Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #661 of 2005 Old 12-11-2006, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't seen those ads yet - where are they advertising that?

I would assume that those three networks combined cost CableOne less than just one of the other two you mentioned. Oh, wait, maybe it's the hundreds of people who requested HGTV in HD...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2005 Old 12-11-2006, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The posting was in the Sioux City IA. thread, so it must have been a commercial that was run down there. I haven't seen anything here locally advertised.
post #663 of 2005 Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM

Looks like FSN North is planning 43 Twins games in HD in 2007.

http://www.startribune.com/129/story/831759.html
post #664 of 2005 Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 PM

Good news - the more content FSN puts on in HD the more pressure we (and they) can put on CableONE to carry it. I just sent off an e-mail saying just that.
post #665 of 2005 Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Hello fellow F-M folks. I have just installed DirecTV and have to recieve OTA locals (which is CableOne's only HD advantage). I get everything fine except for KVLY. Anyone else finding trouble getting KVLY OTA in HD?
post #666 of 2005 Old 12-14-2006, 05:41 PM

I live in GF and i have trouble with KVLY all the time....
post #667 of 2005 Old 12-15-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImABison View Post

Hello fellow F-M folks. I have just installed DirecTV and have to recieve OTA locals (which is CableOne's only HD advantage). I get everything fine except for KVLY. Anyone else finding trouble getting KVLY OTA in HD?

ImABison, I also have DirecTv HD (very happy with HD quality) and am also trying to align my HD antenna. I can pick up everything but KXJB. I have a 75-80% reading on KVLY, compared to the 90's for everything else.

I think I'm pointing about 280-285 degrees. When I pointed NW, around 310 degrees, I could only get KX and PBS. When I moved it in between, I lost KX and FOX, so I'm having a hard time figuring out where to point. I wonder if I should try pointing more N/NW.
post #668 of 2005 Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron View Post

I think I'm pointing about 280-285 degrees. When I pointed NW, around 310 degrees, I could only get KX and PBS. When I moved it in between, I lost KX and FOX, so I'm having a hard time figuring out where to point. I wonder if I should try pointing more N/NW.

The best thing to do is go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx, enter your address and see how you should orient your antenna. It sounds like you have a directional antenna, so if you live in the F/M area you are probably going to have to compromise as to its orientation. If you can't get an adequate signal on all channels you will probably have to either switch to a non-directional antenna or try an antenna amplifier. I went the amplifier route (see my previous post) and it seems to be working well.
post #669 of 2005 Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 AM

Midcontinent here in Grand Forks dropped INHD2 (they merged with INHD) and they have added MTVHD. And whatever they're doing with this channel they need to do with the rest of them. The quality is very very good. Except for the varying levels of the audio, that gets annoying real fast.
post #670 of 2005 Old 12-19-2006, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jeese, possible worthless channels that have been mentioned lately: HGTV HD, Food Network HD, and MTV HD. Wow - where the heck is ESPN2, FSN, InHD, etc.?

I'm still curious how much FSN-HD actually costs them to throw on the air... I bet it's not that much.
post #671 of 2005 Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

Jeese, possible worthless channels that have been mentioned lately: HGTV HD, Food Network HD, and MTV HD. Wow - where the heck is ESPN2, FSN, InHD, etc.?

I'm still curious how much FSN-HD actually costs them to throw on the air... I bet it's not that much.

Oh, I don't know. I was really hoping to watch people COOK FOOD in HD.
post #672 of 2005 Old 12-21-2006, 09:53 AM

Even though I would prefer ESPN2-HD & FSN-HD, right now I'll take just about any new HD channel CableOne would offer.
post #673 of 2005 Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 PM

This isn't HD news, but I was browsing my other channels today and saw GSN (FINALLY!!!!!) on channel 314 and WE on (I think) channel 316. I looked at the lineup on cableone.net and it says GSN is coming 12/31/06 but no mention of WE. Both are working tonight! The lineup also says that they're taking off G4 effective 1/9/07. I used to watch it when it was TechTV but I haven't watched G4 in a long time so that's no great loss for me, and I've been wanting GSN badly for several years now, so this is a good day for me at least.
post #674 of 2005 Old 12-27-2006, 08:18 AM

This isn't broadcast related, but it is HD - I'm hoping someone might have some info regarding ISF Calibration in the Fargo/Moorhead area. Is there anyone around that does it now? Feel free to PM me if you wish to keep this thread from going off into a tangent.

Thanks,
post #675 of 2005 Old 12-27-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting question. The ISF trained dealer locator on their website shows Site On Sound as being the only local option. There are 17 listed for the Mpls area. I have seen a BenQ front projector in the Mpls area that had been ISF calibrated and I can't say that I was overly impressed. In that one instance (hardly makes me an expert) I walked away feeling that displays tuned to D65 look a little dull and people look sunburned. That is strictly my opinion though. It would be interesting to see what calibration services Site On Sound offers and how much that calibration would improve your image quality above what you can accomplish with AVIA or DVE (which I use). If Site On Sound did have the service available- I would want to be assured that the tech they're sending has been through the training process as opposed to someone that watched someone else who was trained 3 years ago do it.
post #676 of 2005 Old 12-29-2006, 09:22 AM

hi,

i just installed a phillips mant940(i think) it's an indoor/outdoor antenna

i installed it outdoors on a cut-down telephone pole right beside my house.... the top of the pole is about 6 feet higher than the peak of my house and the mast i installed my antenna on is another 6 feet higher than that, so it's high

i get all the channels with absolute full strength with an exception of CBS...

i'd tried EVERY possible direction/slant/rotation/etc... and can't get it, it shows up, but it pixelates and then just drops...

i went to antennaweb_dot_org and obv. that antenna is in the general direction of NBC's antenna, 5 miles away, so i would think that if i can get signal from 2 antenna in the opposite direction, i should be able to get one that is right by the NBC tower...

is there anything i can do besides just trying to rotate/etc... which i don't want to do to much of since it is high in the air and i don't like nose bleeds

are they not broadcasting full strength?

thanks,
stolzyboy
post #677 of 2005 Old 01-09-2007, 10:26 AM

anyone? original poster? have any suggestions?
post #678 of 2005 Old 01-09-2007, 03:08 PM

I really can't help you stolzyboy, I get all of the locals in HD via CableOne.
post #679 of 2005 Old 01-09-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolzyboy View Post

hi,

i just installed a phillips mant940(i think) it's an indoor/outdoor antenna

i went to antennaweb_dot_org and obv. that antenna is in the general direction of NBC's antenna, 5 miles away, so i would think that if i can get signal from 2 antenna in the opposite direction, i should be able to get one that is right by the NBC tower...

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you are located between KVLY's and KXJB's transmitters and you have your antenna pointed at KVLY's? I couldn't find a "mant940" on the internet, but if it is a directional antenna that doesn't sound like a recipe for success. The only thing I have to offer is the same advice I gave in a post in this thread a few weeks ago - try an amp or a non-directional antenna.
post #680 of 2005 Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 AM

i have all channels except 4, i receive 6 (all 3), 11, 13(all 3), and 15...

i am in west fargo... the antenna i don't believe is a directional as i can receive signals from 6 ,15 and 11, which are in totally opposite directions of me...

my issue is, 4 and 11 are essentially in the same direction (sure they are some degrees off cuz they are 5 miles apart), but both are near blanchard, nd, northwest of casselton...

why can i receive all the others except 4, which is why it's leading me to believe they have a weaker signal maybe?? as i'm the same distance from that as 11 and they are in the same direction from my home

i'm on the west side of west fargo, about 1 mile east of the fairgrounds, just so you get an idea

here is a link to the antenna, it works great for all channels i receive and get almost full strength on them: walmart_dot_c o m / catalog / product.do ? product_id = 5000836

i can't put in urls yet cuz i've not posted at least 5 times so i hope the spaces in there make sense
post #681 of 2005 Old 01-10-2007, 09:53 AM

I can't really help either since I get them through CableONE too, but can you give actual signal strength numbers? You said the other channels are "full strength" - does that correspond to 99? Do you get any signal on CBS? What's the strength on that? 80? I haven't tried it in awhile, but when I did use an antenna I remember CBS being easier to pick up reliably than NBC.
post #682 of 2005 Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 AM

i don't have "numbers" on my screen, i'll try and give an example

no signal: |--------|--------|--------|

full signal: |========|========|========|

i get about the same on all the signals i get

6/13/11/15: |========|========|=======-|

4: |===-----|--------|--------| //jumps up to fill the first block at times, but mostly less than half of the first block

hopefully that helps explain my signal strength as my tv doesn't display numbers, just a slider bar, if you will

thanks
post #683 of 2005 Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 PM

Hey guys - has anyone heard rumors or seen anything regarding HD locals over Satellite? I have yet to see anything listed for Fargo.
post #684 of 2005 Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 PM

i know at this point, with DirecTV, the locals are still brought by OTA that DirecTV installs for you... as far as Dish, i'd bet it's similar
post #685 of 2005 Old 01-11-2007, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

HGTV HD, Food Network HD, and MTV HD. Wow - where the heck is ESPN2, FSN, InHD, etc.?

Rumor has it that any new HD channels offered by CableONE will be at an additional charge.

Quote:

Hey guys - has anyone heard rumors or seen anything regarding HD locals over Satellite? I have yet to see anything listed for Fargo.

Like that will happen in your lifetime. We barely register as a market, we're lucky that the satellite guys are doing the SD locals.

Just think, by the time we get HD locals over satellite, your TV will be probably be advanced enough (or backed by a computer) such that you'll never know where the content comes from.

Brian G.
post #686 of 2005 Old 01-12-2007, 09:04 AM

I've read the same thing on the internet about CableOne. Sounds like maybe 1Q of 2007, they are going to launch a 5 channel HD package, for $5/month, consisting of A&EHD, Food Network HD, HGTV-HD, Discovery HD Theater, and National Geographic HD.
post #687 of 2005 Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

I've read the same thing on the internet about CableOne. Sounds like maybe 1Q of 2007, they are going to launch a 5 channel HD package, for $5/month, consisting of A&EHD, Food Network HD, HGTV-HD, Discovery HD Theater, and National Geographic HD.

Wow, if they charge $5 for that, how much are they going to charge for good channels??
post #688 of 2005 Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep- in their typical fashion, they have just barely managed to interest me in something. What's another $5/month when you already feed them ~$115/month for internet, digital and HD? (no premium channels) Discovery and National Geographic are just slightly interesting to me to use as eye candy, the rest I couldn't care less about. I suppose ESPN2HD and NFL Network, were they available would be like an extra $25/month? Pathetic.
post #689 of 2005 Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Liked: 11
I live in jamestown and from what I know there isn't any hd OTA in my area but might be wrong?

Anyone know?

AntennaWeb isn't giving me any digital towers but it only gives abc for digital when I try fargo so maybe I don't know what I'm doing.
post #690 of 2005 Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolzyboy View Post

i don't have "numbers" on my screen, i'll try and give an example

no signal: |--------|--------|--------|

full signal: |========|========|========|

i get about the same on all the signals i get

6/13/11/15: |========|========|=======-|

4: |===-----|--------|--------| //jumps up to fill the first block at times, but mostly less than half of the first block

hopefully that helps explain my signal strength as my tv doesn't display numbers, just a slider bar, if you will

thanks

I also have the magnavox 20 element uhf vhf mant 900 antenna.
Looks like you are getting some interference on 614 mhz or you are getting multi path signal reflection off a building.
There should be no horizontal or diagonal wires in front of the antenna like power lines.
I would move your antenna and try it again.
Check out the signal on ch 33 and if you don't see it, you have trouble with you coax cable or the balun transformer.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page