Atlanta, GA - OTA - Page 96 - AVS Forum
First ... 94  95  96 97  98  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Atlanta, GA - OTA
Steve_Weggus's Avatar Steve_Weggus 05:35 PM 10-11-2010
Looking at the compass headings and distances, there appears to be some contradictions on that report. IE if you are within 20 miles of Columbus, GA, then I don't see how you can also be east of Athens. Maybe I am wrong. The CM 2016 is a preety good smaller antenna. Specs can be found on Stark electronics website.

metalav8b's Avatar metalav8b 06:12 PM 10-13-2010
I'm not getting any electronic programming guide information anymore from WSB-TV (neither 2-1 or 2-2 retro) on any of my TV's or DVR. Anyone else experiencing this?
awindsor's Avatar awindsor 02:28 PM 11-02-2010
I need a sanity check (my last one bounced. )

I live in West Georgia. I am about 40-50 miles from the major transmitters. They are all at about the same compass heading. Recently I started having problems getting 46 (which according to TV Fool should be one of my better stations). If I turn to get 46 better, I start losing 5 (and they both should be at the same compass heading). I was getting 8 and 30 with no problems and now they are gone.

I have an 10 year old Channel Master antenna (the big one for VHF/UHF) with a preamp mounted outside my house at a height of about 20 feet above the ground.

Do I have too much antenna, not enough, not high enough, or too old? Any recommendations from our learned group on the forum? I have tried turning it every way possible and if I get one station, I lose another. Turning the antenna directly toward Atlanta causes 46 to go away. I can't get 46 to come in at more than 65% (note that 11 and 2 will come in at around 98%).

Thanks for your help in advance.

Big Al.
snake0637's Avatar snake0637 11:44 AM 11-10-2010
Big Al,

Pretty puzzling since 46 is essentially the same compass heading, give or take a few degrees. I am the other direction, east, but about the same amount of mileage from Atlanta as you. I just point my antenna west. I will say, however, that 46, which has always been solid for me, has lost signal strength. I noticed it while trying to watch football. Its signal strength is lower and reception has been getting more pixelated, but it has not totally dropped out. Maybe 46 is having trouble? Or the weather? Some people say cold weather hurts, some people say it helps.

I have to use a separate VHF antenna for 8 and 11, and 8 rarely comes in, even though it is closest to me since it is in Stone Mountain. Maybe separating vhf and uhf would help and incorporating a preamp that allows for the strong signals if you are not already using them. I would contact 46, if possible, before changing anything since it worked fine before.
-steve
sanchez13's Avatar sanchez13 02:15 PM 11-23-2010
Does WNEG-Dt moving its transmitting tower ? according to RabbitEars.Info it shows another tower near Gainesville Ga, if that is true then the signal will reach as far as south of interstate 20 and will reach the north part of Atlanta and much of the North east Ga http://maps.google.com/?q=http://www...COA%26state=GA
Neil Griffin's Avatar Neil Griffin 02:44 PM 11-23-2010
I believe that may be the WNGC 106.1 tower. Having a CP that puts it in more of the Atlanta market may add to its sale value. What they really need is to figure out how to get it reassigned from the Greenville to Atlanta DMA so they can get must carry.
Don F.'s Avatar Don F. 05:06 PM 11-23-2010
WNGC began as WLET in Toccoa in the late 40s was sold several times, moved to Gainesville, Athens or where ever the money was in the 90s. WNEG TV also started in Toccoa, and was purchased my UGA a couple years ago and has gone down hill since.
Don F.'s Avatar Don F. 03:02 PM 11-29-2010
It was announced this week that UGA has lost its butt on ch 32, which is not a surprise with the sorry programing they aired. The next move would be to convert 32 to their network of pbs stations.. Sounds like a great idea, that way they could cease broadcasting on three low power stations they try to cover n e Georgia with at the present time. That would be blessing for the viewers.. I live four miles from the local pbs lp transmitter (ch8)... and have problems receiving a steady signal....while 32 is steady. Hopefully they will go in that direction.
yo-mama's Avatar yo-mama 06:28 AM 12-11-2010
I noticed the weather channel is now at 36.2. Does anyone know what is planned for 11.2 ?
ChrisC47's Avatar ChrisC47 11:08 AM 12-12-2010
For the record, Don F. above is talking about WNEG. A news search yields articles about the situation here and here. It's worth noting that the GPB network is, so far, exclusively VHF and WNEG is UHF 24.

EDIT: not quite true anymore, thanks Trip for the correction below

Regarding the state/GPB network, I link directly to this PDF in the FAQ:

http://www.gpb.org/files/pdfs/tv_stationmap2A.pdf

... but I can't find it on the GPB website, to confirm that I've got the latest. Can anyone find a map, or even a listing of OTA TV stations on the GPB site? That's kind of a disappointment ...
ChrisC47's Avatar ChrisC47 11:21 AM 12-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-mama View Post

I noticed the weather channel is now at 36.2. Does anyone know what is planned for 11.2 ?

That's actually what I came in here to note. I check it every day, so it just moved this weekend. I've updated the FAQ (link below). No idea what this means for 11.2 .
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 11:43 AM 12-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

It's worth noting that the GPB network is, so far, exclusively VHF and WNEG is UHF 24.

WNGH. WJSP.

Quote:

Can anyone find a map,

http://www.rabbitears.info/ownermap....s%20Commission

Quote:

or even a listing of OTA TV stations on the GPB site? That's kind of a disappointment ...

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...ons+Commission

Not on GPB's site, but still...

- Trip
yo-mama's Avatar yo-mama 12:14 PM 12-12-2010
Quote:

That's actually what I came in here to note. I check it every day, so it just moved this weekend. I've updated the FAQ (link below). No idea what this means for 11.2 .

Maybe they will put Antenna TV on 11.2 ...I do not see an affiliate in Atlanta yet

http://www.antennatv.tv/
jsteelio's Avatar jsteelio 08:17 PM 12-14-2010
Has WPBA (30.1) signal lowered for anyone else? I live in Roswell and am only getting 3 bars when I use to get 7-8 bars out of 10.
rdvegas's Avatar rdvegas 08:47 AM 12-16-2010
"I come from a long line of dull white guys."
WSB anchor John Pruitt, who retires tomorrow after 46 years in TV

During the 14 years I spent in Atlanta, John Pruitt was my favorite. He was always very professional, and I can't recall a time when he became emotional reporting a breaking story. When he was teamed with Chuck Moore at WXIA-11 was what I consider to be the perfect teaming.
mpmartin1968's Avatar mpmartin1968 09:05 AM 12-17-2010
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to install an outdoor antenna here in ATL? I don't have the equipment or skill to install an antenna on my two-story house and also ground it properly. Thanks!
Fiend's Avatar Fiend 04:27 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmartin1968 View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to install an outdoor antenna here in ATL? I don't have the equipment or skill to install an antenna on my two-story house and also ground it properly. Thanks!

Have you considered putting it in your attic? Very easy DIY project...
mpmartin1968's Avatar mpmartin1968 09:38 PM 12-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend View Post
Have you considered putting it in your attic? Very easy DIY project...
I have one set up in the attic. It works fairly well, but the PBS stations don't come in well at all. I think a properly installed rooftop antenna will work much better.
tkrhdtv's Avatar tkrhdtv 02:11 PM 12-21-2010
CBS46's NFL Dec 19 broadcast - PQ

I was looking at both my DirecTV HD feed and the OTA feed, and the picture quality of the game seemed not up to what I recall a year or two ago as the usual high quality for sports feed from CBS. It was IMO very pixilated and just overall bit starved for things like motion, and fairly uniform background like grass, single color coats/jackets, etc. Anyone else notice?
otbuzzard's Avatar otbuzzard 01:51 AM 12-25-2010
It says on WANN's Atlanta Programming Guide that WTBS is coming soon to channel 26. Is is coming the first of the year?
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 03:12 AM 12-25-2010
The permit's expiration date has been extended twice and is currently set to expire on January 12, so I'd say it is within the realm of reason.

- Trip
Don F.'s Avatar Don F. 03:04 PM 12-31-2010
The TV gods are listening... UGA has ask the FCC to allow them to tie WNEG 32 (24 I think) to the PBS group. Since UGA purchased the Toccoa station it has been a pityful effort to be a television broadcasting station. If the FCC approves, GPTV could shut down three low power vhf transmitters in n e Ga, as WNEG covers the area with a much better signal than the lp xmitters. Could save them some money...
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 03:30 PM 12-31-2010
The announcement I read said it will not simulcast GPB and will be programmed independently, while still under GPB control.

- Trip
Don F.'s Avatar Don F. 05:24 PM 12-31-2010
I had hopes GPTV would shut down the local lp ch 8... My antennas are pointed toward Atlanta, and did recieve the GPTV ch 8 signal out of Stone Mt. When the local went on the air I lost Stone Mt. and the local ch 8 is in and out, not acceptable, due to antenna direction... They orginally applied for ch 10, same as WXIA 11 Atlanta. I objected to killing WXIA ota in my area, and to my surprise GPTV ask for ch 8 and was granted 8... Now if they would just kill the local ch 8.. just can't be happy...
Mattswad's Avatar Mattswad 09:13 AM 01-01-2011
I get a low/mid reception quality bar reading for digital physical channels 23 & 56. I cannot ever get a picture or a callsign reading on my converter box. I get both sub-channels from .1 all the way through .99.

