Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3707 Old 07-28-2004, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adelphia CSR told me a few minutes ago that WHSV, WUSA, SHO, HBO are on Adelphia's HD tier and that 5 more will be added on a higher tier for my zip code in Augusta Co including HDNet, HDNet movies, and ESPN-HD. She didn't mention WVIR, but of course we know CSR's are often uninformed.
[/b][/quote]

WVIR-TV doesn't have an Adelphia HD Box in its bureau (on order), however, our chief engineer was told by the Adelphia chief tech that WVIR-DT is on the system.

29Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3707 Old 07-29-2004, 08:35 AM

Due to a component failure, WVIR-DT 29-1 will be at half-power for a couple of days. We would be interested in how operating at "only" 500,000 watts affects reception. Trip? Bill? WW6?

29Guy
post #93 of 3707 Old 07-29-2004, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

WVIR-DT operating at half-power
"Due to a component failure, WVIR-DT 29-1 will be at half-power for a couple of days. We would be interested in how operating at "only" 500,000 watts affects reception. Trip? Bill? WW6?"
29Guy

Reduction to 500 kW has dropped my signal strength meter a rough estimate of 7 or so on a scale 0 to 100, but it's still almost nudging the Good range (with my non-numerical receiver's scale ranging from Bad to Normal to Good) and you still look rock solid.

I assume this is a temporary failure and there will be no temptation by WVIR-DT to say this reduced power will save us almost $1,000 a day so let's stick with it. Although I have terrific reception, those beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns. still look imposing to say nothing of always potential atmospheric interruptions.
post #94 of 3707 Old 07-30-2004, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I'll have to take a look this afternoon, when there's less of a chance of tropo ducting affecting reception.

I would have done it sooner, but I wake up in the morning, go to work, then this week came home and watched the Democratic Convention on WDBJ 7-2 until bed. Since it's over, I'll look into it later today.

But I've noticed that power seems to have little bearing once you get over a certain point. Like, I actually get a stronger signal from WDBJ-DT (460 kW) than WPXR-DT (700 kW). Once you get over about 200 kW (depending on how good your equipment is *glares at WJPR-DT*) it doesn't make too much difference in 90% of the coverage area other than to make indoor reception easier.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #95 of 3707 Old 07-30-2004, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by 29Guy
Due to a component failure, WVIR-DT 29-1 will be at half-power for a couple of days. We would be interested in how operating at "only" 500,000 watts affects reception.

Interesting opportunity for an experiment . . .

There's a slight reduction in signal, from what I can tell, when the antenna is pointed straight at you. Even so, the signal is still at about the "l" in "Normal" on my signal strength meter. When I'm off-axis, there's a more noticeable reduction -- but I noticed that when I'm pointed almost due east for the Massanutten translators, I can still lock WVIR-DT.

willie
post #96 of 3707 Old 07-30-2004, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Was anybody else getting random pink horizontal lines from time to time from WVIR-DT last night? The lines were very fleeting, only showed up one or two at a time, and they were most noticeable when the picture was dark. Each line seemed to be only a couple of pixels in height, but stretched the width of the display.

I noticed this on a sitcom that was airing (Will and Grace, I guess) . . . and noticed that the same thing was occurring with WWBT-DT's signal also. It wasn't present in the analog signal I was getting.

willie
post #97 of 3707 Old 07-30-2004, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Johnson
WVIR-DT operating at half-power

I assume this is a temporary failure and there will be no temptation by WVIR-DT to say this reduced power will save us almost $1,000 a day so let's stick with it. Although I have terrific reception, those beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns. still look imposing to say nothing of always potential atmospheric interruptions.

Now Bill, the station that operates and promotes its analog transmitter as "The most powerful station in Virginia" (5,000 kW non-directional) isn't going to build the most powerful digital transmitter (1,000 kW non-directional) and then deliberately operate it at reduced power. And FYI, the power bill for analog is $9,000/month. We expect the digital power bill to run about $5,000/month because the new digital tubes have a beam efficiency of 57%, compared to the analog which are only 35% efficient.

And thanks for the signal report.

29Guy
post #98 of 3707 Old 07-30-2004, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA
But I've noticed that power seems to have little bearing once you get over a certain point. Like, I actually get a stronger signal from WDBJ-DT (460 kW) than WPXR-DT (700 kW). Once you get over about 200 kW (depending on how good your equipment is *glares at WJPR-DT*) it doesn't make too much difference in 90% of the coverage area other than to make indoor reception easier.

- Trip

Trip, I agree with your assessment of uhf propagation. If you're receiving in the clear without obstructions, power isn't important. In fact, in some instances too much power contributes to heavy multi-path which degrades analog pictures and wipes out digital. However, it takes punch to penetrate trees and walls.

I look forward to hearing whether or not you can receive WVIR-DT at half-power on your indoor antenna.

29Guy
post #99 of 3707 Old 07-30-2004, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wildwillie6
Was anybody else getting random pink horizontal lines from time to time from WVIR-DT last night? The lines were very fleeting, only showed up one or two at a time, and they were most noticeable when the picture was dark. Each line seemed to be only a couple of pixels in height, but stretched the width of the display.

I noticed this on a sitcom that was airing (Will and Grace, I guess) . . . and noticed that the same thing was occurring with WWBT-DT's signal also. It wasn't present in the analog signal I was getting.

willie

Willie, I didn't see Will and Grace. However, from what you describe I suspect it was a digital tape error in the transmission from NBC. That would explain why you saw the same problem on WWBT-DT.

And thank you for your signal report.

29Guy
post #100 of 3707 Old 07-30-2004, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote from 29Guy:

"Now Bill, the station that operates and promotes its analog transmitter as "The most powerful station in Virginia" (5,000 kW non-directional) isn't going to build the most powerful digital transmitter (1,000 kW non-directional) and then deliberately operate it at reduced power. And FYI, the power bill for analog is $9,000/month. We expect the digital power bill to run about $5,000/month because the new digital tubes have a beam efficiency of 57%, compared to the analog which are only 35% efficient.
And thanks for the signal report."
This is reassuring in an age when money seems to drive everything. I've always considered WVIR top-notch and wouldn't blame it a bit in cutting back power to save $ as it goes through kind of low OTA digital audience times during the transition. Many stations do it, witness that previously mentioned one which will be nameless, transmitting at barely 1 kW. So thanks WVIR-DT for your commitment to digital and by extension to HD from us in the Valley! 1,000 kW (which is a million watts): Terrific!
post #101 of 3707 Old 07-30-2004, 04:02 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to a component failure, WVIR-DT 29-1 will be at half-power for a couple of days. We would be interested in how operating at "only" 500,000 watts affects reception.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still coming in loud and clear here in fredericksburg. Unfortunately my Mits doesn't have a signal meter, so I can't tell you how strong it is. But I haven't seen and dropouts.

By the way, anyone know if WHTJ upped their power. I usually only get them late in the evenings. I am picking them up great during daylight hours now. Could be tropospheric, but I am not getting some of the other channels I get during good tropospherics.
post #102 of 3707 Old 07-31-2004, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know if WHTJ upped their power. I usually only get them late in the evenings. I am picking them up great during daylight hours now. Could be tropospheric, but I am not getting some of the other channels I get during good tropospherics.

I don't know about the signal power, but I too am getting WHTJ-DT consistently now. Started happening just a few days ago.

willie
post #103 of 3707 Old 07-31-2004, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Trip, I agree with your assessment of uhf propagation. If you're receiving in the clear without obstructions, power isn't important. In fact, in some instances too much power contributes to heavy multi-path which degrades analog pictures and wipes out digital. However, it takes punch to penetrate trees and walls.

I look forward to hearing whether or not you can receive WVIR-DT at half-power on your indoor antenna.

29Guy

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get WVIR-DT at all before I realized I had put in my attenuator because the convention on WDBJ-DT had been breaking up.

Anyway, it's now just BARELY locking on with the roof antenna (Winegard PR-8800). It needs 33% to lock and I'm getting a varying signal from 30% to 40%, meaning it loses the signal for up to 10 seconds at a time. I might have to fine tune the aiming (the rotor IS on the other side of the house) but it is at the same place it was when it worked last time.

If it's this bad on the roof antenna, the indoor antenna probably won't do anything much, but if you want me to try it, say so.

And WHTJ-DT can't be at full power yet, because I still have no signal on 46. If it was at full power, I'd have at least a little bit of signal.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #104 of 3707 Old 07-31-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:

And WHTJ-DT can't be at full power yet, because I still have no signal on 46. If it was at full power, I'd have at least a little bit of signal.

I'm not saying they are at full power...it just seems like they have upped the power some. I can pick them up any time of day or night now. That is a little unusual unless they have upped the power (or a major obstruction has been removed). Tropospheric effects generally only last several hours at a time.
post #105 of 3707 Old 07-31-2004, 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by brcobb
I'm not saying they are at full power...it just seems like they have upped the power some. I can pick them up any time of day or night now. That is a little unusual unless they have upped the power (or a major obstruction has been removed). Tropospheric effects generally only last several hours at a time.

According to the FCC website WHTJ-DT is still operating at low-power, 8.5 kW.

29Guy
post #106 of 3707 Old 07-31-2004, 03:44 PM

Quote:

If it's this bad on the roof antenna, the indoor antenna probably won't do anything much, but if you want me to try it, say so.

- Trip

Trip, thanks for the report.

I'm surprised the signal is so weak with an outdoor antenna, since you were previously receiving us on an indoor antenna. Oh well, we should be back to full-power in a few days.

29Guy
post #107 of 3707 Old 07-31-2004, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, you must have misunderstood. I found one sweet spot with the indoor antenna that worked. I was getting 50%-60% signal with the roof antenna when you were at full power. Now, I get 30%-40%.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #108 of 3707 Old 08-01-2004, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Would you have a look at 44-1 and see if you're getting anything? Unless I've missed something in a channel remapping, I seem to be getting them on 44-1.

EDIT: Oops . . . looks like that signal is 44 - WCVW-DT . . . didn't hang around long enough for a station ID, but I guess it's not WHTJ.

willie
post #109 of 3707 Old 08-01-2004, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

LOL, yeah, I tried for WCVE-42 and WCVW-44 yesterday too and got nothing.

I can usually get 25 (6-1) out of Richmond when I put the antenna that way, but it's off the air or something. ATM, that's the only Richmond digital I can receive, though I think I could get WRLH-DT and WCVE-DT when they go to full-power.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #110 of 3707 Old 08-02-2004, 01:47 PM

Could someone please confirm what all of the current and rumored additions are to the HD channel offering Adelphia has in Harrisonburg.

My parents live there and are building a new house and I am trying to assist them with their TV planning but am not aware of the local scene.

Thanks for your help.
post #111 of 3707 Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 PM

So I'm assuming we won't be getting any digital feeds from the new Cville stations any time soon? How about WHTJ-DT - when will they start broadcasting HD content?
post #112 of 3707 Old 08-03-2004, 03:47 PM

Repairs have been completed (infant mortality of a toaster) and WVIR-DT is back at 1,000 kW.

Thanks for all the signal reports while we were at half power.

29Guy
post #113 of 3707 Old 08-03-2004, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote from Bundy:
"Could someone please confirm what all of the current and rumored additions are to the HD channel offering Adelphia has in Harrisonburg."
"We've been told by Adelphia Cable that WVIR-DT has been added to the HDTV line-up on the digital tier in Augusta and Rockingham Counties. If anyone on this thread has an Adelphia HD box, we would appreciate comments on signal quality.

29Guy Above Quote

"Adelphia CSR told me a few minutes ago that WHSV, WUSA, SHO, HBO are on Adelphia's HD tier and that 5 more will be added on a higher tier for my zip code in Augusta Co including HDNet, HDNet movies, and ESPN-HD. She didn't mention WVIR, but of course we know CSR's are often uninformed. "
Above quote from Bill Johnson
post #114 of 3707 Old 08-04-2004, 02:03 PM

Our Augusta County bureau has obtained an Adelphia HD cable box, and we can now confirm that WVIR-DT NBC29-1 is on channel 704. The ABC station is WHSV-DT and is assigned to channel 703, although it seems to be off the air today. WUSA-DT is the CBS station and is on channel 709. We have not investigated the other HD services which may be available.

29Guy
post #115 of 3707 Old 08-04-2004, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

WVIR-DT on channel 704
Our Augusta County bureau has obtained an Adelphia HD cable box, and we can now confirm that WVIR-DT NBC29-1 is on channel 704. The ABC station is WHSV-DT and is assigned to channel 703, although it seems to be off the air today. WUSA-DT is the CBS station and is on channel 709. We have not investigated the other HD services which may be available.

