Atlanta, GA - OTA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3269 Old 03-28-2004, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On Thursday, I joined the ranks of the HDTV owners. I have Comcast HD here in Atlanta, but I'd like to enjoy the other local channels that they don't include. My Zenith has a built-in tuner, and I'm only about 10 miles from the towers. However, I live north of the city in Sandy Springs. My apartment is on the top floor of a three story building, but there is a building next door of the same size. Does anybody have a similar experience? If so, could I get away with an indoor antenna like the Silver Sensor? What's a good VHF antenna to pick up WSB? Thanks in advance.

[MOD EDIT]
Digital Ch. | Call letters | Affiliate | Primary Resolution
10 | WXIA | NBC | 1080i
19 | WGCL | CBS | 1080i
20 | WTBS | TBS (local) | 1080i
25 | WATL | WB | 1080i
27 | WAGA | FOX | 720p
39 | WSB | ABC | 720p
41 | WATC | TV57 | 480i
42 | WTHC | The Atlanta Channel (local) | 480i
43 | WUPA | UPN | 1080i
44 | WHSG | TBN | 480i
48 | WUVG | Univision | 480i
51 | WPXA | PAX | 480i

Contact information for the local channels: http://www.georgiahdtv.com/ht/atlanta_station_info.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3269 Old 03-29-2004, 09:40 AM

I'm in Atlanta too, about 4-5 miles from towers - near Clairmont Rd. and I-85. Anyway, you'll find tons of recommendation of the Zenith Silver Sensor and the Radio Shack "double bow tie". Try them both out and see what you get - you can always return them. I bought a Silver Sensor from Best Buy and got nothing with it, so I returned it. I recently got a RS bow-tie and get everything, but I do have to move it around a bit for each channel. I've also got a chimney mounted Channel Master, which gets everything but CBS 46 (which I think is a multi-path problem). Bottom line, try out the Zenith and Radio Shack since they're easy to return.

Good luck. Unfortunately, nearly everyone's experiences are unique and what works for you may not even work for your neighbor.
post #3 of 3269 Old 03-29-2004, 09:50 AM

MSAT-

Have you had any trouble with 11-Alive digital (10d) in the last week? I used to pull it in fine, but have suddenly lost it. Not sure if it is my gear or something with them?

Thanks in advance...
post #4 of 3269 Old 03-29-2004, 10:47 AM

NBC has been fine for me lately. Sorry.
post #5 of 3269 Old 09-28-2004, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jwarden
MSAT-

Have you had any trouble with 11-Alive digital (10d) in the last week? I used to pull it in fine, but have suddenly lost it. Not sure if it is my gear or something with them?

Thanks in advance...

So I know this was a long time ago, but I suddenly started having this problem. Right after the storm I discovered I've lost 11 (10d). Unfortunately I didn't notice this until after I missed Law and Order's Season Premiere (@#@#@#!). Is anyone else having this problem?

Peace.

Peace.
post #6 of 3269 Old 09-28-2004, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm making this the Official Atlanta OTA thread. The only other Atlanta thread is dedicated to cable issues. Can someone from the Atlanta area summarize the OTA offering in Atlanta so I can paste it in the first post for easy reference?
post #7 of 3269 Old 09-28-2004, 06:46 PM

You can find a lot of information here.

atlantahdtv.org used to have a good summary but they seem to be off the air now.

Here is the list from Antennaweb.org - I can get most stations but not all at once.

WSB-DT 2.1 ABC Atlanta GA
WTBS-DT 17.1 TBS ATLANTA GA
WGCL-DT 46.1 CBS ATLANTA GA
WUVG-DT 34.1 UNI ATHENS GA
WATC-DT 41.1 REL ATLANTA GA
WATL-DT 36.1 WB Atlanta GA
WAGA-DT 5.1 FOX Atlanta GA
WPXA-DT 14.1 PAX Rome GA
WXIA-DT 11.1 NBC Atlanta GA
WUPA-DT 69.1 UPN ATLANTA GA
WHSG-DT 44.1 TBN MONROE GA

Neither PBS station listed below is broadcasting now. It is a touchy subject in the local HDTV discussion group.

