post #91 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Digitude
Spruce....I had a Cox guy at my house yesterday and he showed me the internal memo. Bravo HD will be standard tier. Also, they will have an OnDemand HD channel with barker on Ch 498

And Cinemax will be like HBO/SHO....buy the premeium SD version, and the HD version is "free"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Digitude: my 6200 works fine. just no dvi output. waaaah!

jkhome: sounds like 2 more hd channels for "free" for me!!!

sm.

enjoy the toys!
post #93 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man, its getting really exciting now that winter has passed. We got MLB on FOx in widescreen i hope converted to 720p. MNF comin up. GOLF!! in HD. I may even watch. and CBS and FOX with its football in HD. All available OTA and free of charge. AS well as NAscar on FOX. Its a great time to live in this area for a sports fan!
post #94 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
A number of completely unnecessary comments have been deleted. Keep the personal issues off line, or more deletions will occur.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #95 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pdennant
720i, 720p, 1080i and 1080p are all considered High Definition formats.

Hi Peter,

I have to take exception with your statement here, as far as ATSC standards go, 720i doesn't exist.

Best,
Ken

post #96 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 05:32 PM

I do not post much here. But have been reading this thread since it first began. I would like to thank you Ken H. I knew this was going to get ugly and a waste of time.. I can remember 3 years ago when I just had HBO and the hidef loop on D*. The stations in this market have done a great job of bringing me what I spent all that $$$$$$$$ on. And there may be some probs but in time they will be fixed. It is not everyday a station will tell you that they are trying something new and ask you what you think!! Or when there is a prob we can tell them and they respond with and let us know what is happening. THIS IS A THREAD FOR LOCAL HDTV AND RECEPTION!!!! I would rather see 10000 people ask what antena to get then read this other#@#@#@.
post #97 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hjriver
I also do not believe for a minute that the majority of programming will be in HD. I think most will be enhanced SD or 720P.

720p is HDTV.

post #98 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ken H
Hi Peter,

I have to take exception with your statement here, as far as ATSC standards go, 720i doesn't exist.

Best,
Ken

I was wondering if 720i was a real format. I wonder why they didn't include it though...

Anyone up for talking about remotes??
post #99 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 05:59 PM

Todd I have way to many of them what ya want to know??? lmao
post #100 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 06:31 PM

Digitude: No your not the only one I am having this problem as well. I had a cox HD guy out and he swapped out the box but its still doing it. He said If it still did it that it could also be a problem with something out in the system and that they were working that issue(right). While he was here I had him check out my horrible picture quality(He wasn't the first one). He said he found a bad Pda or Pdu or something like that up on the pole and said he would have maintenance come out to change it out. I thought great after all this time someone finally found the problem. Waited about three days for maintenance to come but nothing. When I called them they were of course clueless and insisted on sending out a regular tech. He showed up a few days later but I was not home, my wife was. He didn't do much and fixed nothing. I have pretty much given up on cox ever fixing my picture till whatever it is goes out totally. I have seen some good deals for dish network and have been thinking about switching to them. Anyone out there with dishnetwork? How does it look on a hdtv? Thanks Clyde
post #101 of 7950 Old 04-16-2004, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

A coworker of mine recently got the COX HD box as well and asked me about the flickering or pulsing that was happening on Channels 3 and 6. He had COX out but they said it was a box problem. I hadn't noticed it on mine since I don't watch analog 3 or 6 on it and use a regular digital STB via TiVo for all non-HD stuff. I tuned in and it was happening on mine too. Not real noticable, but definately there.

Oh well, DirecTV is being installed tomorrow!
post #102 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 06:56 AM

Cox called last week and changed out my 6200 for a new 6200 because they were having some un-named problem with the first boxes. Whether or not it was a SD flicker issue or not I don't know, I just use mine for HD, and use the DCP-501 for SD cable, since the S-Video output on that box allows me better use of my TV's stretch modes for SD.
post #103 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

So is there an improvement? I have one of the first boxes, and had to adjust the black level big time on my RPTV, to get a decent picture due to the box.
post #104 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 08:09 AM

I couldn't see any difference, but I wasn't having any problems with the other box. It stands to reason that they would change out the ones without complaints first (tongue firmly in cheek).
post #105 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by robertawillisjr
Harold,

Well we will see. There are those who made the same argument about color TV, CD's, DVD's etc. Only time will tell. I do believe that you are correct about quality suffering at the expense of quantity. I can only point out the plethora of channels on Cable and Satellite.

Given this discussion, I think the locals have some difficult decisions to make. I wonder if any of them wish to contribute?

I see now that this is playing out exactly like Beta and VHS. I guess you just can't get rich (enough) providing a quality product here in the US of A (hey to Henry Ford and Bill Gates). So I've been sold another bill of goods. Will I never learn?
post #106 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Trakem
I see now that this is playing out exactly like Beta and VHS. I guess you just can't get rich (enough) providing a quality product here in the US of A (hey to Henry Ford and Bill Gates). So I've been sold another bill of goods. Will I never learn?

