Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #451 of 1996 Old 03-06-2006, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, we flipped over there on Sunday after reading the Krissssss's post as well - I'm curious to see exactly what they're doing as well because Bad Boys was MUCH better quality than the signal on ABC (well, that's not much). Couldn't tell by the naked eye for sure, but it almost looked to me that it was better than 480i quality. They couldn't do something like 720p and just have it non-widescreen could they? 720p Full-Frame??

It is nice to see some progress though - maybe they can actually get on Cable One and force KVLYKX4$$ to play their hand as well.... And then maybe sometime in '08 WDAY can get up and running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glaeske View Post

Good catch krisschiele on noticing KVRR's new capability. I've updated the page to indicate that it seems like they're up to something.

I finally got my tuner up and running, yes I need a new tuner real bad. Quickly checking 24 I noticed that they seem to be broadcasting in HD (I would hope 720p) as they had a channel bug in the lower right of the screen, but alas 24 was in window-boxed 480i.

The PQ of the new seemed to be on par with KVLY's PQ.

Brian G.
http://brian.glaeske.name/ht

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1996 Old 03-07-2006, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I called KVRR today to ask for an update on them broadcasting an HD signal. I told the receptionist that I was aware that some viewers were picking up a 720P signal from them and asked if I could talk to someone to obtain more information. She hesitated and then transferred me to an engineer. I explained what I had read here about a 720P signal and he indicated that they do have a 1K watt transmitter up and running most likely for testing purposes. It will be fall before they boost to 5M watt transmission. He asked that I not disseminate this information to far (and here I am blabbing it to you guys) as I'm sure they don't want a ton of calls about the limited range and perhaps limited offerings until they are fully up and running. I would guess you guys out in the general south Fargo area around KVRR should have pretty good luck. He also indicated we'd be watching football this fall in 720P glory. This is some sweet stuff, we've come a long way in the last 6-8 months. Now, only one left
post #453 of 1996 Old 03-07-2006, 05:32 PM

Great info!

I don't know why all the secrecy - it's not like people were scanning the airwaves looking for digital signals or anything. Isn't this the same digital channel that they've been "advertising" for a couple of years now? I remember talking to the guy at Nodak, jeese, at least two years ago, and he was talking about how Fox was broadcasting digitally then....

Don't tell anyone though... Deny deny deny!

I wonder if any of the local engineers read this thread...
post #454 of 1996 Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I told the receptionist that I was aware that some viewers were picking up a 720P signal from them and asked if I could talk to someone to obtain more information. She hesitated and then transferred me to an engineer.

That must be a first. The KVRR receptionist is pretty solid about not letting people talk to anyone. Another source indicated summer. Not sure why KVRR would tease us with a 720p upconverted signal. But it sure does look sweet!

Quote:

It is nice to see some progress though - maybe they can actually get on Cable One and force KVLYKX4$$ to play their hand as well...

I think it will be more like CableONE will finally give. I would bet that KVRR will be asking for the same deal as the other two. Definitely expect that WDAY will request a fee for CableONE to carry, that is if they can get up and running before 2009.

Brian G.
http://brian.glaeske.name/ht/
post #455 of 1996 Old 03-08-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

I explained what I had read here about a 720P signal and he indicated that they do have a 1K watt transmitter up and running most likely for testing purposes. It will be fall before they boost to 5M watt transmission.

I knew it was a really weak signal Couldn't they at least put the HD feed on their weak signal for testing, so those of us with antennas balanced just so can get some FOX HD programming? Of course they'd need to have the HD reception capability and all that, but it would be nice.
post #456 of 1996 Old 03-08-2006, 06:48 PM

Hmm, they must be reading this, because it looks to me that they're broadcasting American Idol in HD now...not a good signal but there are no bars on the side and it's a 16:9 signal, looks sharper than normal too.
post #457 of 1996 Old 03-08-2006, 07:18 PM