WPBA-DT 21 PBS Atlanta GA
WGTV-DT 12 PBS Athens GA

Now if there is any Charter Cable HDTV user that can answer my question
The qustion on whether or not the HD QAM singals are encrypted..
post #8 of 3269 Old 09-28-2004, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
That's good, thanks.
post #9 of 3269 Old 09-28-2004, 07:32 PM

Nice to see the ATL thread alive and well!

My new issue in the last few weeks is CBS 19(D), it would be nice to get it back for primetime stuff and sports...

Is anyone else on the fringe of Atlanta having trouble pulling it in? I can't get it at all anymore, regardless of the weather, but my antenna is pushed to it's (geographical) limits.

To follow up on my (way) earlier post, NBC 11(D) is reliably strong now, and since the Olympics, is showing weather radar on one of the sub channels. Nice to get 24/7 radar, but HD content would be better...

Thanks.
post #10 of 3269 Old 09-28-2004, 10:11 PM

Unfortunately, my first experience with HDTV was from a Terk TV55 recommended by someone at Fry's. Why did he recommend it? It's a $100 antenna that I got from a friend via his Best Buy discount for $52. I'd say 96% markup is a good reason to recommend something. Prick.

Anyway, I now have Charter cable which gives me 9 HD channels, but I'd only really call 5 of them true HD, as 1 is Braves in HD (I can't count this as part of my lineup since I could probably only watch about 20 hours of HD a week during baseball season) and 3 are Fox, CBS, and NBC, which are simply upsampled 480i programming except for their prime time shows (CSI, Law and Order, etc) and sports.

We don't get ABC, but if that has the same problem, I probably wouldn't count it either.

So out of "9" channels, I'd really only count 5 of them.

Is this common with HD? Are most local HD channels simply really bad upsampled HD except a few shows a week? I mean, to be honest, if that's the case, this HD stuff is vastly overrated.
post #11 of 3269 Old 09-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by et121212
You can find a lot of information here.

atlantahdtv.org used to have a good summary but they seem to be off the air now.

Here is the list from Antennaweb.org - I can get most stations but not all at once.

WSB-DT 2.1 ABC Atlanta GA
WTBS-DT 17.1 TBS ATLANTA GA
WGCL-DT 46.1 CBS ATLANTA GA
WUVG-DT 34.1 UNI ATHENS GA
WATC-DT 41.1 REL ATLANTA GA
WATL-DT 36.1 WB Atlanta GA
WAGA-DT 5.1 FOX Atlanta GA
WPXA-DT 14.1 PAX Rome GA
WXIA-DT 11.1 NBC Atlanta GA
WUPA-DT 69.1 UPN ATLANTA GA
WHSG-DT 44.1 TBN MONROE GA

Neither PBS station listed below is broadcasting now. It is a touchy subject in the local HDTV discussion group.

WPBA-DT 21 PBS Atlanta GA
WGTV-DT 12 PBS Athens GA

Now if there is any Charter Cable HDTV user that can answer my question
The qustion on whether or not the HD QAM singals are encrypted..

What this list does not show is the recent trend towards multicasting by a number of these stations, notably WSB, PAX (anybody care?) and WXIA in particular. WSB (ABC) is now multicasting the ABC News Channel, Pax has 4 (count 'em, 4) video streams, and WXIA (NBC) has a subchannel for digital radar. There have been recent complaints about the effect on HD PQ especially for WSB (MNF in particular) and WXIA (Olympics in particular).
post #12 of 3269 Old 09-29-2004, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DDisney
What this list does not show is the recent trend towards multicasting by a number of these stations, notably WSB, PAX (anybody care?) and WXIA in particular. WSB (ABC) is now multicasting the ABC News Channel, Pax has 4 (count 'em, 4) video streams, and WXIA (NBC) has a subchannel for digital radar. There have been recent complaints about the effect on HD PQ especially for WSB (MNF in particular) and WXIA (Olympics in particular).

Don't forget WAGA (FOX), which is multicasting the SD version of their programming on 5-2 and WTBS, doing the same on 17-2. Why? Who knows.
post #13 of 3269 Old 09-29-2004, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

The above list reflects a combination of some remapped digital channels and some physical channels, which probably leads to a great deal of confusion for HDTV new recruits.

I've tried to keep this list updated:

10 | WXIA | NBC | 1080i
19 | WGCL | CBS | 1080i
25 | WATL | WB | 1080i
27 | WAGA | FOX | 720p
39 | WSB | ABC | 720p
41 | WATC | TV57 | 480i
43 | WUPA | UPN | 1080i
44 | WHSG | TBN | 480i
51 | WPXA | PAX | 480i

Contact information for the local channels: http://www.georgiahdtv.com/ht/atlanta_station_info.html

I agree that multicasting has been a problem here

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 3269 Old 09-29-2004, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jwarden
Nice to see the ATL thread alive and well!

My new issue in the last few weeks is CBS 19(D), it would be nice to get it back for primetime stuff and sports...

Is anyone else on the fringe of Atlanta having trouble pulling it in? I can't get it at all anymore, regardless of the weather, but my antenna is pushed to it's (geographical) limits.

First, thanks for Nathan's station clarifications!

Now for the rest of the story....WGCL (Channel 46, 46-1, and 19-1) has had over a year of problems with their HDTV signal. Their presentation of last year's Superbowl was a well-documented debacle.

The biggest issues with this CBS affiliate are:

1) They still continue to have the weakest broadcast signal in town, using only about 60% the power of their competitors (which confirms that anyone outside of I- 285 has an "iffy" chance of even pulling them in)

2) They continue to refuse waivers to alternative providers (like DirecTV's national CBS feeds), despite the fact that about 50% of the Atlanta market cannot get their station's Over The Air (OTA) signal with any level of strength or stability. Some folks in Cobb County have reported that they can't get them at all.

I spoke regularly with some of their "higher ups" about this. They fired their former senior engineer, and now have someone who appears to be dedicated to a solution - that said, it still boils down to money. WGLC has been slow in allocating the funds to get the proper newer equipment to effectively transmit Digital broadcasts at full power. I was originally told this would be "taken care of" by Summer, whereas now it looks like it may be Spring 2005.

Sad. A Major League city with a Minor League TV station.
post #15 of 3269 Old 09-29-2004, 08:05 PM

it's nice to have this thread be active.

so anyway, I've lost 11 (10d) since the last big storm. My antenna is indoors so the wind shouldn't have made a difference and I never had a problem before. I can get all the other major channels (well I can't get PAX, but I'm still not sure why I should care).

I'm in unincorporated fayette county about six miles south of the airport. Has anyone else had this problem? it's driving me nuts. My antenna is mounted in an odd place in an attic space above my bedroom, so I'm loathe to go up there and fiddle with it while standing on a support beam to avoid falling through my bedroom ceiling.

Peace.
post #16 of 3269 Old 09-30-2004, 05:47 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by clangro
Is this common with HD? Are most local HD channels simply really bad upsampled HD except a few shows a week? I mean, to be honest, if that's the case, this HD stuff is vastly overrated.

Did you expect daytime TV to be in HD? CBS has one soap in HD, but it will be many years before the majority of daytime TV is in HD. The major networks now have most of their primetime shows (not including those stupid "reality" shows) in HD. CBS has NCAA (SEC) football on Saturdays and NFL(AFC) football on Sundays in HD, Fox has NFL(NFC including the Falcons) in HD, and ABC has Monday Night Football in HD. Cable and satellite providers also have HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, ESPNHD, and several other HD channels.

To see what's on in HD, check TitanTV dot com.

Bill Julyan
post #17 of 3269 Old 10-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone else's normally crappy CBS reception even worse today? It was fine earlier in the week but when I want to watch HD football today it's unwatchable.
post #18 of 3269 Old 10-02-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nathan_R
The above list reflects a combination of some remapped digital channels and some physical channels, which probably leads to a great deal of confusion for HDTV new recruits.

I've tried to keep this list updated:

10 | WXIA | NBC | 1080i
19 | WGCL | CBS | 1080i
25 | WATL | WB | 1080i
27 | WAGA | FOX | 720p
39 | WSB | ABC | 720p
41 | WATC | TV57 | 480i
43 | WUPA | UPN | 1080i
44 | WHSG | TBN | 480i
51 | WPXA | PAX | 480i

I agree that multicasting has been a problem here

Super - much clearer. I just wanted to keep the thread going by posting the first thing I could get my hands on.