I thought 56 may be the media-flo or PSIP channel but I don't exactly know much about either type of data transmission & media-flo seems to be broadcast on ANALOG channel 56 from my interpretation and not DIGITAL 56.

I (apparently) misread that WJSP-LD (Channels 28.1/28.2/28.3) was being broadcast on PHYSICAL channel 23....but that doesn't make sense considering that I barely get a signal meter reading on 28.1/28l.2/28.3 and get about that same amount on 23.1 all the way through 23.99

I live near Hartsfield Airport in Southwest Atlanta.

And heck, while I'm at it in posting my first post, here are a few other things I've wondered:

*2-I thought WANN was going to use one of the 2 sub-channels they currently air THE GROOVE audio on to air 94-9 THE BULL's HD Radio sub-channel that began carrying THE LEGEND (formerly 96-7 FM) on HD949.2

*3-What will WTBS-LD Channel 26.? be once it airs? The WTBS LD (analog 26) aired a simulcast of WANN-LD 32.2 and MTV Tr3s programming. It wouldn't make any sense to to the same with WTBS flash cutting to 26 digital

*4-Is WYGA-LD still airing AMG TV on 16.2 or has that station gone silent? I can only pick up 16.4 very sporadically and it seems to be the same infomercials that are airing on 16.2

*5-I had GREAT signal for WCIQ channels 7.1/7.2/7.3 out of Alabama for a week or 2 (a little over a month ago maybe?) and now I cannot get a signal. Did anyone else experience this? The same applied to WJSP channels 28.1/28.2/28.3

*6-What are the remaining ANALOG stations left in the Atlanta area? I can only receive Channel 4 (Azteca America) but I have read that Channels 23 (Home Shopping Network), 26 (MTV Tr3s), 28, 32 & 49 are still on air as LP's. However, I get NOTHING from any of them. Can anyone provide a link or list as to the remaining LP stations on-air?

*7-Can anyone pickup WSKC-CD Channel 22.1/22.2? MBC programming is supposedly on 22.2. What is on 22.1?

*8-What type of programming is on WDWW-LP Analog 28? What type will air one it flash-cuts to Digital 28?
rdvegas's Avatar rdvegas 09:02 AM 01-02-2011
Mattswad"

Some of your answers can be found at http://www.tvfool.com/ Just click on "Click Here" link in the left colum, and insert your address, zip, and antenna heigth. Ypu can also check http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php Click on Atlanta, and then click on the expand all in the upper right.
ChrisC47's Avatar ChrisC47 08:15 PM 01-03-2011
Also I've got a simpler listing linked in my signature below.

However it leaves out several of the LPs you mentioned, and isn't as complete (or useful) as Trip's more general listings at rabbitears.info .
ChrisC47's Avatar ChrisC47 08:20 PM 01-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmartin1968 View Post

I have one set up in the attic. It works fairly well, but the PBS stations don't come in well at all. I think a properly installed rooftop antenna will work much better.

Could be. Is the attic antenna include a VHF aimed straight at Stone Mountain? That's the only thing that's worked for a lot of people here to get WGTV/8. See the FAQ linked below.

WPBA/30 has been a little glitchy for me lately, maybe they've had to reduce power temporarily.
mpmartin1968's Avatar mpmartin1968 09:26 PM 01-04-2011
Quote:

Could be. Is the attic antenna include a VHF aimed straight at Stone Mountain? That's the only thing that's worked for a lot of people here to get WGTV/8. See the FAQ linked below.

WPBA/30 has been a little glitchy for me lately, maybe they've had to reduce power temporarily.

I don't have a separate VHF aimed for Stone Mountain. I think I'll try that. Thanks for the FAQ post you linked to. Since I live in the NW burbs, I may also try pointing it toward the PBS station NW of here and see what happens.
sanchez13's Avatar sanchez13 07:05 AM 01-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by

*7-Can anyone pickup WSKC-CD Channel 22.1/22.2? MBC programming is supposedly on 22.2. What is on 22.1?
[COLOR="DarkGreen"
View Post

i get this channel with out problems ,, in fact is one of the strongest low power digital channel that i get in my area both have korean programing 22.1 MBC korean , 22.2 some times they have informercials and some times korean [/color]

*8-What type of programming is on WDWW-LP Analog 28? What type will air one it flash-cuts to Digital 28?

this channel has never been on the air and it is license to Cleveland Ga , , http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=125861
First ... 94  95  96 97  98  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop