Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3265 Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CBS is located in a different position than the other channels so you need to move it to the right or left to facilitate being able to pull it in. That is why I bought a rotator so when I switch to CBS I then use the remote for the rotator to rotate the antenna to the best postion for CBS. Then it pulls it in better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3265 Old 12-15-2005, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmamaniac View Post

CBS is located in a different position than the other channels so you need to move it to the right or left to facilitate being able to pull it in. That is why I bought a rotator so when I switch to CBS I then use the remote for the rotator to rotate the antenna to the best postion for CBS. Then it pulls it in better.

The previous poster is from Dacula and from that distance, the direction of the major networks are pretty much the same direction. I live in Duluth and I have no problem with the big 5 stations without a rotor.

You said you were using an indoor antenna, I would suggest the 4228 which you may be able to use without an amplifier. I have mine in my attic and it works fine.
post #903 of 3265 Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn77 View Post

The previous poster is from Dacula and from that distance, the direction of the major networks are pretty much the same direction. I live in Duluth and I have no problem with the big 5 stations without a rotor.

You said you were using an indoor antenna, I would suggest the 4228 which you may be able to use without an amplifier. I have mine in my attic and it works fine.

That's correct. Antennaweb showed that CBS is about 6 degrees away from the rest of the other towers. Where I am, I had the the antenna rotated to the far right and it picks up NBC, ABC & FOX with NBC being the strongest at 82%, ABC at 77% and FOX at 60%. Last night I tried rotating to the far left and scanned again and it picked up CBS but the it's unwatchable at 10%-15%.

I don't want to go with an outdoor antenna so the 4228 is out of the question. I think I'm going to try a stronger amplified antenna and see if that helps.
post #904 of 3265 Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

According to an ad I saw on 11.1 WXIA (NBC) this AM, WXIA's 11Alive news will soon be in HD. The ad said something like, "An Atlanta first: 11Alive local news in HD."

It didn't specify a certain date or time. So, I have no information other than what I saw on the ad. Pretty cool. I hope they have remote HD cams and not just in-studio.

-Jason
Theater L'Idiot RIP
post #905 of 3265 Old 12-15-2005, 01:57 PM

Can someone help me? I had Fox 5.1 in the Atlanta area in the mid 60 a few weeks ago, but now I get 10 to 15? Nothing has changed with my ant which is a 4228 in the attic. All other channels are in the 70 to 80. I tried to adjust the ant, but still only can get 5.1 in the 10-15 range. I live in Newnan. It seems since all the leaves are down that the signal would be better.
post #906 of 3265 Old 12-16-2005, 08:58 AM

Wakey,
I need some help. When I installed my CM4228 without amp I got all the stations on my HDTV Set. My wifes 36" CRT in her sewing room is using an amplified set top antenna for local channels. For some reason she cannot pick up CH's 36 or 46. I purchased a CM 4 SET UHF/VHF/FM 22db Amplifier with return path. Hooked everything up (used only two outputs(8 db gain each) and could not get ANY signals period. I have the amp mounted no more than 2 ft. from the antenna. What have I done wrong? I need HDTV and my wife needs SD locals???
post #907 of 3265 Old 12-16-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmixx View Post

I'm about a week into my HDTV experience as I just purchased a very nice 56" DLP set. I've been doing a lot research which led me to this forum. I live in Dacula, which is northeast of Atlanta, right off of hwy 316. I've been trying to get my OTA locals and I see that I'm not the only one struggling with CBS. According to antennaweb, I'm approx. 26-28 miles away from all the towers but I'm still able to pick up all the locals except CBS. I'm using an amplified indoor RCA vhf/uhf antenna and my signal is good but not great. It's decent at around 60-80%. After reading the posts on this forum, are there any updates as to what's going on with CBS because like most people, I can't pick it up and the bowls as well as NFL playoffs are almost here.

Wow....I am surprised you are having the success you are with an indoor antenna! Is that a set top antenna?? I live in Lawrenceville (one mile off 316 on GA20) I have not had any trouble with CBS. I have a $25.00 radio shack uhf antenna (and amplifier) mounted in my attic. Since switching from using the dish 811 receiver I am having great success with all the channels. I would sugguest getting one of these antennas or the CM4228 ($50 at fry's) which is even better and mount in your attic.
post #908 of 3265 Old 12-16-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahl68 View Post

Can someone help me? I had Fox 5.1 in the Atlanta area in the mid 60 a few weeks ago, but now I get 10 to 15? Nothing has changed with my ant which is a 4228 in the attic. All other channels are in the 70 to 80. I tried to adjust the ant, but still only can get 5.1 in the 10-15 range. I live in Newnan. It seems since all the leaves are down that the signal would be better.

I just noticed no signal on 5.1. I have both a MCE pc and HR10-250 Tivo. Both are reporting very low signal strength. Normally, locked in 83-85% with 4228 in attic.

I'm right of 85, btw exits 109 & 111.

I was planning on trying adjusting antenna on Sat, but it sounds like that won't make a difference.

Anyone else having a problem? Any ideas?

Jim
post #909 of 3265 Old 12-16-2005, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl_Buckeye View Post

Wow....I am surprised you are having the success you are with an indoor antenna! Is that a set top antenna?? I live in Lawrenceville (one mile off 316 on GA20) I have not had any trouble with CBS. I have a $25.00 radio shack uhf antenna (and amplifier) mounted in my attic. Since switching from using the dish 811 receiver I am having great success with all the channels. I would sugguest getting one of these antennas or the CM4228 ($50 at fry's) which is even better and mount in your attic.

Yeah. It's just a set top antenna with the VHF rabbit ears and a UHF loop. Gain is adjustable up to 10. I'd be happy as long as I could pick up CBS but I can't get it.
post #910 of 3265 Old 12-20-2005, 05:07 AM

Jason,

Last night it was 'Coming in February' 11 Alive news in high definition.

Tom
post #911 of 3265 Old 12-20-2005, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombarry View Post

...11 Alive news in high definition.

I cannot wait to see at Wes Sarginson's hair-piece and Paul Ossman's beer-belly in HD!

We need to get the FCC involved in this clear case of HD abuse!
post #912 of 3265 Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombarry View Post

Jason,

Last night it was 'Coming in February' 11 Alive news in high definition.

Tom

Tom - I saw the "Feb '06" ad last night, as well. I just posted to the AHDTV Yahoo! group before checking here.

jonnad - I'm not so sure how Wes will fair. Brenda will be fine (as she is fine). Paul... well... If they have a limited number of remote HDTV crews, I hope that Suzanne Marquez's crew always get HD.

How many other markets have at least one locals news program in HD?

-Jason
Theater L'Idiot RIP
post #913 of 3265 Old 12-21-2005, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For those questioning HD on Channel 30 I just saw that this Friday at 8:00 p.m. they will be showing Great Performances - Renee Flemming: Sacred Songs and Carols. It might be on 21.1 and not 30.1. I haven't quite figured that one out.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #914 of 3265 Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Also this Saturday at 9:00 Christ with the Mormon Tabernacle Chior and then at 10:00 St. Olaf Christmas in Norway. Rose from the Golden Girls will certainly be watching that one.

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #915 of 3265 Old 12-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonATL View Post

Tom - I saw the "Feb '06" ad last night, as well. I just posted to the AHDTV Yahoo! group before checking here.

jonnad - I'm not so sure how Wes will fair. Brenda will be fine (as she is fine). Paul... well... If they have a limited number of remote HDTV crews, I hope that Suzanne Marquez's crew always get HD.

Not many that I have heard about. One in Raleigh, two in Seattle, one somewhere in South Carolina. I thought I had read about one in the DC area as well but haven't researched it.
post #916 of 3265 Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonATL View Post

We've had one here in Denver for almost two years. They even have a HD-enabled news chopper.

My cable provider is Netflix
post #917 of 3265 Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalt View Post

For those questioning HD on Channel 30 I just saw that this Friday at 8:00 p.m. they will be showing Great Performances - Renee Flemming: Sacred Songs and Carols. It might be on 21.1 and not 30.1. I haven't quite figured that one out.

I've seen a children's show on at 6 a.m. in HD last week, Friday I think, may have been Saturday. I'm sure it was HD, because I checked analog 30 which had there logo in the bottom right corner while digital 30.1 had no local logo and the PBS HD logo was in the top left corner. There was also a lot more picture on both sides on 30.1.

Al

Charter Voomer
post #918 of 3265 Old 12-22-2005, 10:06 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this with a new Panasonic Plasma, and thinking about maybe a 4228 antenna in my attic.
I'm new to DTV and have no antenna, and don't want to pay for digital cable.
Antenna web says all the digital stations are a RED antenna application.
I live within 1 mile of Fox, and very near these others in the Emory area.
We also have tons of tall trees all around the neighborhood, but we're at "average" elevation.

Would you suggest a 4228 in the attic, or what? (For RED, right next to all the antennas).

Med. Directional seems to be the standard rec. for RED on antennaweb.

Should I try settop, or what?
Thanks! Rob
post #919 of 3265 Old 12-22-2005, 10:14 PM

I got a question for all you 4228 users, plus some other rambling/answerseeking stuff

NBC is vhf, and the antenna is uhf only. Will it still pick up NBC or do you use another antenna with it?

I thought i read that some uhf antennas can pull in some vhf channels if they are strong enough. Is that correct?

At the moment i got one of the upgraded antennas that i got from voom and if i can remember correctly its a winegard HD7210P ghost killer
( http://www.winegard.com/offair/platinum.htm at the bottom of that page)

Its one of those clothes hanging looking ones. I don't have it mounted high at all, ~8 feet, but i used to be able to pull everything in, although lately its been very picky. I have one tree in front of it, roughly 50-60 feet. No tall buildings or anything.

I live close to 78 east of atl about 35 miles from the towers and Antennaweb tells me i need a Medium Directional Antenna for the majority of the channels and one with a preamp for the rest (3).

Do you think its worth it to buy a 4228 from frys up in duluth and try it out at 8 feet where i got the other antenna? Perhaps i can fit it in the attic, would that work at this distance?

Thanks
//r
post #920 of 3265 Old 12-23-2005, 02:16 PM

Has anyone noticed the new sub-channel on WHSG 63.5. It's labeled as SOAC. Don't know what it means, but it appears to be a channel for children.

Al

EDIT: I read on another forum (satelliteguys.us), that SOAC stands for:
Smile On All Children

EDIT: Sorry, I misquoted (satelliteguys.us), SOAC, It's:
Smile On A Child

Charter Voomer
post #921 of 3265 Old 12-25-2005, 10:08 AM

Liked: 12
Every listing I check out (HDTV Sports Guide, Titan TV.com) say today's NBA games are in hi def. However, WSB 2.1 is not currently broadcasting the early game in hi def.

I guess WSB gave everyone the day off.

Edit 1:23 PM - The game is now on in Hi definition.
post #922 of 3265 Old 12-27-2005, 06:48 PM

I live in Marietta, GA and put up the CM 4228 in my attic. Get ALL HD channels crisp and clear.
Both UHF and VHF. I tried splitting the signal to go to another TV upstairs but I got low signal. So I just order the CM7777 preamplifier so I can split my signal to a second TV. I am glad I purchased the CM 4228 from Fry's. Free HDTV is great.........
post #923 of 3265 Old 12-28-2005, 09:25 AM

hi:
We just set up our system this weekend. I have a Toshiba TV, Pro Brand HD3150 Plus receiver and an on the roof channel master with a rotor (had this for a while).
We live in South Hall near Lake Lanier Islands.

here are my questions...
Is channel 8 NEVER HD?
We are having the aforementioned problems with CBS, will moving the antenna help?
Any other advice is appreciated.
E
post #924 of 3265 Old 12-28-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizz View Post

I live in Marietta, GA and put up the CM 4228 in my attic. Get ALL HD channels crisp and clear.
Both UHF and VHF. I tried splitting the signal to go to another TV upstairs but I got low signal. So I just order the CM7777 preamplifier so I can split my signal to a second TV. I am glad I purchased the CM 4228 from Fry's. Free HDTV is great.........

