Erie, PA - HDTV - Page 117 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3481 of 3501 Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone here been able to find CBS channel 35's clear QAM signal on the basic cable. Used to be 35-1. Either moved or eliminated by TWC. Trying a scan right now, will update if I find it.

edit:
Found it, 115-1

Now it's back to 35-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3501 Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any of your channels in HD there? I picked up the News on WFXP, & programming on WJET (finally) didn't seem like an HD signal though didn't note if it was 480i signal.

Edit Per Wiki I see 35 & 12 are in HD along with WJET, musta been watching SD programming at the time.
post #3483 of 3501 Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 AM

A lot of WJET and Fox66 are still SD on Clear QAM. Especially old shows. The network feeds are usually in HD.
post #3484 of 3501 Old 10-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Liked: 10

Hi,

I live in Harborcreek, near the lake, and was wondering what a good antenna would be for getting the Erie stations that are broadcast from up near peach street (according to antennaweb.org I should just need a "small multidirectional antenna"). I am hoping an indoor or attic mounted antenna will work. What do people in Erie use? Anyone in Harborcreek with good results?

Thanks!

post #3485 of 3501 Old 10-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Go to Best Buy and pick up a couple of their better antennas. Try them in different locations to see what kind of reception you get and how many channels. If they don't work, you can return them. We went through a similar drill for my brother-in-law several years ago in western Millcreek.
post #3486 of 3501 Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 AM

I ended up going to radio shack and asking them which antenna's got returned the least. I also went to walmart and tried an RCA flat antenna and a Clearstream 2 antenna. Out of all of them the Radio Shack one "RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna" worked the best, it was also the cheapest. I was really surprised I get about 13 channels including some from Canada. The flat antenna from RCA worked 2nd best, and I could only get 2 channels on the Clearstream even though it was by far the most expensive of the antenna.

I couldn't get WICU/NBC (12.1) with any of the antenna's which I think is kind of weird considering I get WSEE and they appear to be from the same direction and same distance away.

iirc these are the channels I was able to get (6.1, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3,9.4,24.1,35.1,35.2,50.1,50.2,50.3,66.1) A couple of them don't come in all the time like the station from Canada and a station called Bounce, but I get ABC/CBS/Fox/CW so I am really happy this worked out.

I bought 2 hdhomerun's from amazon and hooked them up to my wireless network and I put Window's 8 with Media Center on an old laptop and am using that as a DVR and a program called PLEX to stream the recorded content to Roku's on the other TV's. I was really afraid it wasn't going to work out but so far everything looks to be working!

Now I just have to return all my cable boxes and sell my hdhomerun prime.

post #3487 of 3501 Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 AM

Glad you found a way to cut the cord. We needed two antennas to get my brother-in-law going, he was in an apartment where we needed to use two different windows to cover the directions. If you ever find a way to get WICU/NBC, stop back and post.
post #3488 of 3501 Old 10-17-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm2 View Post

I ended up going to radio shack and asking them which antenna's got returned the least. I also went to walmart and tried an RCA flat antenna and a Clearstream 2 antenna. Out of all of them the Radio Shack one "RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna" worked the best, it was also the cheapest. I was really surprised I get about 13 channels including some from Canada. The flat antenna from RCA worked 2nd best, and I could only get 2 channels on the Clearstream even though it was by far the most expensive of the antenna.

I couldn't get WICU/NBC (12.1) with any of the antenna's which I think is kind of weird considering I get WSEE and they appear to be from the same direction and same distance away.

iirc these are the channels I was able to get (6.1, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3,9.4,24.1,35.1,35.2,50.1,50.2,50.3,66.1) A couple of them don't come in all the time like the station from Canada and a station called Bounce, but I get ABC/CBS/Fox/CW so I am really happy this worked out.

Since the digital era we find that upper VHF is NOT prime real-estate, especially with the Low Power WICU throws, that was the strongest station in Erie in the analog era. If I get a 12 here it's WMFD (Virtual 68 .1 & .2). Is this antenna capable of VHF & what is the RS model #?
I have issues here with WOIO & WJW that desired to stay on VHF after the switch.

Bounce should just be a sub.
post #3489 of 3501 Old 10-17-2013, 05:27 PM

I will get the model number off the box tomorrow or this weekend, unfortunately I am not able to get it at the moment. The antenna is capable of getting VHF it has a UHF loop and 2 telescoping rabbit ears for VHF, that being said however, I have not messed with them to try and get any vhf channels. The antenna is supposed to be omni-directional iirc but I have to situate it pointing in one pretty specific direction to get any decent signals.

post #3490 of 3501 Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

Go to Best Buy and pick up a couple of their better antennas. Try them in different locations to see what kind of reception you get and how many channels. If they don't work, you can return them. We went through a similar drill for my brother-in-law several years ago in western Millcreek.

I've always gone this route in experimenting, I'm in a condo (fortunately) with an outdoor antenna that hadn't been removed in the reroof, nor has the Cable Company disabled the wiring to it. I run a second large 120 mile VHF/UHF Yagi in the attic that has seen better days for my upstairs sets, my thoughts have been to replace it with something smaller & movable, though always ended up returning the indoor antennas as I only get 2 or 3 Stations out of Cleveland optimum on them. I was going to try a Grey- Hoverman that I would also be able to swing toward Erie or Toledo if needed.

Edit.... Then again if you have aluminum siding that also could pose an issue too.
post #3491 of 3501 Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
What was the model number of that Radio Shack antenna?

A ClearStream 2V aimed to the southwest should have been a slam dunk unless you did something wrong or have a weird location.

I've tested the flat RCA vs a C2V extensively and the C2v is a superior antenna when aimed properly. However, if you're indoors, the less directional characteristics of the flat panel sometimes works out due to the randomness of indoor signals.
post #3492 of 3501 Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

The Clearstreams are the better antennas at Best Buy, but usually cheaper online. Perhaps they may price match Amazon if cheaper.
post #3493 of 3501 Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Trying to cut the cord on high priced tv. Our neighbor out here in the woods in North Springfield said he had an antenna & when it turned into digital his antenna stopped working. We wanted to try getting an antenna but he said don't waist your money it will not work. Does anybody know what kind of antenna will work ?.

post #3494 of 3501 Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 AM

post #3495 of 3501 Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM

I know some of us still look at this thread every now and then.

WJET and Fox 66 finally started their broadcast in HD.

I will never watch WICU again.

Time Warner Cable North East Ohio
SA 4250 HDC
Let's Go Bucs!
post #3496 of 3501 Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 AM

This is the information on the Antenna I have. I bought it from Radioshack.

Radioshack Amplified HDTV Antenna

Cat. No: 1500254

Neither the antenna or the box it came have any other model information.

If you search on Radio Shacks website for 1500254 you will find it.

I can't guarantee it will work the best for anyone else but of the 3 antenna I tried, it worked the best for me. It is powered and I need to turn the amplifier all the way up.

Hope this helps someone else.

post #3497 of 3501 Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 AM

Is anyone with TWC in Millcreek that has a Samsung box having trouble changing channels? Often when I change channels the station I switch to will be a black screen with no sound. If I shut everything off and turn it back on the station comes in. This is intermittent, so tech support is no help. I have a second SA box that is working fine. Any input would be appreciated.
post #3498 of 3501 Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm2 View Post

This is the information on the Antenna I have. I bought it from Radioshack.

Radioshack Amplified HDTV Antenna
Cat. No: 1500254

Neither the antenna or the box it came have any other model information.
If you search on Radio Shacks website for 1500254 you will find it.

I can't guarantee it will work the best for anyone else but of the 3 antenna I tried, it worked the best for me. It is powered and I need to turn the amplifier all the way up.

Hope this helps someone else.

Interesting this model was hyperlinked to E-Pay link & it came up as just the supply (don't ya just hate when the PC & websites try to do your thinking for ya?)! frown.gif

TWC carries the Erie DMA Stations as far west as Madison OH, although all of Ashtabula County is considered being in the Cleveland DMA (although only about 20 miles from the state line to your transmitters, but around 65-70 to the Cleveland farm... go figure. I personally don't have cable but from my area the ridge plays havoc at times with the Cleveland Farm.

Edit: Ashtabula County Ohio is in the Cleveland DMA, not the Erie DMA as I posted... ooops (a typo on my end, I knew the answer, just wrote it wrong).
post #3499 of 3501 Old 12-25-2013, 02:06 PM

anyone know why 66 HD is down?
post #3500 of 3501 Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New QAM channel assignments

On the off chance anyone still follows this thread, Time Warner recently moved all the QAM channels assignments for the locals. The following list shows both the virtual and actual channel assignments.
WJETDT: virtual 24.1 actual 71.3
WSEEDT: virtual 35.1 actual 74.1
WICUDT: virtual 12.1 actual 74.2
WQLNDT: virtual 54.1 actual 77.1
WQLNDT2: virtual 54.2 actual 77.2
WQLNDT3: virtual 54.3 actual 77.3
WFXPDT: virtual 66.1 actual 77.4
Anyone running Windows Media Center will understand why I posted both. Time Warner as a rule sends incorrect PSID information resulting in the wrong frequencies being assigned to the virtual channels. One example of this is both WSEEDT and WICUDT getting the wrong info and being assigned 77.1 (WQLNDT frequency) for the former and 77.4 (WFXPDT frequency) for the latter. I don't know if other equipment is affected but I suspect yes depending on the age and maker of said products (run of the mill QAM capable TV for example).
All this may be academic come August since Time Warner is supposed to completely overhaul the lineup and move to a new national lineup which also includes encrypting all over the air local network channels with some exceptions being made for public access channels. The only way to get around this is with the use of a cablecard device or getting a DTA (Digital Tuning Adapter) from Time Warner, the DTA is free for now http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...-adapters.html but at some point in the future there will be a "minimal" fee for each and every device after that point. I wish I could be a little more precise on the date in question but some of the information varies from one division to another.
post #3501 of 3501 Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfam View Post
On the off chance anyone still follows this thread, Time Warner recently moved all the QAM channels assignments for the locals. The following list shows both the virtual and actual channel assignments.
WJETDT: virtual 24.1 actual 71.3
WSEEDT: virtual 35.1 actual 74.1
WICUDT: virtual 12.1 actual 74.2
WQLNDT: virtual 54.1 actual 77.1
WQLNDT2: virtual 54.2 actual 77.2
WQLNDT3: virtual 54.3 actual 77.3
WFXPDT: virtual 66.1 actual 77.4
Anyone running Windows Media Center will understand why I posted both. Time Warner as a rule sends incorrect PSID information resulting in the wrong frequencies being assigned to the virtual channels. One example of this is both WSEEDT and WICUDT getting the wrong info and being assigned 77.1 (WQLNDT frequency) for the former and 77.4 (WFXPDT frequency) for the latter. I don't know if other equipment is affected but I suspect yes depending on the age and maker of said products (run of the mill QAM capable TV for example).
All this may be academic come August since Time Warner is supposed to completely overhaul the lineup and move to a new national lineup which also includes encrypting all over the air local network channels with some exceptions being made for public access channels. The only way to get around this is with the use of a cablecard device or getting a DTA (Digital Tuning Adapter) from Time Warner, the DTA is free for now http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...-adapters.html but at some point in the future there will be a "minimal" fee for each and every device after that point. I wish I could be a little more precise on the date in question but some of the information varies from one division to another.
I still follow this thread, but it sure is quiet. I didn't realize TW was making all those changes so soon. They did their usual bad job of not notifying customers about the latest QAM changes. Who knows what will happen when Charter (Comcast) takes over soon.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page