Erie, PA - HDTV - Page 110 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3271 of 3501 Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else here with Dish Network been noticing an audio problem with ABC HD? My antenna Feed and the SD feed are fine but the Dish HD feed has been screwy the past two weeks. The wife was trying to watch Cougar Town off the DVR last week and the audio was all messed up, figured it was just a one week thing, and then noticed last night it did it again. So I switched to "live" TV on ABC (a re-run of Castle) and it was doing it on there as well.

anyone else notice this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3501 Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Greetings fine folks of Erie, I have a question from down below in the Steel City...

My wife and I may be moving up your way next year, and we've always been kind of curious about Canadian television. We're not cable or satellite subscribers, strictly OTA here, and we'd likely continue that practice wherever we move. I've noticed while searching this thread that occasionally Canadian stations are mentioned.

How hard/easy is it to tune in Canadian channels from Erie, particularly when living relatively close to the lake? Does doing so require a highly directional and/or roof mounted antenna? Which stations can one typically watch? Do any of them include Canadian news programs?

Finally, and this might be moot because I know some Canadian stations have already started digital broadcasting, but...of the channels you manage to receive, do you expect any of them will become any more/less difficult to tune in after Canada completes their switchover next year?

Thanks much for your feedback, anecdotes, and advice.
post #3273 of 3501 Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A quick note/reply, since I'm very interested in the topic of Canadian TV.

There's only one digital station out of London right now, the Sun TV repeater (?). I don't think that makes it across the lake easily.

Everything else is analog right now, and I don't remember if London is one of the markets where digital conversion will be mandatory.

From a parking lot on Lake Erie near Geneva-on-the-Lake, OH, I've gotten (with a modest magmount whip antenna on my car roof) the CBC and CityTV (and I believe TV Ontario and CHCH/11's repeater) stations out of the London area. I've gotten that CityTV station (31/Woodstock ON) on the same setup driving in the Erie area, so with a decent antenna and lake facing, you should have no difficulty.

We'll see how that'll change whenever these stations go digital.

CBC, CityTV and CHCH all have news programming, IIRC, though only CBC would probably have a London-specific cast. So does A London (CFPL/10 analog), but I've only gotten that once due to my proximity, even on the lake, to WOIO/19's digital RF 10 signal in Cleveland.
post #3274 of 3501 Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Liked: 11
From wikipedia- "Erie's unique position along the shores of Lake Erie can offer a wide variety of over-the-air television stations. Canada's CityTV (from its Woodstock, Ontario transmitter CITY-TV-2), A (via CFPL-TV) and CBC Television (via CBLT-TV's repeater, CBLN) from London, Ontario can be viewed in portions of downtown Erie and areas north of Interstate 90. Additionally, select areas of the Erie region can receive broadcast channels from Buffalo, N.Y., Cleveland, Ohio, and Pittsburgh, Pa. The region itself, however, is served by five major television stations based in Erie, Designated Market Area No. 142 as defined by Nielsen Media Research."
post #3275 of 3501 Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM

I built the youtube antenna last year out of curiosity and was able, on certain days, to receive 11.1, 5.1, 15.1 digital out of Canada. I was also able to view 9,10,13,31 analog. This year, on the days that I took the antenna outside to experiment, I haven't been as successful. I'm not sure if something changed at their end or if there is some other variable involved.
post #3276 of 3501 Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Was in Fairport Harbor, OH recently, and all the London-area analog stations were blowing in. CHCH's repeater almost looked local!

Fairport Harbor is in the far eastern reaches of the Cleveland area, next to Mentor-on-the-Lake. I was parked two blocks from the lake, since the lakefront park was charging for parking.

YMMV in the Erie area, though I suspect from personal experience that the Wikipedia quote is fairly accurate. North of I-90 with a decent antenna, you should get the Canadian analogs daily.
post #3277 of 3501 Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 AM

did ABC (104.1) moved? its not coming in
post #3278 of 3501 Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacubs View Post

did ABC (104.1) moved? its not coming in

I just checked, and in Millcreek it's still 104.1.
post #3279 of 3501 Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Drove by my usual spot at Geneva-on-the-Lake, and wasn't getting ANYTHING. I wonder if my earlier reception was atmosphere-driven. This time, I was a bit later...it was nearly dark.

Still, the London-area stations should be a reasonably easy catch with a decent antenna north of I-90 in the Erie area.
post #3280 of 3501 Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Anybody notice the "Volume Leveling" on CW WBEP. Is it only OTA?

Haven't tried the analog signals here in a while...Just trying to keep the locals up. I live on the lake with a treelined hill to the south and a sheer cliff half a mile to the north; the canadians are blocked, and the locals fly harmlessly over-head (in a digital sort of manner).
post #3281 of 3501 Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Does anyone know if any of the Erie stations is supplying TVGOS data for OTA?
post #3282 of 3501 Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 AM

TWC losing ESPN/ABC?? So I keep hearing those ads on the radio saying that ESPN/ABC/Disney's deal with TWC is set to expire Sept 1st (I assume all 3 even though the commercials are about ESPN) and how it doesn't look like a deal will be reached so you should look in to "other" broadcast options.

So how late on Aug 31st do you think they'll get before reaching a deal? or does anyone think TWC would actually risk losing ESPN right before the start of the NFL season??
post #3283 of 3501 Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Took my mobile viewing setup to a park on the lake in Lake City, PA, just inside the PA line on Route 5:

10 - CFPL/London - A (No picture, stopped scan)
18 - CICO-TV-18/London - TV Ontario
23 - WNLO-DT/Buffalo
24 - WJET-DT/Erie
29 - CIII-TV-29/Sarnia - Global (weak)
31 - CITY-TV-2/Woodstock
35 - WSEE-DT/Erie 35-2 WBEP
36 - (No picture, perhaps CITS/Burlington?)
40 - CBLN/CBC London (strong)
42 - CKCO-TV-2/Oil Springs - CTV (a little weaker)
51 - CHCH-TV 2/London
53 - CBLFT-9/London - Radio-Canada (strong)
54 - WQLN-DT/Erie and subs
55 - CIII-TV-55/Ft. Erie - Global (weak)
56 - Radio-Canada (weak, can't find this one online)
59 - CICO-TV 59/Chatham - TV Ontario (moderate/viewable)
66 - WFXP-DT/Erie
69 - CFMT-TV-1/London - Omni.1 (strong)
post #3284 of 3501 Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post

TWC losing ESPN/ABC?? So I keep hearing those ads on the radio saying that ESPN/ABC/Disney's deal with TWC is set to expire Sept 1st (I assume all 3 even though the commercials are about ESPN)

ABC is only affected if the ABC affiliate is a network O&O, which it isn't anywhere near Erie. The closest O&O is probably WTVG/13 Toledo.
post #3285 of 3501 Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

ABC is only affected if the ABC affiliate is a network O&O, which it isn't anywhere near Erie. The closest O&O is probably WTVG/13 Toledo.

ahh I see, I know the commercials have really been focusing on ESPN, and I knew that ESPN, ABC, Disney are all under the same ownership. Is Disney affected as well???

I thought I heard Disney mentioned at least once but now I can't really remember.
post #3286 of 3501 Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51-SN95 View Post

ahh I see, I know the commercials have really been focusing on ESPN, and I knew that ESPN, ABC, Disney are all under the same ownership. Is Disney affected as well???

I thought I heard Disney mentioned at least once but now I can't really remember.

Yeah, IIRC, all of the Disney owned stations/networks are involved, including the Disney Channel and its various spinoffs, ESPN and all of its networks, ABC Family and anything owned by the mouse.

The broadcast ABC affiliates locally are not affected, since they are owned by a different company. i.e. Nexstar owns WJET/24, not ABC...Scripps owns WEWS/5 down here, etc.
post #3287 of 3501 Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

any chance the cleveland local channels are showing back up like they use to about a year ago...

So I can watch the Crappy Browns this year..when they are not on local channels
post #3288 of 3501 Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriemarty View Post

any chance the cleveland local channels are showing back up like they use to about a year ago...

So i can watch the crappy browns this year..when they are not on local channels

it on sto channel 1308 hd tape delay 12 am to 3am
post #3289 of 3501 Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Just got this E-mail from TWC

Quote:

To Our Valued Customers...

At Time Warner Cable, we're currently negotiating new contracts with Disney - the owner of ABC, ESPN and the Disney cable channels.

While we've been working hard to reach an agreement, Disney has been threatening a blackout - and telling Time Warner Cable customers to switch TV service providers.

But the fact is, only Disney can take their channels away from you - and this year alone, they've already pulled-the-plug on Cablevision and the DISH Network.

So if you're thinking about changing to another satellite, phone or cable company, it won't protect you from blackout threats - by Disney or any TV network.

Whether you're a sports fan, a family with children, or someone who likes all different kinds of programs, Time Warner Cable is determined to keep your shows on the air - tell Disney you'd like the same commitment from them.

Please visit our website RollOverOrGetTough.com to learn more - and thanks for being a Time Warner Cable customer.

I have Dishnetwork and I don't remember losing Disney channels or ESPN at all.
post #3290 of 3501 Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken164 View Post

it on sto channel 1308 hd tape delay 12 am to 3am

thanks I didn't know they were on that late at night..think they would have shown them the following morning or after the indians game.

but I was really interested in Channel 3 for the regular season games and at one time we could pick the local cleveland channels up on the QAM Side ..

Since I assume channel 35 will be showing more Steeler games then Browns games during the year..
post #3291 of 3501 Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM

anyone with DTV did you get the locals yet? DIRECTV

@lacubs Those are scheduled for later this month, the date is being finalized.
post #3292 of 3501 Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 AM

There was a honking band opening Tuesday night towards Erie (I live about 80 miles southwest of Erie). I actually received WSEE for a short while-that seldom ever happens. WQLN is a lost cause because there's a station on RF-50 in Akron, OH, which is about 40 miles to my southwest.
post #3293 of 3501 Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Did TWC work out their deal with ESPN/Disney? wasn't that supposed to happen yesterday??
post #3294 of 3501 Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Basically, Disney is letting TWC broadcast their networks without a deal, but are still at the table negotiating. College football on ESPN tonight might have something to do with it.
post #3295 of 3501 Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8MO View Post

There was a honking band opening Tuesday night towards Erie (I live about 80 miles southwest of Erie). I actually received WSEE for a short while-that seldom ever happens. WQLN is a lost cause because there's a station on RF-50 in Akron, OH, which is about 40 miles to my southwest.

I've received several out of town stations on occasion and was wondering how much the reception has to do with "band openings" and how much can be attributed to the antenna itself. Any insight?

Thanks!
post #3296 of 3501 Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Liked: 13
New HD Channel on Time Warner Cable today ESPN Goal Line the only downside is it is a subscription based channel.
Quote:

ESPN and Time Warner Cable Launch New College Football Live Cut-In and Highlights Channel – ESPN Goal Line

On September 4, ESPN will launch ESPN Goal Line, a new HD network available at launch to Time Warner Cable Sports Tier and Bright House Networks subscribers. ESPN Goal Line features unlimited live cut-ins and highlights from numerous top college football games during each Saturday of the college football season, plus up-to-the-minute commentary from ESPN analysts and experts, including ESPNEWS anchor Anish Shroff, who will serve as the primary host, and Rod Gilmore, who will be the main analyst. Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks customers will be the first to have access to ESPN Goal Line.

Games featured on ESPN Goal Line will include those airing on ESPN’s family of networks, as well as syndicated and locally-produced games from Football Bowl Subdivision conferences, capturing the best live action of the day.

For the 2010 season, the ESPN Goal Line programming will be weekends only, starting Saturdays at Noon ET until games are complete, around 11:30 pm ET. A similar service called Buzzer Beater is planned in time for college basketball season.

Time Warner Cable North East Ohio
SA 4250 HDC
Let's Go Bucs!
post #3297 of 3501 Old 09-05-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavest View Post

I've received several out of town stations on occasion and was wondering how much the reception has to do with "band openings" and how much can be attributed to the antenna itself. Any insight?

Thanks!

I've got a rather large VHF/UHF antenna on the roof. It's the largest one that Radio Shack sold about 5 years ago. It's got 2 VHF elements for each channel, and it has at least 20 UHF elements. Terrain is also not much of a factor to my northeast towards Erie. I also have a pre-amp. It helps on UHF, but it really doesn't make any difference on VHF.

In the days of analog, I was able to receive WICU and WJET on a regular basis. In the digial era, I can get WICU, WJET, and WFXP most of the time. It is a little spotty in the summertime though. The lack of leaves actually improves reception enough that I can get these channels pretty much continuously during the winter months. WSEE analog was marginal most of the time. Their lower profile digital station makes it impossible to get anything outside of an occasional blip on the S-meter most of the time. They requested a stripped down version CP for their digital facilities back in 2005 because of financial problems. I hope that one day they will increase their digital profile to match their former analog signal. That would guarantee reception on my end at least some of the time
post #3298 of 3501 Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM

I moved to Erie a few weeks ago, and I'm sort of bummed about not being able to get WSEE in HD (especially as the NFL season is just around the corner). I do get WSEE in SD as 12.3, as well as every other major network station's HD broadcast at full or near-full strength.

I live near Mercyhurst, with (I believe) some tall trees and hills to the southeast which could be getting in the way of the signal. I have built a cheap antenna ( uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com ) which I face out of a second story window toward the southeast. I'm willing to get a bit more creative if it would help, build or purchase other antennas, however I live in a rental townhouse unit, so I am a bit limited in how I can mount things outside, etc. And I don't watch enough TV to warrant the price of getting cable/satellite. (Or does anyone know of any ultra-cheap local-stations-only cable package or something like that?)

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!
post #3299 of 3501 Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM

AdamK4, give Time Warner Cable a call and ask about their "Lifeline" service, and if there are any promos for new customers. We got this service last year for my brother-in-law for $10/month. Also, Best Buy has several antennas you can put in your window. Some work better with a few stations, and others work better with other stations. You can try them to see if they solve your problem, and return them for a refund if they don't.
post #3300 of 3501 Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Don't know if this had been posted or not, but you can now get NFL Sunday Ticket with out having DirecTV. Of course it's for On-Line feeds. Basically it was done for people who live in apartments and can't have a Dish put in. $350 per year

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-264529

Quote:

NFL Sunday Ticket to be available on internet, sans DirecTV
By MJD

Good news for those of you who don't have DirecTV, but still want the NFL's Sunday Ticket package. You'll be able to get it this season over the internet, streaming any game you want, live in HD (maybe).
Now, you may be concerned that you won't be getting the full DirecTV experience, but don't worry about that. You'll still get the $350 price gouge.
Via The Score at the New York Daily News:
Company spokesperson Jon T. Gieselman tells The Score that DirecTV will soon announce a new package that will make its all-access NFL coverage available to anyone "with the right broadband connection or mobile phone."
"For the small number of people that can't get DirecTV service, we did want to provide an option for them to experience Sunday Ticket," says Gieselman.
You don't need to be a DirecTV subscriber to watch the games. You just need access to the internet (the service was tested in Manhattan last year, but will now be available nationwide.
[...]
"We will make a full 720p HD resolution stream available online, but most viewers won't be able to experience the service at that resolution," Gieselman said. The picture quality will depend on your internet connection.
Alright, so it's a mixed bag. At least they're trying. If it's anything like the $40 online preseason package the NFL is offering (and yes, I purchased it, because I'm a weak man without any sort of integrity), then it's true: the picture quality will be watchable, but short of what it should be.
Why this is, I don't know. MLB.tv, the gold standard in sports packages available online, manages to provide a fantastic picture, and that a similar NFL service wouldn't be able to duplicate that seems odd. Maybe one day they'll get there.
But that this package exists at all is a significant step in a fan-friendly direction, so I'll take it.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page