I don't see it as a question of getting rich but more of an FCC mandate to provide digital signals to the television views of America. To me HD is just a good byproduct of digital technology and additionally there is the possibility of utilizing the sub-channels for even more varied programming giving the stations additional opportunity to recover some of the huge investments they have made converting from analog to digital. I think that the stations have a right to utilize these sub-channels even at the expense of the HD content. Maybe in the future better technology and equipment will allow more efficient use of the available bandwith allowing more bandwith devoted to those who desire the highest bandwith HD possible.

I think for the average tv viewers we will see a lot of low cost digital tv's on the market and people will opt for them passing up the more expensive HD TV's with all the bells and whistles. Those who just watch the news and game shows have no real need for HD.

As for me the digital transmission made the difference between an analog signal full of snow and ghosts to a near perfect SD Digital signal. I'm 47 miles from the transmitters in Driver and with the help of the stations engineers I am now able to receive all the stations.

I think all the stations have done an excellent job of providing the viewers of Hampton Roads quality digital tv. Their personel have been available to answer our questions and assist us.

I'm trying to phrase my post so Ken won't delete it as I am definitly on the minority in this viewpoint on this forum.

Harold Jackson
post #107 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by raycer
Cox called last week and changed out my 6200 for a new 6200 because they were having some un-named problem with the first boxes. Whether or not it was a SD flicker issue or not I don't know, I just use mine for HD, and use the DCP-501 for SD cable, since the S-Video output on that box allows me better use of my TV's stretch modes for SD.

I'm pretty sure that there were multiple issues with the "early adopter" 6200s. I got my first 6200 back in early November when Cox Hampton Roads first rolled out their HD service. The first 6200 would lock up after about 15 minutes of HD viewing. It would continue to deliver HD, however, the box would no longer respond to the remote or front panel buttons. Only solution was to unplug the 6200 to force it to reboot.

The second 6200 was a little better, however, it would lock up after about 5 hours of being tuned to a HD channel that didn't switch to SD because of commercials. If I left it tuned to INHD1 or INHD2 before I went to bed, it would be locked up when I checked it in the morning. The clock would freeze at the time at which it locked up. I also noticed SD flicker with this set.

I got my third 6200 about 2 weeks ago when Cox was trying to contact everyone with the "first generation" 6200s. Seems the third time was the charm because my 3rd set has been problem free. If only they would enable DVI and Firewire. Or even better, give me a 6208!

Eric
post #108 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My HD box from COX that I got last Nov. has been working very well. I will be returning it to COX next week though since I got DirecTV installed today...
post #109 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

George, I checked out Star Trek tonight and it looks great, but I am having a terrible time locking in on your signal tonight for some reason. It is nice to see something broadcast in OAR. It seems everyone else is moving away from that...
post #110 of 7950 Old 04-17-2004, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I don't see it as a question of getting rich but more of an FCC mandate to provide digital signals to the television views of America. To me HD is just a good byproduct of digital technology and additionally there is the possibility of utilizing the sub-channels for even more varied programming giving the stations additional opportunity to recover some of the huge investments they have made converting from analog to digital. I think that the stations have a right to utilize these sub-channels even at the expense of the HD content. Maybe in the future better technology and equipment will allow more efficient use of the available bandwith allowing more bandwith devoted to those who desire the highest bandwith HD possible.

I think for the average tv viewers we will see a lot of low cost digital tv's on the market and people will opt for them passing up the more expensive HD TV's with all the bells and whistles. Those who just watch the news and game shows have no real need for HD.

Don't get me wrong, I truly believe the market should decide. I'm just tired of being led to believe that I'm paying for one thing, then getting another (bait and switch). All the HD ads crow about quality picture and sound, but that doesn't seem to be the prime motivator for the content providers. Again, it's my own fault (caveat emptor) but that still doesn't make me happy! JMO, YMMV...
post #111 of 7950 Old 04-18-2004, 08:43 AM

I had good reception for the Star Trek HD movie but I get all the locals very good. Did anyone try to watch the "Mummy" on WVEC-DT. For me it started out in 4:3 without DD 5.1 and was that way for almost half hour before I gave up and went to Star Trek. Then later on during a Star Trek commercial I checked and the Mummy was in HD and DD5.1 and it looked and sounded very good. But since I was mostly watching Star Trek I didn't stay with the Mummy. At another commercial I went back to the Mummy and picture appeared as a partial image with tears and cracks, sound was just pops, cracks, and clicks. Watched this for just a little bit to see if it would clear up but it didn't. At commercial break the commercial came in good pic and audio and in 4:3, which is the case for most commercial on HD programming. When the Mummy came back on it was in 4:3 and stereo. Anyone else see this, was it my set, local or network problem?
Earl
post #112 of 7950 Old 04-18-2004, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Trakem
Don't get me wrong, I truly believe the market should decide. I'm just tired of being led to believe that I'm paying for one thing, then getting another (bait and switch). All the HD ads crow about quality picture and sound, but that doesn't seem to be the prime motivator for the content providers. Again, it's my own fault (caveat emptor) but that still doesn't make me happy! JMO, YMMV...

