Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3707 Old 09-23-2004, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by LordSpork
I didn't think about the attic, which we do have. I'll have to go up there this weekend and see whats up there. How much should one of those channel masters cost? mmm I can almost taste the HDTV now, so close

The CM 4228 is about 3 feet square and goes for $50. If you don't have the room, the Silver Sensor will work well in the attic and goes for about $40. Again, echoing Trip, do not purchase the similar-looking Terk.

If you fail to get a consistent lock on all the stations, a Channel Master UHF pre-amp will help, however, WVIR-TV and DT may overload the pre-amp and cause intermod problems. Never use a pre-amp unless absolutely necessary.

29Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3707 Old 09-23-2004, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up about the diffrent antennas. I'll need to do some checking around to see what i can and can't do here at our place. Looks like no mater which way I go, this is going to be an expensive trip to HD land. With receivers and antennas and such. Oh well thats what make this all fun
post #183 of 3707 Old 09-23-2004, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 430
LordSpork,

The setup cost I gave was in anticipation you wanted to receive the Richmond stations. I still believe you will need the amp to get the Richmond stations, especially with an attic mount (attics can cause a reduction of up to 50% in signal loss). I have an AntennasDirect DB8 (practically the same as the 4228) mounted outside with a clear shot of Richmond, and once I disconnect the amp, I lose everything (except WVIR). As has been mentioned, with the amp it will probably hurt your reception of WVIR, but you can solve this by getting a $9 attenuator at Radio Shack and this will help you adjust the signal strength you are receiving. . This connects just before your STB, so you have easy access to turn the knob one way for local stations, and the other for distant ones.
post #184 of 3707 Old 10-04-2004, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

The good news is that our area can now get a good signal from FOX-35 Richmond (on 26-1 and 26-2) . . . during yesterday's NFL broadcast it was strong at my house, with no dropouts. The bad news was that there was video but no audio on 26-1. Also looked to be standard def, but the signal strength makes me hopeful of getting NFL football in hi-def, in time.

On 26-2 I was getting a standard def unstretched 4:3 image of the same broadcast, with sound, but looking a bit washed out (low color intensity).

This is now my strongest Richmond DTV station, I think. Anybody else getting the same result?

willie
post #185 of 3707 Old 10-04-2004, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wildwillie6
The good news is that our area can now get a good signal from FOX-35 Richmond (on 26-1 and 26-2)

Right, but they're not even officially on the air -- which might explain your audio problem. They're actually just testing equipment on those channels, according to a post in the Richmond thread from a while back (may soon solve those problems, given the time that's passed):

WRLH Fox35 update
I just spoke with Dennis Shelly at Fox35. As Darrel mentioned in an earlier post, with Rick's departure, Dennis is the only engineer there, so I was surprised that he took the time to call me back.

First, the sneak peak that we got over the weekend of 35-1 was an error. The transmitter was accidentally left on over the weekend when it should have been off.

They are not ready to go live yet. They don't have all the equipment installed and are waiting on more parts and engineers from Fox to come on site and help them complete the install.

One of the missing components is the equipment that allows them to remotely control the digital transmitter from a remote location. Apparently remote control is required by the FCC. The remote control equipment is scheduled to be installed beginning October 6th and the digital channel will be off the air until that installation is complete. (:

In the meantime, if you do happen to catch a signal on 35-1 it's only because they are doing some testing. So it's looks like we are still at least a couple of weeks away from seeing Fox HD on a regular basis.

post #186 of 3707 Old 10-08-2004, 10:27 AM

I've been stuck down yet again for getting HDTV. This time it was Dish network, signed up for there 49$ +10$ HDTV package with no sign up costs, equipment purchase or 1-2 year contract. Everything was looking good with an install date of this past Tuesday. The installer firsts gets lost coming to our place and i should have known things where going to be bad to start off with. So he gets there, walks out to the back and was like "Those are some big trees, can't put it here, do you have permission to mount it on the roof?" and of course since this is a rental unit thats a no go i was told from my landlord. so yet another week goes by with out HDTV, and to think we could have been watching that sweet UVA game in HD (But being there was much better) oh well. There is still OTA HD that we are looking into, but the costs are pretty high for only a handfull of channels. HDTV will be in our house some way or another, even if i have to mount a dish several yards away where there are no trees....hmmmmm.
post #187 of 3707 Old 10-08-2004, 12:53 PM

I would like to pass along the following information, and let you all know that a good friend and talented engineer was lost recently. I had the good fortune to help Ben integrate the new WHSV studio equipment. I have never met a friendlier, more eager to learn new software and hardware, professional than Ben. In this time of loss, I pass along this script of a WHSV newscast.

