causing dropouts.

TBS 17.1 has disappeared, but strangely 22.2 has appeared on the channel list which looks like it is TBS.

This is with a D* Hughes box.

Ken English posted earlier that attic antennas are worthless. I have to disagree. I live in 30076 and had a local company try to mount an external antenna a few years ago. They tried 3 different mounting points and 4 antennas before giving up, but leaving the wiring behind.

Considering I had mediocre reception using a crappy Terk antenna on top of the old TV I refused to give up and went to Lowes to pick up their ChannelMaster medium range antenna with amplifier. I mounted this in the attic, pointed south, and have 90% strength on all the major stations. YMMV.

Andrew
Terence's Avatar Terence 07:26 AM 08-29-2005
Thx Andrew!

I thought i was the only one having problems with Fox 5.1, the reception at 30058 has been hit or miss. One thing i notice with Fox 5.1, at 10:00 pm you are sure to get a strong signal. I wonder if they boost the signal for their news broadcast, b/c i never have any issues in that time frame.

I notice a new ch 20.? when scanning for TBS 17.1, but i deleted it. I will re-scan when i get home tonight and see it that is TBS 17.1 now.
MITS55's Avatar MITS55 09:15 AM 08-29-2005
TBS (17.1) has been out on my 942 about two weeks now. It was the strongest station. I wave written three emails to TBS asking what they changed, but in two
weeks, nothing back from them. It comes in fine on my 921 off the same antenna.
I sure wish someone would fix this. I used to watch a lot of TBS in HD.
vahighland's Avatar vahighland 09:52 AM 08-29-2005
Anyone have any experience or problems with installing OTA HDTV near high-tension power lines?
greenhead's Avatar greenhead 06:20 AM 08-30-2005
I live in Roswell, somewhat elevated, right on the river. So, I have a pretty clear shot to the towers. I have the 4228 per the earlier suggestions, and it is mounted on a pole in a bucket of quikrete (I live in an apartment)

In any case, I get around 88-93% for NBC, CBS, FOX, WB and TBS. And, when I first got the antenna installed I was getting between 65-75% on ABC...which was generally good enough. But now, I get almost nothing for them. Do I need to get an amp? Or, is ABC having problems? I have also tried spinning the antenna (since it is in a bucket) around 20 degrees...no luck. According to antennaweb, all of my signals should come in between 180 and 188 degrees.
First ... 22  23  24 25  26  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop