Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 3246 Old 05-17-2010, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This morning, Monday May 17, I awake to find no WSB 2.1 or 2.2 available. We had rain last night. I've only been using an OTA antenna for about 5 days now. The signal had been rather good here in Acworth.

So is this outage normal? Maybe my antenna. Maybe their transmitter.

The big question is if it is the WSB transmitter, do these outages happen often and is it still a top priority of the station to get back up as soon as possible now that cable and dish users are so common?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3246 Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 AM

Liked: 11
eq2675 #2791: WSB is coming in fine at 8:33 this AM. I would check your connectors to see if rain has entered the cable and is attenuating the signal.

tom
post #2793 of 3246 Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwalsh0 View Post

eq2675 #2791: WSB is coming in fine at 8:33 this AM. I would check your connectors to see if rain has entered the cable and is attenuating the signal.

tom

Thanks so much for the reply. Just checked and I am getting WSB now at 9:46 AM, but only at 1 bar. Antenna is in the attic and we have no leaks as far as I know. I'll monitor the signal and post if it goes back to normal signal strength.

FOLLOWUP
I called WSB and they stated that the station was transmitting at full power. So this eveing I adjusted my antenna to go straight to Atlanta, instead of splitting it between Atlanta and Athens (for Channel 8). We will see how things go. I do want to cancel Comcast.
post #2794 of 3246 Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

In our market, if you have trouble getting all the stations AND WGTV simultaneously with one antenna, I recommend splitting into two antennas. One VHF (really big) gets aimed directly at Stone Mountain for WGTV, and one UHF (smaller, usually square) gets aimed however it works best to pick up all the other stations. WXIA is the only other VHF station but they are typically powerful enough that you VHF antenna will pick them up however it's pointed.

The trick is to have a pure VHF antenna and a separate UHF antenna. NOT COMBO UNITS. When you combine antennas that operate in the same band, you get essentially unpredictable results. If you have a combo VHF/UHF antenna, some Googling will tell you which part is which and then you just lift the conductor leads to disable the unwanted section.

Congratulations and welcome the free HD side! Eventually you will also get used the high quality video (better than cable or satellite) and then you'll wonder how you could tolerate the low quality video before.

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #2795 of 3246 Old 05-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Doesn't channel 8 transmit from Stone Mountain?
slightly differnet than Athens.
post #2796 of 3246 Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

Congratulations and welcome the free HD side! Eventually you will also get used the high quality video (better than cable or satellite) and then you'll wonder how you could tolerate the low quality video before.

It's been ages since I have watched a Braves game on TV, until the last 2 nights. The game experience is fantastic on WPCH-TV. BTW, signal strength has been very good since pointing the antenna directly to Atlanta. I am in Acworth up I-75 North.
post #2797 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq2675 View Post

It's been ages since I have watched a Braves game on TV, until the last 2 nights. The game experience is fantastic on WPCH-TV. BTW, signal strength has been very good since pointing the antenna directly to Atlanta. I am in Acworth up I-75 North.

Agreed.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am not a sports fan by any means. But just last night I lingered for quite a while watching the Braves on Channel 17 solely to drink in the quality of the picture.
post #2798 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 AM

eq2675 & jokester: Me toooo! I can't believe the quality of picture on my old 27" RCA using a CECB and S-video. Love the color saturation. I tried to explain to my boss[wife] why it intrigued me so much, but was as successful as usual... chuckle.
Besides, the Braves won last night, bottom of the 9th, what a change of pace, no?

tom
post #2799 of 3246 Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

I was AT that game, but we had to leave in the middle of the 9th. Tied game, threatening extra innings, and the folks we were with had to get their kid home for bed. They go to a lot of games so it just wasn't a big deal for them. Me, I go to like 1 or 2 games a year Heard the RBI double on the radio in the car :/

Oh well. Thank you WPCH for the nice OTA quality!

post #2800 of 3246 Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM

I'm having problems as well with WGTV - on my best TV, a 50" Panny plasma. My Sony and 2 Samsung LCDs receive it fine. I started out with a Channel Master 4220 on the roof that picked up pretty much everything except WGTV and then added a RCA ANT 751 via a splitter/combiner in the attic to see if it would help per an earlier post. Some but not all TVs could get WGTV. I then tried an amp on the RCA - no difference. I then tried a cheapo Monoprice amplified outdoor antenna in the attic that worked on everything but the Panny plasma, It shows 0 signal strenth yet the other tvs show 50% or better on WGTV. Any advice? We really miss WGTV on the big TV.
post #2801 of 3246 Old 06-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayon View Post

