Erie, PA - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3501 Old 09-17-2005, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently emailed WJET's head engineer Lorne Earl - HDTV pass-through programming for WJET & FOX is scheduled for Summer 2006. Lorne said that local programming will never be in HD probably, but that is fine with me... I just want to see the network programs that are in HD!

-- Tom --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3501 Old 09-18-2005, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't know why WFXP can't do it NOW. Isn't the "Fox splicer" pretty automatic, with little interference from the local station? Or don't they have the splicer at WFXP? I thought all Fox affiliates had 'em.
post #93 of 3501 Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 AM
Hov

Thanks for the info/update. That's great news, even just the prime-time pass-through programming is what we're mostly waiting for. I sure hope they stick to the summer-2006 goal.

-Howard
post #94 of 3501 Old 09-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Like I said in my previous post, I am able to pick up digital signal for the Cleveland/Akron counterparts to our Erie channels. ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and Fox. High defintion NFL, Conan O'Brian, crisp DVD quality digital signals for The Simpsons, Family Guy, Prison Break, Lost, etc etc. I am plugged into the Time Warner cable line w/ no separate antenna. My Hitachi 50VS810 is showing Fox as 8-1, CBS as 19-1, ABC as 5-1, and NBC as 80-1. (Although I may have those last 2 swapped, can't remember.)

Is Time Warner delivering this signal or is the cable line acting as an antenna and picking up the signal OTA?
post #95 of 3501 Old 09-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Hov

I've never heard of that, but if it's true, you're pretty lucky that it works.

Using the Time Warner coax infrastructure as an OTA antenna... hmmm...

I just had my cable switched for DISH, but wonder if anyone else has tried this.
Maybe I'll still try when I get home...

-H
post #96 of 3501 Old 09-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjennings View Post

I recently emailed WJET's head engineer Lorne Earl - HDTV pass-through programming for WJET & FOX is scheduled for Summer 2006. Lorne said that local programming will never be in HD probably, but that is fine with me... I just want to see the network programs that are in HD!

Woot, woot. Something to finally look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hov View Post

I've never heard of that, but if it's true, you're pretty lucky that it works.
-H

It's around this forum, it's generally called 'picking up unencrypted channels via QAM (build in tuner)'. My Samsung was suppose to do this, but I never got my firmware upgraded. I don't believe Adelphia does this, but I'll give it one more shot. JimBolla, you're one lucky SOB!
post #97 of 3501 Old 09-19-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post

It's around this forum, it's generally called 'picking up unencrypted channels via QAM (build in tuner)'.

So its part of the cable feed then. Seems plausible since Time Warner also services NE Ohio.
post #98 of 3501 Old 09-19-2005, 05:35 PM

A co-worker spoke with the GM of WSEE / WICU last Friday and their pass-through HDTV is in the works also, guess they recently got approval for it. Apparently there is some antenna work involved so he said they are probably going to wait for Spring to start it, but that they would be all set by the fall 2006 season. YAHOOO! Looks like 2006 is going to be THE year for us here in Erie! :-)

-- Tom --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 3501 Old 09-24-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just spoke to WQLN this week. Because PBS is going to start charging 5 figures to them for carrying the PBSHD channel, they will be dropping it and just rebroadcating the analog except for a few HD programs as they come by. If you think this sucks as much as I, call Tom New at WQLN. This is supposed to start Oct 1st.
post #100 of 3501 Old 09-24-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I also would like to know what is anyone using to get Cleveland HD stations or buffalo. I can sometimes get Cleveland but very rare.
post #101 of 3501 Old 09-26-2005, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtirak View Post

Just spoke to WQLN this week. Because PBS is going to start charging 5 figures to them for carrying the PBSHD channel, they will be dropping it and just rebroadcating the analog except for a few HD programs as they come by. If you think this sucks as much as I, call Tom New at WQLN. This is supposed to start Oct 1st.

That stinks. Looks like they're going to need to sell a few more things come TV auction time.

Regarding WSEE's HD pass through. I wouldn't get my hopes up about them. They haven't put up their digital signal yet. All other local stations have a digital signal working.
post #102 of 3501 Old 09-27-2005, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I checked all the talk about WSEE and WICU going HD next year is jsut talk. Here is a respose I got from WSEE's chief engineer.

Short answer: no.

Dan Nungesser

Chief Engineer

WSEE TV

1220 Peach St

Erie, PA 16501

Tel: 814-455-7575 ext 306 Cell: 814-449-1324 Fax: 814-454-2564
post #103 of 3501 Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You guys are going to have to get on the stick and hit the newspapers if you want HD anytime soon in Erie. I have done what I can but I need numbers to make an impact. Talking to yourself isn't going to give you the SUPERBOWL in HD for CIS. Of course you can do what I did and get DISH with VOOM so Ihave 15 channels of HD to pick from. I guess I might try to put up a bigger antenna to get Cleveland but I am not going to invest a small forturne to do it.
post #104 of 3501 Old 09-27-2005, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

I don't know why WFXP can't do it NOW. Isn't the "Fox splicer" pretty automatic, with little interference from the local station? Or don't they have the splicer at WFXP? I thought all Fox affiliates had 'em.

You are correct in what you say. the Splicer is privide free to the stations by Fox. all the station as to have is a digital path to the transmiter. For Erie to do that would be around 50 or 60 thousand. Really nothing compared to their normal maintenance. The real issue is NEXSTAR, the owners. They have a policy in place that none of the their stations will go HD. Not even the large stations such as WROC in Rochester. In short, it is not money...it is committment.
post #105 of 3501 Old 09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtirak View Post

You are correct in what you say. the Splicer is privide free to the stations by Fox. all the station as to have is a digital path to the transmiter. For Erie to do that would be around 50 or 60 thousand. Really nothing compared to their normal maintenance. The real issue is NEXSTAR, the owners. They have a policy in place that none of the their stations will go HD. Not even the large stations such as WROC in Rochester. In short, it is not money...it is committment.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd be surprised if the Rochester station didn't pass through network HDTV. I know people up there would be screaming about it if they did not. I will check the Rochester thread, and ask a friend of mine who lives in that market...

At some point, I'd wonder if Fox would not exert some pressure upon WFXP to get that digital path going.

It turns out that if you want OTA HDTV in Erie, you either have to erect a huge antenna or move. Frankly, considering the area's economic conditions, it's probably a better idea to leave town.
post #106 of 3501 Old 09-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Hov

According to CheckHD.com and TitanTV, Rochester NY does get primetime HD programs. I would guess they at least pass-through then. Can't really be a Nextar policy unless it's a supply-demand issue like Jack says. Our stations are not obligated to upgrade and if the citizens don't care/want, then they have no reason to invest no matter how much it costs...

From what I've found, most people think that digital and HDTV are the same thing which makes it hard to talk about. Even the people that sell HDTVs honestly believe that Erie is a great place for it.

Here is a pretty good list that I came across that attempts to list all the major cities and their HD status:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=422073&page=1

Poor Erie, very sad...
post #107 of 3501 Old 09-28-2005, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You didn't check the Rochester thread well. I have two kids who live in Rochester and WROC does not carry network HD. That is NBC. Most of the other Rochester stations do. Ir is a NEXSTAR policy as I have personally spoken to the NEXSTAR President Perry White and also the Erie GM. Trust me. They aren't going until all the stations have been clearned to go.
post #108 of 3501 Old 10-03-2005, 01:08 PM

I just got off of the phone with Tom New from WQLN. We had a discussion about the removal of the HD PBS feed from WQLN. Tom is interested to talk to anyone locally who has an interest in the HD feed, please give him a call if you would like to see the HD feed return.

George
post #109 of 3501 Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I spoke to Tom in person about it. but it will take numbers and a few letters to the editor to let the stations and newspaper know that there is an interest in HDTV in Erie. Thanks WAVEST for your effort ....now if the rest of you guys will get off your a** and do something, we might have HD in Erie, but it will be a fight.
post #110 of 3501 Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Correctlon. WROC , a Nexstar station in Rochester is CBS and not NBC.
post #111 of 3501 Old 10-03-2005, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Why did WQLN REMOVE the HD feed?
post #112 of 3501 Old 10-04-2005, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Other threads have been discussing PBS decision regarding HD, see

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6204926
post #113 of 3501 Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

George...thansk. I did see that and it goes along what is going on here in Erie. Howver, you may have other local network HD choices....Erie doesn't.
post #114 of 3501 Old 10-13-2005, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just had lunch today witha top executive today from WJET TV and FOX66. He confirmed that both stations will go HD next year. Not sure of date yet, but personally, I would not expect until 3rd quarter. Don't know yet about WICU and WSEE is a definete "NO."
post #115 of 3501 Old 10-13-2005, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the updates, George and jtirak.

The link George provided, with the letter from the Ft. Wayne PBS affiliate, explains it all. Apparently, PBS is starting to charge stations for the PBS-HD feed, which has gone down in quality (more repeated programs) recently due to various HD rights issues.

Here in Northeast Ohio, both of our PBS affiliates are still running PBS-HD 24/7. But Cleveland is a much larger market than Ft. Wayne or Erie, and even the Akron-area based PBS affiliate is usually in good financial shape.

jtirak - glad to hear they're getting on the ball eventually, but this is ridiculous. It makes Erie look like a backwater area.
post #116 of 3501 Old 10-18-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

jtirak - glad to hear they're getting on the ball eventually, but this is ridiculous. It makes Erie look like a backwater area.

I could have not said it better myself. Erie and the Erie media should be ashamed have how far they have fallen. It is up to the viewers to demand HD, but judging from the responses here to my requests to contac the newspaper or write letters to the editor. They lErie viewers are getting what they demand. Little.
post #117 of 3501 Old 10-26-2005, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I called Ed Uptone at WQLN ( chief engineer) when I noticed that Nature at 8pm Sunday was not in wide screen HD. Someone forgot to throw the switch. He said because of my call, he posted a notice that the log was faithfully to be followed and the switch thrown the network was sending down a HD or Widescreen feed. He apologied. It was a lot easier when they were all PBS HD. Nobody had to do anything. Oh well. The price!
post #118 of 3501 Old 10-28-2005, 04:28 AM

Hi all. My 1st post here . I just picked up a Sony 42" A10 and watched it last nite. WOW! I have Adelphia digital and the 4 HD channels are spectacular. The SD channels are not too bad.........better than expected. A cable guy lives down the road(North East) and says when Time/Warner takes over shortly, many HD channels will be added. He predicts around March.......maybe sooner. As far as my setup, I upgraded to the Panasonic surround/dvd/vhs(over the Samsung) at CC. Having issues trying to get the surround to work on the higher channels. Must be the HD digital box hookup, but will find out, as the tv itself has only fair sound. Amazing how hard CC tries to push warranties, surge protectors, jumpers, etc.!
post #119 of 3501 Old 10-28-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post

Amazing how hard CC tries to push warranties, surge protectors, jumpers, etc.!

So does BB. I have DISH with 15 HD channels. U gave seen adelphia HD and was very unimpressed. Hopefully Time-Warner will do some upgrade. I am really waiting for Verizon FIOS but was told that could be as much as 10 years away for our area.
post #120 of 3501 Old 10-29-2005, 04:56 AM

Can you tell me why you did not like it(adelphia)? Was it the lack of channels or the PQ? Who installed DISH for you? I would like to see how well it works before I subscribe. Is there a big delay when changing channels like the old dishes? Do you get WICU,WJET,WSEE and FOX(local)? I would like to keep my cable for the net, but would like to check on DISH for TV, without breaking the bank.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page