Seems to me there is also another issue about the feds selling the extra channels left over after the digital switchover, to the wireless market for extra "revenue", which should help you understand their interest. Don't know the particulars, but I'll take what I can get if it is improved technology.

Sony invented the SACD format mainly to have a digital medium to archive their library and have a proprietary copyproof system. The fact that it sounds great too is the part I like.
post #113 of 7950 Old 04-18-2004, 05:21 PM

The OTA reception issues could be the result of the leaves coming out on the trees, absorbing the R.F. and reducing signal strength for the receiver.
post #114 of 7950 Old 04-19-2004, 04:45 AM

Yesterday's Martinsville race was the first that I've been able to see via OTA on WVBT in quite a while. Even though WVBT puts out 720p and my Voom STB must convert to 1080i so that I can view, the PQ was very very good IMO. At times I would have thought that Fox was already using HD cams. I was very impressed and can't believe that I've gone without the locals OTA for so long. Keep up the great work guys!

Mike
post #115 of 7950 Old 04-19-2004, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by barger15
Digitude: No your not the only one I am having this problem as well. I had a cox HD guy out and he swapped out the box but its still doing it. Clyde

Finally! I thought I was the lone cry in the wilderness. I'm not imagining this. A couple Cox techs stated "off the record" that others were complaining but I don't think Cox wants to acknowledge this as a system wide failure and have a major revolt on their hands. If you look closely you will see the flicker on many channels especially anything below channel 20. It is less noticeable on channels with a strong signal like 10 and 13. I get it quite bad on 3,4,5,9,14,18 and 19. I just can't believe Cox keeps paying to have technicians come out to my house and then do nothing. I think it is an early firmware problem with the 6200 and I don't think enough folks are complaining. My wife says it doesn't bother her and I suspect that is true for many. People expect little from Cox and that's just what they get.

And I would not give up on your other problem either. I also had a really grainy picture that started in February and through most of March. Cox sent three or four people to my house and all told me I had a good signal but too many splitters etc etc. I refused to let that go because, up until February I had a good picture. Finally I made the last tech connect his portable TV right at the street tap. They finally had to agree that they were sending me a strong, crappy signal. They then looked upstream and found a bad fiber at the node. HERES THE KILLER! No one else on my street was complaining so Cox was only looking at my house and cabling. The day after everything was finally fixed several of my neighbors came over and thanked me (having seen the Cox truck at my house for weeks). Everyone was getting a great picture now. When I asked why they didn't bitch, they all essentially told me they just didn't expect much from Cox!
post #116 of 7950 Old 04-20-2004, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone explain why Cox carries WTKR and none of the other local channels in HD? I'd really like to watch the Olympics this summer in high def.
post #117 of 7950 Old 04-20-2004, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vurbano
Because they have a contract with WTKR? I dont know all of the issues but I know that COx refuses to pick up all of the bandwidth and subchannels of some of the locals and thats a sticking point.

I don't receive any subchannels for WTKR that I'm aware of. I don't see any PBS subchannels either.
post #118 of 7950 Old 04-20-2004, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Digitude
Can anyone explain why Cox carries WTKR and none of the other local channels in HD? I'd really like to watch the Olympics this summer in high def.

Got some free time? Read the archive posts.... has been fully explained before, by the parties involved. (except Cox of course, since they don't participate in this forum.)
post #119 of 7950 Old 04-20-2004, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm trying to phrase my post so Ken won't delete it as I am definitly on the minority in this viewpoint on this forum.

This comment is way off base.

I did not delete any comments about any legitimate difference of opinion regarding the HDTV issues being discussed.

Being in the minority here does not endanger your ability to express an opinion.

The only comments edited or deleted were those that in my judgment constituted a personal attack, not those discussing legitimate HDTV issues.

If you feel otherwise, there is a much bigger problem here. Contact me via AVS Private Message with any further questions or comments.

post #120 of 7950 Old 04-20-2004, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jkhome
Got some free time? Read the archive posts.... has been fully explained before, by the parties involved. (except Cox of course, since they don't participate in this forum.)

I'm willing to accept the subchannel issue at face value. But aren't the local networks cutting their own throats if they are holding Cox hostage. After all, I watch a prime time show on CBS in HD even though I prefer a competitor on ABC or NBC. I record the others on my DVR and skip through the commercials. How long before the local advertisers figure this out and move their ads to WTKR? Since the Olympics from Greece will be time shifted anyway there is almost zero incentive to do anything but record and skip.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page