Mod: please copy this list to the first thread to avoid confusion.
post #19 of 3269 Old 10-02-2004, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gromit
Is anyone else's normally crappy CBS reception even worse today? It was fine earlier in the week but when I want to watch HD football today it's unwatchable.

Gromit,

CBS had the colored bars and the famous "beep" sound when I first tried it around 1:30 today.
About 10 minutes later it came in fine. I'm watching the Arkansas/Fla. game now.
Waiting patiently for the UGA LSU game!!!
CBS working for you now?
I'm in Fayetteville, 20 miles south of the city.

LET'S KEEP THIS ATL THREAD ALIVE AND KICKIN'!!!!

later,
jb
post #20 of 3269 Old 10-02-2004, 12:05 PM

JB-

I am getting better than normal CBS OTA too- and I am 45 miles north of the perimeter.

But, the ARK vs. FLA game appears to be in SD though- I hope that doesn't mean the Dawgs will be too.... I am having a flashback to the SuperBowl!

I wish these guys would either get it fixed or approve my waiver!
post #21 of 3269 Old 10-02-2004, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Gromit

That game was in 4:3 SD.. Turn on CBS now

I pull in all the majors and I live way out in Suwanee.

PM me if you need assistance with an antenna in the Atlanta area.

Goooooooo Tigers!!
post #22 of 3269 Old 10-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Anyone else got an audio lag on the Georgia/LSU game here in Atlanta? OTA in Alpharetta.
post #23 of 3269 Old 10-02-2004, 01:38 PM

Audio's in sync now. Sigh. The future of broadcasting.
post #24 of 3269 Old 10-02-2004, 01:54 PM

Pulling in CBS crystal clear as usual!!!
The audio sync at the beginning of the game scared me too.... whew.
I love watching the Dawgs killing LSU in HD!!!!!

Go DAWGS!!!!!

jb
post #25 of 3269 Old 10-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

I'm in Canton but was getting great reception until Saturday. The guy who installed my antenna said he's never seen such a great signal from my area. He did warn me about the crappy CBS signal though.

I couldn't watch the UGA-LSU game in HD. It kept breaking up every few seconds. I'm going to call my installer back on Monday and see if he can tweak it. I was happy with the results of the game though, even if I had to watch in SD.
post #26 of 3269 Old 10-03-2004, 08:09 AM

Sorry about the audio folks. That's still a manual switch! We hope to be full power by July 05. Basically, the entire HD plant will have to be re-installed.

LOU@GCL
post #27 of 3269 Old 10-03-2004, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by LOU@GCL
Sorry about the audio folks. That's still a manual switch! We hope to be full power by July 05. Basically, the entire HD plant will have to be re-installed.

As one of the bigger critics of WGCL's signal and station performance, I have to admit that once the audio sync was cured in the first quarter of the Georgia / LSU game - it was the most stable and solid signal I've seen for CBS in the past 6 months. Congrats.

We'd sure like to see that more often! A for the effort!

It's a real shame we now have to wait until JULY 2005 to get a full-power signal, but on the other hand, at least that's a firm date commitment from the station (for a change). Hope this all pans out. There are thousands of us outside 285 who still get a shakey CBS HD signal.
post #28 of 3269 Old 10-03-2004, 09:16 AM

The broadcasters raise their rates every year and advertisers pay it and we get low quality video. Oh..... and Tivo allows millions of us to avoid all the high price advertising. Sounds like a sustainable business model to me.

My Atlanta OTA stuff can be okay at times and bad sometimes too. SAT is way better.

McSpeed
post #29 of 3269 Old 10-04-2004, 04:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

For those who don't know yet, it appears that WPBA (PBS) is testing/live on channel 21. I'll update the ATL station list when I have more information (and can acquire the signal).

Best regards,
~~Nathan

PSN: KyFriedNate | XBL: KyFriedNate

|
post #30 of 3269 Old 10-04-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LOU@GCL

Lou:

Glad to hear that there is some progress. Given the scale of the effort and the time it is expected to take, will the station be revising it's position on waivers for anyone?

Allowing loyal CBS viewers to get CBS HD on Sat. until you are ready would have a positive effect on PR and loyalty?

Thanks!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page