Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3707 Old 04-26-2006, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vak01 View Post

Pack the copper rod in salt?? Oh, my ... that should REALLY help the corrosion process not to mention killing any growth around the rod's location.

Sodium is a great conductor. That is the whole idea. Too bad I can't remember more High school chemistry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3707 Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Cav View Post

I live off of Proffit Road backing up to the south fork of the Rivanna River. My house is at a lower elevation and the view from my back deck is a ridge on the other side of the river. Anyway, I get HD DirecTV without any problem and have a Turk antenna for local channels. Problem is that I can't receive any of the local stations worth a darn although I'm probably less that 10 miles as the crow flys from the Downtown Mall. Any suggestions as to how to improve my reception? Oh yes, the Turk antenna is slightly rotated because the installation tech had to rotate the dish for optimal reception. Would that make any difference? Thanks in advance. It'd be nice to watch the local news for a change plus get NBC.

Cav,

NBC 29 should be blowing down your doors. They are at 5 Megawatts in analog and one megawatt Digital on channel 32 physical. They put out way too much signal. I live very close to you. You can probably see the towers on Carter's mountain from your house. I would recommend rechecking all your connections. If your connections are all good consider a better antenna. Keep us informed.
post #543 of 3707 Old 04-30-2006, 09:04 AM

Well I finally called D* to cancel the account that we had put in the suspend mode when we sold the house in Alexandria and moved to Massanutten(12/30/05)They had talked me into leaving the account in the suspend mode and seeing if I wanted to start the service up after the move was complete.After having limited luck getting my nationals in HD-some good some not.Idecieded that even though Adelphia is expensive they have what we want(17HD channels will do for now)and with D* web site saying that waivers were a dream-I called D* and said cancel (that was 32 days ago) after all the retention dept. offers and to leave it in suspend mode,and they will do the waivers,etc and getting late I said fine two more months.Well 2 nights ago I figured it was time to just cancel and move on-I called and was transfered to retention agian-said cancel -he said are you sure-I said why?-CBS,FOX,have granted the waivers ABC was also on the list but he was not sure if they had also granted.He said that there was only 15 days left for the station to respond and if they don't then D* is allow to give me the feeds .I told him I'll wait for another 15 days to see if it gets pulled off
post #544 of 3707 Old 05-12-2006, 09:39 AM

On the Comcast buyout of local Adelphia cables services? It's was posted earlier in this thread that the buyout was to be completed the first part of this year but I haven't heard any updates. Anyone have any new information on this subject? Any new info would be greatly appriciated!
post #545 of 3707 Old 05-17-2006, 02:36 PM

I'm helping a friend in Greenwood setup a antenna for Richmond (fox, abc, and cbs). Digitals OTA. That is about 75 mile. Is this doable? Is anyone else in Greenwood getting the Richmond locals?
post #546 of 3707 Old 05-18-2006, 04:36 AM

I got the Richmond stations from Massanutten,CBS was not all that stable,I do have the advantage of being at about 1500' but I also have the mountains sitting 12 miles to the east.I think that if your friend does not have any major obstructions(trying for a signal with tall buildins around him)and has the right antennna and pre amp,he may have some good results
post #547 of 3707 Old 05-24-2006, 06:20 PM

i'm getting 27.5 and 27.6 FOX channels tonite. Could this be C'ville local FOX broadcasting in Digital?? The PQ looks real good.
post #548 of 3707 Old 05-24-2006, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcck View Post

i'm getting 27.5 and 27.6 FOX channels tonite. Could this be C'ville local FOX broadcasting in Digital?? The PQ looks real good.

Do you get WRLH-DT? If so, it's probably a PSIP problem there. I've heard of random 27-5 feeds popping up on other stations (see WICZ-DT in Binghamton, NY) due to the installation of some new equipment that screws with the PSIP.

Aside from the fact that WAHU-CA has no digital CP filed with the FCC, and therefore cannot be doing anything digital.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #549 of 3707 Old 05-24-2006, 07:40 PM

Yep, the 27.5 and 27.6 are coming from WRLH out of Richmond. I verified that this evening. The PSIP stream is showing up as East and MTn. They are botha duplicate of 35.1 though.
post #550 of 3707 Old 05-25-2006, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcobb View Post

Yep, the 27.5 and 27.6 are coming from WRLH out of Richmond. I verified that this evening. The PSIP stream is showing up as East and MTn. They are botha duplicate of 35.1 though.

