post #811 of 3275 Old 11-01-2005, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstix View Post

It has to do with the local 11.1 channel. The audio level on this channel is
at least 10-15 dbs lower than all the other OTA channels.
This is the same on my HDTivo and my Samsung HD receiver, so I know it is a signal issue.
Is this the case with any of you guys?
Thanks for the help.

same here. + the pops and clicks...

CW

We're selling our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and giving the proceeds to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3275 Old 11-02-2005, 09:35 AM

ABC Again...
lost center channel...Monday Night Football and again last night during Boston Legal and Comander in Chief. Man, the pictures are great but with no voice content....
At least they got it fixed so we could watch the shows but I wish they'd get on the ball.

CW

We're selling our
post #813 of 3275 Old 11-02-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmackie View Post

I went with the CM 4228 because it can pick up ALL of the Atlanta DTV Stations.And it hides itself well on the roof because you see right through it. WXIA-DT is on Ch 10 - the only one in VHF band & and the 4228 has good gain on High VHF Ch 9-13. Keep in mind that if you are most concerned about the DTV stations and you are a significant distance from the towers (I am 37 miles) you may NEED the UHF gain of the CM 4228. Your location is very important.....

If you want a do it all antenna both Radio Shack and Lowes sell them. Lowe's sells the Channel Master 3018 &3020 along with a good selection of their accessories including preamps, masts and mounts.

Good Luck!

thanks tmackie! are you also able to get radio (FM) reception using this antenna as well? or does anyone use thier OTA antennna for radio reception too?
post #814 of 3275 Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 PM

You cannot get FM with the CM 4228. It is high VHF only - FM transmits in the mid VHF range. FM is not too important to me - as I am a happy Sirius subscriber. But there are plenty of good amplified FM antennas out there. Check RS or Crutchfield.
post #815 of 3275 Old 11-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmackie View Post

You cannot get FM with the CM 4228. It is high VHF only - FM transmits in the mid VHF range. FM is not too important to me - as I am a happy Sirius subscriber. But there are plenty of good amplified FM antennas out there. Check RS or Crutchfield.

thanks, but i was hopeful of getting one antenna to do the trick. i seem to recall seeing a list of (channelmaster?) antennas on some site that showed antennas capable of both medium/long range tv reception as well as FM reception.
post #816 of 3275 Old 11-02-2005, 02:58 PM

just found it: http://www.channelmaster.com/pdf/AntMatrix.pdf
so wonder who has a crossfire (3671,...) or advantage (3020, ...) antenna & if they are using the FM reception as well??
post #817 of 3275 Old 11-03-2005, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm surprised I'm the first to post this. PBS 30 is back in HD. Whoo Hoo!

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #818 of 3275 Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalt View Post

I'm surprised I'm the first to post this. PBS 30 is back in HD. Whoo Hoo!

Thanks for the heads up. Unless I reprogram the channell list on my TV, there's no way I'd know a new digital channel was available. I will check it out tonight when I get home.
post #819 of 3275 Old 11-03-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apk8 View Post

Thanks for the heads up. Unless I reprogram the channell list on my TV, there's no way I'd know a new digital channel was available. I will check it out tonight when I get home.

The channel has been there all along (for the past year or so). What's new is that they are showing HD stuff again rather than just SD simulcast.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #820 of 3275 Old 11-03-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

The channel has been there all along (for the past year or so). What's new is that they are showing HD stuff again rather than just SD simulcast.

They only had the analog going for awhile, no money for digital. But, I redid my auto program this evening and voila, two different (21.3, 30.1) digital channels for PBS 30.
post #821 of 3275 Old 11-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apk8 View Post

They only had the analog going for awhile, no money for digital. But, I redid my auto program this evening and voila, two different (21.3, 30.1) digital channels for PBS 30.

The digital never went away, they could not pay the $30K for the HD feed.

Didn't I already say enough?

post #822 of 3275 Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepicman View Post

The digital never went away, they could not pay the $30K for the HD feed.

That's interesting that the signal was always there. The first two times I auto programmed my TV, it definitely did not pick up the PBS digital channels, but it did program the usually blank WSB second digital channel, 2.2.
post #823 of 3275 Old 11-04-2005, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I could be wrong but I think they may have increased their signal strength.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #824 of 3275 Old 11-04-2005, 09:23 AM

I'm glad to hear that WPBA is transmitting the PBS HD feed again. And, I hope you're right, rdwalt, that PBA has increased its power. They're the only Atlanta digital station I can't get reliably here in Suwanee (roof mounted CM 4228 and 7777). I'll check it this evening when I get home.

See my antique radio collection at
post #825 of 3275 Old 11-04-2005, 08:48 PM

Yippee! I got a great deal on an LST-4200A and I am getting everything Atlanta has to offer.

Attic mounted 4228, no amp, split once three feet from antenna, 25 foot run to tuner.

I'm glad I'm one of the lucky ones to get my hands on an LST-4200A.
post #826 of 3275 Old 11-06-2005, 02:23 PM

Hi, folks. I'm in Smyrna, with a two-week-old HDTV, using a DirecTivo box for OTA reception, hooked up to a 70's-vintage fixed rooftop antenna. I'm getting all the local digital feeds 5X5 except for CBS 46 (naturally, the only network feed I really want, and then only for SEC football). 46 comes and goes, usually hits in the 70's on the DTV signal meter. It's good much more often than it's bad, but breaking up during a ball game drives me nuts.

I've adjusted the antenna to point as dead-at their transmitter as I can manage, using info from antennaweb.org, which tells me I'm about 11 miles from the broadcast antenna. I'm right on the edge of getting a solid signal here, can anybody recommend a preamp? I'd really like to get this nailed down before the Auburn-alabama game in two weeks.

Thanks...
post #827 of 3275 Old 11-06-2005, 02:28 PM

Hey Will,
At 11 miles with a big 'ol antenna you *might* be having a "too much singal" problem. I've heard stories about people using an atenuator to pad down the signal for better performance. I duno...could be...Wan never knows.

CW

We're selling our
post #828 of 3275 Old 11-06-2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crwaters View Post

Hey Will,
At 11 miles with a big 'ol antenna you *might* be having a "too much singal" problem. I've heard stories about people using an atenuator to pad down the signal for better performance. I duno...could be...Wan never knows.

CW

I don't think that's it, since all the other channels are giving me higher signal readings than 46. But I'm certainly not an RF expert, and hey, I'm willing to try anything...
post #829 of 3275 Old 11-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Collier View Post

Hi, folks. I'm in Smyrna, with a two-week-old HDTV, using a DirecTivo box for OTA reception, hooked up to a 70's-vintage fixed rooftop antenna. .

Is your antenna cable 70's Vintage twinlead or RG-6?

post #830 of 3275 Old 11-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Is your antenna cable 70's Vintage twinlead or RG-6?

Strictly vintage, and it's definitely crossed my mind that it's costing me dBs. On the other hand, if I can avoid risking life and limb to replace it with modern coax...
post #831 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 05:45 AM

I need help figuring out what I need to do to get CBS. I get every other HD channel in Atlanta and with strong signals. I live in Sharpsburg Ga. 30277 almost in Tyrone . All stations are approximately 30 miles from me.

My set up:
Accurian HTS 6000 Digital HDTV tuner supplying signal to 32 Samsung (Bedroom)
ABC, NBC, Fox, UPN, PBS, TBS all have strong 70 to 85% signals
CBS max is 49% Tuner will not tune it in at all.

HTPC with 2 Divco FusionHD3 QAM-T PCI HDTV Tuner cards
Windows XP Media center 2005 supplying a Samsung 61 DLP.
ABC, NBC, Fox, UPN, PBS, TBS all solid signals no drops
CBS not even recognized by media center nor Fusion software.

I'm using a Radio shack antenna don't know the model number but it was $100 seven years ago. So this was before HD was out. It's similar to the channel master advantage series 3019 fringe long range http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmadv.htm

I used a very good quality rj6 cable with the absolutely shortest run possible Also tried a pre amp.
I've moved this monster to just about every inch of roof space and still no CBS.

When installed in the attic I loss TBS, NBC. Others are weaker signal but still come in.

I would like to stay in the attic if possible.

SO how do I get CBS?????

PS I love my Dual tuner Media center I'm able to record two HD shows at once. Just love it. Can also record or watch one SD channel (Cable) at the same time.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Sam
post #832 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmccool View Post

I need help figuring out what I need to do to get CBS. I get every other HD channel in Atlanta and with strong signals. I live in Sharpsburg Ga. 30277 almost in Tyrone . All stations are approximately 30 miles from me.

Sam

Answer - pick up the phone and complain to the Director of Programming.

As posted in other threads....WGLC is still running much older equipment, and only this Spring authorized spending the $$$ to upgrade to this century's technology. They are ONLY running their HD signal at 1/2 power, compared to the rest of their competitor stations. If they ran at full tilt, their old stuff would probably go boom.

The more complaints they get, the more motivated they'll be to finally get their butts in gear and get this stuff installed. It took them over 6 months just to get their OTA HD signal "stable".
post #833 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm using a Radio shack antenna don't know the model number but it was $100 seven years ago. So this was before HD was out. It's similar to the channel master advantage series 3019 fringe long range http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmadv.htm

SO how do I get CBS?????

Sam

Well, you could kvetch at WGCL, but since that has been going on for quite a while, I suggest telling them that their signal is weak AND tying the loaner CM 4228 available in the ATL DTV forum http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/ahdtv/

You will probably still be able to get NBC with the 4228 even though it is UHF only. Most people do.

TPM

post #834 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Strictly vintage, and it's definitely crossed my mind that it's costing me dBs. On the other hand, if I can avoid risking life and limb to replace it with modern coax...

Putting a pre amp such as the CM7777 on your antenna will STILL require being within 3 feet of the antenna, so you might as well replace that lossy twinlead as well.

TPM

post #835 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 07:32 AM

Quote:

My set up:
Accurian HTS 6000 Digital HDTV tuner supplying signal to 32 Samsung (Bedroom)
ABC, NBC, Fox, UPN, PBS, TBS all have strong 70 to 85% signals
CBS max is 49% Tuner will not tune it in at all.

HTPC with 2 Divco FusionHD3 QAM-T PCI HDTV Tuner cards
Windows XP Media center 2005 supplying a Samsung 61 DLP.
ABC, NBC, Fox, UPN, PBS, TBS all solid signals no drops
CBS not even recognized by media center nor Fusion software.

I used a very good quality rj6 cable with the absolutely shortest run possible Also tried a pre amp.
I've moved this monster to just about every inch of roof space and still no CBS.

When installed in the attic I loss TBS, NBC. Others are weaker signal but still come in.

I would like to stay in the attic if possible.

SO how do I get CBS?????

PS I love my Dual tuner Media center I'm able to record two HD shows at once. Just love it. Can also record or watch one SD channel (Cable) at the same time.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Sam

sgmccool,

I live in Newnan (Summergrove) and have a CM4228 on the roof with NO preamp and get CBS as well as all the other ATL stations at 80% or better with no drops! (I use quad shielded RG6 also!) NBC comes in fine as it is in the high VHF band. The beauty of a CM4228 on the roof is that it's almost invisible! I tried it in the attic and had trouble getting anything to lock on. As has been said a million times I'm sure in this forum. Having it outside and high is the ONLY way to go. The HOA's can't stop you from doing it and like I said the CM4228 is nearly invisible because of its grid design.
post #836 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 07:48 AM

I live in Buford, Georgia which is 39 miles from Atlanta. I just bought a Zenith Silver Sensor and have it next to the TV. I get all the HDTV channels except NBC (because it is VHF, need to get a separate antenna).

I highly recommend this antenna if you don't want to put one up outside. TBS comes in at 100%, WB and UPN around 90% and everything else around 80-85%.

As soon as I get a cable run to my attic, I will purchase a new antenna so that I can get NBC also. I may go with the 4228 as I have heard it is a good antenna.
post #837 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Strictly vintage [twinlead], and it's definitely crossed my mind that it's costing me dBs. On the other hand, if I can avoid risking life and limb to replace it with modern coax...

Well, that wasn't it. I installed a new balun and new coax. No dice, same performance on 46, and still around 70 on the signal meter.

Any ideas?
post #838 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, that wasn't it. I installed a new balun and new coax. No dice, same performance on 46, and still around 70 on the signal meter.

Any ideas?

Was it RG6? if it was RG59 it is not rated for the freq for DTV

Back to the original idea of a better antenna such as the CM4228 or the DB8

post #839 of 3275 Old 11-07-2005, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Was it RG6? if it was RG59 it is not rated for the freq for DTV

Back to the original idea of a better antenna such as the CM4228 or the DB8

It's RG6.

I've heard the CM4228 recommended elsewhere, if I can't get improvement by the end of this week, I'll give it a try. Thanks...
post #840 of 3275 Old 11-08-2005, 11:40 AM

I have a radio shack antenna in my attic (yikes) and get okay signal strength (not happy with picture quality, but that's another post) on 3 of 4 major networks ABC, NBC & FOX.

But, I don't even get CBS at all. That being said, there's a CBS 46 Forum board at:

[EDIT - since i've only posted less than 5x, i can't post urls yet - PM me if you want the url]

You can email the station engineer directly about this - but, from what I gather they're installing new equipment that will give hd signal strength and probably take care of these various CBS issues for us in the next month or so.

Hope that helps,
T

Sony KDSR-60XBR1 SXRD
DirecTV HD Receiver
Yamaha RX-V2600
Polk Audio - RTi10's, CSi5, PSW404, FSi3's
Denon 1920 DVD Player
Monster & Belkin - various cables, surge protectors, etc.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page