Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 11 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Fargo, ND - HDTV

Local HDTV Info and Reception

grovers50's Avatar grovers50
10:14 AM Liked: 10
post #301 of 2014
11-05-2005 | Posts: 22
I called CableOne the other day to try and get an answer on why Mid Continent can offer substantially more channels on their digital and HD packages. I got some answer about equipment costing money which I didn't buy because I'd think CableOne would have quite a bit deeper pockets than MidCo. I was using GF as my comparison and was told at one point that I should "move to Grand Forks". This call was the worst customer service I've ever experiences over the phone.

Some of the info I got that would be considered somewhat useful is that CableOne will be adding 3 HD channels "next year". I questioned what next year meant being it could be 2 to 14 months and got nothing but a repeat of next year. I didn't ask if any of these channels were KXJB or KVLY. When I asked about those two networks, I was told there have been recent developments and equipment has been purchased to get them added in a few months which is still too slow but at least it's progress.
puck71's Avatar puck71
01:42 PM Liked: 10
post #302 of 2014
11-05-2005 | Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovers50 View Post

I called CableOne the other day to try and get an answer on why Mid Continent can offer substantially more channels on their digital and HD packages. I got some answer about equipment costing money which I didn't buy because I'd think CableOne would have quite a bit deeper pockets than MidCo.

Obviously they already have the equipment to actually offer HD channels, so I can only assume that they're referring to the cost of upgrading their whole system from 550 to 750MHz, in order to offer more services, including more channels.

Quote:

Some of the info I got that would be considered somewhat useful is that CableOne will be adding 3 HD channels "next year". I questioned what next year meant being it could be 2 to 14 months and got nothing but a repeat of next year. I didn't ask if any of these channels were KXJB or KVLY.

Personally I hope it's 3 non-network HD channels, since I can get those OTA, but I'll take what I can get. If I was going to pick 3 HD channels, I'd go for HDNet and ESPN2HD for sure, then maybe HDNet Movies or inHD, possibly Discovery HD.

Quote:

When I asked about those two networks, I was told there have been recent developments and equipment has been purchased to get them added in a few months which is still too slow but at least it's progress.

That's funny because I asked pretty much the exact same question quite awhile ago (before either network started broadcasting in HD) and was told that they had all the equipment and just needed to "plug in" the signal from the networks...
dandeson83's Avatar dandeson83
03:33 PM Liked: 10
post #303 of 2014
11-05-2005 | Posts: 321
Well, I guess 3 new HD channels next year is better than none. Unfortunately, there is more than three new HD networks launching next year. The ones I know of are National Geographic HD, Food Network HD, HGTV HD, MTV HD, and FOX HD (a mix of HD from the Fox cable networks i.e speed, fx, etc..). So only adding three, when 5+ new ones launch, is still a negative net gain,

I just hope the three aren't premium movie channels like Cinemax-HD, Starz-HD, etc. That would really suck.
puck71's Avatar puck71
06:48 PM Liked: 10
post #304 of 2014
11-05-2005 | Posts: 450
Yeah, at best 3 new HD channels will bring us up to about 2004 levels for most cable or dish services...
jfreed's Avatar jfreed
11:18 PM Liked: 10
post #305 of 2014
11-06-2005 | Posts: 2
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this HD stuff. I've got a Sony KDF-50WE655 LCD Projection TV currently wasting it's life away on CableOne. I don't have a box, I went the CableCard route for the cheapness factor. Finally, sick of waiting on KVLY to be offered on CableOne I picked up a set-top antenna last night at Best Buy. I was a little skeptical since my TV is in the basement, but after some monkeying around I've now got KXJB, KVLY, PBS, KVRR, and WDAY coming through. Obviously, the only HD ones in that list are KXJB, KVLY, and PBS.

Now, today was my first "big day" watching OTA HD programming. I watched the football games on KXJB and also some NASCAR on KVLY. One thing that I noticed was a fair amount of tiling or pixelation when there was a lot of action on the screen. I don't get any drop-outs or stuttering, just that when there's a lot happening, there is noticable pixelation or tiling or whatever you call it. Is my antenna at fault for this or is this more likely just the compression coming from the networks and or KVLY? Watching Sunday Night Football on ESPN-HD (CableOne) was beautiful! None of that pixelation business.

My TV reports about 70 (I believe that's in percent) for the signal of both KVLY and KXJB. Can anyone tell me if that 70% is the cause for this pixelation? I am guessing that it's just the compression coming from NBC/CBS and not a lot anybody can do about it. Surprising how there was none of that on ESPN, though. The way I understand it, if my signal is really to blame I'll get the drop outs and stuttering of the picture/audio. Can anyone confirm that my assumption is true?

I appreciate your patience. Like I said, I am pretty green when it comes to the HDTV world.

If anyone is curious, I live in West Fargo, right on the border of Fargo -- behind Home Depot. The antenna I am using is the RCA ANT501. And yes, this is all in my basement.
puck71's Avatar puck71
09:03 AM Liked: 10
post #306 of 2014
11-07-2005 | Posts: 450
Basically I don't think it's a problem on your end. I noticed the same thing sometimes, and it's either the local broadcaster's problem or on the national end. It may be compression or a problem with the cameras, etc., but it's most likely not a signal strength issue.
Steinej's Avatar Steinej
09:21 PM Liked: 10
post #307 of 2014
11-07-2005 | Posts: 15
[quote=jfreed]
My TV reports about 70 (I believe that's in percent) for the signal of both KVLY and KXJB. Can anyone tell me if that 70% is the cause for this pixelation? I am guessing that it's just the compression coming from NBC/CBS and not a lot anybody can do about it. Surprising how there was none of that on ESPN, though. The way I understand it, if my signal is really to blame I'll get the drop outs and stuttering of the picture/audio. Can anyone confirm that my assumption is true?[quote]

I also live in West Fargo (north of the Harley shop) and have a Dish Network system with OTA capability. When I first got the system, I purchased a UHF antenna and put it on the roof and pointed it to the southeast. I picked up all digital signals on Fox, WDAY and PBS, and the HD is excellent on PBS.

When KVLY went digital and HD, I also got about 68-70 on the signal meter. I was getting pixelation and dropouts regularly like you reported. I climbed on the roof and pointed my antenna to the northeast. Signal strength on KVLY went to 82, and I don't have pixelation or dropouts anymore. KXJB is also about 80 and I just finished watching CSI Miami in HD. Fabulous...

Now for the bad news... with my antenna pointed to the northeast, I no longer get WDAY or FOX. They are less than 49 and won't come in at all. PBS signal decreased some, but I still get 90 on both HD and non-HD portions of their signal. I've had to watch FOX and WDAY via local channels on the satellite.

I haven't missed anything on those channels yet because they aren't broadcasting any HD. I hope to figure out something before they go HD, but don't know what that will be yet. I may have to settle for two separate antennas and switch them as necessary, though I don't like that thought. Anyone else have any suggestions?

John
glura's Avatar glura
08:43 AM Liked: 10
post #308 of 2014
11-08-2005 | Posts: 34
SteineJ, 70% might be on the low side to get a good, consistent signal.

For antennas, you may need a multi-directional UHF antenna or 2 directional UHF antennas.
Another West Fargoan told me that this powered antenna from Radio Shack is working from their attic: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I've gone with 2 outdoor UHF antennas (Yagi style) since I already had one mounted and another antenna laying around. I just combined the signal into one with a combiner from Radio Shack. So far, I'm getting full strength on all channels (except maybe PBS. I haven't checked that for awhile).

The Fox digital signal is coming from their office/tower about 2 blocks behind hornbachers on 13th ave. KXJB and KVLY towers are about 35-40 miles N/NW of us. I setup my 2 antennas so they are at about a 100 degree angle from one another. I'm just east of the charleswood area.
You can get an idea about where the towers are here: http://www.antennaweb.org

later,
Gary
Brian Glaeske's Avatar Brian Glaeske
09:23 PM Liked: 10
post #309 of 2014
11-09-2005 | Posts: 110
Looks like I'm going to have to do something to my antenna. My KVLY problems are solved, and I almost tuned KXJB.

Ugg.

Brian G.
GFJay's Avatar GFJay
09:25 PM Liked: 10
post #310 of 2014
11-09-2005 | Posts: 56
I wasn't able to get a signal on KX at all today (although I didn't check in the evening).

J-
puck71's Avatar puck71
08:43 AM Liked: 10
post #311 of 2014
11-10-2005 | Posts: 450
I didn't try it during the day, but I got "Criminal Minds" in perfect HD from 8-9 last night on KXJB-DT.
urnote96's Avatar urnote96
02:52 PM Liked: 10
post #312 of 2014
11-10-2005 | Posts: 26
My KXJB-DT and KVLY-DT are running in the 90's on my DirecTV HD Tivo while the tuner on my TV shows about a 75-80 on both. So I am happy. Just need to wait for the FOX and ABC to show up here in Grand Forks and than I will be extra happy.
08:06 PM Liked: 10
post #313 of 2014
11-10-2005 | Posts: 110
So I get my antenna all fixed up tonight ready to watch CSI: and guess what? "Loss of input signal" is being broadcast by KXJB. It was fixed 20 minutes into the program.

Suppose it is just too early to actually depend on the signal to be stable.

Brian G.
puck71's Avatar puck71
08:46 PM Liked: 10
post #314 of 2014
11-10-2005 | Posts: 450
They must have run into a problem switching to HD, since Survivor was fine the whole way through and the error screen came on just as it switched to CSI.
Warp's Avatar Warp
09:30 PM Liked: 11
post #315 of 2014
11-11-2005 | Posts: 172
I have an HDTiVo (hr10-250). My question is around guide data. I'm not seeing any guide data for ABC (WDAY), NBC (KVLY), or CBS (KXJB). I do have guide data for FOX (KVRR) and PBS (KFME). Is this a matter of the stations not providing data in their signal? Are other's seeing the same thing?

It's great that we're starting to get some local HD, but without guide data the stations are virtually worthless to me. I rarely watch live TV and don't want to bother with setting timed recordings.

It's unfortunate that the stations I really wish would go HD are still SD. I watch a couple of shows on ABC and I want the local FOX for Vikings games. CBS and NBC going HD here in Fargo is also basically a non-event for me, since I already receive New York feeds of these stations (plus FOX) from DirecTV. But ABC and FOX would be really nice. I wonder if it will ever happen?
GFJay's Avatar GFJay
09:53 PM Liked: 10
post #316 of 2014
11-11-2005 | Posts: 56
I also have an HR10-250.

DirecTV doesn't utilize over-the-air guide data, they go through their own system. They get their data from Tribune Media Services (you can see all guide data on www.zap2it.com).

Zap2It does not yet recognize KVLY or KXJB as providing a digital signal on it's 2 channels. Until they do, we don't get guide data through DirecTV. I've called the stations about it, and they tell me to contact DirecTV. I've contacted DirecTV, who tells me to contact Tribue/Zap2It. I contact them (have done so numerous times), and I don't get a response. I've checked a few other threads here and at tivocommunity.com, and it seems like zap2it doesn't ever respond to people. At this point we have to hope that KVLY/KX eventually let Tribune know they have a signal. I'm also guessing that zap2it uses info from the FCC as to what channels actually exist, I don't see on their website that they have the digital channels for KVLY or KX listed. They do have the other local digital channels listed, which are the exact ones that zap2it has, which tells me that zap2it uses FCC info determine what channels we have (and should get guide data for).

In other words, it's a big headache and I don't know when it'll be fixed. What's frustrating is that I know exactly what's wrong, but can't get anyone to assist with it. I'm getting annoyed at having to set up manual recordings for everything on those channels.

J-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post

I have an HDTiVo (hr10-250). My question is around guide data. I'm not seeing any guide data for ABC (WDAY), NBC (KVLY), or CBS (KXJB). I do have guide data for FOX (KVRR) and PBS (KFME). Is this a matter of the stations not providing data in their signal? Are other's seeing the same thing?

It's great that we're starting to get some local HD, but without guide data the stations are virtually worthless to me. I rarely watch live TV and don't want to bother with setting timed recordings.

