Forum Jump: 

post #6211 of 6504 Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post

Do you have a grandfathered DirecTV package? I ask because there's currently no option regarding locals. If locals are offered then they're automatically added to your package - you can't decline them. Locals have been available here for many years so I'm surprised to see anyone with a package that doesn't include them.

It sounds like you may be going to a lot of trouble and extra expense to avoid a few dollars a month extra charge for locals.

As for compression, our locals are now broadcast on DirecTV using MPEG4 technology. I've done A/B comparisons with over the air and the DirecTV signal is as good or better to my eyes. It gets technical when you get into bit rates and such, but I'm very happy with the quality of the locals on DirecTV. There is one other factor to consider. DirecTV doesn't carry local sub-channels, such as 25.3. That's why I maintain an over the air antenna in addition to the locals from the satellite.

Your problem has to be with your antenna or the wiring. I'm just off Chapel Road a few miles south of you and all of them are fine for me. Again, channel 6 always requires the most fine tuning but even it is working well and that's with rabbit ears.

Not grandfathered at all. I had to switch packages from my grandfathered package a long time ago when I wanted to add the new DVR's. I just told them I had no need for locals and they took it off my package. You touched on one of the main reasons why I maintain an OTA - reception and sub-channels. I use an OTA because 1) it's free; 2) no compression; 3) sub-channel reception and 4) during storms, my OTA works fine, while DTV loses itself in the weather. We DO get a lot of storms here in Central TX!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6504 Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

I would suspect corrosion in a connection with the coax. this has happened to me. If you are using an amp, check the short piece of coax that is attached from the balun to the amp. Look for discoloration. It sometimes appears as a white powdery looking substance on the connection. Moisture is a major culprit of loss of signal.

If you find corrosion anywhere in the coax line, remove the offending connection and put a new clean one in its place. Get some di-electric grease and fill the f connector with it, screw it on the receptical for it and seal the connection with silicone sealant or tape it very well with electrical tape. Keep the moisture out by any means necessary.

I would wager to guess that you will find corrosion. As a rule, antennas just don't go bad... Good luck.

It goes unsaid, but hey, thanks everyone for helping out on this! It's always nice to be able to bounce ideas.

Corrosion sounds like a culprit and I will check on that. The antenna coax line is running from antenna to a line coupler near the chimney (where all DTV lines enter the roof.) The line couples together (it's wrapped with electrical tape) and runs through the attic and down into a junction box to a TERK BMS-58 5x8 multi-switch, which is dedicated for the OTA antenna only. So, the power coax on it is inside the house (and the junction box for that matter.) The only place I could have corrosion would be outside where the lines couple or connect to the antenna coax out. I can always replace the RG6 line, no problem.

I may have failed to mention this, but it's only 9-1, 9-2, 10-1 and 10-2 that is out. When one goes, so goes the other. 25-1, 25-3, 44-1, 34-1, 34-2 are not a problem and have always been steady. It's only the lower band frequencies. That's why I suspect the antenna, itself at this point.

Does anyone know if the frequencies for these channels are actually on the low VHF or high VHF?

Update: I talked with L&M Electronics today. The only thought was that maybe the multi-switch is failing. I was told that there are seperate resistors on the inside for VHF and UHF and that the VHF side could be damaged. I bought a pre-amp, got it hooked up and took the multi-switch out of the loop. No dice, in fact, I lost 44-1! So, I am picking up a Winegard HD-7015 tomorrow and, weather permitting, have it up sometime Wed a.m.
post #6213 of 6504 Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
As for compression, our locals are now broadcast on DirecTV using MPEG4 technology. I've done A/B comparisons with over the air and the DirecTV signal is as good or better to my eyes. It gets technical when you get into bit rates and such, but I'm very happy with the quality of the locals on DirecTV.

I agree completely. I was skeptical when MPEG4 was first introduced, but I have done comparisons as well, and I can't see any difference with my eye on a 1080p display. I still keep an OTA antenna because I like having several NFL choices on Sundays. But the HD locals on D* are good.
post #6214 of 6504 Old 12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban11 View Post

It goes unsaid, but hey, thanks everyone for helping out on this! It's always nice to be able to bounce ideas.

Corrosion sounds like a culprit and I will check on that. The antenna coax line is running from antenna to a line coupler near the chimney (where all DTV lines enter the roof.) The line couples together (it's wrapped with electrical tape) and runs through the attic and down into a junction box to a TERK BMS-58 5x8 multi-switch, which is dedicated for the OTA antenna only. So, the power coax on it is inside the house (and the junction box for that matter.) The only place I could have corrosion would be outside where the lines couple or connect to the antenna coax out. I can always replace the RG6 line, no problem.

I may have failed to mention this, but it's only 9-1, 9-2, 10-1 and 10-2 that is out. When one goes, so goes the other. 25-1, 25-3, 44-1, 34-1, 34-2 are not a problem and have always been steady. It's only the lower band frequencies. That's why I suspect the antenna, itself at this point.

Does anyone know if the frequencies for these channels are actually on the low VHF or high VHF?

Update: I talked with L&M Electronics today. The only thought was that maybe the multi-switch is failing. I was told that there are seperate resistors on the inside for VHF and UHF and that the VHF side could be damaged. I bought a pre-amp, got it hooked up and took the multi-switch out of the loop. No dice, in fact, I lost 44-1! So, I am picking up a Winegard HD-7015 tomorrow and, weather permitting, have it up sometime Wed a.m.

The 7015 has low VHF, which you don't have or need. Lots of wasted metal.
A 7694 would be a better choice.
http://search.solidsignal.com/?q=769...earch=1&cart=0
post #6215 of 6504 Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

The 7015 has low VHF, which you don't have or need. Lots of wasted metal.
A 7694 would be a better choice.
http://search.solidsignal.com/?q=769...earch=1&cart=0

Lots of wasted metal, unless you want to also run an FM reciever off of it for regular FM or digital FM. And also, for myself, I don't want to limit myself. There actually may be a time when there will be some programming on a low power, low VHF channel that I may want to watch.

In our area, there are LD apps for channels 2, 3, 4, and 6. Will all be built??? Probably not. But some might. And some may be even watchable when there is no electical interference!

There will be a nationwide filing window for low power digital channels in July 2010. You can bet that with the crowded spectrum as it is, there will be multiple filings for low VHF LD stations in metropolitan areas across the nation.

I guess I go for the gusto... I went for the CM 3671 deepest fringe antenna for myself...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #6216 of 6504 Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

Lots of wasted metal...

Yes. And it may add to the possibility of FM harmonic interference on VHF High channels.
post #6217 of 6504 Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Yes. And it may add to the possibility of FM harmonic interference on VHF High channels.

I've had no problems with that so far... but of course, that's just me. I am about the same distance from the FMs as I am from the DTs and LDs.

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #6218 of 6504 Old 12-31-2009, 06:58 AM

Just a note that you may want to check your series recordings if you're using DirecTV. A few days ago the 72.5 MPEG2 signal for locals was shut off. That seemed to do something to my R22 DVR and none of the local channel series recordings worked properly. They all showed 0 for future recordings. I had to re-create them to get things correct. I recall this happening once before but I'm not certain of the reason. It's possible that it was just a fluke with my particular DVR this time but the previous event got almost everyone.

However, my HR20-700 didn't have any problem at all. I can't explain that.

DirecTV since 1999
Sony 34" HD KD34XBR970

Seiki 40"
Vulkano Flow
R22 DVR
HR20-700 HD DVR
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

post #6219 of 6504 Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Has anyone else had a problem with channel 46 in the last few days? It wasn't coming in for me, so I did a channel re-scan and now 46.1 is nothing, 46.2 is PBS and 46.3 is the Pentagon channel...weird.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #6220 of 6504 Old 01-04-2010, 04:52 AM

OK, so I got my new antenna up and operational with a pre-amp and a powered amplified multiswitch (TERK.) My wife spent time with me on cell phones to help with locating the placement of the antenna - must be love. I am still having trouble with channels 9-1 and 9-2. I show up to 80% signal during the day, but then the signal strength drops at night to 50% and fluctuates to a drop out point. I am not sure why that is? Channel's 10-1, 10-2 are at 95% to 100%, 25-1 and 25-3 are at 100% and 44-1 is at 100%. I was able to pick up channel 46-1 PBS out of Belton, and 46-2 (Pentagon channel?), but at some point in the last few days, this channel broadcast completely disappeared showing 0% on signal strength.
post #6221 of 6504 Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 AM

What HDTV antenna would provide excellent reception for Bryan/College Station and beyond.
post #6222 of 6504 Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

What HDTV antenna would provide excellent reception for Bryan/College Station and beyond.

It depends on how high you can get it and what stations you're trying to receive. I have a Winegard SS-2000 mounted on a pole 25 feet in the air and I receive all the BCS locals with no problems. I feel like you could probably use a small indoor antenna and achieve decent results, but I can't confirm that. If you're trying to receive channels from Houston or Waco, you may need to go bigger and higher. I hope this helps!
post #6223 of 6504 Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM

I noticed that D* added 23-1 to my OTA channel lineup. I'm getting good signal strength and the picture looks fine. Are they broadcasting in HD yet?
post #6224 of 6504 Old 01-30-2010, 04:37 PM

It looks like Suddenlink increased the upload speed recently. I have been really pleased with their phone and internet service thus far.
post #6225 of 6504 Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM

FWIW, KCEN has moved from RF 9 back to RF 6...

http://www.centraltexasnow.com/globa...asp?s=11913266
post #6226 of 6504 Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyb99 View Post

It looks like Suddenlink increased the upload speed recently. I have been really pleased with their phone and internet service thus far.

We got our upgrade a few weeks ago.... now 10/1 for the base service (which is good enough for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghedien14 View Post

I haven't looked yet but did this screw with suddenlink? I happened to check my recordings off nbc last night and they were not HD (looked like SD). Wonder if the qam channel changed or of KCEN's HD feed was off last night.
post #6227 of 6504 Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghedien14 View Post

I think they just changed PSIP. There's no application on file at the FCC for them to switch frequency.
post #6228 of 6504 Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Why did KCEN switch mapping less than a year ago only to now switch it back? Seems like a big waste of resources.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6229 of 6504 Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Why did KCEN switch mapping less than a year ago only to now switch it back? Seems like a big waste of resources.

Maybe...just MAYBE...marketing is ahead of engineering and KCEN is going to file for another RF frequency. :-) :-)

Trip well knows that KCEN is my nemesis, so anything that even remotely gives a hint of them getting off RF-9 is a sign of hope or so I hope.
post #6230 of 6504 Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post

Maybe...just MAYBE...marketing is ahead of engineering and KCEN is going to file for another RF frequency. :-) :-)

Trip well knows that KCEN is my nemesis, so anything that even remotely gives a hint of them getting off RF-9 is a sign of hope or so I hope.

It is still on RF-9. When I did a channel scan to get it back on my TV, it found 7-1, 6-1, 6-2, 10-1, 10-2 in that order. My other set-top box just changed the alias on the fly when I tuned to 9-1.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #6231 of 6504 Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip

Perhaps someone at London Broadcasting read the rule about the PSIP being the same as the former analog channel.
post #6232 of 6504 Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Talked to the station manager yesterday and he said that they should have HD on D* within 30 days
post #6233 of 6504 Old 02-04-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolands1 View Post

Talked to the station manager yesterday and he said that they should have HD on D* within 30 days

We've heard that story before. I'll believe it when I see it. It's a joke when small PBS stations like KWBU and KNCT are in HD on DirecTV but KXXV isn't.

DirecTV since 1999
Sony 34" HD KD34XBR970

Seiki 40"
Vulkano Flow
R22 DVR
HR20-700 HD DVR
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

post #6234 of 6504 Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock Joe View Post

Perhaps someone at London Broadcasting read the rule about the PSIP being the same as the former analog channel.

The rule you refer to applied only to pre-transition channel number in PSIP.
Post-transition the station has the right to use either channel number.

Stations are required to choose the suffix they will use. (TV,DT or None - TV/DT is no longer legal)
post #6235 of 6504 Old 02-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Anyone know why NBC isn't in HD on Suddenlink channel 730?

I called Suddenlink and they have no idea.

Have a question? AIM me: supremeMilo
post #6236 of 6504 Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I would imagine this is the problem... http://www.centraltexasnow.com/globa...asp?s=11913266

as I said on texags though not sure why its still a problem...
post #6237 of 6504 Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM

I happened to flip to 23-1 last night and the Jay Leno Show was in HD and 5.1. I wasn't aware that they were broadcasting in HD yet. The picture looked okay; there was quite a bit of pixelation when Kurt Warner was throwing the football with Ashton Kutcher (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write). Anyway, it's good to see our locals finally going HD.
post #6238 of 6504 Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM

Good to see KCEN news in HD now. Surely KWTX can't be that far behind.
post #6239 of 6504 Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 AM

I just purchased a HD Homerun from Amazon, but didn't get the Antenna yet. I have internet through suddenlink, but no TV service. My wife is really wanting to watch the Olympics, so I thought this would be a good way to go. Do you guys have any advice for an antenna or a better way to get NBC HD?

Thanks!
post #6240 of 6504 Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't need to get the antenna.... if you have internet you should be able to tune the clear qam locals (even w/o tv service). Just let the hdhomerun scan and see if it finds the channels. You will get kbtx, kcen, krhd, kyle, kamu in HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page