Confirms alot. Thanks!

While I'm probably not as close to the towers as you are, I'm gonna give it a shot
post #925 of 3265 Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 PM

Hi,
Re- Atlanta PBS Channel 8 & Hi def. I just got this email from them. They seem to only show about 1 show a week in Hi Def- Nova.
(According to great HiDef tv guide at
titantv

Note from pbs (which doesn't seem exactly correct to me, I DO find full time PBA & GPB both in Non-Hi Def but DIGITAL on basic Comcast analog cable service (If your tv has a qam tuner, like my new Panasonic EDTV 42"- which looks fantastic in digital)
=======================
At this time Comcast Cable does not carry WPBA digital channel. We have
tried to get them to carry us but to no avail. Perhaps you could call the
cable company to request WPBA DT 21. Also we do not have many programs
airing in HD because beginning July 1, 2005 PBS began charging station to
use their PBS HD channel. This was a free service to us before July 1st.
WPBA 30 did not have the funds available pay for this service so we had to
stop using the channel. We have a few HD programs and are trying to get
more.

Thanks

Karen Bell
Programming Associate
WPBA 30
740 Bismark Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
post #926 of 3265 Old 12-29-2005, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Rob-Atl,

For giving us an update.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #927 of 3265 Old 12-29-2005, 10:28 AM

I recently purchased my first HDTV and I am interested in getting an antenna, but I am ignorant to the subject. I have read through this thread and found some useful info, but I was hoping someone could let me know exactly what I need. I live in Flowery Branch, roughly 40 miles from the major 4 stations towers. Would an antenna alone mounted in the attic be enough, or would I need an amp? Any suggestions for types of both would be great. I would just upgrade my Direct TV to HD, but I want to wait for the MPEG-4 receiver to come out with DVR. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #928 of 3265 Old 12-29-2005, 10:52 AM

Chuck,
We are just a few miles south of you off of Frendship road. We have had a roof mounted antenna for a few years. By ALL means talk to Cliff at Atlanta Antennas in Sandy Springs. We are big do it your selfer's and I have worked in the Engineering department of a broadcast station, but given the time and trouble, it was more than worth having him do the whole job. All in all, it was less than one year's worth of basic cable for a full blown system. now that we have HDTV, it turns out to be an ever better investment. We get ALL of the off the air channels and all of the HDTV channels (as best as I can figure).
post #929 of 3265 Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Smith View Post

I recently purchased my first HDTV and I am interested in getting an antenna, but I am ignorant to the subject. I have read through this thread and found some useful info, but I was hoping someone could let me know exactly what I need. I live in Flowery Branch, roughly 40 miles from the major 4 stations towers. Would an antenna alone mounted in the attic be enough, or would I need an amp? Any suggestions for types of both would be great. I would just upgrade my Direct TV to HD, but I want to wait for the MPEG-4 receiver to come out with DVR. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

One thing I didn't understand was weather or not you have a ATSC receiver??? If you just purchased the TV it probably has one built in. Next you need to goto antennaweb.org and type in your address to find out the "color" range that your antenna will have to be (the different colors represent how far the antenna will receive from). Go get an antenna (I would guess the CM4228 from FRY's would work) and stick it in your attic. If the signal is there but weak go get an amp. BTW you didn't happen to play for the Falcons and currently work for 790 do you???
post #930 of 3265 Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl_Buckeye View Post

I believe there is an issue with the 811 box!!! I have a TV with a terrestrial receiver as well and I just hooked my antenna to the TV tuner and...bingo a great signal on ABC 02.01!!!! I should have tried this 2 weeks ago, but out of lazyness and the fact that getting behind the TV is quite painful...i didn't. I called dish and they said they had no record of any other complaints about this and would send the issue to engineering. The guy also suggested that perhaps resetting the facory defaults might be worth trying. He didn't say this with much conviction!!

Anymore updates on the 811 box and 2.1?

I tired a few weeks ago to scan ABC 2.1 again with no luck.

I will try it again in a few hours.

I may have to borrow a OTA tuner from RS if I can't get 2.1 in time for mondays bowl games.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page