Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, they must have been doing that maintenance during the first 1/3 of last year's Superbowl. It really made me hate them. And they are Waiver Nazi's, which only add to people disliking them.

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you add an amp? Can you put your antenna on the roof? I went from 2 channels with 50%-70% strength to 95% for all stations except PAX.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheFerret
Yeah, they must have been doing that maintenance during the first 1/3 of last year's Superbowl. It really made me hate them. And they are Waiver Nazi's, which only add to people disliking them.

That's the truth. I have had dropouts on CBS ever since I got my receiver last December, until this week.

I changed antennas last week, and have (so far) solved my 19-1 CBS reception issues. The Dawgs wonderful trouncing of the Gators on Saturday (sorry, couldn't resist) was the first football game on CBS that has ever been watchable from here. Same for tonight's primetime, no dropouts whatsoever.

I am about 35-40 miles from all the Atlanta b'cast towers, in Cherokee County. I have installed a UHF Yagi from antennasdirect.com (the XG42 with a PA16 preamp) and all the Atlanta UHF digitals are stronger than ever- I'd recommend it so far.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
NBC (11-1) is having weird issues with its Dolby Digital HD programs. Tons of vocals in the surrounds being the biggest issue. What the heck are they doing? I'd rather they not broadcast in DD if they can't even get the soundstage right.

Anybody else seeing this with the HD programs on NBC?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeKlim
NBC (11-1) is having weird issues with its Dolby Digital HD programs. Tons of vocals in the surrounds being the biggest issue. What the heck are they doing? I'd rather they not broadcast in DD if they can't even get the soundstage right.

Anybody else seeing this with the HD programs on NBC?

Yes, ER was most annoying last night. It was certainly WXIA as the national feed was correctly balanced.

-tpm

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
Old 11-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by thepicman
Yes, ER was most annoying last night. It was certainly WXIA as the national feed was correctly balanced.

-tpm

Thanks for the confirmation thepicman. I've been e-mailing WXIA the last few days (just in case), and was about to start e-mailing the national folks. I seriously hope they don't disregard this. They actually had it right for awhile, but now this again.

I can't imagine why it'd be that difficult to fix.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like Fox 5 (5-1) may be having some issues broadcasting in 720p right now (Sunday afternoon). I was watching the Steelers/Eagles game and it looked really, really, good, then the picture started jumping around a bit like there was some type of technical difficulty and then the game started to look a bit fuzzier. Kind of like when Fox 5 was broadcasting the World Series in 480p widescreen--that's how this game looked. They switched to the end of the Cardinals/Dolphins game and I was then able to compare that HD broadcast with DirectTV's--no comparison. DirectTV's was much sharper, i.e., 720p. Our local Fox affiliate must have switched over to 480p widescreen for some reason.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Atlanta is joining the handful of cities where ABC affiliate stations have decided to pre-empt the Veteran's Day broadcast of Saving Private Ryan.

From CNN:

"In a statement on WSB-TV's Web site, the Atlanta station's vice president and general manager, Greg Stone, cited a March ruling in which the FCC said an expletive uttered by rock star Bono during NBC's live airing of the 2003 Golden Globe Awards was both indecent and profane."

Full story available here: http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/...d.ap/index.html

Thanks for the sheltering, WSB.

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate
My SACD Collection | My DVD-A Collection
Old 11-11-2004, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If they do not air it, they are all Commies!

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

These idiots seem to think that the weekend is the time for fine tuning and testing their equipment. I talked to a senior technician awhile back for channel 2, I believe but it may have been channel 5, anyway he said they had just received new equipment and would wait until Saturday to install it because they didn't want to interrupt programming. It's okay to interrupt golf or football or whatever on the weekend, that crazy thinking.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:10 AM

Please post OTA experiences in or near Woodstock, GA. I am trying to decide on an antenna.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:04 PM

I'm a newbie considering getting an HDTV for the holidays. We have a channelmaster antenna in the attic, with a preamp, with which we were able to get pretty good analog reception (CBS was ugly, but NBC, ABC, FOX were usually good and TBS was always absolutely flawless). My question is whether the success or failure of our analog reception will be indicative of our success or failure with digital reception? We are 25 miles due west of the city center in Douglas county, so if anybody has experience with OTA reception in this area, your comments would be hugely appreciated. We aren't interested in getting HD from any other source, so if reception sucks then my plans for digital home domination will go down in flames!

Thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Most of my analog stations look like crap. I get all my digital stations at better than 85 %.

Pull the trigger

(edit) I live in Suwanee..
Old 11-14-2004, 03:13 PM

Cool! I was probably going to do it anyway to play games and watch DVD's in HD, but it's nice to know that I'll have the ability (probably) to get OTA HD content, especially considering that I have the antenna already.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The reason that CBS is ugly is that it is in a different broadcast location than the others which are relatively close together so if you get one right the others will be good also. You may have to dial in CBS first and then move the antenna slowly until you get ABC or NBC while still getting CBS. I have a rotator so I have to occasionally move it to the CBS location if the weather is not good or the signal strength fades.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by djallred
Cool! I was probably going to do it anyway to play games and watch DVD's in HD, but it's nice to know that I'll have the ability (probably) to get OTA HD content, especially considering that I have the antenna already.

