Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA - HDTV - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3721 of 3740 Old 01-20-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamison View Post
I'm west of Cvill (near Crozet) and for years got all the locals just fine with a CM 4228 mounted a few hundred feet from my house, up on little hill on a metal pole. In the past year, I started having dropouts with CBS and FOX. I thought it was due to trees growing up that the antenna was pointed towards.

I moved the antenna up on the side of my house as far as I felt comfortable going up the ladder - it was now much farther back from the trees. All of the stations increased in strength except that I then lost ABC (WVAW).

1) Anyone see anything from my setup that could explain the loss of ABC? I do have a metal roof on the house and was wondering if that was somehow interfering.

2) Would it be worth to try and get the antenna up above the roof line? If so, how far given that it is metal?

TV Fool report - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4f45242c9af

I had my CM4228 installed on a pole in my attic and couldn't for the life of me to get all our locals at once. I would turn the antenna slightly and would get all locals except FOX. Turn it again slightly - got all the locals except NBC. Pulled it off of the pole and it now rest on top of some Rubbermaid containers with one side leaning against the roof rafters. Get all locals plus at times Richmond stations...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3740 Old 01-28-2017, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamison View Post

I moved the antenna up on the side of my house as far as I felt comfortable going up the ladder - it was now much farther back from the trees. All of the stations increased in strength except that I then lost ABC (WVAW).

2) Would it be worth to try and get the antenna up above the roof line? If so, how far given that it is metal?

[/B]
I would get that above the roof! Install an eves mount for the mast. Good luck!

Steve KC4JGC
post #3723 of 3740 Old 01-28-2017, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4JGC View Post
Any problem with using the J-mount instead? I could mount it right below the peak with a 10' mast.

post #3724 of 3740 Old 02-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Want to cut cable...

Hi all. I live in Bridgewater and have ditched dish. The only thing I want to do is get fox, CBS, and nbc for sports. What's the best way to do it with attic, if possible? Thanks
post #3725 of 3740 Old 02-08-2017, 05:16 PM

HI Willie. I'm in Bridgewater as well, and ditched DISH. I'm trying to get just the major networks for sports. Would prefer an attic antenna and could use some advice. Have smart TV, so I just need a solid antenna that's $50 or so, that will do the job. Any help would be awesome. Thanks,
Scott
post #3726 of 3740 Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 AM

Unhappy Hello?

Okay, it's been two weeks since I asked a simple question. Does no one ready this thread, even though there are responses on the same day I posted, or just not care to help a totally inexperienced person?
Thx
Scott
post #3727 of 3740 Old 02-25-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
as it says in the sticky threads

NEXT: For antenna issues of ANY kind. Even if you can't possibly imagine location mattering, do this ANYWAY: Go to TVFool.com and include a LINK ..I repeat.. a LINK to your TVFool report. Please use street addresses and not lat/lon. Most of us don't have time to go plug that in and see where you are. Your exact address will not display when you use a TVFool link. Plus, with a link, we can click on stations to get more information. Can't do that with an image.

If you don't do this, you're going to be asked to, anyway, and that costs time. No two points in the US are exactly the same, so the answer to nearly all antenna questions will be different in different locations.

So I will ask "please post your tvfool"

www.tvfool.com
post #3728 of 3740 Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 AM

It will not let me, as I'm too new. Tried doing that the first post.
post #3729 of 3740 Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Guess I have to spam useless msgs to have enough to post
post #3730 of 3740 Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Alright.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4e7a3fa107c
Last try to post. If it's blocked, I'll just guess with Amazon ratings

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered this one, because of reviews and desire to put in the attic.

Last edited by ScottBatten; 02-25-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: adding info
post #3731 of 3740 Old 02-25-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is the perfect reason why we ask for tvfool reports. I tried a generic tvfool for your town (which usually puts it in the center of said town) and my results showed way better than what yours showed. This shows that location is critical (also shows that less than a mile can make a huge difference). Here is what I mean. A generic tvfool at 20 feet.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a41abe7c3eb0

Did you put a elevation like 20 feet? (even when I put 0 feet I still get better results)

Anywho for the antenna that might work. You have a VHF station (PBS) and I've used that antenna before (I'm in Minneapolis, MN) and VHF isnt the best on it. UHF works pretty well but if you try and turn one panel to one direction and one to another you do lose signal.

Can you try and post it with a height? Like 20 feet or something? The key thing is most of the stations (WHSV ABC and the LP CBS/FOX station) are really low on the list. So putting it in the attic you will lose up to 1/2 of the signal which will probably result in bad signal.

Last edited by unclehonkey; 02-26-2017 at 09:19 AM.
post #3732 of 3740 Old 02-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
This is the perfect reason why we ask for tvfool reports. I tried a generic tvfool for your town (which usually puts it in the center of said town) and my results showed way better than what yours showed. This shows that location is critical (also shows that less than a mile can make a huge difference). Here is what I mean. A generic tvfool at 20 feet.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a41abe7c3eb0

Did you put a elevation like 20 feet? (even when I put 0 feet I still get better results)

Anywho for the antenna that might work. You have a VHF station (PBS) and I've used that antenna before (I'm in Minneapolis, MN) and VHF isnt the best on it. UHF works pretty well but if you try and turn one panel to one direction and one to another you do lose signal.

Can you try and post it with a height? Like 20 feet or something? The key thing is most of the stations (WHSV ABC and the LP CBS/FOX station) are really low on the list. So putting it in the attic you will lose up to 1/2 of the signal which will probably result in bad signal.
Thx for the input. I sit 40 feet higher than the main road on a small hill. No matter how high I make it, it still gives almost the same result. I'm just going to try this thing inside and if it's not what I want, I'll put it with the dish on the house and see if it gets any better. I figure I will have to use an amp.

