Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #571 of 1977 Old 07-21-2006, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, my name is Aaron, and I am a television addict.

I'll be moving from Dallas to Fargo in a few weeks and I'm trying to collect some information on the TV scene up there so I can make the transition as seamless as possible.

I currently subscribe to DirecTV (including locals and the east coast feeds for NBC, ABC, and CBS). I also receive locals OTA including every major and minor network in the area (which means there are at least a half-dozen channels that I will NEVER watch).

What I'm wondering is what the options are in Fargo. It appears that the 4 majors are all being broadcast OTA in HD. That's awesome. We're looking at the south Fargo area as a place to live (I'll be working at Microsoft and will try to live fairly close to there). Does anyone have any experience with reception in that area?

I'm also wondering about the cable offering. It looks like they use the same crappy Motorola hardware that Comcast uses down here. Apparently software makes a big difference, though, so I'm curious on people's satisfaction with their cable experience. How much does it cost to just get "lifeline" cable in case I have trouble with locals OTA?

I guess that's it for now, unless anyone has information on what my Cowboy-watching options are (besides the Sunday Ticket. That's a last resort). It looks like several of the Cowboy games are scheduled for national presentation, but I'm skeptical as to how accurate the "national" moniker really is.
[Disclaimer: Yes, I love the Cowboys and Stars, and yes, I hate the Vikings. Please save any team loyalty related flames for the bar on Sunday afternoon. ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1977 Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 PM

If it's any consolation, the stars were originally from this area so you should find quite a few fans of theirs ( as well as MN Wild fans ) around here.
post #573 of 1977 Old 07-24-2006, 05:50 AM

Hey Aaron, Welcome (soon) to the Fargo/Moorhead area. Yes, CableOne does use Motorola set top boxes. I have had pretty good luck with mine, the 6412 HD DVR model, and for the most part it just works like it should. CableOne does carry the local NBC, CBS, and PBS affiliate HD signals. They are working on adding the FOX affiliate's HD signal. No word yet on them carrying the ABC affiliate's HD signal. The only downfall is the lack of a lot of Cable HD channels. Right now they only offer ESPN-HD, TNT-HD, & Universal HD.
post #574 of 1977 Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 AM

I also have had good luck with the Motorola 6412 box I'm using now, although the one I had before this one went out on me, so sometimes it might be a little trial and error before finding a good box.

As for the Lifeline service, I'm pretty sure they offer it but I'm not sure how much it costs. The website doesn't appear to list it (www.cableone.net) - the cheapest price they quote is $42.50 for basic cable, but I think they have a cheaper one available if you ask.

No matter where you live in town you should get good OTA signal if you have a decent antenna. It's so flat up here that you'll get good signals almost anywhere, unless you're near big buildings.
post #575 of 1977 Old 07-25-2006, 12:13 PM

I think you'll have good luck with the Cowboys up here. As a fellow fan, last season I think I was able to watch all but one of the games with cableone. I also had a good experience with the motorola 6412 cableone uses other than frequent hiccups with the DVR. I've since left and gone to dish, but cableone isn't too bad, provided they up their HD offerings a bit.

Also, OTA reception in town is pretty good. I'm just south of 32nd by Southpointe and I can pick up all local HD with an antenna mounted in my attic.
post #576 of 1977 Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbilt View Post

Hello, my name is Aaron, and I am a television addict.

I'll be moving from Dallas to Fargo in a few weeks and I'm trying to collect some information on the TV scene up there so I can make the transition as seamless as possible.

I currently subscribe to DirecTV (including locals and the east coast feeds for NBC, ABC, and CBS). I also receive locals OTA including every major and minor network in the area (which means there are at least a half-dozen channels that I will NEVER watch).

What I'm wondering is what the options are in Fargo. It appears that the 4 majors are all being broadcast OTA in HD. That's awesome. We're looking at the south Fargo area as a place to live (I'll be working at Microsoft and will try to live fairly close to there). Does anyone have any experience with reception in that area?

I'm also wondering about the cable offering. It looks like they use the same crappy Motorola hardware that Comcast uses down here. Apparently software makes a big difference, though, so I'm curious on people's satisfaction with their cable experience. How much does it cost to just get "lifeline" cable in case I have trouble with locals OTA?

I guess that's it for now, unless anyone has information on what my Cowboy-watching options are (besides the Sunday Ticket. That's a last resort). It looks like several of the Cowboy games are scheduled for national presentation, but I'm skeptical as to how accurate the "national" moniker really is.
[Disclaimer: Yes, I love the Cowboys and Stars, and yes, I hate the Vikings. Please save any team loyalty related flames for the bar on Sunday afternoon. ]

Welcome Aaron! I too work for MSFT and sent you a private message with some additional information you may find helpful on your move to Fargo. Best of luck and take care...
post #577 of 1977 Old 07-28-2006, 05:18 PM

Way to go CableOne. Tonight is the start of the biggest Twins series of the year, against Detroit, and FSN is going two games in HD (Friday & Saturday), but not on CableOne. FSN just did the "Presented in HD" banner thing, and read off the cable providers carrying it, which includes MidCo, but no CableOne. Ugh.
post #578 of 1977 Old 07-29-2006, 11:56 PM

Got a question for you guys. I have an LG lst 3100 box that I am receiving QAM from cableone on. It works great for everything except TNT HD. For some reason, when a movie is playing on that channel, there is no audio. As soon as the movie is over, the audio returns. If it is just a tv show like Law and Order, the audio is there. Even the TNT original stuff like their Nightmares and Dreamscapes miniseries has audio. Blade 2 was on the other night, and had no audio. Tonight the replacements was on and currently A knights Tale is playing. Both have no audio. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this somethign I should call Cableone about? I don't believe it's my box since every other channel works fine, and TNT works as well, when a movie isn't on. Do those of you with the cableone HD boxes have this problem?
post #579 of 1977 Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 AM

I've never had any audio issues with TNTHD on my CableOne HD DVR box.
post #580 of 1977 Old 07-31-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbacklund View Post

If it's any consolation, the stars were originally from this area so you should find quite a few fans of theirs ( as well as MN Wild fans ) around here.

And Norm Green STILL sucks........
post #581 of 1977 Old 07-31-2006, 06:41 PM

Ok........so I've read everywhere that has anything to do with HD in Fargo I live on the third floor of an apt building 1 block north of FOX - so far I get

CBS 4.1
NBC 11.1
PBS 13.1, 13.2, 13.3
FOX 19.1

I currently own a Terk HDTVa antenna. I have attempted to get ABC (WDAY 6.1) by pointing my antenna in all directions and re-doing the channel scan (all this does is make me lose my other HD channels). I cannot seem to get it (ABC). Does anyone know of a way to manually program a Samsung internal HDTV Tuner? I also read that it matters what time of day you attempt to get the signal? No Idea how that one works? Or is WDAY only doing HDTV for special reasons (i.e. World Cup).

HELP PLEASE
post #582 of 1977 Old 08-01-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

akielb-

Typing in your approximate address to antennaweb.org shows that the WDAY tower is roughly SW-SSW of you and should be in the same general direction as KVRR. Not sure why you cannot get them. I use an MCE PC with an outdoor antenna, am WAY up in north Fargo and can get 6.1 fine. WDAY also broadcasts their SD signal on 6.2. Any time that WDAY is on the air- I can get their signal on 6.1. It goes 16:9 and HD for certain ABC programming but otherwise defaults to a letterboxed SD signal. Perhaps searching the HDTV Reception Hardware forum for your Samsung model number could yield some clues. Sorry if that doesn't help at all.

Good luck!
post #583 of 1977 Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

I've never had any audio issues with TNTHD on my CableOne HD DVR box.

Same here
post #584 of 1977 Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Got a question for you guys. I have an LG lst 3100 box that I am receiving QAM from cableone on. It works great for everything except TNT HD. For some reason, when a movie is playing on that channel, there is no audio. As soon as the movie is over, the audio returns. If it is just a tv show like Law and Order, the audio is there. Even the TNT original stuff like their Nightmares and Dreamscapes miniseries has audio. Blade 2 was on the other night, and had no audio. Tonight the replacements was on and currently A knights Tale is playing. Both have no audio. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this somethign I should call Cableone about? I don't believe it's my box since every other channel works fine, and TNT works as well, when a movie isn't on. Do those of you with the cableone HD boxes have this problem?

I've got an LG3510 DVD/HD tuner and I lose the audio on TNTHD quite a bit also. I know it worked fine when HBO-HD was broadcasting unencrypted one weekend.
post #585 of 1977 Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 AM

Hmm. Must be an incompatibility between Cableone and the LG boxes. Glad to hear it's not just me. Is this something that we can contact Cableone about? I don't pay for the HD DVR box, so will they even help me with this, or just pass it off as not their problem since it isn't their equipment?
post #586 of 1977 Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 AM

You can ask them about it, but I'd expect them to not do much since it's not their equipment, and since their equipment is working fine. I don't know enough about cable systems to know what might be going on, but maybe some frequency they're using for TNT isn't working right or something.
post #587 of 1977 Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 PM

Thanks to those who replied. I'm a bit relieved to not have seen any "Dude, why would you move to Fargo?" posts.

From what I hear, CableOne doesn't have much to offer. That's good to know. I've been happy with my DirecTV service and if I can get the locals OTA then I'll be set.

The only thing I don't know about is installation. Pretty much every place we looked at had cable wiring, but none had the dual feeds for two-tuner TiVo's. Has anyone had luck bringing DirecTV in through the existing cable wiring? If it's new enough, I would think it would be RG6, so it shouldn't be a problem, except for any splitters.

Aaron
post #588 of 1977 Old 08-04-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I have been having problems with my TNT HD, but I have the Motorola box. I get a black screen with "This channel should be available shortly".

I have no other problems on any other HD channels...?
post #589 of 1977 Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 AM

TNT should have movies on again this weekend. If I have the audio problem, I'll call them to see what is going on. Hopefully this will clear up a few issues.
post #590 of 1977 Old 08-04-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyT View Post

I have been having problems with my TNT HD, but I have the Motorola box. I get a black screen with "This channel should be available shortly".

I have no other problems on any other HD channels...?

I got this sometimes on TNTHD, starting soon after they added KXJBDT and KVLYDT I think. I think they moved TNTHD up to a much higher frequency, so if you have older or cheaper cables or splitters it could block or disrupt that frequency. Try hooking the cable to your cable box more directly and see if it helps. This could also be the cause of the problem on the LG boxes - you'd have to try to find out if there's some frequencies it doesn't accept or something.
post #591 of 1977 Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

I got this sometimes on TNTHD, starting soon after they added KXJBDT and KVLYDT I think. I think they moved TNTHD up to a much higher frequency, so if you have older or cheaper cables or splitters it could block or disrupt that frequency. Try hooking the cable to your cable box more directly and see if it helps. This could also be the cause of the problem on the LG boxes - you'd have to try to find out if there's some frequencies it doesn't accept or something.

I don't think this has anything to do with the LG box problem, since the channel works fine except for when they are playing a movie. Everything else on the channel comes through without issue.
post #592 of 1977 Old 08-04-2006, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I just checked this evening since there is a movie (The Mummy) on THT-HD right now. I am having no audio issues with the Cable One Moto HD/DVR box, it sounds fine. You can tell it is their weird aspect ratio, upconverted signal which is rather crappy but the audio is fine. I went through all the HD channels and my receiver just shows Dolby Digital for ESPN, TNT and UHD while it show Dolby Digital and Prologic II for KXJB, KVLY and KFME.
post #593 of 1977 Old 08-05-2006, 12:17 AM

Is there anybody from Grand Forks here? I do like the lineup that Midco has, but can you say HD Lite? I had Dish Network before and Midco just looks like ass. Dvds look better then HDNet. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed.
post #594 of 1977 Old 08-05-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr hypothesis View Post

Is there anybody from Grand Forks here? I do like the lineup that Midco has, but can you say HD Lite? I had Dish Network before and Midco just looks like ass. Dvds look better then HDNet. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed.

Do you know how much bandwidth they're giving each HD channel? They may be splitting each 6 MHz chunk into 3 HD channels instead of 2, which can greatly compromise quality. Say what you want about CableOne's lineup, the picture quality on the HD channels is at least good - I'm pretty sure they're doing 2 HD channels per 6 MHz chunk, which ends up at around 38 Mbps in bandwidth.
post #595 of 1977 Old 08-05-2006, 12:42 PM

I sent them an email after the initial installation to complain how they looked. They sent a 'tech' guy over the next day to check things out. He thought everything looked fine. Sometimes things look okay, other times things look bad. Kinda hit or miss. Makes me glad they're not charging anything for the HD channels.
post #596 of 1977 Old 08-06-2006, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
In the process of finally updating all the HDTV stations nationally and the new CW and MNTV affiliations. Can't believe the turnaround in Fargo.

What I can't tell from Brian's status page is whether abc, abc and nbc are sending DD5.1 - can someone check that for me and post here?
post #597 of 1977 Old 08-06-2006, 04:22 PM

NBC sends out dd 5.1, as does CBS. Not sure about ABC, can't get it where I'm at.
post #598 of 1977 Old 08-09-2006, 11:46 AM

Does any here live in Osgood and know what the OTA reception is like out there? We'll be moving in the middle of Sept. and setting up the DirecTv antenna then.
post #599 of 1977 Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What's the latest on the signal that ABC is broadcasting? Is it still doing channel 6.1 (HD) only whenever there's a true HD feed coming through and then blank otherwise?

I finally got a new antenna hooked up last night (I live near the intersection of 13th Ave S. and 10th St.) and pointed it to the northwest. I was able to pull in NBC, CBS, PBS pretty well - Fox OK too I think. But ABC was pretty much nothing - although I can't remember if there should have been anything being broadcast in HD or not when I was testing it. I was able to get 6.2 and 6.3 but those were a bit flaky...

Even if it is up and running, is this still their "not ready for primetime" strengthed signal? I'd like to be able to have their signal come new TV season since about the only TV shows we watch anymore is on ABC...
post #600 of 1977 Old 08-09-2006, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbuster View Post

Does any here live in Osgood and know what the OTA reception is like out there? We'll be moving in the middle of Sept. and setting up the DirecTv antenna then.

I have friends that live just north of Osgood (north of the Interstate in West Fargo) and I think it's a pretty location for all the channels - esp. CBS, NBC, and PBS to the northwest. You might have challenges with Fox from there (but probably not), and then who knows with ABC...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page