I'm having problems as well with WGTV - on my best TV, a 50" Panny plasma. My Sony and 2 Samsung LCDs receive it fine. I started out with a Channel Master 4220 on the roof that picked up pretty much everything except WGTV and then added a RCA ANT 751 via a splitter/combiner in the attic to see if it would help per an earlier post. Some but not all TVs could get WGTV. I then tried an amp on the RCA - no difference. I then tried a cheapo Monoprice amplified outdoor antenna in the attic that worked on everything but the Panny plasma, It shows 0 signal strenth yet the other tvs show 50% or better on WGTV. Any advice? We really miss WGTV on the big TV.

I am glad to see that my aunt isn't the only one with reception problems with WGTV. She can get all the local channels except that one and WPXA (probably because they moved their antenna?)... She is using a cheap Craig 15'' LCD TV... OTOH, my mother in the same apartment can pick up WGTV with her older Insignia (?) television with a Radio Shack converter box... go figure. FWIW, they are near East Point with eastward facing windows. Why is WGTV so hard to pick up?
post #2802 of 3246 Old 06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I started out with a Channel Master 4220 on the roof that picked up pretty much everything except WGTV and then added a RCA ANT 751 via a splitter/combiner in the attic to see if it would help per an earlier post.

The 4220 is specified as UHF only. While it may provide some gain at VHF, you should not count on it.

The RCA ANT 751, as far as I can tell from Googling, does seem to cover VHF, although it's pretty small so I can't imagine it has much effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbot101 View Post

Why is WGTV so hard to pick up?

Third question in the FAQ (link below). WGTV is VHF and relatively low power.

I have a large (6 foot long) VHF-only antenna in my attic aimed straight at Stone Mountain just so I can get WGTV. Bulky but relatively cheap. Use a VHF/UHF combiner (not just a "combiner") to combine it with a UHF-only antenna for best results. I'm using a DB2 for UHF.

A friend used a ClearStream 5 antenna (not cheap) to pull in WGTV at his house in Fairburn.

post #2803 of 3246 Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Trying to get WGTV as well.

Can anyone recommend a decent indoor VHF antenna? I lived in EAV (fairly close to Stone Mountain) and now between Lenux and VaHi and have yet to get WGTV. My parents, who live in N Buckhead, get great reception. I have no attic to work with and would just as soon avoid getting on the roof. Everything else comes in OK with a simple set of bunny ears/uhf circle combo. At the last house I got one of those omnidirectionals but it did little to solve my problem.

Since WGTV is one of 2 possible VHF, is there a better way to aim the rabbit ears (thats VHF right)? Do I just point them in the direction of stone mountain?

Can anyone recommend an OTA DVR?

[edit]

I did some research into LOS vs 1 edge. At 25 ft (top of house) I get LOS on WGTV, however at ground I get 1 edge. Looks like I need an outdoor antenna. I have a Winegard Ms-2000 Metrostar® Omnidirectional Amplified Antenna however I am guessing this is really only good for UHF? What kind of grounding is needed? Just find a cold water pipe? What gauge wire should I be running?

post #2804 of 3246 Old 06-28-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Can anyone recommend a decent indoor VHF antenna?

It's in the same place as the unicorns.

Quote:

Tivo!

Based on that TVfool plot, you need to eliminate any amplifier in your system. You are in overload city!
post #2805 of 3246 Old 07-02-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by winmutt View Post

Trying to get WGTV as well.

Can anyone recommend a decent indoor VHF antenna? I lived in EAV (fairly close to Stone Mountain) and now between Lenux and VaHi and have yet to get WGTV. My parents, who live in N Buckhead, get great reception. I have no attic to work with and would just as soon avoid getting on the roof. Everything else comes in OK with a simple set of bunny ears/uhf circle combo. At the last house I got one of those omnidirectionals but it did little to solve my problem.

Since WGTV is one of 2 possible VHF, is there a better way to aim the rabbit ears (thats VHF right)? Do I just point them in the direction of stone mountain?

[edit]

I did some research into LOS vs 1 edge. At 25 ft (top of house) I get LOS on WGTV, however at ground I get 1 edge. Looks like I need an outdoor antenna. I have a Winegard Ms-2000 Metrostar® Omnidirectional Amplified Antenna however I am guessing this is really only good for UHF? What kind of grounding is needed? Just find a cold water pipe? What gauge wire should I be running?

I live in particularly challenging reception location in 30307 near you. Are you getting all the channels except WGTV with your omnidirectional antenna?

WGTV is the most difficult channel for me to get. My solution is particularly complex with three antenna and I would not recommend my solution to you if you do not need to go this route. Reception is either easy or else it takes time to experiment.

Are you using an old 4:3 480i TV with no digital tuner and thus need an OTA DVR?
post #2806 of 3246 Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 AM

winmutt 2803
There are two on the 'new' market. The Philips series, which is discussed beyond belief on the forun, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

and the Dish Network DTVpal DVR. The former has a HDD and DVD recorder, and ATSC & analog tuners. The latter can record two broadcasts while at the same time playing a 3rd program from the HDD. I think it is yakked about here also.
tom
post #2807 of 3246 Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

I live in particularly challenging reception location in 30307 near you. Are you getting all the channels except WGTV with your omnidirectional antenna?

WGTV is the most difficult channel for me to get. My solution is particularly complex with three antenna and I would not recommend my solution to you if you do not need to go this route. Reception is either easy or else it takes time to experiment.

Are you using an old 4:3 480i TV with no digital tuner and thus need an OTA DVR?

DVR, no I just miss out on good shows. We pretty much only watch PBS in my house. I got sick and tired of paying for cable only to have to watch commercials AND sitting on a Sunday afternoon with 100 channels and none worth watching. I think I am just going to get a tuner card for my server and use that as a DVR.

I have a simple non amp bunny rabbit ears + loop combo right now. I have another omnidirectional antenna but it is located at my old house and I need to move it over and go from there.
post #2808 of 3246 Old 07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sorry, I took dvr to be receiver rather than recorder. Usually that is a pvr, or a personal video recorder. For that I use a HD Home Theater Computer and Windows 7 Media Center.

Try your omni directional antenna. I never have any success with them but like I said I am in a difficult reception area. You have broadcast towers arrayed around you like I do and you may need a rotor, (I don't like fooling with rotors so I use multiple antennas). If your omni directional antenna does not work see what your neighbors are using or search this forum with your zip code or neighborhood name and see what antenna others are using. If that doesn't help I would suggest you start simple with a sliver sensor or a channel master 4220 inside, (before running cable and setting up a mast), and experiment with positioning the antenna. Small changes in where you put the antenna and where you point it can make a big difference. Go to Frys and get your antenna, if you are not satisfied take it back and step up to a channel master 4221 or the monster 4228. However, I think reception is simple for most people and one small antenna does the trick. Getting reception is a much art as science. Start small and simple.
post #2809 of 3246 Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If UHF channels are coming in fine, but VHF channels with similar signal strength are not, the most likely culprit is indoor interference. It could also be other, but I would try relocating the antenna farther away from electronics, like the television. These can kill VHF signals, while leaving those on UHF in good shape.

The single classic bowtie is a good start-up antenna. It even works with modern antenna inputs with one of these: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Good Luck
post #2810 of 3246 Old 07-03-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 156
If you want a good OTA DVR, go pick up one of the clearance Tivo HDs ($100 at certain Blockbuster stores, have to call around to find one) or, today only (I think) go to woot.com and get the Tivo HD XL for $180.

Then signup for service at tivo.com using promo code PLSR to get lifetime Tivo service for $299. Yes, it's worth it.
post #2811 of 3246 Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 PM

I have a large (6 foot long) VHF-only antenna in my attic aimed straight at Stone Mountain just so I can get WGTV. Bulky but relatively cheap. Use a VHF/UHF combiner (not just a "combiner") to combine it with a UHF-only antenna for best results. I'm using a DB2 for UHF.

Please - What's the make/model of your antenna?

I did find out the problem on my big plasma - apparently WGTV had changed their frequency ever so slightly and I had to scan multiple times before it would find the new frequency and erase the old. My next task is to go back to my RCA and hook it back up - see if it makes any difference. I'm still getting some audio dropouts on the Monoprice. I tend to do this early on a weekend morning just because it's so doggone hot in my attic.

Thanks - Crayon
post #2812 of 3246 Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Please - What's the make/model of your antenna?

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town and not keeping up with AVSforum.

It took me a second to realize you were quoting one of my earlier posts. Use the "Quote" button, and don't delete out the "quote" pseudo-HTML that the reply screen creates for you ...

I have a Winegard YA-1713 for the VHF-only antenna aimed straight at Stone Mountain. I bought it locally either at Fry's or Dow. No, wait, I think I got it from Solid Signal.

WGTV isn't adjusting their frequency. It sounds like you have a marginal signal and just needed to keep rescanning until you caught it. You might try aiming the antenna while putting your TV on Channel-8 aiming mode. Most TVs can be told to give you the strength of a particular RF channel, even if you have scanned it into your channel list yet.

post #2813 of 3246 Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 AM

Winmutt,

You are sitting in middle of some ultra powerful signals. While no one has is a reference on the maximum input that a TV tuner can handle, I think that a minus10dBm level is considered a maximum. Your strongest signals are possibly twice that. Notice that your TV Fool Pwr(dBm) column turns into pinks and reds.

So the sheetrock, insulation, brick, etc are helping you by attenuating the signal.

I don't have enough experience to tell what will be the best thing to do but you might consider a separate outdoor antenna for Channel 8 and a simple A/B switch. I would think any antenna would do (even homemade).
post #2814 of 3246 Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Hello all, new to the forums.

I recently built myself a new computer:
AMD Athlon X4 630
OCZ 4 GIG DDR3
Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H

I also bought a Kworld ATSC tuner for real cheap awhile back but never used it because didn't have a computer with the right specification. The antenna that came with the usb tuner picked up only two spanish channels. So I went out and bought a cheap RCA antenna. Even with this new antenna, it only picks up the two spanish channel.

Can anyone help me here? I want to pick up OTA channels but even with the new antenna I'm not getting anywhere. Where do I have to postion the antenna to get the best reception? How do I check if there are any towers nearby? I live in a sub division where it goes down hill.

Thanks.

-edit-
Located in Buford, GA near the mall of ga. I'm using a RCA antenna with VHF and UHF connected to a Kworld UB435-Q

http://www.tvfool.com/modeling/tmp/9.../Radar-All.png
post #2815 of 3246 Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 AM

I got an error message from your TV Fool link so I can't see any of that information. Can you tell us which RCA antenna (model #) and whether it is inside, outside, near a window or whatever.

Telling us something about the station that you get do get would help. Univision - WUVG appears to have two transmitters. Real 17 is probably near Buford. If you type 17 into your tuner do you get this spanish channel?
post #2816 of 3246 Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Its an indoor RCA antenna, ANT111 NA CAW 05.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbec0a72acabe

I was only able to pick up two spanish channels with the supplied antenna and RCA antenna.

Thanks for the help!
post #2817 of 3246 Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Okay
What I would do if I was you is diagnose a little bit.
The fact all you are getting the one spanish channel is one key.
Print out the TV fool and go get a compass. Walmart is supposed to be good for compasses.

You need to think about what the house structure, the house orientation and the hills are doing to the signal. Signal losses to brick, insulation, and drywall really reduce quality. Indoor antennas rarely deliver acceptable performance. If Univision is the station that you are getting, then it is probably real 17 at 68 degrees. You need to figure out why all the stations at roughly 225 degrees are not comining in.

I recently bought an RCA Ant751 that I think is a reasonably good outside antenna (the price includes mount and 50 ft of cable) but you will probably ultimately need more gain than what this antenna offers so we need some others to chime in.
post #2818 of 3246 Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 AM

wskc dt is on the air with korean programing
wskc dt 1
wskcdt 2
post #2819 of 3246 Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

It was simulcasting WATC before, right? Or not on the air at all?

post #2820 of 3246 Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:

It was simulcasting WATC before, right? Or not on the air at all?

before the digital change it was simulcasting as WATC TV , a religious TV station .
but now is a Korean channel and it is called MBC Atlanta
my samsung tv scans it as
WSKC DT 1 ______480 Progressive MBC Alanta
KSKC DT 2 _______480 progressive MBC Atlanta

and here in Cleveland Ga the signal is very good
and the signal is stronger than the other korean station WKTB channel 47
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page