29Guy

Hello 29Guy, This is good to know, but, almost as important, ask them about the signal quality & PQ. How do Adelphia HD telecasts compare for example to an OTA WVIR-DT HD telecast or an OTA WUSA-DT HD telecast? At least one of us, maybe more, wants to know if Adelphia is compressing the daylights out of the HD signal, or whatever it is that cable cos. can do to degrade HD PQ.
post #116 of 3707 Old 08-04-2004, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Johnson
WVIR-DT on channel 704

Hello 29Guy, This is good to know, but, almost as important, ask them about the signal quality & PQ. How do Adelphia HD telecasts compare for example to an OTA WVIR-DT HD telecast or an OTA WUSA-DT HD telecast? At least one of us, maybe more, wants to know if Adelphia is compressing the daylights out of the HD signal, or whatever it is that cable cos. can do to degrade HD PQ.

I have not personally seen the reception via Adelphia HD, however, the bureau reports excellent quality. The Augusta County system, I believe, offers 750 mHz of bandwidth, more than enough to provide a hundred or so analog channels and a handfull of full-bandwidth HD channels.

29Guy
post #117 of 3707 Old 08-10-2004, 06:09 AM

Great thread. I have been off the forum for quite a while. It's August and it's Olympic TIME ! I live east of Charlottesville in Keswick. Currently only have Adelphia standard cable. Have recently bought an HD capable set. Set is in basement. In less than 3 days time, how do I get set up for the OLYMPICS in HD? Seems like adelphia digital is not going to help me so what do I do? Add a satellite dish and if this is the choice, which one; VOOM, Direct or DISH? Get an Antenna? (small inside or attic mount will be only option as my bride will not go for relic on the roof !) NBC HD is going to be 24 hrs a day. Is this different than the local NBC affiliate will brodacast on OTA or do you have to be on cable/dish or some other thing. Since I am going to put out some $$, I would want this to be more than just NBC, but the Olympics is the focus for the next few weeks.
post #118 of 3707 Old 08-10-2004, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gecin
Great thread. I have been off the forum for quite a while. It's August and it's Olympic TIME ! I live east of Charlottesville in Keswick. Currently only have Adelphia standard cable. Have recently bought an HD capable set. Set is in basement. In less than 3 days time, how do I get set up for the OLYMPICS in HD? Seems like adelphia digital is not going to help me so what do I do? Add a satellite dish and if this is the choice, which one; VOOM, Direct or DISH? Get an Antenna? (small inside or attic mount will be only option as my bride will not go for relic on the roof !) NBC HD is going to be 24 hrs a day. Is this different than the local NBC affiliate will brodacast on OTA or do you have to be on cable/dish or some other thing. Since I am going to put out some $$, I would want this to be more than just NBC, but the Olympics is the focus for the next few weeks.

WVIR-DT 29.1 (channel 32) will broadcast the Olympics in HD 24/7 beginning Friday at 9 p.m. The feed will be live from 4 a.m. to about 10 a.m., then will be repeated for the rest of the 24 hour cycle.

From Keswick you should be able to receive the 1,000 kW signal of WVIR-DT on any UHF antenna. If you wish to install a roof-top antenna that will also receive Richmond, I suggest you visit Graves Electronics on Harris Street in Charlottesville. They are the local Channel Master distributor and
stock the CM 4048 antenna which we've found to be the best available.

If you want a professional installation, call Stu Perrry at Covey's Radio and TV service.

Enjoy the Olympics!

29Guy
post #119 of 3707 Old 08-10-2004, 08:18 AM

29Guy,
Thanks for such a quick reply. Guessing from your member name that you are local NBC contact. If so, just want to thank you for taking time to be part of the forum and hearing how all this HDTV customer experiences are progressing. Appreciate the recommendations on local "experts". Will call them today. ANother other local resources that you have found particularly helpful or knowledgeable? My experiences at CCity & BBuy have been mostly "let me sell you this" or "you could try that".
post #120 of 3707 Old 08-11-2004, 07:59 AM

I've had good luck at Crutchfield -- national mail order, but with outlets in Charlottesville and Harrisonburg. I can only mention personal experience with the Harrisonburg location, but there they do seem to know a lot about HDTV. Just bought a 30" Sony widescreen HDTV monitor there, and they price-matched Circuit City. Nothing against Circuit City, but the Crutchfield folks seemed more knowledgeable about HDTV matters.

Doug
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page