Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA - HDTV - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 3707 Old 02-10-2014, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm north of Culpeper and get the Charlottesville stations OTA but not the DC stations (a hill to the east of me is in the way). 29 has been coming in strong as usual lately. But 41 WHTJ has had glitches the last few days--the signal is mostly strong but it drops about every 10th word. Sometimes the signal jumps from very strong down below half just for a split second. What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3707 Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Do you not get WRC NBC-4 in Culpepper? I would choose to watch that station. As well as the other DC major channels.

Yes I get the DC stations on Dish but obviously not the subchannels. I prefer Charlottesville TV for news and weather. I also like the UVA sports news coverage. In addition, I get different NFL games from DC sometimes because Charlottesville is out of DC market.

HD is the essence of life.
post #3693 of 3707 Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 AM

wally and janiegirl, thanks for the help. Last night I bypassed the Dish 722 and the signals from 29.1 were strong. I went back to the 722 and they were zero. I went to manual configure the 29.1 station in the 722 and noticed the signal strength would be zero and then just a quick glitch up to 80% and right back to zero. I unplugged the 722 for about 15 minutes and then let it reboot and the missing NBC returned strong as ever. All is well again (until the next time anyway). I appreciate all the feedback.

Bill
post #3694 of 3707 Old 02-10-2014, 04:46 PM

Glad the reboot worked.

Wally

post #3695 of 3707 Old 02-10-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Do you not get WRC NBC-4 in Culpepper? I would choose to watch that station. As well as the other DC major channels.

As a follow-up to your question, as strange as it seems, I am in the DC DMA and 65 miles from the bulk of the DC OTA antennas. The much smaller Charlottesville DMA is more than 20 miles closer. I shop in Charlottesville and wouldn't think about going near DC with all the traffic, so I walk mostly Charlottesville OTA instead of Dish-provided major networks.

post #3696 of 3707 Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyb47 View Post

As a follow-up to your question, as strange as it seems, I am in the DC DMA and 65 miles from the bulk of the DC OTA antennas. The much smaller Charlottesville DMA is more than 20 miles closer. I shop in Charlottesville and wouldn't think about going near DC with all the traffic, so I walk mostly Charlottesville OTA instead of Dish-provided major networks.
I can understand that. Although there are some big malls up that way such as Tysons Corner and Fair Oaks. But it is indeed a bit congested. But I would like access to the major DC news stations if I still lived up that way. And I would want to seek out some of the remaining Roy Rogers from time to time.
post #3697 of 3707 Old 02-11-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
A bit congested? It's a bit more than a bit congested, especially compared to Culpeper or Charlottesville.

As someone who has the DC stations as locals, I almost never watch any of them. I just don't like them very much, really. I watch PBS on MPT, CBS from WJZ, FOX from WBFF, and don't watch NBC or ABC at all. For local news, I use WTOP radio, and when I actually need the visuals, I watch their TV partner, WJLA, but only as much as necessary.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3698 of 3707 Old 02-11-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

A bit congested? It's a bit more than a bit congested, especially compared to Culpeper or Charlottesville.

As someone who has the DC stations as locals, I almost never watch any of them. I just don't like them very much, really. I watch PBS on MPT, CBS from WJZ, FOX from WBFF, and don't watch NBC or ABC at all. For local news, I use WTOP radio, and when I actually need the visuals, I watch their TV partner, WJLA, but only as much as necessary.

- Trip
Yes DC traffic is very congested. I have lived there before. And agree with WTOP radio for news. Back in the day, WUSA was a top news station, then some of their main anchors went to WJLA. Gordon Petersen and Maureen Bunyan. And WRC was a great news team back when they had Jim Vance, Doreen Gentzler, Bob Ryan, George Michael, and Arch Campbell. Things may have changed somewhat in terms of quality, but I would still want to receive the major DC stations as well as Baltimore.
post #3699 of 3707 Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Is something wrong with channel 41 WHTV? The signal registers but I get no video or audio--several days now. All three subchannels not coming through
post #3700 of 3707 Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiegirl View Post

Is something wrong with channel 41 WHTV? The signal registers but I get no video or audio--several days now. All three subchannels not coming through

Same here, noticed that DISH has a slate up that says they are aware of the problem don't call but the OTA channels are black and no message.
post #3701 of 3707 Old 02-15-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkent484 View Post

Same here, noticed that DISH has a slate up that says they are aware of the problem don't call but the OTA channels are black and no message.

Ditto off the air in Culpeper. No video and no audio just a nice black screen.

post #3702 of 3707 Old 02-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Liked: 11
From http://whtj.org/content/whtj-pbs-air

WHTJ PBS Off Air
Submitted by Marshall Lloyd on Fri, 2014-02-14 09:27
WHTJ PBS (Charlottesville) is currently off-air due to the recent snow and ice conditions. When the roads are clear enough to visit the transmitter site on Carter Mountain, we will have an engineer look into this immediately. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this outage.

29.X has been breaking up today- I blamed this on winds earlier, but it's now quite calm. We're only 7 miles from Carters Mountain.
fkent484 likes this.
post #3703 of 3707 Old 02-18-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh6u View Post

From http://whtj.org/content/whtj-pbs-air

WHTJ PBS Off Air
Submitted by Marshall Lloyd on Fri, 2014-02-14 09:27
WHTJ PBS (Charlottesville) is currently off-air due to the recent snow and ice conditions. When the roads are clear enough to visit the transmitter site on Carter Mountain, we will have an engineer look into this immediately. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this outage.

29.X has been breaking up today- I blamed this on winds earlier, but it's now quite calm. We're only 7 miles from Carters Mountain.

WHTJ PBS (Charlottesville) is BAAAACK!!!!

post #3704 of 3707 Old 06-27-2014, 10:07 AM

Looking for someone to help me switch out my existing antenna for a larger one. I have the antenna, just hate going on the roof! I am in Ruckersville, VA.

Adam D.
post #3705 of 3707 Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 AM

Liked: 0
Charlottesville antenna installer?

Are there any professional antenna installers left in Charlottesville? My Google-fu has failed me.

John
post #3706 of 3707 Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM

Liked: 0
I am new to this forum and to trying to receive OTA transmissions. I am looking for advice on trying to receive the ION station out of Martinsburg. Just wondering if anyone has had success receiving this station in the valley. It is about 75 miles from me and seems to be about the same elevation as me, so I have my doubts that I can get it.
post #3707 of 3707 Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Plug your location into TVFool.com and see where WWPX winds up. I'm guessing your chances are pretty slim.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page