Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #331 of 2004 Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heard a rumor that KVLY and KXJB are petitioning the FCC to broadcast a stronger signal than they are currently broadcasting. Apparently, the FCC has a standard signal strength limit, their definition of 100%, which works fine in a metro environment, but could be higher for rural environments like the midwest.

Obviously our stations goal is to reach more people with their signal. If this deal goes through, many people might be able to get both stations out in lakes country. Might need a taller antenna to account for hills, but stay optimistic.

On another note, KVLY is still out for me, but KXJB is ok. CSI:NY has a bit of a lip-sync problem going on and the occasional audio dropout.

I'm also noticing artifacts during fast motion sequences. Anyone else?

Brian G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 2004 Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The stronger the better as far as I'm concerned...I get a pretty good signal with my indoor antenna but it would be nice if it was a little stronger.

I didn't watch CSI:NY last night, but I didn't notice any sync or artifact issues during Criminal Minds. I have during football games and such, but I doubt that's anything we or KXJB have any control over.
post #333 of 2004 Old 12-01-2005, 04:26 PM

anyone getting kvly yet? I'm getting KXJB.
my antenna pole busted in the recent rain/ice storm, so I'm setting them up inside for now, and probably the attic this weekend. So, I'm just curious if the stations are on or not before I start troubleshooting reception.

Thanks,
Gary
post #334 of 2004 Old 12-01-2005, 04:32 PM

um, nevermind. I just got the kvly signal
post #335 of 2004 Old 12-03-2005, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Those of you using MCE PC's for the local OTA reception- are you getting guide info downloaded for those channels?

Thanks...
post #336 of 2004 Old 12-04-2005, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey all,

I got a message back from Zap2It (Tribune Media), saying that they will be adding KVLY and KXJB on Wednesday. That means that those of you using a DirecTV receiver will start getting guide data, hopefully by the end of this week!

J-
post #337 of 2004 Old 12-05-2005, 08:28 AM

Looking to understand what the best antenna is that I could get. It will likely be attic-mounted and non-adjustable (much, anyways). Thoughts?

Looking for HD reception here.

Jay
post #338 of 2004 Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM

I've never heard a bad thing about the ChannelMaster 4228. I'd check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay@Fargo View Post

Looking to understand what the best antenna is that I could get. It will likely be attic-mounted and non-adjustable (much, anyways). Thoughts?

Looking for HD reception here.

Jay

post #339 of 2004 Old 12-05-2005, 11:00 AM

I've been fine so far with just an RCA indoor amplified antenna. It can be a little touchy sometimes, and an outdoor or attic mount would be better, but any of them should work fine. When I get a new place I'll probably get something outdoor just so I can get a 100% reliable signal.
post #340 of 2004 Old 12-06-2005, 02:29 AM

Winegard makes some great antennas.
I got a UHF Winegard HD 9065p from S/S Electronic Inc.
It's boom is 50" long and it has 23 elements.
I am going to try it out this week and I will report back.
post #341 of 2004 Old 12-06-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm a bit torn between getting a do-it-all antenna and mounting it on the roof (I'd like a good FM antenna) and a HDTV channel only antenna.

Channel Master has just about every variant, and there are other good brands.

So, I think I need to decide a few things:

1) FM or not
2) Internal or External
3) All channels or HDTV-only
4) Preamp or not
5) Get something to rotate it cause WDAY had to be in a different direction than the rest of them.

Thoughts?

Jay@Fargo
post #342 of 2004 Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 AM

To clarify a couple things, I don't think there are any antennas that are "HDTV only" - HD channels are (usually) broadcast over UHF just like any other analog station over channel 14, so your choices are really getting a UHF-only antenna (which should get you all HD channels, in addition to any analog UHF channels) or an antenna that does UHF and VHF.

For the rotation part, I think there are automated antennas out there that can rotate themselves depending on what channel you're tuning. I haven't researched them at all but I've heard of them.
post #343 of 2004 Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Back to the Macy's parade topic, I just saw an official response to this over at Satelliteguys (http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=48309):

"At the present time, NBC is only able to provide 2 HD feeds. They are currently used for the east and pacific feeds. When central stations are on the same feed as the east they get the HD feed (primetime and latenight) However, when there are time zone specific feeds (like the Macy's Parade) the central stations get only the SD feed.

NBC is in the process of upgrading the HD facilities and will be able to provide HD for all time zone specific feeds for the Olympics. After the Olympics it's back to only 2 HD feeds until the HD upgrade becomes permanent- I think some time later in 2006."
post #344 of 2004 Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 PM

Hey guys, I've been watching this thread for a while now, and finally made the hd switch. I bought a Westinghouse LVM-37w1. 37" LCD 1080p native. GREAT panel. It's being powered by my new cableone 6412 box which I love. I had tivo before i switched to hd and cablenones new digi/hd box, and so far havent looked back since.
Does anyone know a way to search for a program to record or does it have to go through the guide?
I'm waiting to get a tuner for OTA fargo channels. Which I may just run through my MCE pc. I've heard good things about Fusion cards and ATI HD card. I've just been debating on which antenna I should use to power it. Any recommendations? I live right next to home depot in an apt.
Thanks guys!
post #345 of 2004 Old 12-08-2005, 09:18 AM

There's a very minimal search feature - it's in the guide menu somewhere. It's not anything like Tivo's search though- you can really only search by show title.
post #346 of 2004 Old 12-08-2005, 12:07 PM

Another question. With OTA HD, do only certain programs play on the channel? Or do all shows come in digital but only a couple are in HD?
post #347 of 2004 Old 12-08-2005, 12:43 PM

Every program comes through digitally. Only some (generally prtime time) are in HD. Both KVLY and KXJB start broadcasting at 8am and generally stop around 1am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natelv View Post

Another question. With OTA HD, do only certain programs play on the channel? Or do all shows come in digital but only a couple are in HD?

post #348 of 2004 Old 12-16-2005, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I've heard good things about Fusion cards and ATI HD card.

Hi natelv,
I have the Fusion card and I'd actually recommend AGAINST it. Don't get me wrong, the card works. And if you're into pulling the QAM signal from CableOne this card is about your only option. My main problem with the card is the terrible driver/install situation. The drivers have improved greatly since I first bought the card, but they're still very touchy. I haven't quite figured out what breaks it, but I can tell you that it does break easily. And once it's busted, it usually takes a full uninstall/reinstall to fix it. Sometimes system restore will do the trick.

As for an alternative, I've heard good things about the Vbox ATSC card, but that won't do QAM.

From a Media Center standpoint, I love it. When my Fusion card is working Media Center is flawless. I have all the guide data for for the digital stations and I'm even able to play/pause/record live HDTV via my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender!
post #349 of 2004 Old 12-16-2005, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbram View Post

From a Media Center standpoint, I love it. When my Fusion card is working Media Center is flawless. I have all the guide data for for the digital stations and I'm even able to play/pause/record live HDTV via my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender!

Good to know on the guide data, I was curious about that. You have me a little spooked on the Fusion card though.

Thanks!
post #350 of 2004 Old 12-17-2005, 12:21 PM

Yeah, i may go with vbox. QAM support is not a huge thing to have i guess. QAM channels would only be TNT/ESPN/PBS in HD am I right? And I think the music channels are unencrypted too, like channel 73, 74 - sub channel 800's??

From my first post I said I have a Westinghouse LCD, I returned that and picked up the Samsung R4266w DLP. MUCH better with analog. It's nice to have a built in tuner / cable card. The built in tuner on that picks up TNT/ESPN/PBS in HD direct from coax.
post #351 of 2004 Old 12-17-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, i may go with vbox. QAM support is not a huge thing to have i guess. QAM channels would only be TNT/ESPN/PBS in HD am I right? And I think the music channels are unencrypted too, like channel 73, 74 - sub channel 800's??