I just read the Fox info and tuned in to see that Bones is shown in a 16:9 format. It did switch over to 4:3 for about a minute before going back to 16:9. I noticed that when it's it in 16:9 it has a Fox/KVRR/KNRR logo compared to a basic Fox logo when it's 4:3.
post #458 of 1996 Old 03-08-2006, 07:20 PM

I noticed the logo too. Weird because during American Idol it was in 16:9 with a generic FOX logo, but during Bones it's a KVRR logo. Maybe a difference between live and recorded programming...
post #459 of 1996 Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 PM

This question may be premature, but does anyone know how the UPN/WB merger to The CW will affect the local broadcasting. I'd really like to have a HD UPN/CW feed to watch Veronica Mars. Based on the lack of progress with WDAY, I'm hoping we're not stuck with the WBFG getting the rights to The CW since Veronica Mars will be off the air before we see a local CW HD feed.
post #460 of 1996 Old 03-09-2006, 09:33 AM

I got it last night too! Idol in HD and 5.1 - looked and sounded GREAT! Now if only they were testing it during 24. Did anyone get all of Idol in HD? I only got about the last half hour or so, I noticed it popped on a few times in the first half which made me go play with my antenna. I noticed the logo thing too. I was watching Criminal Minds instead of Bones though, but everytime i flipped back they were still going 16:9 HD.
MORE KVRR --- MORE!!
post #461 of 1996 Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natelv View Post

Now if only they were testing it during 24.

Confirmed. 24 in HD. Well, it was a little flakey. It dropped down to SD for a few minutes near the beginning then back to HD, but for the most part it was looking very nice!
post #462 of 1996 Old 03-15-2006, 07:20 AM

Double confirmed! Prison Break was in HD also on monday, Idol was last night as well, lets see if KVRR can continue their welcomed new trend.
post #463 of 1996 Old 03-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Is KVLY having troubles with their signal for the last week or so my signal is been in the 20's to ZERo...and it has no digital signal... it was usually in the 60's

i am in GF
post #464 of 1996 Old 03-21-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnote96 View Post

Is KVLY having troubles with their signal for the last week or so my signal is been in the 20's to ZERo...and it has no digital signal... it was usually in the 60's

i am in GF

I have had issues with their signal as well in West Fargo. Has been spotty, but I have certainly missed recording a couple of things as a result.
post #465 of 1996 Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 AM

Anyone heard any updated news, in the negotiations between CableOne & KVLY/KXJB? I haven't heard anything, and was just kind of curious where they might be at.
post #466 of 1996 Old 03-24-2006, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I just ordered an ATSC HD card for my media center PC yesterday and will get a ratshack antenna that someone else in this forum had good luck with. I'm tired of waiting for CableOne to get their act together. I'll be returning my HD-DVR and my second digital receiver and dropping back to analog cable as soon as I get the other stuff up and running. I am then going to look at Dish Network at a later time. Now that I've made that decision and started heading down one road- you can be sure that they'll have them added within weeks

HDsportsguide.com shows that most of the rest of the NCAA BB tourney will be broadcast in 1080i on CBS. They're also doing the Masters this year using hand held HD cameras for the first time. Here is the press release on the Masters coverage.
post #467 of 1996 Old 03-26-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

I just ordered an ATSC HD card for my media center PC yesterday and will get a ratshack antenna that someone else in this forum had good luck with. I'm tired of waiting for CableOne to get their act together. I'll be returning my HD-DVR and my second digital receiver and dropping back to analog cable as soon as I get the other stuff up and running. I am then going to look at Dish Network at a later time. Now that I've made that decision and started heading down one road- you can be sure that they'll have them added within weeks

HDsportsguide.com shows that most of the rest of the NCAA BB tourney will be broadcast in 1080i on CBS. They're also doing the Masters this year using hand held HD cameras for the first time. Here is the press release on the Masters coverage.