It's unfortunate that the stations I really wish would go HD are still SD. I watch a couple of shows on ABC and I want the local FOX for Vikings games. CBS and NBC going HD here in Fargo is also basically a non-event for me, since I already receive New York feeds of these stations (plus FOX) from DirecTV. But ABC and FOX would be really nice. I wonder if it will ever happen?

puck71's Avatar puck71
07:12 PM Liked: 10
post #317 of 2014
11-16-2005 | Posts: 450
I assume everyone else is having problems with KVLY and KXJB? I'm not getting a signal on either one. KVLY was fine last night but I hadn't tried either of them today until a few minutes ago.
paulbram's Avatar paulbram
07:39 PM Liked: 10
post #318 of 2014
11-16-2005 | Posts: 74
I have a strong KXJB signal but nothing on KVLY.
puck71's Avatar puck71
08:05 PM Liked: 10
post #319 of 2014
11-16-2005 | Posts: 450
They're both back on for me now...I just hope KXJB is going strong tomorrow for primetime!
Mr. Monitor's Avatar Mr. Monitor
02:52 AM Liked: 10
post #320 of 2014
11-17-2005 | Posts: 8
KVLY & KXJB lost there line power from REA at there transmitter sites last night.
There generators are not connected to there HD transmitters yet.
Mr. Monitor's Avatar Mr. Monitor
12:35 AM Liked: 10
post #321 of 2014
11-18-2005 | Posts: 8
I am getting good signals from all the digital stations.
I'm using a philips 20 element uhf vhf antenna model # T900 that I pickup at Mills Fleet Farm for $27.00.
I have the antenna up in my attic and using 100 ft of R6 cable.
KXJB ch38 92 signal strength SRN% 29
WDAY CH 21 87 signal strength SRN % 26
KFME ch 23 98 signal strength SRN% 31 KVRR ch 19 87 signal strength SRN % 26
KVLY ch 44 84 signal strength SRN% 24
I live south of Fargo.
agunders's Avatar agunders
04:07 PM Liked: 10
post #322 of 2014
11-27-2005 | Posts: 7
Has KVLY/KXJB been having problems this weekend? First the parade on Thanksgiving, though available in HD, was broadcast SD on their HD feeds. Then the viking game today, again could have been HD, but wasn't. I know this is new to them and they're getting a hang of things, but 2 big events and both went without local HD coverage though it's available. Hope things get back to normal for prime time this week.
GFJay's Avatar GFJay
08:30 PM Liked: 10
post #323 of 2014
11-27-2005 | Posts: 56
Not sure why the parade wasn't broadcast in HD (I was looking forward to it, and friends in other parts of the country saw it in HD). NBC advertised that it was going to be in HD. Maybe NBC wasn't aware of it? I do know that the Vikings game was not broadcast by CBS in HD (maybe not enough equipment), so no fault of KX there.

J-
puck71's Avatar puck71
08:57 AM Liked: 10
post #324 of 2014
11-28-2005 | Posts: 450
Right, the Vikings game was NOT available in HD anywhere. Not sure about the parade since I wasn't watching at that time, but there were 3 CBS football games in HD yesterday (they usually only have about this many due to not having enough equipment to do all games in HD), and the Vikings game was not one of them.

I did notice a little hiccup at the beginning of "Cold Case" last night, but it did go to HD within about a minute. Maybe didn't have the first or even second string staff for the holiday weekend.
puck71's Avatar puck71
06:06 PM Liked: 10
post #325 of 2014
11-28-2005 | Posts: 450
Great - I have power but I'm presuming the transmitters don't since I get 0 signal for both KVLY and KXJB...
07:46 PM Liked: 10
post #326 of 2014
11-28-2005 | Posts: 110
I was told that NBC decided to only send the feed for the parade to the birds that KVLY listens to. Apparently it only got sent to the east coast and the west coast feeds.

Kind of a bummer that when the power goes out at the towers, no HD.

Brian G.
puck71's Avatar puck71
07:16 AM Liked: 10
post #327 of 2014
11-29-2005 | Posts: 450
Now that you mention it, the parade on NBC was tape-delayed in central time, and I've heard that in tape-delay situations, only the live feed gets HD and the rest get SD. Nothing KVLY can do about it.
GFJay's Avatar GFJay
09:38 AM Liked: 10
post #328 of 2014
11-30-2005 | Posts: 56
Is anyone getting KVLY in hi-def yet? I haven't received a signal since the storm, although KX is coming in fine.
Steinej's Avatar Steinej
06:59 PM Liked: 10
post #329 of 2014
11-30-2005 | Posts: 15
I've noticed the same. 0% signal strength on my Dish Network 811 OTA. Channel 4-1, however, looks fine.
urnote96's Avatar urnote96
07:46 PM Liked: 10
post #330 of 2014
11-30-2005 | Posts: 26
yeah i am getting nothing on mine....stupid stuff...

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread