Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #421 of 2005 Old 02-06-2006, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the Olympics almost here, has anyone heard any news/rumors, regarding CableOne & KVLY? I sure hope they are close to getting something done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2005 Old 02-07-2006, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got my monthly bill and only had a $5.00 increase, so not so bad after all...can't find last month's bill, with the details, so I can't do a direct comparison...
post #423 of 2005 Old 02-07-2006, 11:54 AM

Maybe the mailing was wrong and The Forum was right, that the DVR charge was remaining the same...
post #424 of 2005 Old 02-07-2006, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

With the Olympics almost here, has anyone heard any news/rumors, regarding CableOne & KVLY? I sure hope they are close to getting something done.

I went to CableOne's page this weekend and sent a comment to the Fargo office through the "contact us" link. I basically stated to them the same thing as I did in this post on the last page- also throwing in that I was aware that people in Horace on Midcontinent are getting 11 non-premium HD channels (including KVLY & KXJB) and we get 4. I am assuming INHD & HDNet are not premium channels.

They did respond back to my comment and stated "KVLY would not begin negotiating with us until the deal was done with MidCo. Since you have our HD service- KVLY will be made available to you at no additional cost." Great- that will someday bring us to 6 channels while the good folks in Horace get 11. The clock is ticking for me...
post #425 of 2005 Old 02-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Yeah man cableone is such a joke that any where else in ND you can enjoy hockey on OLN or even order the Center Ice package and get games in HD... or even on HDNet. Instead youre stuck with getting a wild game a few times a week if that. You would think the biggest city in the state would be ahead of a town with a population of 30. sigh...
post #426 of 2005 Old 02-10-2006, 07:14 AM

The sad part about it is if you discuss it for any length of time with anyone at CableOne, it's obvious that they don't have OLN just because they don't "like" OLN. They don't seem to care at all whether or not the people want to have it or not. Then they pull out that lame "vote" they did a couple years back to say that people don't want OLN...but that was before OLN had any programming that people would want to watch (Survivor replays, NHL, etc.)
post #427 of 2005 Old 02-10-2006, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hockey? Who watches that lame sport?

Speaking of hockey - I noticed in the Flargo Florum this morning that 490 (UHD) will be playing quite a bit of HD Olympics. Seems to be exclusively hockey (much of the games live). Of all of the televised sports that benefit most from HD, I would have to say that hockey has the most to gain.

Chances of me getting my new video card installed, purchasing a new antenna, placing that antenna in some ad hoc place to get NBC reception in time for the opening ceremonies tonight: 12% and dropping fast. Looking like SD for me tonight...

Hell, maybe I'll just skip it and watch the Arrested Development finale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

The sad part about it is if you discuss it for any length of time with anyone at CableOne, it's obvious that they don't have OLN just because they don't "like" OLN. They don't seem to care at all whether or not the people want to have it or not. Then they pull out that lame "vote" they did a couple years back to say that people don't want OLN...but that was before OLN had any programming that people would want to watch (Survivor replays, NHL, etc.)

post #428 of 2005 Old 02-10-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:

That is the same lame answer they give me...We did a survey and nobody wanted it.

I told them that the survey was done before OLN got the NHL rights and they say that they may think of it "in the future".

I may have to buck up and get DSL, so I can drop Cableone and get a dish...
post #429 of 2005 Old 02-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyT View Post

I may have to buck up and get DSL, so I can drop Cableone and get a dish...

I made that call about a year ago except I didn't switch to DSL. I just signed up for a new one year Cable internet commitment for $29.99 per month then dropeed the TV service. They didn't charge me any more for my internet despite dropping their TV service.

Now I'm using DirecTV and very happy with my HD channels. The only one I miss from CableOne is TNT HD.

I have a Media Center PC so don't use the HD PVR, but I understand that if you call up DirecTV and tell them you're thinking about switching they'll make it pretty easy/cheap to get into an HD PVR.
post #430 of 2005 Old 02-10-2006, 12:33 PM

You won't miss TNT-HD much longer! It's launching on DirecTV next week.
post #431 of 2005 Old 02-10-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

Of all of the televised sports that benefit most from HD, I would have to say that hockey has the most to gain.

I've heard that from people who've watched it, but I haven't seen that from watching NBC's crappy HD game a couple Saturdays ago. Hopefully their Olympic coverage will be great on UHD!
post #432 of 2005 Old 02-10-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbram View Post

I made that call about a year ago except I didn't switch to DSL. I just signed up for a new one year Cable internet commitment for $29.99 per month then dropeed the TV service. They didn't charge me any more for my internet despite dropping their TV service.

Now I'm using DirecTV and very happy with my HD channels. The only one I miss from CableOne is TNT HD.

I have a Media Center PC so don't use the HD PVR, but I understand that if you call up DirecTV and tell them you're thinking about switching they'll make it pretty easy/cheap to get into an HD PVR.

The ONLY other thing holding me back on Cableone is the Fighting Sioux Sports Network.
post #433 of 2005 Old 02-11-2006, 03:29 PM

HD coverage of the Olympics is looking good so far. Everything I've seen on NBC has been in HD, and the women's hockey on Universal HD looked great! Of course there's stuff on CNBC and USA that can't be in HD, but there's a lot of events that are all in HD.
post #434 of 2005 Old 02-11-2006, 07:56 PM

I've been surprised a how many commercials have been in HD! Normally I just fast-forward through them, but not the HD ones. I guess I'll watch anything that's in hi def!
post #435 of 2005 Old 02-13-2006, 07:18 AM

The Bud Shootout looked good on TNTHD yesterday. I can't wait until the Daytona 500. Too bad I have to watch FOX the first half of the year.
post #436 of 2005 Old 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've heard that CableONE and KVLY/KXJB are in formal negotiations now, rather than just complaining informally about each other. Obviously, they did not start this process soon enough for people to see the Olympics.

Frankly, with the recent rate increases from CableONE, I don't really know how one can afford to pay HD anyway. Other than sporting events most of the content is going to be on DVD in nearly as good a quality as HD and you'll probably save some money in the process.

Speaking of quality, looking at the official Olympic thread on the programming forum, I see that it is not just me and my equipment that has troubles with the NBC PQ. During the opening I was continually distracted by the macro blocking during fast motion; the same macro blocking I see during fast motion on normal NBC programming (like ER). Essentially, NBC is limiting the bandwidth somewhere. Based on the comments from others, I don't think this is KVLY limiting the bandwidth, but NBC corporate.

I will, however, give NBC a break on the half-pipe coverage. Taking a good still picture in the snow, facing the sun with lots of shadows is a nightmare. Imagine trying that with someone who is going in and out of the shadows, occasionally being framed by the sun.

On another note, I cannot get KXJB at all right now, and since I'm pretty sure I'll slip off my roof if I try to fix my antenna, I guess I'll be waiting until spring to get this problem fixed.

Later,
Brian G.
http://brian.glaeske.name/
post #437 of 2005 Old 02-15-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glaeske View Post

Frankly, with the recent rate increases from CableONE, I don't really know how one can afford to pay HD anyway. Other than sporting events most of the content is going to be on DVD in nearly as good a quality as HD and you'll probably save some money in the process.

DVD is not nearly as good quality as HD. DVD is 480i or 480p, and HD is 720p or 1080i, which is a lot better. HD DVD's are on the horizon which will actually have content in HD resolution, but current DVD's, while good, don't approach HD quality.

Also, the rates did recently go up but despite what the bill insert said, the HD rates appeared to stay the same.
post #438 of 2005 Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 AM

Just read a post on a Minneapolis HD forum, that is indicating there might possibly be 53+ Twins games this year in HD.

http://www.hdtvtwincities.com/forumb...pic.php?t=1958

If this info is accurate, we all need to e-mail CableOne, and persuade them to pick up FSN North HD.
post #439 of 2005 Old 02-16-2006, 08:48 AM

I would bend over backwards for the Twins in HD. I'm on DirecTV and if i'm correct the sports package with FSN's doesn't include any HD?

One other thought that I am curious about...

I requested a waiver through DirecTV to the local channels here to receive the HD broadcasts from NYC and LA (channels 80-89). Has anyone had any luck with this?
post #440 of 2005 Old 02-16-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po2ter View Post

I requested a waiver through DirecTV to the local channels here to receive the HD broadcasts from NYC and LA (channels 80-89). Has anyone had any luck with this?

You're unlikely to have any luck with that. It's my understanding that if you're capable of receiving the local stations (even if they're not in HD) then they won't approve your waiver. I've not tried this so maybe you'll get lucky.

A better (less ethical) way to do this is to "move". If Chicago is in our same spot beam you could theoretically call up DTV and tell them you've moved to Chicago. They'll then turn on the Chicago HD channels for you. Then, sign on to your account online and change your billing address back to Fargo. I've not tried this either, but every time I find myself watching WDAY I'm tempted. Oh, keep in mind that I think you'll need one of the newer MPEG4 receivers to pull in the Chicago HD signal.
post #441 of 2005 Old 02-16-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbram View Post

You're unlikely to have any luck with that. It's my understanding that if you're capable of receiving the local stations (even if they're not in HD) then they won't approve your waiver. I've not tried this so maybe you'll get lucky.

That's pretty much what I've heard too. From what I understand, you actually have to get the waiver from your local affiliates, not from DirecTV. The waiver basically is from your local affiliate authorizing DirecTV to give you the national network feed. There's no real incentive for the affiliate to approve this, so the approval rate is quite low.
post #442 of 2005 Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 PM

Hi everyone,
I've been reading this forum for a while and I like all the local information it contains. I thought I'd let you all know that I turned my TV on to Fox's digital signal tonight to discover it's in HD. My TV says it's a 720P HD signal. I also thought I'd let you guys know I subscribe to CableOne's basic 29.99/month cable and I can receive ESPN, TNT, UniversalHD, and PBS using my TV's built in QAM tuner, so that might be an option for people not willing to pay for the digital box.

Kris
post #443 of 2005 Old 03-04-2006, 09:47 AM

What frequency/channel are you seeing Fox on?
post #444 of 2005 Old 03-04-2006, 09:49 AM

The actual digital channel is the one Fox has been broadcasting on, 19.1. It shows up on my TV as 15.1 though.

Kris
post #445 of 2005 Old 03-04-2006, 09:55 AM

Looks like the signal isn't powerful enough to make it to Grand Forks. That's sad!
post #446 of 2005 Old 03-04-2006, 11:55 AM

Shoot. I'd love to test this but it looks like the next program in HD isn't until Sunday night.
post #447 of 2005 Old 03-04-2006, 05:22 PM

The NASCAR Busch series race Sunday afternoon should be in HD. If it is, this is great news about KVRR going HD.
post #448 of 2005 Old 03-05-2006, 05:33 PM

The FOX signal is very weak but I did just get it tuned in. They are broadcasting a 720p signal but not the HD feed. Malcolm in the Middle and Bad Boys II are both supposed to be in HD tonight, but I'm getting them in pillarboxed 4:3 - but the signal IS 720p which is a step in the right direction. I wasn't around during the race today - can anyone report on if it was in HD or not?
post #449 of 2005 Old 03-05-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:

The FOX signal is very weak but I did just get it tuned in. They are broadcasting a 720p signal but not the HD feed. Malcolm in the Middle and Bad Boys II are both supposed to be in HD tonight, but I'm getting them in pillarboxed 4:3 - but the signal IS 720p which is a step in the right direction. I wasn't around during the race today - can anyone report on if it was in HD or not?

The race was also letterboxed, but the picture quality was much better than a week ago.
post #450 of 2005 Old 03-06-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good catch krisschiele on noticing KVRR's new capability. I've updated the page to indicate that it seems like they're up to something.

I finally got my tuner up and running, yes I need a new tuner real bad. Quickly checking 24 I noticed that they seem to be broadcasting in HD (I would hope 720p) as they had a channel bug in the lower right of the screen, but alas 24 was in window-boxed 480i.

The PQ of the new seemed to be on par with KVLY's PQ.

Brian G.
http://brian.glaeske.name/ht
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page