Thanks.

Not to pick nits, but until another tecnology is released, you will have dificulty watching DVD's in anything other than 480i/p. You should read the HDTV FAQ on this board.

BTW there are people 70miles from the towers pulling in ATL with a 4228 and a pre. Good Luck

TPM

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And you could be sitting on the transmitter for the local CBS station and still not get an HD broadcast because of the nitwits inside the CBS building.

Old 11-16-2004, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Ferret, I could not have stated it any better unless I would have added Channel 2(ABC) and Channel 5 (Fox) in Atlanta where they choose to work on and tune or due maintenance on the weekends when they think no one is watching TV. What IDIOTS.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by TheFerret
And you could be sitting on the transmitter for the local CBS station and still not get an HD broadcast because of the nitwits inside the CBS building.

I don't exactly agree with your assesment but it gets a 100 nonetheless
Old 11-16-2004, 06:21 PM
DYH

Quote:

Originally posted by djallred
I'm a newbie considering getting an HDTV for the holidays. We have a channelmaster antenna in the attic, with a preamp, with which we were able to get pretty good analog reception (CBS was ugly, but NBC, ABC, FOX were usually good and TBS was always absolutely flawless). My question is whether the success or failure of our analog reception will be indicative of our success or failure with digital reception?
Thanks

I have a ChannelMaster 3018 in my attic in Sharpsburg, no preamp with about 40-50' of cable run directly to my stb. I get the entire host of channels except for PAX which I have never bothered to try and reach because of its direction. I spent several hours Sunday in the attic adjusting the location of the antenna in order to pick up PBS. I found a huge difference in both height and direction depending on where in the attic I hung the antenna. Don't give up if the first place you put the antenna does not work well. What finally worked best for me was mounting the antenna with the back near the wall and the elements pointing toward the most open space in the attic. Good luck - and don't wait buy it now...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Wakey
I don't exactly agree with your assesment but it gets a 100 nonetheless

I was trying to convey that its not always about transmitter signal strength, but on occasion the fools just don't bother flipping the switch to take a national HD event (movie) and provide it in HD to their local viewing audience--and this after they denied me a waiver to bypass their incompetence in doing their job.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Atlanta Guys, I just discovered something very interesting yesterday and I want to share it with y'all. I have a Fujitsu P50XHA10US plasma and I was watching ABC (OTA) and I noticed in the upper right corner of the screen a line of about 6 horizontal pixels which were a different color and blinking. I thought, oh,oh, I'm on the verge of a dead pixels situation. I finally found out by a process of elimination and analyzing the situation that it onlly occurred on OTA ABS Channel 2-1. I called one of the technical engineers and after explaining for about 30 minutes my situation, he remembered that they had changed an SD encoder and it was tranmitting errors in that part of the picture. It does not happen on HD transmissions. Very Interesting. He is looking into correcting the problem and is aware of this forum as well as the Atlanta HD Forum. Thanks God it was not dead pixels.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM

yeah, I saw that a couple months ago and it's STILL there. The guy who mailed me back from the station said he hadn't seen it before I emailed them and they were trying to figure out how to fix it...

CW

We're selling our Photo Annuals and giving the proceeds to Curesearch so they can fight cancer in kids. Please have a look.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, they are aware of it now and he admitted it was the Harris Encoder and I told him that he should call Harris and ask for a fix. Who knows what will happen? There is so much BULLSh!T nowadays that it's hard to know when anyone's telling the truth.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by plasmamaniac
... I was watching ABC (OTA) and I noticed in the upper right corner of the screen a line of about 6 horizontal pixels which were a different color and blinking. ...

Yeah, this is discussed a few pages back. I didn't notice it was still there, though...
Old 11-17-2004, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

timmernator, I have looked and I haven't seen any reference to this phenomenom so could you find it and post if for us as I don't see any reference to it. THANKS.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by plasmamaniac
timmernator, I have looked and I haven't seen any reference to this phenomenom so could you find it and post if for us as I don't see any reference to it. THANKS.

Post #150

Crwaters has a link to it.

It actually started on the left side of the screen and has since moved...
Old 11-17-2004, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

It is funny that I just jumped into this thread right after your reference and I appreciate your input. Anyway I think they are now aware of the situation and hopefully it will be fixed. They are aware that a segment of our population are watching and aware but it's always a matter of money and resources and time to spend on what priorities.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:18 AM

I just had my 55wf655 delivered...and it looks great sitting in my living room.

Now what do I do?

I have D*, but have elected to use comcast for HDTV because I want the DVR. I plan on switching to D* when the price of TIVO comes down.

Until the comcast installer comes, how do I hook up an OTA? What input does it go into? How do I tune in the stations?

Some of you have posted the signal strength you receive. Is that an option on the TV? On the antenna?

How will I know if the OTA station is HDTV?

Sorry for all the stupid questions....just beginning to learn.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone notice that you couldn't hear the announcers at the start of the Alabama/Auburn game. It's like they forget to open the announcer's mike at the beginning and then realize it and then turn it on. This has happened several times. You can hear the referees and the audio from the field but not from the announcers. Crazy.