We close today's broadcast in memory of a dear friend and TV-3 colleague, WHSV's chief engineer, Ben Williams. Everyone who knew Ben would agree that he was one of the best people they ever knew: a bright engineer, always positive, never complaining, always thinking of others. Ben was involved in building the technical plant that is now home to WHSV. He was there for the long hours of the very first Toy Convoy. In fact Ben was involved with a lot of firsts here at WHSV, and always with smile. You rarely saw Ben on camera, but those of us who are on camera wouldn't be there without his help.

Ben has been our Chief Engineer for the past 4 years. In all, he worked for WHSV for over 7 years as an assistant chief engineer before becoming Chief Engineer.

TV-3 General Manager, Tracey Jones once asked Ben if he had any bad habits as she had never observed any. After thinking for a moment, he said, "Yes. I guess I work too hard sometimes."

Ben contracted melanoma cancer in 1999, but he worked through three operations and many other procedures before losing his gallant battle to the disease.

Ben leaves behind his wife Emily, 3-year old son Wyeth and 2-week old daughter Lenora.

We here at WHSV will miss him greatly. We are poorer for his having passed away, but so much richer that he passed our way. We extend our deepest sympathy and prayers to Emily, Wythe, Lenora and the rest of the family.

My prayers and condolences are with Ben's family.
post #188 of 3707 Old 10-09-2004, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

This is really sad news and, as a survivor of melanoma, I'm grieving over Ben's passing away. All my prayers go to Ben's family.

I remember back to early in the 2003 NFL football season when WHSV-DT first started telecasting MNF. I had had email correspondence with Ben for more than a year prior to that and he had kept me posted on WHSV's progress in going digital. Since I had no HDTV up until the summer of 2003, he raised the possibility of bringing a set down to my house to check out reception. But we never worked it out and I got HDTV in the meantime.

Finally, WHSV was ready last year to telecast the first HD MNF game. Ben emailed me his cell phone number and told me to call him in the control room during the game if there were problems. Indeed there were some; so I called him and, after briefly telling him about the audio and video problems, I was thankful he soon got them fixed. Just a tremendous guy and he'll be sorely missed; and on my learning this news, the day won't be the same for me.
post #189 of 3707 Old 10-22-2004, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Two little notes about Harrisonburg's hometown station:

1. WHSV has started using some logos that include "DT" -- subtle reminder that there is a digital side to the operation.

2. I don't think it's been officially rolled out yet, but a WHSV-TV satellite truck has been spotted in Harrisonburg. Nice paint job, Gray Broadcasting, etc. Now we can look forward to some live shots from somewhere other than Court Square! . . . when it's put into service, anyway.

(Uh, does NBC 29 already have a satellite truck?)

Peace, y'all,

willie
post #190 of 3707 Old 10-24-2004, 06:09 PM

NBC 29 not in HD for the second straight sunday. American Dreams has not been in HD for 2 weeks. what's up with NBC 29 on Sundays?
post #191 of 3707 Old 10-24-2004, 06:18 PM

HD now on 29.. Thanks. American Dreams is a good show for HD.
post #192 of 3707 Old 11-04-2004, 07:08 AM

lordspork,
May want to try direct tv. They charge a little more but their sat is higher in the sky then dish network. steeper angle may be able to get their signal.
post #193 of 3707 Old 11-10-2004, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
My fifth television market at my new website is none other than Charlottesville, VA!

http://www.rabbitears.info/listing.php?id=chv

Please let me know if you see any errors or if you know the tech specs on WCAV. And isn't WADA-CA already on 27? I thought they were, but the FCC still shows WADA licensed on channe 55.

My next job is Harrisonburg. I'll let y'all know when I get that done.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #194 of 3707 Old 11-29-2004, 04:05 PM

My father lives in southern Augusta County and I bought a HDTV set for him this weekend. He has a combo vhf/uhf antenna mounted on the roof and I was able to pick up the following digital signals:

WHSV-DT 3.1
WDBJ-DT 7.1-4
WSLS-DT 10.1-2
WBRA-DT 15.1-5
WPXR-DT 38.1-4

My father watches alot of PBS and I was quite disappointed I could not pick up WVPT-DT, especially since according to antennaweb.org it should be the easiest one to pick up from his location.

Can anyone confirm that WVPT-DT was broadcasting this weekend (Nov 27 & 28)? I am stumped.

Thanks.
post #195 of 3707 Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My father watches alot of PBS and I was quite disappointed I could not pick up WVPT-DT, especially since according to antennaweb.org it should be the easiest one to pick up from his location.

Can anyone confirm that WVPT-DT was broadcasting this weekend (Nov 27 & 28)? I am stumped.

I'm sure WVPT-DT was not broadcasting this weekend because I periodically checked and got nothing. I was hoping Willie or someone could apprise us of their status since they have not been broadcasting for quite a few weeks. Oh me, and there was a great Daniel O'Donnell concert on the 27th in 1080i that we could only see on analog WVPT.

Since Summer '03 I'd been getting great reception of WVPT-DT on 11.1 but for some time now I get nothing there. I believe its transmitter is on Elliot Knob. Recently, 51.1 gives my STB a strong signal but no picture. This evening it's showing a weak signal so perhaps WVPT-DT may be getting its digital signal ready to go again. With my elevation, I can often pick up WETA-DT from DC, but it's not really consistent.
post #196 of 3707 Old 11-29-2004, 08:24 PM

Thanks, I thought that may be the case. I hope they get their digital signal going again soon so my dad can get some reliable PBS digital programming.
post #197 of 3707 Old 11-30-2004, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jsh5771
WBRA-DT 15.1-5
WPXR-DT 38.1-4

Thanks.

Uhh... 15-5 is PBS-HD also.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #198 of 3707 Old 11-30-2004, 11:24 AM

True, but WBRA-HD from my father's house is not 100% reliable - during the weekend there were some times when some type of multipath interference would occur, which I guess is to be expected given the power that WBRA is broadcasting and the distance from the transmitter at approx. 75 miles. Being only approx 15 miles from the WVPT-DT transmitter, I would expect reception of that station to be 100% reliable.
post #199 of 3707 Old 11-30-2004, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Being only approx 15 miles from the WVPT-DT transmitter, I would expect reception of that station to be 100% reliable.

This distance is usually reliable but bear in mind WVPT-DT is licensed to transmit at a whopping 3.2 kW. This isn't much when you consider WVIR-DT is operating at close to 1,000 kW the last I checked. I would think a few blown out higher wattage light bulbs could take down WVPT-DT every thing else being equal. And I wonder when it starts transmitting again whether it'll be at 11.1 or 51.1 on my STB. Never did fully understand these decimals in selecting channels.
post #200 of 3707 Old 11-30-2004, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jsh5771
True, but WBRA-HD from my father's house is not 100% reliable - during the weekend there were some times when some type of multipath interference would occur, which I guess is to be expected given the power that WBRA is broadcasting and the distance from the transmitter at approx. 75 miles

I'm 79 miles away from WBRA and in a somewhat nulled area. It's far from 100% here also. It's due to the weak signal, e-skip, and tropo. Electrical noise could also be a factor, but in this area, unlikely.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #201 of 3707 Old 12-09-2004, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Folks, is anyone else having trouble getting WHSV-DT (on 49, 3-1) these days? "Lost" last night had lots of breakups for me. Signal strength was low and erratic, even with my ChannelMaster 4248 aimed right at the tower.

willie
post #202 of 3707 Old 12-10-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm solidly picking up WHSV-DT at 5:15 on Dec. 10 even with my very directional attic CM 4228 rotated toward Richmond. Could not pick up at all earlier this week so I guess they continue to have issues. Glad I can always get DC and Richmond digital stations but as I've reported before my altitude does it. But the price I pay is these ferocious winds.
post #203 of 3707 Old 12-15-2004, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Well, WHSV-DT has cleared up for me, too. When the weather's right, I can point halfway between Harrisonburg and Charlottesville and get both -- but most of the time, that compromise setting doesn't work.

But, straight on to WHSV-DT, I'm getting a good signal again.

FOX 35-1 continues to be my best Richmond signal. The others come and go, but FOX is solid almost all of the time.

willie
post #204 of 3707 Old 12-23-2004, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news for a handful -- if that -- of us in the Shenandoah Valley. At long last WVPT-DT on 11.1 is transmitting a 480p program with an excellent picture. The only problem is I have the volume turned up almost all the way and still can barely hear it. Oh well, it's been down for months, so I don't mind a few initial audio problems, given my spotty reception of WETA-DT from DC. Hope 11.1 goes to PBS-HD posthaste.
post #205 of 3707 Old 12-23-2004, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Further update on WVPT-DT: For some reason, 11.2 is transmitting PBS-HD 1080i and, despite the multi-casting of 4 channels, the PQ is really good.
post #206 of 3707 Old 12-27-2004, 05:07 PM

From my review of this thread, it seems like a few of you are using the channel master 4228 and pulling in Richmond, Charlottesville (NBC) and at least one of you appears to also be able to get some DC area stations. I am just a mile or 2 from the Carter Mountain Towers and am in Keswick (east side of C'ville).

Would those of you pulling in HD, please take a moment to identify your OTA antenna set up?

Manufacturer and model number
Using an amp? which and what gain
using a rotor?
Roof top, pole or attic?

Ideally I am going to do an attic mount. Thank you all for taking a moment to share your set up and results. Look forward to joining you in the land of HD !

ps, 29 guy, bet you know this, but Grave Electronics has closed it's doors after 35 years, so not sure who has the channel master distribution rights in c'ville anymore.
post #207 of 3707 Old 12-28-2004, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would those of you pulling in HD, please take a moment to identify your OTA antenna set up?

In my supplying this info to aid gecin, take note I'm more than 20 miles west of the Blue Ridge at about 1800 feet elevation. So I may not be a good illustrative example for picking up HD OTA and others especially around C'ville hopefully can help gecin more.

OTA antenna set up:
Manufacturer and model number -- CM 4228 in attic
Using an amp? which and what gain -- CM 3044 (Dist. amp with 22 dB gain)
rotor -- CM 9521A
HD Receiver -- Sony SAT HD200

I had no success using a CM 7777 preamp, but, with the 3044 dist. amp, I get terrific reception of DC and Richmond digital stations except 20, 50 and 26 (comes and goes) in DC and 12 in Richmond.
post #208 of 3707 Old 12-28-2004, 03:04 PM

thanks for your comments. Hope to hear from a few others. Does the Charlottesville NBC station overpower your system, or are you doing something else to get that station to come in?
post #209 of 3707 Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for your comments. Hope to hear from a few others. Does the Charlottesville NBC station overpower your system, or are you doing something else to get that station to come in?

Well, here it is, 5 hrs. later and anxiously awaiting responses from C'ville to assist gecin. Here in the Valley I pull in 29.1 with ease probably because it transmits at about 1,000 kW. Before the power increase, 29's chief engineer had been doubtful I could begin to pick them up when they went up from the low 3 kW, but I surprised him.

Which reminds me, 29's analog signal is a whopping 5,000 kW so I'm surprised that electricity costs seem to be a major consideration for many stations. Some say at analog shutdown they're going to a VHF signal since it's much cheaper than UHF. However, 29 proves that even in a smaller market enormous power consumption isn't a big handicap. My concern is I'm not happy with the prospect my terrific CM 4228 attic system will become useless.
post #210 of 3707 Old 12-29-2004, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Johnson
Here in the Valley I pull in 29.1 with ease probably because it transmits at about 1,000 kW.

. . . and over here in Bridgewater, also in the Valley but considerably lower in elevation, I also get 29 with excellent signal strength.

If the concern for an in-Charlottesville viewer is that 29's signal is too strong, that's not too hard to solve; what you'd do is use a ChannelMaster Join-Tenna for channel 32 (29.1's actual channel assignment), and run a little unamplified antenna in through that. The other half of the Join-Tenna would pass through all the other frequencies from a more powerful antenna set up for all the other stations. See http://www.channelmaster.com/Pages/TVS/Passives.htm for more.

willie
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page