Got the same thing when I scanned here in Virginia Beach. Our FOX affiliate was having trouble last night and I was VERY lucky to see the rest of AI in HD on FOX35...

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #551 of 3707 Old 06-05-2006, 11:31 AM

Just wanted to let you know that WVPT 51 and WVPY 42 have completed our installation of equipment to provide digital multicasting 24x7 to cover our 29 counties.

We have 14 transmitters on the air now (7 analog and 7 digital)

In the northern end of the valley our antenna is on Signal Knob (42)
42.1 legacy
42.2 HD
42.3 How to
We also have a transmitter covering Madison, Luray, and Fulks Run on 42...

In the southern end of the Valley the transmitter in on Elliott Knob covering Hburg, Waynesboro, Staunton,

51.1 legacy
51.2 HD
51.3 How to

We have a transmitter on 51 for Cville, and Montery too

All channels are up and running 24 x 7, 365. We are running dynamic PSIP and TSID for auto tuning and program guide downloads.

Try it and let me know what you think.
Cheers,

Tony
post #552 of 3707 Old 06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a voice crying in the wilderness with so few of us (perhaps 2 or 3 at most in the whole Valley) that Tony can ignore me and concentrate on 99.9% of his audience: I consider multicasting not compatible with true HD, probably causing about a 20 or 25% bit rate reduction for 51.2. But I'm still hoping in my lifetime to regularly watch shows in HD once again having that WOW factor.

P.S. Notwithstanding my negativism, what a great C.O.O. Tony must be in nearly every regard & hats off to him for being willing to post here!
post #553 of 3707 Old 06-05-2006, 12:39 PM

WVPT broadcasts 2 SDs and 1 HD 24 x 7. The HD is 1080i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post

I have not tried to get WVPT from Staunton as my antenna is not suitable for channel 11 and I get a very strong signal from the new local PBS digital signal on 41 - though there is no HD broadcasting yet.

Is the Staunton PBS broadcasting any programs in HD (when appropriate of course)?

Gerry

post #554 of 3707 Old 06-05-2006, 12:45 PM

I must admit the business model to do multicasting on pub TV was to provide more choices in the area.

Research showed an HD was needed 24 hours a day in the valley. We tried it for 2 years all by it self (no multi channels) and then along came a great how to channel.

Once I was able to get a CODEC set to provide almost the same contribution quality we moved forward with multicasting. I have passed the HD thru directly from PBS which I get at 18 MBPS and I am currently compressing at 13.5 MBPS giving 4-4.5 MB to 2 SDS.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

J

ust a voice crying in the wilderness with so few of us (perhaps 2 or 3 at most in the whole Valley) that Tony can ignore me and concentrate on 99.9% of his audience: I consider multicasting not compatible with true HD, probably causing about a 20 or 25% bit rate reduction for 51.2. But I'm still hoping in my lifetime to regularly watch shows in HD once again having that WOW factor.

P.S. Notwithstanding my negativism, what a great C.O.O. Tony must be in nearly every regard & hats off to him for being willing to post here!

post #555 of 3707 Old 06-05-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mancari View Post

Just wanted to let you know that WVPT 51 and WVPY 42 have completed our installation of equipment to provide digital multicasting 24x7 to cover our 29 counties.

We have 14 transmitters on the air now (7 analog and 7 digital)
Try it and let me know what you think.
Cheers,

Tony

Getting a great signal here in Bridgewater . . . thanks for your hard work, and thanks for updating this group!

Love that programming, too.

willie
post #556 of 3707 Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mancari View Post

All channels are up and running 24 x 7, 365. We are running dynamic PSIP and TSID for auto tuning and program guide downloads.
Tony

Do you also provide the TV Guide On Screen downloads? If not, do you know what local station (either Charlottesville or Harrisonburg) does?
post #557 of 3707 Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 PM

I finally took the plunge and got Dish Network having been with Adelphia for a year with no sign of HD content.

I chose Dish over DirecTV on the basis that they could get the local channels. However when it was installed last week I discovered that they are all SD.

I am from England and was really looking forward to getting the World Cup Soccer in HD. ESPN2 on Dish was stunning, but on Saturday I watched a poor England performance on a very poor SD signal on ABC.

So I called Dish and they told me that the locals in our area are all in SD with no date set for HD.

OK I thought I'll get and antenna. I live on the ridge in Fontana and have great line of sight to Carter's Mountain. But reading this thread I just discovered that I can't get ABC in HD in Cville at all. Although I'm high up in Fontana I fear the hills block both Richmond and Washington. I ordered an antenna which will arrive shortly and I'll give it a try (I went for a double bow tie based on a very quick google - maybe this will not have enough gain anyway).

I fear I will not be able to pull in Richmond or DC.

Is that it then?

Can I argue for a waiver on ABC with Dish on the basis that although I can get SD over the air I cannot get HD?

From what I have seen in the last few hours of reading this thread and gooling I fear that there is simply no way to get ABC in HD (and certainly not within a week) unless I luck out and can pick up Richmond over the air.

Do I have this right?

CHeers...

Ade

Ade Russell
post #558 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade-Russell View Post

I finally took the plunge and got Dish Network having been with Adelphia for a year with no sign of HD content.

I chose Dish over DirecTV on the basis that they could get the local channels. However when it was installed last week I discovered that they are all SD.

I am from England and was really looking forward to getting the World Cup Soccer in HD. ESPN2 on Dish was stunning, but on Saturday I watched a poor England performance on a very poor SD signal on ABC.

So I called Dish and they told me that the locals in our area are all in SD with no date set for HD.

OK I thought I'll get and antenna. I live on the ridge in Fontana and have great line of sight to Carter's Mountain. But reading this thread I just discovered that I can't get ABC in HD in Cville at all. Although I'm high up in Fontana I fear the hills block both Richmond and Washington. I ordered an antenna which will arrive shortly and I'll give it a try (I went for a double bow tie based on a very quick google - maybe this will not have enough gain anyway).

I fear I will not be able to pull in Richmond or DC.

Is that it then?

Can I argue for a waiver on ABC with Dish on the basis that although I can get SD over the air I cannot get HD?

From what I have seen in the last few hours of reading this thread and gooling I fear that there is simply no way to get ABC in HD (and certainly not within a week) unless I luck out and can pick up Richmond over the air.

Do I have this right?

CHeers...

Ade

"An antenna"? What kind of antenna?

And it really varies with your precise location. There are a lot of people on this board that live in the Charlottesville area that can receive at least some of the Richmond stations, usually including WRIC (ABC) and WRLH (Fox).

I tried to look up "Fontana, VA" but could find no such place.

If you're on a ridge like that, you might be in luck. Even some people who have hills or even mountains in the way manage to receive signals sometimes.

Let us know.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #559 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe Fontana is a subdivision just to the east of C'ville centered around Fontana Drive. Bearing in mind OTA reception is an enigma wrapped in etc..., I hope Ade's ordered a 4228 in order to have a good shot at WRIC-DT in Richmond.
post #560 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

I believe Fontana is a subdivision just to the east of C'ville centered around Fontana Drive. Bearing in mind OTA reception is an enigma wrapped in etc..., I hope Ade's ordered a 4228 in order to have a good shot at WRIC-DT in Richmond.

Bill is right about the location.

In fact I had only an hour to pull the trigger on the antenna before setting off to Chile for a week. I downloaded this thread and read it on the plane! I did a quick google and found Antennas Direct. I ordered a 4DXB: "DB4 UHF Large Multi-directional Antenna DB4 High gin Multi-directional UHF".

By the time I landed in Chile I was aware that I have probably ordered the wrong thing!

We'll see and I'll keep you posted.

In terms of Richmond though - when I look in that direction (with my eyes - not an antenna!) I see the hill on which Ashcroft is located. It is less than half a mile away so I am not optimistic.

Does the argument that I should get a waiver fly at all? My logic is that I am already paying for an watching the Cville locals, so getting Richmond ABC HD via Dish should not be an issue - I know I am being naive. Has anyone tried this argument?

Cheers...

Ade

Ade Russell
post #561 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Does the argument that I should get a waiver fly at all? My logic is that I am already paying for an watching the Cville locals, so getting Richmond ABC HD via Dish should not be an issue - I know I am being naive. Has anyone tried this argument?

Unfortunately, it won't fly. While you are paying DISH for the locals, you aren't paying for the fact that there are local business that pay the local networks to play their advertisements, and you won't be watching those commercials if you are on a waiver.
post #562 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Unless there's an outpouring of posts testifying to C'ville waivers for ABC HD, aranganath's probably on the money. Incidentally, ABC digital in Richmond is 22 and the DB8 on one website shows a 15 dBl raw gain for that frequency with the 4228 marginally less.
post #563 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:

In fact I had only an hour to pull the trigger on the antenna before setting off to Chile for a week. I downloaded this thread and read it on the plane! I did a quick google and found Antennas Direct. I ordered a 4DXB: "DB4 UHF Large Multi-directional Antenna DB4 High gin Multi-directional UHF".

By the time I landed in Chile I was aware that I have probably ordered the wrong thing!

Actually I just had chance to google both the DB4 and the 4228. The DB4 spec says it has about 1.5dB more gian than the 4228. Without wanting to start a debate about which is best, it does look as though my choice may not have been that bad after all.

Ade

Ade Russell
post #564 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Ade,

I have the DB8 with an amplifier and have great results. I'm not sure the DB4 will cut it, but they will exchange it for you without a problem - I'm pretty sure you will need the amplifier though. Looking at Google Earth, your elevation is around 500' and the mountains blocking you to Richmond are around 700'. It's hard to say, but I like your chances.
post #565 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Actually I just had chance to google both the DB4 and the 4228. The DB4 spec says it has about 1.5dB more gian than the 4228. Without wanting to start a debate about which is best, it does look as though my choice may not have been that bad after all.

Ade

The Antennas Direct DB4 is more analogous to the Channel Master 4224. The 4228 is an 8 bay antenna. Most of the folks in C-Ville that I am aware of that have had luck with Richmond (including me..I get 6, 8, 35 and occasionally 23) are using 4228's. Your Fontanna location (depending on height), may help you and the DB4/4224 may be a viable antenna.

Also, you should know that Crutchfield now sells ChannelMaster products (including the 4228) and they have a local store in the Rio Hills shopping center. If the DB4 doesn't work for you, you can always try the 4228 from them as they have a 30 day return policy.
post #566 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Ade,

I have the DB8 with an amplifier and have great results. I'm not sure the DB4 will cut it, but they will exchange it for you without a problem - I'm pretty sure you will need the amplifier though. Looking at Google Earth, your elevation is around 500' and the mountains blocking you to Richmond are around 700'. It's hard to say, but I like your chances.

Thanks for this. I emailed AntennasDirect and they are changing my order to the DB8/Pre Amp.

Cheers...

Ade

Ade Russell
post #567 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbin1 View Post

Also, you should know that Crutchfield now sells ChannelMaster products (including the 4228) and they have a local store in the Rio Hills shopping center. If the DB4 doesn't work for you, you can always try the 4228 from them as they have a 30 day return policy.

Thanks for that tidbit! I tried a 4228 at one time, with not good results, but I'm much more educated now as to what I need to do, so it might be time to give it a shot again! The Crutchfield gift card burning a hole in my pocket doesn't help.

Edit: Unfortunately the 4228 is showing out of stock at the local Crutchfield. Looks like they may be web only. I can't find any info about whether web orders can be returned to the local store.
post #568 of 3707 Old 06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I have a CM4248 if anyone is interested in picking up the local channels. I was able to get Richmond stations with this antenna when I first moved here, but I don't know if I would count on it 24/7 365. PM me if you are interested.
post #569 of 3707 Old 06-13-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranganath View Post

I can't find any info about whether web orders can be returned to the local store.

Crutchfield does allow retuns at their retail store for web orders. Also, if it is available online, but not at the store, I'd bet they can get you one so you don't have to go through the web process....I speak from personal experience. :-)
post #570 of 3707 Old 06-13-2006, 06:08 AM

I have a CH4228 and also a DB8 and a CH7777 pre amp if anyone is interested.I'm outside Harrisonburg in Massanutten,if anyone is interested in any of these give me a shout
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page