Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3707 Old 04-02-2004, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread covers HDTV in Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley, with information and comments welcome on cable, satellite, and over-the-air offerings.

Here is the channel lineup available as of this posting:

Shenandoah Valley (Harrisonburg):
WHSV

3.1 ABC HD
3.2 Valley's FOX SD
3.3 TV3 Winchester SD
3.4 MyValley SD
WVPT

51.1 PBS HD
51.2 PBS Create SD
51.3 V'me SD (Spanish language programming)

Central Virginia (Charlottesville):
WVPT
(low-power on Carter's Mountain on UHF 11)
51.1 PBS HD
51.2 PBS Create SD
51.3 V'me SD (Spanish language programming)
WCAV
19.1 CBS HD
19.3 FOX SD
WVAW
16.1 ABC HD
WAHU
27.1 FOX HD
27.2 MyCville SD
19.2 19News Weather Now SD
WHTJ
41.1 PBS HD National Feed
41.2 PBS SD
41.3 MHz-Worldview SD
WVIR
29.1 NBC HD
29.2 Weather Plus (SD)
29.3 CW (SD)

Cross-market reception is possible on the stronger signals with a large amplified outdoor antenna, though coverage varies on some weaker signals. This post points to some coverage maps: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post15404671

Good resources for antenna aiming are www.antennaweb.org and www.tvfool.com

Signals from Richmond, even coming across one or two high mountain ridges, have become dependable for those with good outdoor antennas. Some of the possibilities are:

6.1 CBS Richmond - HDTV
6.2 24-hr Richmond weather - SD
8.1 ABC Richmond - HDTV
12.1 NBC Richmond - HDTV
12.2 24-hr Richmond weather - SD
23.1 PBS Richmond - HDTV
23.2 PBS Richmond - SD
23.3 PBS Richmond - SD
35.1 FOX Richmond - HDTV
35.2 Richmond - SD
65.1 CW Richmond - HDTV

Questions to answer:

What stations can you get? With what equipment?

Who's good at installing antennas?

One final note: People on this thread have been good most of the time about not insulting the broadcast engineers and other technical people who post. Among broadcast professionals, 29Guy has for years provided excellent information on NBC 29's digital transition. More recently, WCAV has begun posting as the Gray stations' digital transition has occurred. Again, the authoritative information is much appreciated.

Experience shows that when there's a technical problem with digital or HD, the broadcast professionals are on the same side with the enthusiasts -- wanting to deliver the best signal available, but having to work within practical constraints. Also, keep in mind that broadcast professionals posting on this board typically will not discuss politics, programming or similar issues.

In other words, "thank you for not trash-talking the broadcast engineers who may post on this forum."

willie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3707 Old 04-05-2004, 05:40 PM

> What stations can you get? With what equipment?

From just west of Mt. Crawford, I get WHSV-DT (top-notch signal) and WVPT-DT (top-notch signal). This is using a Winegard GS-2000 (I think) -- the stations are about 180 degrees apart, and that little antenna picks up both just fine.

Everything else doesn't even move the meter.

> Who's good at installing antennas? How's Timberville Electronics?

I'll let you know; Timberville Electronics is coming out to do an antenna upgrade sometime in the next few weeks.

>How many of us can get the Richmond NBC affiliate in HDTV but not Charlottesville? etc.

Can't get either with my little antenna.

Doug
post #3 of 3707 Old 04-08-2004, 05:21 PM

Finally a thread for Charlottesville/Harrisonburg? Well I'll be ........!

It's good to see some input from the other side of the mountain!

Here's some info from the Charlottesville vicinity

I live about 7 miles NW of C'ville in the woods at about 500' elevation (close to Free Union). I have a 4-bay bowtie on a 25' mast and can receive WVIR-DT 32 (NBC) and WHTJ-DT 41 (PBS) from the local transmitters (about 10 miles) and WTVR-DT 25 (CBS), WRIC-DT 22 (ABC) and WWBT-DT 54 (NBC) from Richmond (about 70 miles) - though the last is a little weak sometimes.

I can see the Richmond Fox channel WRLH-DT 26 but not strongly enough to lock - I think they are still in low-power mode.

I looked at the map of the terrain between here and the Harrisonburg WHSV 49 (ABC) tower and it seems that I should be able to get a good signal because of the height of that tower and because it is only about 35 miles away. However - I get nothing when I swing my antenna in that direction. I think that their antenna must be beamed down the Shenandoah valley with nothing coming this way!

I have not tried to get WVPT from Staunton as my antenna is not suitable for channel 11 and I get a very strong signal from the new local PBS digital signal on 41 - though there is no HD broadcasting yet.

Is the Staunton PBS broadcasting any programs in HD (when appropriate of course)?

Gerry
post #4 of 3707 Old 04-08-2004, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

These beautiful mountains make altitude an important advantage in this area and since I'm about 1800 ft above sea level, I get great reception. Using a rotored CM 4228 in the attic and a Sony HD200 with Hit. 57S500, I pick up the digital signals from NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, & PBS from DC about 125 miles away. I also get Ch. 22 (ABC) from Richmond on the digital side and Ch. 35 (Fox) analog plus the analog Ch. 29 from Charlottesville.

These distances especially from DC are surprising so I could wake up one day with no reception. But being an NFL nut, I've gotten CBS & Fox waivers thru DirecTV just in case. I also of course pick up Ch. 11 and 49, both of which are operating at kind of low power with about 3 kw for 11 and 65 kw for 49. Ch. 11 runs the PBS HD network and they carry some interesting programs with one being an "American Experience" last week about Abraham Lincoln. And I believe its transmitter is on the 4500 ft. Elliot Knob but its low power may make it dubious even if you have line of sight.
post #5 of 3707 Old 04-09-2004, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
*GASP* You stole the title from my Roanoke/Lynchburg thread! Just kidding, it looks fine. LOL.

WVPT is at full power. I'm 85 miles or so from WVPT but by turning the antenna that way can get WVPT-TV 51 and a blip from WVPT-DT. 3.2 kW on channel 11 is not that small of a number, being that VHF needs very little power to cover the same distance. I would like to see WVPT increase power myself though.

When I called WVIR last year about digital, they told me that they'd be at full power this summer, though I have to call about it again, because it's probably changed. I would like to see them at full power because I like NBC29 more than I like local NBC10 (WSLS Roanoke) and I can get NBC29 analog pretty well when WSLS-DT isn't bleeding all over it. Before WSLS-DT signed on, I'd watch NBC29 more than WSLS.

Any idea when WHTJ-DT might power up? It looks like their digital power won't be like the analog--all of it beaming STRAIGHT into the mountain (meaning, I've never seen WHTJ-TV from home before EVER). Their digital, on the other hand, looks like it will put about 100-200 kW or so in my direction, which might make it possible to receive. (I can get WFXR-DT from Roanoke with their 2.97 kW, so it wouldn't surprise me) I want to get WHTJ-DT because W60BM in Rustburg has more problems with it than Michael Jackson. It almost constantly suffers from hum that makes it look and sound horrible. Plus, I've been told that when the W60BM transmitter burns out, it won't be replaced, and I still want to be able to watch WCVE from home when that happens.

WHSV-DT is at low power at 65 kW, but their full power is on 88.2 kW IIRC, so it's not that much higher. They should try to go up to 300 kW at least if they want much of a digital signal, especially in the mountains on channel 49. The less power they have, the more challenging it will be to receive the signal, though it won't be impossible in most cases.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6 of 3707 Old 04-09-2004, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by GerryL

I have not tried to get WVPT from Staunton as my antenna is not suitable for channel 11 and I get a very strong signal from the new local PBS digital signal on 41 - though there is no HD broadcasting yet.

Gerry

Just wondering . . . your antenna isn't suitable for channel 11 -- meaning it's UHF only, right? I have seen folks posting that the upper VHF channels, especially the higher ones among 7-13, can produce an acceptable signal on a UHF-only antenna.

I have only a little local information to contribute: A supposedly UHF-only Radio Shack double bowtie antenna brings in channel 11 fine from here in Bridgewater -- but that's a very strong signal in our neighborhood anyway, and things may be different from your distance.

A while back I was considering going UHF-only and e-mailed WVPT about that. Their recommendation was "stick with a combination VHF-UHF antenna," implying they'd forsake channel 51 and stick with 11 after the digital transition, perhaps? But for around here, UHF-only seems to do fine with channel 11.

willie
post #7 of 3707 Old 04-09-2004, 05:49 AM

Right now, even with a small antenna, I get good analog signals from translators on

WVIR29 (Chalottesville): channel 31 from Elliot's Knob, maybe?
WUSA9 (Washington, DC): channel 18 from the Massanutten tower
WTTG5 (Washington, DC): channel 46 from the Massanutten tower

Does anyone know who maintains those translators -- or, more importantly to this thread, whether "someone" will bear the cost of converting them to digital operation in the future? I understand that the FCC has said the translator owners will get to keep their frequences and operate translators on them.

Doug
post #8 of 3707 Old 04-09-2004, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by giantcycle
Right now, even with a small antenna, I get good analog signals from translators on

WVIR29 (Chalottesville): channel 31 from Elliot's Knob, maybe?
WUSA9 (Washington, DC): channel 18 from the Massanutten tower
WTTG5 (Washington, DC): channel 46 from the Massanutten tower

Does anyone know who maintains those translators -- or, more importantly to this thread, whether "someone" will bear the cost of converting them to digital operation in the future? I understand that the FCC has said the translator owners will get to keep their frequences and operate translators on them.

Doug

W31CE ("Bridgewater, etc., VA") and W28BF ("Harrisonburg, VA") are both owned by WVIR-TV.

W18AA and W46AE are licensed to "Southern Rockingham, VA" and the licensee is 'The County of Rockingham, Virginia.'

I think that once everything is digital (i.e. when hell freezes over) the WVIR translators will make the conversion. Whether or not the others will (there's a network of translators up I-81 actually) remains to be seen. The new CBS19 might buy the ones that broadcast WUSA currently, but I would think WVIR would do the same to the ones that broadcast WRC although they haven't.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9 of 3707 Old 04-09-2004, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wildwillie6
Just wondering . . . your antenna isn't suitable for channel 11 -- meaning it's UHF only, right? I have seen folks posting that the upper VHF channels, especially the higher ones among 7-13, can produce an acceptable signal on a UHF-only antenna ...

If this helps, my market (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) has analog channels 7 and 9, both of which I get fairly well with a supposedly UHF-only Silver Sensor. Of course, your mileage may vary -- we're a little flatter than Central Virginia.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #10 of 3707 Old 04-17-2004, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA in a different thread
When I drove through the other day, WVPY (I was unable to receive WVPT when we went through Staunton) was doing this:

21-1 PBS-HD
21-2 PBS // WVPT-51
21-3 PBS Kids
21-4 PBS You
21-5 Blank, but there

- Trip

Right -- that's the same lineup that WVPT broadcasts on 11-1 through 11-5 from its transmitter west of Staunton. I gather that the signal is stronger to the northeast of the transmitter.

willie
post #11 of 3707 Old 04-18-2004, 06:51 AM

i live just north of charlottesville near the airport. I have a 2 story house with a basement.

In my attic I have a channel master 4228 with a channel master preamp.

I am able to pull in NBC 29 and PBS from Charlottesville and ABC, CBS and FOX from Richmond.

I can't pull in ABC from Harrisonburg or their PBS station.

I know if i put my atenna outside, i could probably get NBC from Richmond, but I don't need it since I get NBC 29 with no problem.
post #12 of 3707 Old 04-18-2004, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tmcck
i live just north of charlottesville near the airport. I have a 2 story house with a basement.

In my attic I have a channel master 4228 with a channel master preamp.

I am able to pull in NBC 29 and PBS from Charlottesville and ABC, CBS and FOX from Richmond.

Nice to be able to get those signals. Do you have a rotator on that antenna, or can you get all those stations by aiming at Richmond?

Thanks,

Doug
post #13 of 3707 Old 04-18-2004, 04:22 PM

I get all of those signals by aiming towards Richmond. I think most of the richmond stations are on the same tower or close together.

i would like to be able to pull in harrisonburg, but I can't.

Sometimes i have to switch to a small silver sensor antenna to pull in the 2 c'ville stations.
post #14 of 3707 Old 04-20-2004, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Re: getting the Harrisonburg station from Charlottesville:

My late grandmother lived in C'ville and my family visited often, so I remember something about the limited OTA reception situation there (WVIR, WHTJ, and whatever you were lucky enough to get from Richmond or translators.)

Unless something's changed, I always thought you didn't get WHSV-TV 3 (ABC Harrisonburg) directly from C'ville due to the mountains, and that what you were actually getting was a low-power translator for TV 3. Has that changed? If it hasn't, it may affect you.

Glad to hear another channel's coming to C'ville.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #15 of 3707 Old 04-24-2004, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

You're right -- I understand TV3's direct signal is a little sketchy in Charlottesville so that a lot of folks who get TV3 over the air in C'ville are relying on that translator. When I lived over that way -- in the Red Hill area -- I happened to be living on a mountain that faced NW and we got TV3 over the air directly better than we got WVIR-29. But we were the exception.

I notice that Gray Television is specifically saying that the new Charlottesville CBS affiliate will serve that area -- notably, not claiming that it will try to serve Harrisonburg-Charlottesville as TV3 and WVIR-29 both currently do, to some extent. However, if that new CBS affiliate's signal gets as far as Waynesboro, I'll bet my big ol' antenna will get it, whether or not the broadcaster is interested in the signal getting out this far. After all, I can pick up Charlottesville's low-power Pax 55 and I'm thinking that the Pax affiliate doesn't count on many viewers pulling in that signal from out here.

willie
post #16 of 3707 Old 04-24-2004, 06:03 PM

I live between the stadium and I-64 and am getting ready to purchase an antenna for HD. I'm only 3 miles from the NBC transmitter, so I don't think I'll have a problem catching that.

I am interested in picking up ABC in HD from anywhere I can get it. I currently will be getting CBS and FOX (when they broadcast HD) over DirecTV with my waivers. How much antenna will I need for ABC?
post #17 of 3707 Old 04-25-2004, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by aranganath
I live between the stadium and I-64 and am getting ready to purchase an antenna for HD. I'm only 3 miles from the NBC transmitter, so I don't think I'll have a problem catching that.

I am interested in picking up ABC in HD from anywhere I can get it. I currently will be getting CBS and FOX (when they broadcast HD) over DirecTV with my waivers. How much antenna will I need for ABC?

Over at www.antennaweb.org and www.titantv.com you can put in your address and other variables to get some estimates. Here's what I got from the intersection of Fontaine Avenue and Jefferson Park Avenue:

red - uhf WVIR 29 NBC CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 157° 3.5 29
* red - uhf WVIR-DT 29.1 NBC CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 157° 3.5 32
red - uhf WADA-LP 55 PAX CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 155° 3.4 55
red - uhf WHTJ 41 PBS CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 159° 3.4 41
* red - uhf WHTJ-DT 46 PBS Charlottesville VA TBD 159° 3.4 46
red - uhf W64AO 64 ABC CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 156° 3.4 64
red - uhf W50CM 50 PBS CHARLOTTESVILLE VA 159° 3.4 50
blue - uhf W58DK 58 PBS RUCKERSVILLE, ETC. VA 19° 31.8 58
violet - uhf W39AK 39 PBS ROCKFISH VALLEY VA 259° 24.2 39
violet - vhf WHSV 3 ABC HARRISONBURG VA 0° 40.3 3
violet - uhf WPXW 66 PAX MANASSAS VA 59° 83.0 66

. . . and that says you'd need a "violet" (large directional antenna with preamp) even to get WHSV's analog signal on Channel 3. It doesn't list WHSV-DT, on UHF 49. It also doesn't list WRIC-DT from Richmond, which would be another way to get ABC in HD. Those listings are known to be conservative, though; you can often do better. Therefore:

* You should be able to get good digital signals from all those transmitters on Carter's Mountain with a "red" (medium directional) antenna, no need for a preamp, and no need for a rotator. Just aim it at Carter's Mountain and you should be fine; those locations are all within three degrees of each other. Wouldn't take a big antenna, and you might be able to get away with mounting it inside, as in an attic.

* But if you want to really reach out and grab an ABC signal from Harrisonburg or Richmond, you'd need a big antenna with preamp and rotator, say a Channel Master 4228 or 4248 with a 7775 preamp. And this antenna would probably get way too strong a signal from the Carter's Mountain transmitters. For any setup where you have two antenna inputs to your system, you could have two antennas and run both cables in (small fixed antenna pointed at Carter's Mountain, big one on the rotator to go hunting for ABC signals.) Combining the two cables outside is problematic, as you'll see from some posts elsewhere on www.avsforum.com.

* In between the large and the small, there's a possibility you could find an antenna big enough to get a distant ABC signal but small enough not to overload on the close ones. But that would be a matter of experimentation . . . as you probably have heard, it's difficult to know what will bring in signals at any given location until you try.

Good luck -- please let us know how it goes. Your experience could be helpful to others looking to bring in signals in Charlottesville (after you have gone to the effort on their behalf

willie
post #18 of 3707 Old 04-25-2004, 06:26 AM

Thanks for the info. I need to find a good topographical map of Charlottesville with everything labeled, cause as it stands, I have no clue where Carter's mountain is. According to Antennaweb, I'm 3 miles away from that farm of transmitters, so I would imagine picking it all up wouldn't be difficult.

Do we have any idea when our local ABC affiliate is going digital? If that happened, there wouldn't really be any need for me to have to reach out to richmond.
post #19 of 3707 Old 04-25-2004, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by aranganath
Thanks for the info. I need to find a good topographical map of Charlottesville with everything labeled, cause as it stands, I have no clue where Carter's mountain is. According to Antennaweb, I'm 3 miles away from that farm of transmitters, so I would imagine picking it all up wouldn't be difficult.

Carter's Mountain is the original name of what's sometimes today called Brown's Mountain -- that big mountain just above Monticello. (In fact, that mountain looks down on Monticello.) Look out that direction, SSE, and you'll see it. In fact, if you drive Va. Rt. 20 from Piedmont Virginia Community College to Scottsville, Carter's Mountain will be that big ridge on your left.

Quote:

Do we have any idea when our local ABC affiliate is going digital? If that happened, there wouldn't really be any need for me to have to reach out to richmond.

Ah, that's the problem. Our local affiliate WHSV-TV3 is already digital, on WHSV-DT 49, but that's hard to get in the Charlottesville area. . . so then the problem is, when will they convert their Charlottesville area translator to digital operation? And I think that will depend on the (unpredictable) speed of the overall digital conversion.

. . . and when they do, that translator will be easily receivable from where you are (156 degrees, 3.4 miles).

As for getting the ABC affiliate from Richmond, it's hard but not that hard. I get a reasonable signal from all the way over here in the Shenandoah Valley, and I notice an earlier post on this thread had someone getting Richmond ABC with a four-bay bowtie antenna on a 25' mast, up around Free Union. The signal should be stronger to you than it would be to Free Union.

I think.

willie
post #20 of 3707 Old 04-25-2004, 01:33 PM

I'll give WHSV a call tomorrow. I wonder what kind of equipment is involved in translating a digital signal. I'd imagine it's a lot easier to do than translating an analog signal (but the manufacturers still probably charge an arm and a leg for the gear)

I wonder what the cons of mounting an antenna in a tree are.
post #21 of 3707 Old 04-26-2004, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Hi,

Currently I live in Ashburn but may be moving to Harrisonburg in the near future and want to make sure I have everything in order for receiving HD signals when I arrive. I see Bill Johnson posted he gets 4,5,6,7,and 9 from DC but appears to be the only one getting those results. I currently use the CM 4248 and 7777 with rotor in my attic and get DC signals in the 80-98% range (I know I won't get that strength in Harrisonburg) and wonder what my chances are of getting those on a consistent basis if at all in your area? How high do I need to install my antenna? What are the chances of picking up Roanoke and Richmond digital stations?

I see ABC-DT from Harrisonburg is up and running so that takes care of Monday Night Football in HD, and I receive ESPN-HD so Sunday Night Football is covered there. Now how in the world are we going to get FOX and CBS in HD? I also want to receive the DC stations via Dish Network (for other non-HD receivers and for a backup), and wonder if I need a waiver for that? Many thanks for any info you can give me.

A squirrel has been eating my tomatoes, so I took my AK-47 and shot him with an armor-piercing bullet. Unfortunately, it also went through my neighbor's car and his neighbors SUV before being stopped by a propane truck filling a tank. Most of the neighborhood is now gone, but that squirrel will no longer be eating my tomatoes.
post #22 of 3707 Old 04-26-2004, 12:18 PM

I see Bill Johnson posted he gets 4,5,6,7,and 9 from DC but appears to be the only one getting those results. I currently use the CM 4248 and 7777 with rotor in my attic and get DC signals in the 80-98% range (I know I won't get that strength in Harrisonburg) and wonder what my chances are of getting those on a consistent basis if at all in your area?

Getting DC signals from around here is doubtful. In this neighborhood 8 miles south of Harrisonburg we don't get anything digital, and very fuzzy analog on ch. 4 only.

How high do I need to install my antenna? What are the chances of picking up Roanoke and Richmond digital stations?

Roanoke is doubtful; too much distance and too many mountains. Richmond is highly likely, however, if you can get that CM 4248 and 7777 up to second story height. I have a neighbor who's putting in something similar, but already gets most of the Richmond stations with minor dropouts on his old Channel Master Crossfire.

I see ABC-DT from Harrisonburg is up and running so that takes care of Monday Night Football in HD, and I receive ESPN-HD so Sunday Night Football is covered there. Now how in the world are we going to get FOX and CBS in HD? I also want to receive the DC stations via Dish Network (for other non-HD receivers and for a backup), and wonder if I need a waiver for that? Many thanks for any info you can give me.

The CBS problem should be solved when the new Charlottesville affiliate signs on beginning in August (but who knows when their digital signal will be available)? For FOX, Richmond is the most likely source -- see the Richmond thread on their troubles.

Consolation prize: There are good NTSC signals from WUSA-9 and WTTG-5 beamed into the Harrisonburg area on translators.

Doug
post #23 of 3707 Old 04-26-2004, 12:25 PM

If you have DirecTV or Dish, you may also be able to get waivers for CBS and FOX. They both currently broadcasts CBS in HD via Satellite, and when Fox goes HD (before the Fall season), both providers should be picking that up in HD too.

In Charlottesville, they granted me waivers for CBS and Fox. I'm hoping they won't retract them when we get the local affiliate, but who knows.
post #24 of 3707 Old 04-26-2004, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. This may not be so bad after all if I understand you guys correctly. I've been a Dish customer for several years, and when I first bought my HD receiver from them they were not broadcasting local channels in HD, so that was the reason I went to the antenna. From what you are saying they are broadcasting those local channels in HD so I don't even need my antenna. If that is true, GREAT, especially now that FOX is supposedly going HD this fall. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it I will be able to get local HD from Dish on 4, 5, 7, and 9 and have no need for an antenna providing I get a waiver. I'll have to give them a call and find out. Please, please, please. Got have the Redskins in HD this year. Thanks again.

EDIT: Ok, it looks like I will need a waiver and it may take 45 days. Ouch! Can't have that during football season, so I may have to temporarily use an antenna. Maybe others in the 22801 zip have had different experiences.

A squirrel has been eating my tomatoes, so I took my AK-47 and shot him with an armor-piercing bullet. Unfortunately, it also went through my neighbor's car and his neighbors SUV before being stopped by a propane truck filling a tank. Most of the neighborhood is now gone, but that squirrel will no longer be eating my tomatoes.
post #25 of 3707 Old 04-28-2004, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, when we were driving through Staunton I had some signal (not enough, but higher and better antenna would have yielded a decodable signal) from WDBJ-DT in Roanoke, which is the only one at full-power on a non-directional stick. That's CBS-HD. Whether or not they could be received in Harrisonburg... I don't know.

Sorry, my friend, but Fox OTA is not an option for you unless you can pull in WTTG-DT, which is unlikely. Richmond's WRLH-DT is awful, with low power and no HD. Roanoke's Fox 21/27 has a decent signal on WJPR-DT, but it's directional with almost no signal to the north or south IIRC, and WFXR-DT is at very low-power from Poor Mountain with WDBJ. The good news is that we've received confirmation that Fox 21/27 WILL do Fox-HD when it starts this fall.

I don't know how NBC29's signal will be in Harrisonburg, but I don't think WWBT-DT is an option either. As far as Roanoke, WSLS-DT will be Roanoke's most powerful digital signal, but right now it's at low power. Eventually, it will be twice as powerful as WDBJ-DT (if you can imagine that). Maybe you'll be able to get that. I don't know.

I think that's all the important networks other than ABC, which is WHSV-DT, and PBS, WVPT-DT.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #26 of 3707 Old 04-28-2004, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA
I don't know how NBC29's signal will be in Harrisonburg, but I don't think WWBT-DT is an option either.

Sounds logical, but here's a curious result I've been getting: I get WWBT-DT from Richmond with a good strong signal from my rooftop antenna -- and can barely get NBC29 to move the meter on UHF 32.

As for analog signals, I get the native NBC29 signal well (pretty strong, a little snowy, very light ghosting) but the WWBT-12 analog signal badly (weak signal, snowy, but no ghosting). Of course, the relayed NBC29 signals from Massanutten, North Mountain and other translators are just fine. Who knows, maybe we won't get NBC29 well until those translators are converted to digital . . . years from now.

willie
post #27 of 3707 Old 04-28-2004, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

What about getting a waiver from Dish for the DC stations? Anyone here doing that? Please say yes. I'm not big on that 45 day delay though.

Man, I had no idea the difficulty in getting OTA from Harrisonburg. The broadcasting Gods must hate people who don't live close to cities. I knew DC would be out, but the other locations are disappointing. I'm not real sure I understand what that translator sending signals from 9 and 5 in DC is all about either. Once again thanks for the feedback.

post #28 of 3707 Old 04-28-2004, 01:50 PM

I don't see why there woudl be a 45 day wait. In Charlottesville, at least, the waivers are already approved for FOX and CBS, so you can get them instantly.
post #29 of 3707 Old 04-29-2004, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by ALIENS
I'm not real sure I understand what that translator sending signals from 9 and 5 in DC is all about either.

There are translators up and down the Shenandoah Valley, and in lots of other rural areas too, as it turns out. Without the translators, you get only the local ABC and PBS affiliates. By grabbing distant signals and rebroadcasting them on available UHF frequencies, the translators add CBS and FOX from DC, as well as NBC from Charlottesville. Therefore the local viewer with a modest antenna can still get ABC-NBC-CBS-FOX-PBS.

Locally, there's not a lot of awareness about the translators. Most people have cable and satellite for a primary signal. But when they plug in that extra TV in the garage, turn the rabbit ears the right way and scan for channels, they get five instead of two because of the translators.

The local government (Rockingham County) pays for the modest yearly maintenance budget on the translators; the distant stations get a few more viewers (obviously more important for the Charlottesville station than the DC ones); local viewers get better reception.

I'm not sure what the politics were when the translators were originally approved, but in our neighborhood you can still see signs of the pre-translator era: rusting Channel Master antennas on high masts pointed toward Richmond. And, at our house, what my wife calls "a Cadillac on a stick."

willie
post #30 of 3707 Old 04-29-2004, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wildwillie6
By grabbing distant signals and rebroadcasting them on available UHF frequencies, the translators add CBS and FOX from DC, as well as NBC from Charlottesville. Therefore the local viewer with a modest antenna can still get ABC-NBC-CBS-FOX-PBS.

willie

Great info, thanks. Can I assume they are in digital? I would hate to waste my HD setup. Actually, I need to find a way to use it come hell or high water.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page