If it works, great. If not, then no sports and I'll just watch roku.
post #3733 of 3740 Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Bridgewater

Tested the antenna on its very short cable beside the TV, got CBS, NBC, ABC, and CW with ease and if pointed correctly, PBS. I think if I get it high enough on the roof or inside the attic, I will get over the ridge that the house is on, which is why it's so different from downtown Bridgewater, I will get the closest station, FOX 43.1

Hopefully this will be an easy install, for a complete thumbs person.
post #3734 of 3740 Old 03-01-2017, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

glad its working out. Yeah try it higher and just see what happens. If you can run a temporary line first by all means do that (or if you have access to the dish wiring). If you use the dish wiring make sure ALL splitters/switches are removed
post #3735 of 3740 Old 04-15-2017, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Channel changes in the upcoming repack

Hi, fellow TV antenna fans . . . sorry I haven't been over here for a while, and I'm especially sorry to have missed you, ScottBatten. Thanks for helping, unclehonkey. (I guess I missed getting something set back up in that password change business a while back.)

But I did want to pass this along. In the upcoming repack, here's how our channel numbers will change, if I read Trip's tables correctly:

The big joker in that deck is NBC 29 moving from 32 down to 2 -- low VHF. If that's the whole story it will be hard to receive that station. It may not be a problem if a translator or two will continue to operate after the repack, keeping us near the same range of UHF as before. But as I understand it, the fate of translators on 30 and 41 is not yet known.

Special thanks to https://www.rabbitears.info/blog/ind...epacking-Tools for posting all that info on the repack.
post #3736 of 3740 Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4JGC View Post
I moved the antenna using an eave mount and 10' mast up to the peak of my roof. Using a CM 4228, nothing changed - if I wanted to get ABC, I would lose CBS and FOX, and vice versa. NBC and PBS always came in.

My TV Fool report - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a48662cefd68

I'm not sure why this is happening since they are all on the same bearing E of my house. I ended putting a 91 XG up and was able to get everything, but ABC is very weak with a lot of dropouts.

Any ideas why? Anything else I can try? Are there single channel UHF antennas that I could use for WVAW?
post #3737 of 3740 Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ajamison:

It is very possible that your antenna is in a bad spot. You probably have already done the basics, but I'll recap. Try moving the antenna up or down a few inches, and using a compass to aim it at 113 degrees as your starting point (both of the antennas you referenced are very directional). And try the antenna at different points on the roof. A move of a few inches can make a difference between a blind spot and a great spot. You might also try an amplifier.

WVAW is a low power station....

Your TV Fool plot is at 35 feet. Can you do two more plots - at 40 and 50 feet? You may not be able to put an antenna that high but the information might be useful.
post #3738 of 3740 Old 06-03-2017, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
ajamison:

It is very possible that your antenna is in a bad spot. ... Try moving the antenna up or down a few inches ...
Great advice which "fixed" our issue with our initial set-up (in 2010). Our antenna was installed on a piece of PVC pipe hanging from a rafter in the attic. We couldn't get NBC and FOX at the same time. These two full-power stations are own by the same company, on the same tower and just two channels apart - 29 and 31. Fix FOX but would lose NBC and vice versa. One day soon after, I decided to take down the antenna and place it on top of some big storage containers with the antenna leaning on one of the sloping rafters. Not only did it "fix" the problem, we ended up getting more channels too. The antenna remains on those containers to this day...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #3739 of 3740 Old 06-03-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
ajamison:

It is very possible that your antenna is in a bad spot. You probably have already done the basics, but I'll recap. Try moving the antenna up or down a few inches, and using a compass to aim it at 113 degrees as your starting point (both of the antennas you referenced are very directional). And try the antenna at different points on the roof. A move of a few inches can make a difference between a blind spot and a great spot. You might also try an amplifier.

WVAW is a low power station....

Your TV Fool plot is at 35 feet. Can you do two more plots - at 40 and 50 feet? You may not be able to put an antenna that high but the information might be useful.
40' - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a452fe94b537

45' - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4fe87788ea6

Doesn't seem like a huge difference. I can't move the antenna at all right now - I actually rented a boom lift to move the antenna to its current location. I've had this problem with WVAW that last 3 places I have tried my antenna. Must be something about my property. It just seems funny that WAHU and WCAV are supposed to be weaker but I can pick them up just fine.

Maybe my best option is try another antenna just for WVAW. Are their any UHF antenna known for picking up lower frequencies stations better?

One other question - in aiming my antenna I used a small tv with a zenith converter box and just went by the signal strength meter which is just a bar at the bottom of the screen. But my main setup uses a channel master DVR. For each channel it lists signal strength and signal quality as numeric values. Does anyone know the difference between the numbers and what they mean?
post #3740 of 3740 Old 08-13-2017, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
(Cross-posting in Roanoke, Richmond, and Charlottesville threads.)

Does anyone here know of someone who would do repair work on a rooftop antenna? My father in law, who lives on the Prince Edward-Charlotte County line, has an antenna that works very well for him, but in a recent storm, the stand-off holding the cable came off the mast and took the cable with it, so now he receives only WSET and WWCW. The roof itself is very steep and it's a metal roof, so it would be very dangerous to do without professional equipment.

I understand that a drive out to this area would likely be pricey since it's 1-2 hours away, but I doubt there's anyone closer than Lynchburg, Richmond, or Charlottesville, and I've not had any luck finding anyone to do it so far. My next step might be seeing if a roofing company could do something about it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page