Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 21 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard anything new on Fox on cableone yet? I remember someone saying that Cableone was going to be adding it "shortly".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reminder: Vikings are on ESPN's first ever Monday Night Football broadcast this week (which probably won't be much different from their Sunday Night Football broadcasts). For those of you who are OTA-only folks...

Speaking of which, I flipped back and forth between the Twins game (which, ahem, was in HD "where available") and the Rams/Colts game on Fox - was VERY happy to see that my Fox reception is pretty solid - only one very tiny glitch (which may not have been my setup's fault) and very consistent picture all the way around. I was pretty happy to see that my perceived "softness" of the picture wasn't just our station's issue - in reading a couple of threads it sounds like Fox's football coverage has always been kinda crappy. The softness was duly noted and discussed at length. Flipping between the White Sox game on ESPN and the football game on Fox was night and day different.

Of course it still looked a bit better than the standard def Twins feed I was watching...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 PM

Was the Twins game last night marketed as in HD where available? I was wondering because I happened to flip to ESPNHD at about the fifth inning of the Twins game and they were showing "bonus coverage" from FSN North (the ESPN game was in a rain delat), but it was in SD not HD. Earlier they were showing bonus coverage of the Red Sox from NESN and that WAS in HD. So it's not like they can't get HD bonus coverage (but maybe they can't from FSN yet). Does anyone know?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What's up with KXJB? There not showing the HD feed of the Pats/Falcons preseason game.

Update: Just switched to HD at 7:12pm
Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 PM

Tonights Vikings game on ESPNHD should be great. I believe that ESPN is also doing Monday Night Countdown in HD, on location this year. All the HD shots from inside the Metrodome should be interesting.

Also, has anyone heard anything on the status of KVRR being added to the CableOne lineup? NFL opening weekend is just 4 weeks away. I sure hope they get it on by then.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 AM

I noticed over the weekend, that channel 475 - KVRR, has been removed from the program guide on my cable box. I hope this isn't a bad sign, in getting KVRR-DT, added before the NFL season starts.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:47 AM

I talked to CableONE and they said they have an agreement to broadcast KVRR-DT but are waiting to get it signed (by KVRR) before they can start broadcasting it. I'm not sure what that has to do with it coming off the program guide, but that's the word for now.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

I talked to CableONE and they said they have an agreement to broadcast KVRR-DT but are waiting to get it signed (by KVRR) before they can start broadcasting it. I'm not sure what that has to do with it coming off the program guide, but that's the word for now.

I also talked to a guy yesterday (salesperson) who stated the same. When I asked him about football he said that he fully anticipates that it will be in place in time for football season.

He had no information on ABC.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

What's the latest on the signal that ABC is broadcasting? Is it still doing channel 6.1 (HD) only whenever there's a true HD feed coming through and then blank otherwise? .... I was able to get 6.2 and 6.3 but those were a bit flaky...

Even if it is up and running, is this still their "not ready for primetime" strengthed signal? I'd like to be able to have their signal come new TV season since about the only TV shows we watch anymore is on ABC...

Correct. The last I heard was December for the full strength transmitter for WDAY. Also remember that they are broadcasting from a transmitter located at 40th AVE S and University. Strange that you're getting 6.2 and 6.3.

The fact that they are broadcasting the SD signal on 6.2 is strange. I'm not sure what their reasons are? I hope they realize that all DTV boxes can downconvert a HD signal to SD.

Brian G.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:14 PM

The Wikipedia page about WDAY, says that they will be broadcasting the CW on 6.2, come September when the WB switches to the CW. I wonder if they are possibly doing testing for that.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:05 PM

So I've made it to Fargo now. Things are slowly starting to feel normal again as we continue to unpack what seems like an endless supply of cardboard boxes. Getting DirecTV installed has really made it feel more like home, but I have a problem...

On the DirecTV program guide there is no listing for channel 6-1 (this is on the HR10-250 HD Tivo). There is channel 6 (WDAY), channel 8 (WDAZ), but no 6-1, 6-2, or 6-3 (I think this is one of the sub-channels).

They typically do show digital OTA channels and their respective sub-channels in the guide. For KVRR they show 15 (via DirecTV locals), 15-1 (ant.), 15-2 (ant.) as well as a slew of digital channels for PBS. I can tune to these channels via the guide and watch whats currently on. I can't figure a way to try to tune the channel(s) directly via the remote (there is no way to type in the dash).

I did check the signal strangth via the TiVo interface and am getting a solid 80 on frequency 21, so that's not the problem.

It's my understanding that they only show programming on that channel when they are showing stuff in HD, so my hope is that I didn't see it because there wasn't anything on at that time.

Someone out there has to have seen this before. Please help!

EDIT: OK, I'm an idiot. I found the menu option to scan for channels and now I see them all in the guide. DUH!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 AM

Got up this morning, saw the message light on my HD-DVR box, and thought "hmmm maybe new news about KVRR-DT being added?" But no, just a showtime preview. ugh. It's looking less and less likely that we'll see KVRR-DT being added in time for the Sunday FOX NFL games.

There is still 4 days to go ... maybe they will prove me wrong !!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:20 AM

I sent Scott Geston at Cable One a message asking about the status of KVRR now that NFL has begun.

Quote:

We too are anxiously awaiting to go ahead from FOX. I have a call into them and have not yet heard back. On a good note the paperwork was signed.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:58 AM

They previously said everything was ready to go but the paperwork wasn't signed. Now that it apparently is signed, what's the holdup??
Old 09-20-2006, 07:28 AM

Hmmm, whatever the holdup with KVRR is, is must be signifigant. It's now a week later, and still no signs of KVRR-DT. With the Vikings/Bears matchup on FOX HD Sunday, I am optimistically looking forward to them getting this done this week. ugh.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched the Panthers game OTA through my Media Center PC on Sunday. There was nothing on HDsportsguide.com or anywhere else that I could find that indicated the Panthers game would be in HD. I was surprised to find that it was although I don't think the quality of the image was quite up to what I've seen in the past on FOX in HD. My projector also seems to do a better job with 1080i broadcasts than 720P. I see that HDsportsguide.com shows the Bears game will be in HD this week on FOX. Sure would be nice to see Cable One get off their butts and get this added for those who do not have the option of OTA.

Go Vikes!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM

Last Sunday's Vikings/Panthers game was not in HD. FOX only has the ability to do 6 NFL games in HD each Sunday. If there are more than 6, any additional games are in SD widescreen. The Vikings/Panthers game was considered the 7th game, and was only in SD widescreen.

Here is the web site that I got this information from ....
http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/
Old 09-20-2006, 02:50 PM

Personally, I thought it looked awesome. Then again, I was at the game.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

Last Sunday's Vikings/Panthers game was not in HD. FOX only has the ability to do 6 NFL games in HD each Sunday. If there are more than 6, any additional games are in SD widescreen. The Vikings/Panthers game was considered the 7th game, and was only in SD widescreen.

Here is the web site that I got this information from ....
http://www.gribblenation.net/nflmaps/

Huh... Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was such a thing as SD widescreen. I could tell the the image quality was not all there on that Panthers game.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

The Wikipedia page about WDAY, says that they will be broadcasting the CW on 6.2, come September when the WB switches to the CW. I wonder if they are possibly doing testing for that.

Yes. 6-2 contains "The CW" programming. Does the CW have any HD programming? I don't think they have the bandwidth for two 720p channels.

Not much from CableONE. They are essentially in a waiting mode. I've asked why they even have to bother with the permission from the stations and just cite the "must carry" laws. It'll be interesting to see the answer I get to that.

Brian G.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:22 AM

As far as I know, the CW will have some shows in HD. I would imagine a lot like that the WB did in HD. Unless WDAY gets a seperate channel for the CW, I'm sure we wont see it in HD. Putting two 720p channels in that bandwidth, would result in both looking pretty bad. I just hope the regular CW channel doesn't pull too much bandwidth away from the primary HD signal.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 AM

I'm starting to think that maybe we're barking up the wrong tree with contact CableOne. Since they are waiting for something from KVRR, maybe we should contact them? If we all call them up at 701-277-1515, maybe they will get their @$$3$ in gear!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM

Much of the CW is in HD nationally - I can't imagine that WDAY will be broadcasting it in HD on 6-2 but I could be proven wrong... Veronica Mars is a current fave of mine (watch it before it's gone - only 13 episodes ordered for this year) so it would be nice to pull in an HD signal for that. Maybe WDAY will surprise the hell out of us and pipe that through Cable One when they get their ABC feed going sometime in 2009.

I agree with calling both Cable One and Fox - I have a feeling that Cable One is pulling the old "it's Fox's fault" since they're not ready. Good question on the "why do you even have to ask them at all" Brian...
Old 09-22-2006, 12:20 PM

I imagine you can't just start broadcasting a signal without permission, whether it be a cable network or over-the-air. And the HD signal is a new signal, you can't use the old agreement for the SD channel.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:09 PM

Well, one week later, and anyone heard anything from either KVRR or CableOne yet? With the MLB playoffs starting next week, that's one more reason to have KVRR-DT. I guess I am just getting impatient. Ugh
Old 10-03-2006, 07:43 AM

Does anyone know the status of WDAY or KVRR being added to the Midco lineup in the Red River Valley? I emailed Midco and received a reply this morning:

Midcontinent Communications is working on adding more HD Networks. At this
time we don't have any exact date for any additions. We will let our
subscribers know when this information is available. If we can further
assist you, please let us know.

I realize they might not have exact dates, but estimates would have been nice. I'd like to know if it will happen in 2006. Where I'm located (Mayville), I get an excellent signal from KVLY and KXJB, but everything else OTA is non-existant.

Midco's HD channels they do have are excellent, though.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 PM

As of a couple days ago CableOne is still saying they're waiting for authorization from KVRR...grr
Old 10-04-2006, 06:38 AM

Has anyone tried calling KVRR? Just curious what they have to say about the situation.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:55 AM

Yes, it would be interesting to hear KVRR's take on the situation.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:55 AM

Does anyone want to rent a van, drive by both places, throw the players in the back, drive to a neutral location and ask if they've even bothered talking to each other yet? Chripes.

On a side note, the baseball game looked pretty damn sweet in HD on Fox last night (even if it was the Yankees). That might have been the first baseball I've seen on Fox-HD before... (Watching on OTA)