Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #391 of 1974 Old 01-26-2006, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been in contact with the local NBC contacts about where they stand on getting KVLY added to CableOne's lineup. I have included a portion of the email that I received in response to this inquiry. I can only wish CableOne would be as professional and helpful as the contacts I have dealt with at KVLY. A meeting is taking place between Cableone and KVLY/KXJB this week so lets hope they can come to an agreement quickly before the olympics.

The short answer is this-- we are in the process of negotiating
>carriage of our HD signals (KVLY & KXJB), and hope to have something worked
>out soon. My personal hope is that we'll have it done in time for NBC's
>Olympic coverage, but I can't guarantee that. Your friend in Horace is a
>Midcontinent customer-- we just completed an agreement with them, and I'm
>confident we can reach a similar deal with CableOne. It is true that we
>have delayed negotiations with CableOne because we wanted to finish the
>Midcontinent deal first. Our corporate executives wanted to do
>Midcontinent
>first because it has more subscribers over the entire breadth of the TV
>Stations in our company (F-M, Bismarck & Sioux Falls).

I must say from the responses I have seen from Cableone to customer inquiries about this issue, I can't fault KVLY for working with Midcontinent first.

-Hillbilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1974 Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 AM

Well, let's hope that this meeting between CableOne & KVLY/KXJB leeds to an agreement before the Olympics start.
post #393 of 1974 Old 01-26-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I've pretty much decided that if I don't see KVLY, KXJB and at least one other new, non-premium (ESPN2HD, DiscoveryHD, etc.) HD offering added to CableOne's lineup by spring I'm going satellite shopping. I've been a CableOne video subscriber since the mid 80's and have had their digital/HD/broadband package for two years now. I'm tired of the substandard video offerings and wouldn't care if satellite is the same or higher monthly fee.

End of rant
post #394 of 1974 Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 AM

The Forum article/chart today said the DVR fee remained the same at $10, but as we've discussed the fee is doubling, whether you separate it from HD and say it doubled from $5 to $10 or if you lump it with HD and say it doubled from $10 to $20.

On that note, I also got confirmation from CableOne that they no longer offer the non-DVR HD receiver. It seems like the reason basically is that it's easier for them to not stock two different HD receivers. Also I guess not many people asked for them, but I attribute that to the fact that they didn't have them in stock, so how would they know how many people ask for them?

The option they have if you want HD but don't want a DVR is the Cablecard for $2.95 a month. Obviously this requires that you have some place to plug the Cablecard into, most often right into the TV. Other devices have been coming out with Cablecard compatibility, incuding third-party DVRs and computer tuners. I haven't looked around for the cheapest way to just get a receiver to decode the Cablecard and send the signal to your non-Cablecard TV - if they do exist I doubt they'll be under $100. Combine that with the fact that Cablecard technology is still evolving, and it's not really a great investment in my opinion. If you have a Cablecard slot on your TV, though, the $2.95 a month is almost a no-brainer.
post #395 of 1974 Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 PM

It will be very interesting to see what comes of Cable1 and the local affliates. I sure *hope* they can work something out, but without a rate increase on top of the new one, they probably won't do it.
I am also leaning toward checking out the satellite market. Waiting for the mpeg4 stuff to roll around first. What would be nice is to get the main networks to broadcast hd over satellite....I'll be keeping my eyes out and fingers crossed.
post #396 of 1974 Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 AM

The networks do broadcast HD over satellite, but there's no guarantee you'll be able to receive them. Your local affiliates need to give you a waiver to allow you to see the national HD feeds on satellite, and many local affiliates are unwilling to do that.

Both DirecTV and Dish Network are in the process of making the local affiliates available in HD on satellite. However, they've barely done the biggest few markets so far, so Fargo is still at least a couple years down the road. When HD locals are available on satellite and when they have affordable HD DVRs (now you have to pay several hundred dollars to get the same kind of equipment that CableOne gives you as part of the package) I'll look at satellite, but for now there's not enough there for me. DirecTV and Dish are both raising rates now too, so that's not much of a factor.
post #397 of 1974 Old 01-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fargo should have really let some competition come in to improve the quality or reduce the rates. Even Midcontinent would have helped because they deal with competition in Rapid City. Of course the best thing would be to have Verizon Fios available.
post #398 of 1974 Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 AM

I'm hoping Verizon will make it here eventually - it's just not a big enough market and they're starting in the South and the East Coast.

After some research, it's not like the City of Fargo hasn't "let" other companies offer service in Fargo. According to their site (http://www.cityoffargo.com/cable/cablefaqs.htm) they have a non-exclusive franchise agreement with CableOne, which means that any cable company could come in and offer cable TV, but none have applied to do so.
post #399 of 1974 Old 01-30-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

Technically you were supposed to pay for the HD package to get the HD channels all along, but they weren't encrypted so any QAM tuner would be able to receive them.

Anyone notice a change in this? My HD channels are find through the DVR, but they're no longer coming in through the direct line in....
post #400 of 1974 Old 01-30-2006, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post

Anyone notice a change in this? My HD channels are find through the DVR, but they're no longer coming in through the direct line in....

I don't have a way to test it, but I wouldn't be surprised. They don't have any real reason to offer any channels (other than the OTA networks) unencrypted.
post #401 of 1974 Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

The FCC and KVLY didn't do anything wrong. KVLY petitioned the FCC a couple years ago to change their frequency from 58 to 44. If MCE can't update their software in two years I'd say it's their problem...

Technically, MCE pulls guide data directly from the FCC (a decision I don't really agree with). Yes, KVLY petitioned for this two years ago, but the FCC has yet to actually acknowledge the change. It's for this reason that MCE hasn't changed.

I wonder if KVLY didn't change to 44 before getting final approval from the FCC?

Whatever the case, I think it would be faster to contact the FCC than it would be to log an issue with MS. Conceptually, if we can get the FCC to update things on their end it will eventually roll back into MCE's EPG.
post #402 of 1974 Old 01-30-2006, 02:14 PM

First of all, thanks to all for the great thread.

I am finally getting a HDTV this week and I have a few questions.

My house has an old antenna off of my garage. (The house was not wired for cable before I moved in). Should I even try to get an OTA signal from that or should I just buy a new antenna to mount to the pole.

Also (I haven't checked yet), does Cableone have any of the phase III DVR's yet? It sounds like they are way better than the previous ones.

Thanks
post #403 of 1974 Old 01-30-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post

That's the reason I checked the forum today because I noticed that last night and figured CableOne shut it off. As I'm typing this, I noticed that PBS has shown up on another channel so I did a scan and found the channels have been moved.

The new locations:
ESPN HD 65.452
Universal HD 65.490
TNT HD 66.454
PBS HD 67.470

The music channels are in the 68.801+ range.
post #404 of 1974 Old 01-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Anyone know if there's a glimmer of hope that WDAY will have the superbowl in Hi-def? Or should I just 'fuggedabout it?'

John
post #405 of 1974 Old 01-30-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovers50 View Post

The new locations:
ESPN HD 65.452
Universal HD 65.490
TNT HD 66.454
PBS HD 67.470

The music channels are in the 68.801+ range.

Thanks for the info. I just got a LG 3510 QAM cable tuner and it seems to work OK using these channel numbers except for TNT HD. I get a good picture but no sound. Is TNT coming in for anyone else without a cable box?
post #406 of 1974 Old 01-31-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyT View Post

Also (I haven't checked yet), does Cableone have any of the phase III DVR's yet? It sounds like they are way better than the previous ones.

I'm not sure if they have any right now, but they have had them. I got my Phase III box from them a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbram View Post

Technically, MCE pulls guide data directly from the FCC (a decision I don't really agree with). Yes, KVLY petitioned for this two years ago, but the FCC has yet to actually acknowledge the change. It's for this reason that MCE hasn't changed.

I wonder if KVLY didn't change to 44 before getting final approval from the FCC?

Whatever the case, I think it would be faster to contact the FCC than it would be to log an issue with MS. Conceptually, if we can get the FCC to update things on their end it will eventually roll back into MCE's EPG.

The request was approved by the FCC and the proceeding was terminated: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...A-04-374A1.pdf

What do they need to update in order for MCE to pick up the change?
post #407 of 1974 Old 01-31-2006, 07:57 AM

At the bottom of that pdf it says: "For further information concerning this proceeding, contact Pam Blumenthal, Media
Bureau, (202) 418-1600."

I think I'll try giving Pam a call. I read somewhere that MCE pulls guide data directly from the FCC database. If that's true then maybe the FCC needs to double check that this change was applied correctly.
post #408 of 1974 Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 AM

I just got off the phone with the FCC and they confirmed that KVLY-DT is listed as channel 58 in their database. I then referenced docket No. 03-234 (thanks Puck71!) and he was able begin the escalation process to get this fixed.

He'll be sending me an email with status information and I'll report back here with the results.
post #409 of 1974 Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 PM

I just got an email back from the FCC. If you're interested in checking the status of this you can query the actual database yourself using this link:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...ility_id=61961
post #410 of 1974 Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 PM

Wow guys, nice progress! Thanks for the effort, us MC users appreciate it.
I have a question also - I am moving to an apartment southside fargo I-29/32 Ave. area. The apartment i have is a south facing apt. making it perfect for satellite, but will I have a problem getting an hd signal in? I have NO windows facing any direction but direct south. I have a Terk HDTVA antenna right now with a north facing view and get a great signal. Any suggestions? Possible antenna upgrade?
post #411 of 1974 Old 02-01-2006, 06:54 AM

I have a south-facing apartment in south Moorhead and can get a signal on KXJB and KVLY with just a powered indoor antenna sitting next to my TV (but close to the balcony door), I believe something similar to what you have, but it's an RCA.
post #412 of 1974 Old 02-01-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I just stopped in to CableOne today and asked about KVLY/KXJB status and she said "no progress as far as I know". I suspect we will not be looking at HD Olympic coverage on NBC unless you have an OTA setup.
post #413 of 1974 Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinej View Post

Anyone know if there's a glimmer of hope that WDAY will have the superbowl in Hi-def? Or should I just 'fuggedabout it?'

John

John- fuggedabout it.... I see that ABC does not have TV rights to another Superbowl before 2011 at the earliest. It is possible that WDAY might be broadcasting an HD signal by that time.
post #414 of 1974 Old 02-01-2006, 06:39 PM

My contacts tell me that the ABC affiliates (WDAY/WDAZ) won't be broadcasting OTA in HD/digital until 2009 when they are forced to do so. Their concern is that viewers wouldn't be able to view a digital signal, and it sounds like they are unwilling to broadcast analog and digital at the same time.

On the bright side, for those with cable (I am not one of them,) it is very likely that they will be passing through the network HD signal to cable providers, providing an HD ABC affiliate before it goes OTA.

If that happens, I might end up switching to Midcontinent so that I can actually get some HD for ABC shows! The only local affiliate that I don't have details on right now is FOX. Anyone have insight as to when that can be expected?
post #415 of 1974 Old 02-02-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFJay View Post

My contacts tell me that the ABC affiliates (WDAY/WDAZ) won't be broadcasting OTA in HD/digital until 2009 when they are forced to do so. Their concern is that viewers wouldn't be able to view a digital signal, and it sounds like they are unwilling to broadcast analog and digital at the same time.

On the bright side, for those with cable (I am not one of them,) it is very likely that they will be passing through the network HD signal to cable providers, providing an HD ABC affiliate before it goes OTA.

If that happens, I might end up switching to Midcontinent so that I can actually get some HD for ABC shows! The only local affiliate that I don't have details on right now is FOX. Anyone have insight as to when that can be expected?

Unbelievable!

Okay, that's it. I'm done with WDAY. ABC has some of the best programming out there but for some reason they can't afford this? What do they spend their money on anyway?

If they think us viewers have no choice but to watch Lost on their crappy mono, blurry, "digital" channel, think again. I think it's about time for a "move" (notice the quotes). That's right, me and my dish will soon be "moving" to Chicago, where everything is in HD! If anybody else out there is looking for a WDAY alternative, just let me know. I'll gladly tell you how easy it is to "move" to a better affiliate.

Here's hoping that someone from WDAY is lurking on this board...
post #416 of 1974 Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 PM

I live in South Fargo and just dove into DirecTV. I will be getting my local HD with an off-air antenna that my DirecTV installer will hopefully be willing to install for me.

It's been awhile since this was brought up: does anyone have antenna recommendations? What kinds are you using, and are you happy with them?

Thanks in advance!
post #417 of 1974 Old 02-02-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFJay View Post

There are some inconsistencies there that maybe you can clarify with your contacts.

Firstly, the 2009 deadline only requires stations to broadcast in digital by 2009. There is no requirement (at this point) for stations to EVER broadcast in HD.

Secondly, WDAY is already broadcasting a digital signal on frequency 21 in addition to the channel 6 analog signal, so they have technically met the 2009 deadline AND they are broadcasting analog and digital at the same time. So something doesn't quite jive with the information you were given.

I'm trying to get some info on ABC and FOX from some people I know, and I'll post as soon as I hear anything.
post #418 of 1974 Old 02-03-2006, 08:31 AM

Can you tell me where at on frequency 21 WDAY is broadcasting? Thanks much!
post #419 of 1974 Old 02-03-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar02 View Post

From www.antennaweb.org:

Call Sign: WDAY-DT
Channel: 6.1
Network: ABC
City: FARGO
State: ND
Compass Orientation: 74°
Miles From: 1.6
Frequency Assignment: 21
post #420 of 1974 Old 02-03-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar02 View Post

I'm pretty sure it's just on channel 21.1. Keep in mind that this is just a digital broadcast, NOT an HD broadcast. It doesn't look much (if any) better than their analog broadcast.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page