From my first post I said I have a Westinghouse LCD, I returned that and picked up the Samsung R4266w DLP. MUCH better with analog. It's nice to have a built in tuner / cable card. The built in tuner on that picks up TNT/ESPN/PBS in HD direct from coax.

You should be able to get Universal HD as well.
post #352 of 2004 Old 12-17-2005, 11:41 PM

I'm picking up KVLY in Sharon, ND now. (the middle of nowhere!) Using a Dish 811 receiver. I ghetto-rigged two sets of rabbit ears together and it works well for now. I max out at 65% for signal strength with no problems. SNL looked okay tonight. I think HDNet and HDNet Movies look better though. I haven't gotten KXJB in yet. Maxing out at 49%, but haven't really moved the antenna to see if I can get it. Might try tomorrow if there's a decent NFL game on.

I'll probably be picking up a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna soon, as well as moving to Fargo in the summertime, so won't be a hassle tuning anything in. In the market for a new tv also. Anyone here know of any stores in Fargo that carry the current line of Panasonic DLPs or the Toshiba 1080p DLPs? In particular the 56" versions? The prices are pretty good online, but if I can get one local for not much more, that would be better for me.
post #353 of 2004 Old 12-18-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Yeah, i may go with vbox. QAM support is not a huge thing to have i guess. QAM channels would only be TNT/ESPN/PBS in HD am I right?

All digital cable channels are QAM, but many of them will be encrypted. Eventually the local channels will hopefully be in HD on CableONE, and those feeds will be on unencrypted QAM.
post #354 of 2004 Old 12-19-2005, 06:42 PM

Speaking of that, anyone heard any new news, regarding KVLY / KXJB and CableOne HD carriage? I was really disappointed in not being able to watch the Vikings / Steelers game in HD yesterday.
post #355 of 2004 Old 12-20-2005, 09:22 AM

Speaking of the Vikings/Steelers game, was anyone else watching it straight through on the HD feed? It took them awhile to get it all worked out. At the start of the game they had the HD video feed and audio from the stadium, but no commentators, so they switched back and forth a few times between HD and SD since the SD had the commentators. Eventually they got it worked out and I think the majority of the game was fine. It was interesting watching the HD feed with no announcers because they had some field mics on so you could hear the PA announcer and all the hits from the field, but no talking heads.
post #356 of 2004 Old 12-20-2005, 10:33 AM

I loved it without the play-by-play and color guys! Straight game was awesome. I almost through my remote at the TV when they switched back to the standard def signal JUST to get the announcers voices. Thankfully it didn't stay that way.

Lots of problems first half. Second half was perfect. My favorite part was when the Vikings got their asses kicked by my Steelers.
post #357 of 2004 Old 01-01-2006, 10:20 AM

Anyone with CableOne notice that the DVR rental is doubling as of February 1? I'm wondering how TIVO would work with the CableOne system...
post #358 of 2004 Old 01-01-2006, 03:13 PM

TIVO will only be able to record & watch the analog channels, 2-63. TIVO is not able to decode QAM digital signals, nor handle the HD channels. If all you want is analog capability, then TIVO or ReplayTV will work. If you want the ability to record any of the digital channels (100+) or HD, then you need to have the CableOne DVR box.
post #359 of 2004 Old 01-01-2006, 09:40 PM

There's been talk of an HD Tivo box that supports Cablecards (even an official announcement), so you could plug in a Cablecard from CableOne and theoretically get all the channels that you subscribed to on the Tivo. I don't think it's out yet, but something like that is a possibility down the road.

Where did you see or hear about the price increase in February? Maybe this will coincide with the rumored addition of more HD channels...
post #360 of 2004 Old 01-01-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

TIVO will only be able to record & watch the analog channels, 2-63. TIVO is not able to decode QAM digital signals, nor handle the HD channels. If all you want is analog capability, then TIVO or ReplayTV will work. If you want the ability to record any of the digital channels (100+) or HD, then you need to have the CableOne DVR box.

Thanks for the info...been thinking of DircecTV, but the $399 for the HD DVR is a little steep...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page