If you are using Window Media Center you might want to take a look at DirectTV instead of Dish. They announced some integration plans at CES
post #468 of 1996 Old 03-26-2006, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreePutt View Post

If you are using Window Media Center you might want to take a look at DirectTV instead of Dish. They announced some integration plans at CES

Interesting... thanks for pointing that out. I had heard some rumblings to that effect but had not investigated them. I was basing my initial preference on that Dish seems to have a lot more HD offerings (VOOM) than DirecTV although I'm sure 1/2 of them are eye candy material and nothing more. Perhaps I'll have to wait and see how that marriage pans out.

Thanks!
post #469 of 1996 Old 04-01-2006, 04:37 PM

5:30 on Saturday night - Anyone getting CBS tonight? Signal strength on MCE says it's pretty good, but no picture. I called KX4 and their tech guys are watching the game on their OTA signal - he said something about some device that does their channel mapping stuff (I didn't really follow) and he said if that has problems then there might be issues pulling in the signal.

Just curious if anyone else here is watching any nice Final Four action tonight...
post #470 of 1996 Old 04-01-2006, 04:48 PM

Same here - I'm getting good signal strength, but my receiver says it can't detect a signal, so I get no picture.
post #471 of 1996 Old 04-02-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

5:30 on Saturday night - Anyone getting CBS tonight? Signal strength on MCE says it's pretty good, but no picture. I called KX4 and their tech guys are watching the game on their OTA signal - he said something about some device that does their channel mapping stuff (I didn't really follow) and he said if that has problems then there might be issues pulling in the signal.

Just curious if anyone else here is watching any nice Final Four action tonight...

When I tried between 6:30 and 8:30 my MCE said it wasn't getting any signal for CBS. All the other OTA DTV signals were fine.
post #472 of 1996 Old 04-02-2006, 08:34 PM

Still nothing on CBS for me.
post #473 of 1996 Old 04-03-2006, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm using a DirecTV receiver and haven't had any problems with the KX HD feed.
post #474 of 1996 Old 04-04-2006, 12:44 PM

I'm wondering if this is an MCE vs. the Rest of the World thing right now - can anyone else chime in with success/problems on MCE vs. another kind of receiver?

A friend talked to the dude at KX4 and they're watching on a non-MCE computer (not sure what app they were using) using the same external vbox USB card that I'm using and he's not having any problems.

I can't test this out until I get home on Thursday, but MAN am I going to be crushed if I can't watch the Masters this weekend.....!
post #475 of 1996 Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 PM

I'm not using MCE - I'm using an old Voom receiver that had been working fine up until about Saturday. I'll try again tonight, but I did check last night for a couple minutes and didn't get anything.
post #476 of 1996 Old 04-04-2006, 06:34 PM

I've been watching KXJB-DT on channel 38. It appears their PSIP mapping to channel 4-1 isn't working properly. SpedInFargo referenced channel mapping issues in his post above as well.

For me to "find" KXJB, I just used the channel up button and saw it. If it isn't there, you might try adding the channel from your tuner's setup menu.

I'm using a Dish Network 811 sat/OTA receiver.
post #477 of 1996 Old 04-04-2006, 08:55 PM

I'm not able to add channels manually - I'm bound by the channel mappings discovered by a channel scan.

Are they mapping to a different channel or not mapping at all? If they're mapping differently I can do another scan...
post #478 of 1996 Old 04-04-2006, 09:28 PM

You might try another channel scan. KXJB is assigned to UHF channel 38. It should show up there. I did an auto-scan for digital channels on my 811 a few minutes ago to see what would happen and it found channel 38. It still wouldln't put it at channel 4-1 like it used to originally.
post #479 of 1996 Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM

Ah yes - PSIP is indeed the term that he used when I called him on Saturday night. I plan to try another program besides MCE to see if I can pull in the signal when I get home on Thursday night... If anyone finds an easy solution in MCE please post!
post #480 of 1996 Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM

Here are a couple threads I found on PSIP and MCE stuff - who wants to volunteer to talk to the dudes at KX? The first one is pretty much an identical situation that we seem to be in...
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...25&TopicPage=2

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...73#post7235573

Tough week man - loss of HD signal in Fargo during Final Four and Masters week. What's next.... Floods??
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page