Waco / Bryan, TX - HDTV - Page 217 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6481 of 6504 Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did something change with the power output (or directional output) with KCEN (6) and KWTX (10)? They were coming in fine at my house in Round Rock. I didn't adjust my antenna or change any equipment. They just stopped tuning in. KCEN I get pixellated in the evening. KWTX, nothing. These had been working fine for 6+ years. Just wondering.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 6504 Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Did something change with the power output (or directional output) with KCEN (6) and KWTX (10)? They were coming in fine at my house in Round Rock. I didn't adjust my antenna or change any equipment. They just stopped tuning in. KCEN I get pixellated in the evening. KWTX, nothing. These had been working fine for 6+ years. Just wondering.

It seems that KCEN is working better today, I'm holding a good strong signal. Is it storm related??

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #6483 of 6504 Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf007 View Post

I did notice a big improvement in channel 40 reception after aiming my antenna with a compass -- turns out my estimate based on the map was about 30 degrees off!

What heading are you aiming at?
post #6484 of 6504 Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM

Liked: 10
Shot in the dark here since no one has posted in 3+ month, but I remember that a Fox Waco engineer used to post here. I am wondering if there is any way that we could stop getting Redskins games every Sunday. I know that RG3 plays for them, but he and Baylor don't have much of a following in Bryan/College Station, and I, like most that I know, despise the Redskins. I guess this is part of a larger problem. I would like to see us have our own Fox affiliate and not be relegated to being served by a repeater for Fox in Waco.
post #6485 of 6504 Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillinBryan View Post

Shot in the dark here since no one has posted in 3+ month, but I remember that a Fox Waco engineer used to post here. I am wondering if there is any way that we could stop getting Redskins games every Sunday. I know that RG3 plays for them, but he and Baylor don't have much of a following in Bryan/College Station, and I, like most that I know, despise the Redskins. I guess this is part of a larger problem. I would like to see us have our own Fox affiliate and not be relegated to being served by a repeater for Fox in Waco.

The FOX network considers Waco-Temple-Killeen-Bryan-College Station as one market.
As such FOX will not grant a seperate affiliation to any station in Bryan-College Station.
They also will not allocate a dedicated Network reciever for KYLE. (As does CBS to KBTX)

A far as football game choices go, the only options that Texas stations have are Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans.
All other game decisions are determined by the FOX Network Programming division. mad.gif
post #6486 of 6504 Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 PM

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply!

This DMA is bizarre. KBTX's transmitter is in neighboring Grimes County. You could be a DirecTV or Dish customer living at the base of their transmitter, and they (actually the FCC) would tell you that you are in the Houston DMA and not eligible to receive KBTX. I'm sorry to hear that Fox buys into this logic.

On the other hand, cable companies are allowed to offer OTA channels outside of their DMA. It's crazy.

Thanks again for the quick reply though.
post #6487 of 6504 Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply!
This DMA is bizarre. KBTX's transmitter is in neighboring Grimes County. You could be a DirecTV or Dish customer living at the base of their transmitter, and they (actually the FCC) would tell you that you are in the Houston DMA and not eligible to receive KBTX. I'm sorry to hear that Fox buys into this logic.
On the other hand, cable companies are allowed to offer OTA channels outside of their DMA. It's crazy.
Thanks again for the quick reply though.

Actually cable companies are not allowed to inport out of market TV stations unless they can show that the station is "Significantly viewed OTA" in their DMA.
post #6488 of 6504 Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM

I finally got DirecTV to send me an AM-21 OTA Tuner for free (they wanted to charge me $50 for the longest time). Anyway, I set it up and everything works fine except KAGS 23 does not show up as one of the available OTA choices. Is there a way to manually add OTA channels to the AM-21?
post #6489 of 6504 Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Nope. You get only the guide data that they transmit in the data stream. The AM21 doesn't run a true scan like most OTA tuners do. FWIW, Tivo and Boxee have the similar limitation.

At least you got them to send you a box. I couldn't find anyone there who even knew what it was so I finally just bought my own.
post #6490 of 6504 Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Nope. You get only the guide data that they transmit in the data stream. The AM21 doesn't run a true scan like most OTA tuners do. FWIW, Tivo and Boxee have the similar limitation.
At least you got them to send you a box. I couldn't find anyone there who even knew what it was so I finally just bought my own.

Thanks for the info. Maybe they'll add that channel to the data stream at some point in the future.

If anyone else is trying to get an AM-21, just use the argument that DirecTV doesn't really offer our true local channels (KBTX, KAGS, KYLE, etc.) in HD over the satellite. That explanation seemed to satisfy the rep I spoke with.
post #6491 of 6504 Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:

The AM21 will scan if it's connected to the HR34 DVR or the THR22(Tivo-based). If a scanned channel is not in the DirecTV database, however, it will only show "Regular programming" in the guide...
post #6492 of 6504 Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 AM

I wish I had read this thread earlier. I setup my AM21 last night. Not only can it not view KAGS 23 and KRHD 40, I noticed that it still includes KWBU 46, which ceased broadcasting in 2010. It seems to me that someone (DirecTV?) could make this right by simply updating a database.
post #6493 of 6504 Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I wish I had read this thread earlier. I setup my AM21 last night. Not only can it not view KAGS 23 and KRHD 40, I noticed that it still includes KWBU 46, which ceased broadcasting in 2010. It seems to me that someone (DirecTV?) could make this right by simply updating a database.

I agree completely. However, I emailed DirecTV about this issue and they said I should contact the local affiliate. I haven't had a chance to do that yet, but I will hopefully get around to it at some point.
post #6494 of 6504 Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM

DirecTV doesn't create the guide database or really have anything to do with it. They contract that out to Tribune Media Services. That's who you need to contact.

http://www.tribunemediaservices.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribune_Media_Services

If you can reach the engineer at the local station they may be able to help with getting things sorted out with Tribune Media.

DirecTV since 1999
Sony 34" HD KD34XBR970

Seiki 40"
Vulkano Flow
R22 DVR
HR20-700 HD DVR
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

post #6495 of 6504 Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Has anyone else along the northern Williamson-southern Bell County market boundary between Waco-Temple-Killeen and Austin experienced reception problems over the past couple of weeks besides me? I'm located in NE Williamson County near Circleville and generally have had good-to-excellent reception of most broadcast stations in both markets (except a few really low-power ones) both before and after the digital switchover in 2009. However, not long after the big winds of week before last, my reception for almost all stations became really poor and I thought it was just because the rooftop-level antenna orientation had been torqued around in the event. however, even after hastily readjusting to an eyeball-estimate of the proper azimuth and dogging the u-bolt nuts a bit tighter, it wasn't that much better and there was a lot of intermittent signal loss on even the strong stations from Austin, and most of those from Waco-Temple-Killeen weren't being received at all.

I readjusted the orientation again in the middle of last week after the winds finally died to an azimuth a lot more accurately with a compass for the previous setting (once I found that paperwork and checked TVfool.com for an update), but still had spotty reception on some of the Austin stations and most of the Waco-Temple-Killeen stations. This morning I discovered (happily) that everything across both markets was back and with a consistently strong signal for the most part. Since this coincided with the definite change in atmospheric conditions (bring on the rain!) and dissipation of the solar flare that erupted a week ago, I'm presuming those were the primary factors with the off-azimuth orientation not helping things.

The other discovery was the swap of 'thisTV' from 6.2 to 6.5 and its replacement 'coziTV', which looks like it will have some interesting old series and films.
post #6496 of 6504 Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post

The other discovery was the swap of 'thisTV' from 6.2 to 6.5 and its replacement 'coziTV', which looks like it will have some interesting old series and films.

Finally able to pickup these KCEN channels for the first time in a long time(albeit poorly...) I noticed the TV reports that 6.1(NBC) 6.2(MYTX) and 6.4(MundoFox) are being broadcast in 720p while 6.3(MeTV) and 6.5(ThisTV) are 480i. Can anyone confirm this? I never heard of a station broadcasting 3 HD channels at the same time...
post #6497 of 6504 Old 03-16-2013, 05:14 PM

Never heard of that. Cant imagine that any of them look good.
post #6498 of 6504 Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 AM

Has something happened to KXXV channels 25-1 & 25-3? I noticed this past week on Thursday or Friday that these OTA channels had disappeared from my TV. Nothing has changed on my end for equipment or antenna and I still receive all other locals via OTA with no problems. I have 2 HR24-500's with DTV using the AM21's to pipe in the OTA signals and the signal is gone from both machines. I did a rescan and now they have completely disappeared from the antenna setup so the signal is not even being received. Before anyone gives me a lecture about locals through DTV being as good as OTA, I prefer to receive the locals this way so that I do not lose the signals during storms. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #6499 of 6504 Old 08-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban11 View Post

Has something happened to KXXV channels 25-1 & 25-3? I noticed this past week on Thursday or Friday that these OTA channels had disappeared from my TV. Nothing has changed on my end for equipment or antenna and I still receive all other locals via OTA with no problems. I have 2 HR24-500's with DTV using the AM21's to pipe in the OTA signals and the signal is gone from both machines. I did a rescan and now they have completely disappeared from the antenna setup so the signal is not even being received. Before anyone gives me a lecture about locals through DTV being as good as OTA, I prefer to receive the locals this way so that I do not lose the signals during storms. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

They had some sort of major problem with their transmitter and were off OTA for a few days. They were still available on cable and DirecTV (but not Dish). They are back to normal operations now.

If you're in the Waco/Temple/Bryan market you were able to at least get channel 25 without a problem on DirecTV. I did.

From the www.kxxv.com website

We have fixed our major transmitter failure and KXXV-TV is back on the air
KXXV-TV is back on the air
Updated: Aug 13, 2013 4:02 PM CDT
Viewers using an antenna, Dish Network or on other cable systems will now be able to see us again.

Normal broadcasting has resumed.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

DirecTV since 1999
Sony 34" HD KD34XBR970

Seiki 40"
Vulkano Flow
R22 DVR
HR20-700 HD DVR
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

post #6500 of 6504 Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I guess the power output direction for all of the Waco stations have changed in the last 2 years. I was able to tune 25 and 46 until last week. Now, I can't get any with an attic mounted antenna in Southeast Round Rock.

Does anyone know for sure?

My Little Theater
post #6501 of 6504 Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I guess the power output direction for all of the Waco stations have changed in the last 2 years.

Seriously?

No, they haven't changed.

More likely, your local environment has changed. New construction, growing trees, receiving equipment degradation, new electrical devices causes interference, weather, and the like are the usual suspects.
post #6502 of 6504 Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seriously?

No, they haven't changed.

More likely, your local environment has changed. New construction, growing trees, receiving equipment degradation, new electrical devices causes interference, weather, and the like are the usual suspects.

Well that might explain it, however, I don't think the environment changes that quickly. (I.e. I could pick up channel 25 with no issues at any time of the day with a strong signal on September 27th -- and all days before), on the morning of the 28th, it was gone and hasn't come back). I'll check the antenna in the attic, but the chances of it moving are pretty slim since there is no wind and it is strapped down to the rafters.

My Little Theater
post #6503 of 6504 Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 AM

I was recently directed to this thread from the Roku forums.   I am currently subscribed to DTV, but am very much wanting to "cut the cord".   My first step would seem to be to put up an antenna, but am uncertain which one to get (and is the reason I am posting here).

I live in Bryan, near Messina Hoff.

I am looking at one of the 3 antennas at the bottom of the page at http://dennysantennaservice.com/digital_tv_antenna.html

My main goal is to be able to pick up the 4 major broadcast networks (knowing that ABC out of Waco is going to be the toughest).

Advice?

post #6504 of 6504 Old 11-22-2013, 01:50 PM

I don't know what the reception might be like -- best option for you (if you haven't already done so) is use one of the location-specific identification mechanisms available on several websites that use your physical address and some basic information about prospective antenna height to provide a listing of broadcast stations you're likely to receive based on intervening terrain and station power. You'll be able to utilize that information to determine just what type of antenna will work best in your particular situation, and if you're in a fringe area the azimuth for pointing the antenna to gain best reception for the weaker signals. Here are two which I've used before:

http://www.tvfool.com/

http://www.antennaweb.org/

There may be others which other forum users like better, but they're all working from the same FCC database and digital terrain mapping products -- the key aspect is to get your location specified as accurately as possible and the height or other characteristics of the antenna (e.g., mast-mounted at what height vs. attic, and presence of trees or other nearby obstructions).

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page