Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2007, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordell View Post

I live in jamestown and from what I know there isn't any hd OTA in my area but might be wrong?

Anyone know?

AntennaWeb isn't giving me any digital towers but it only gives abc for digital when I try fargo so maybe I don't know what I'm doing.

You need a good uhf antenna like winegard HD 9085p, HD 9095 p, PR 9022 or a antenna craft Model MXU-47.
You also need a good preamplifier like the winegard AP 4800.
You need your antenna up about 20 to 30 feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monitor View Post

You need a good uhf antenna like winegard HD 9085p, HD 9095 p, PR 9022 or a antenna craft Model MXU-47.
You also need a good preamplifier like the winegard AP 4800.
You need your antenna up about 20 to 30 feet.

Yikes that totally won't be feasible currently as I live in an apartment and am somewhat in the lower part of the town.

Locally we have a digital cable provider(its actually IP-TV, daktel) hopefully they get their stuff in order and roll out their HD service sooner then later. They are still working on getting a set top box vendor.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:34 PM

I work for directv and locals here are not for a while,

There will be HD channels coming on line around March and April and than the rest of the year MORE AND MORE....

I look to have at least 100 HD channels by Xmas
Old 01-18-2007, 01:31 PM

I saw a CableONE ad yesterday that said there will be "no rate increases in 2007" - I wonder if a "new" HD package would be considered (by them) to be a rate increase?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would guess not. I'm sure it's no change in their current packages, but adding a new one would be outside of that.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monitor View Post

I also have the magnavox 20 element uhf vhf mant 900 antenna.
Looks like you are getting some interference on 614 mhz or you are getting multi path signal reflection off a building.
There should be no horizontal or diagonal wires in front of the antenna like power lines.
I would move your antenna and try it again.
Check out the signal on ch 33 and if you don't see it, you have trouble with you coax cable or the balun transformer.

i don't see any ch 33, and i can't just type it in if it hasn't already been picked up?

but what is ch 33?? and what is the 614 thing you speak of??

it's just confusing as i get all the others, there are no wires that can be in the way as it is way above the peak of my house, oddly enough, if i bring the antenna down to house level, i can get channel 4, but then i get nothing else, this is kind of weird, how can i test for your 614 mhz problem, and what would i have as far as trouble with the coax? i have it running through my gutters, would that cause problems?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:07 AM

I am sorry we don't have the same antennas.
I have the philips mant 900 and you you have the mant 940.
I check out your phillips mant 940 antenna on the net, sorry to say that's not a very good antenna.
You need a directional antenna like Radio Shack UHF model # U-75R.
You will only pickup the UHF or HDTV stations with this antenna.
Feet Farm is selling the philips mant 900, 20 element vhf uhf antenna.
KXJB HDTV signal is on ch 38, transmitting frequency is from 614 to 620 megahertz.
CH 33 KCPM is a low power analog station north west of Fargo.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:57 AM

all i really want are hdtv stations and i can pick them all up, aside from the CBS channel, and i'm not sure that really makes sense, it doesn't matter which way i point it, i can get them all except CBS... now, like i said, if i bring the antenna down to house level(and not way above peak) CBS comes in, which doesn't make sense at all :/

oh well, maybe some day i'll get another one, it was too much work to put this up on a pole in my backyard and it's a bit snowy now, i'm not gonna fall off of it
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 AM
GBW

Hey all, I just purchased a new HDTV and I'm wondering what is a good antenna to purchase to receive all the HD channels OTA (I'm in Moorhead)? Would a cheaper (around $30) antenna work or should I expect to spend more than that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM

Hey GBW. Welcome to the world of HDTV.

I have never used an antenna for viewing HD OTA signals, so I really can't offer any assistance on which kind work better. I get all of my HD via CableOne.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 PM

I found this on the internet earlier ...

http://www.cableone.net/display.asp?PROMO_ID=100633

Looks like CableOne is saying what the 5 new HD channels will be. $5/month though + an HD digital box to get them.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBW View Post

Hey all, I just purchased a new HDTV and I'm wondering what is a good antenna to purchase to receive all the HD channels OTA (I'm in Moorhead)? Would a cheaper (around $30) antenna work or should I expect to spend more than that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope, I'm not too late to help.

I bought an antenna at Radio Shack for about $50 (sorry, not sure of model#) and I get all of the OTA channels. My OTA picture is better than CableOne (but...no DVR).
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Does anyone have a DVR sufficiently empty to verify the following:

No files, 0% consumed -- Record 1 minute, ~20% consumed ????

That's what I'm getting. I have about 30 or so series schedules, but I can't believe that just setting those up would consume that much space.

Thoughts? This is my 8th DVR, and the one with the least problems so far, so I hate to change it out, but I hate not having enough space more.

Thoghts?

Jay
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM

I've been having a weird issue with my DVR just recently, where I'm sitting at about 40% capacity, then it would start recording something and bring up a screen that it's full and can't record anymore. I have to delete one of my recordings to get it back to the right capacity. It only happened twice but it had never happened before.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 PM
GBW

Update: I purchased the DB4 antenna from terrestrial digital. Found it online for about $60 with shipping. Much better than the $125 a local guy was going to sell me an antenna for! This thing is great, I didn't even have to put it outside in this cold weather. It's actually in the house next to the TV right now. And it gets all the channels without any interruption. I got it just in time to watch the superbowl in HD...wow!!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:28 PM

I've had that issue as well. I'll have 25-50% full, hit record, and then after a few minutes it'll tell me it's full. Then, just like you say, I delete something and suddenly it's working again.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

This same thing happened to me last weekend for the first time. I think I was at about 55% full and got that message after a minute of recording. Deleted a movie I wasn't going to watch anyway, then it recorded fine. Weird....
Old 02-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Just some information for the group. The location and channel given by antennaweb for KCMP 27 is incorrect. KCMP dos operate a low power station KVNJ-LP channel 33 analog. The transmitter location is on top of the Radisson Hotel 201 5th St. N. Fargo, ND. not NW of Fargo like antennaweb shows.
Service area is only a five mile radius

I have contacted The FCC (again) to try and correct this in their database but I am not holding my breath, it wasn't too fruitful the first time

When I talked to their station engineer he said that they would delay digital as long as possible. I guess that doesn't surprise anyone. The only way KCPM is going to get any meaningful over the air viewer ship would be to move there transmitter up by PPTV 13/23 and WDAY 6/21 towers. Then everyone would receive 33 by default.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM

The capacity issue is a known problem for firmware 16.20, but if you have firmware 12.35 it is probably a corrupt drive. I have no idea what firmware cable one recommends, mine is 12.35 and I picked it up before september. In either case it is a problem that cable one should fix. Or you can search wikipedia for the issue and go through their procedure, but I wouldn't want to receive the bill if something goes wrong and your stuck with a broken box.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 AM

Hey, long time lurker here. I recently picked up a pretty nice 37" LCD w/ATSC & QAM. I'm in Grand Forks, in UND apartment housing. My understanding of the cable situation here (basic 2-77 cable is provided at no extra charge with rent) is that there's essentially one line coming into campus, and then it's split and amplified to every single outlet on campus (which is why I can't get their cable internet here). Anyway, after some serious monkeying around with the amp/splitter setup in the basement of my new apartment, I finally got my TV to tune 6 digital channels--two PBS (on HD, one SD), NBC, CBS, and two junk channels--ads for Midco's on-demand PPV stuff and ads for NBA League Pass. PQ on the PBS HD, CBS and NBC are fantastic--5.1 audio for some shows, even. Does anyone have any experience with QAM channels via Midco here in GF? I know my cable signal still isn't great (the lower analog channels are nigh unwatchable--too snowy), so it makes me think that maybe if I fiddled about some more, I might actually be able to pick up something like TNT HD or Discovery HD. I've asked around, but the only people I know who have HDTVs and receive HD programming already subscribe to the digital cable package, so everything HD would come in unscrambled, I would think. Thanks in advance to anyone who might have more info.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Hey Guys! Don't know why I didn't search for this thread earlier, guess I just figured there wouldn't be one...

anyway, I bought a Terk HDTVs from Best Buy & have had ok reception from it.. I need to get up in my attic this spring though and put in a real antenna.. Currently I can get all channels on my DTV H20, but can't quite get a couple on my Sammy SIR-TS360, must not be as sensitive..

H20 is on the XBR970 up stairs.. HT is under construction.. Sammy is down there on my G70..
Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 AM

I noticed last night that there is a channel 475 on my cableone box. Any ideas on what might be coming?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Channel 475 is KVRR-DT. I did see that they fixed the issue with it not showing up in the HD list of channels, and it is now labeled KVRRH, instead of just KVRR.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:58 PM

Has anyone heard as to when CableOne is going to launch that HD package? I thought I had read someone online that maybe March, but it's the 22nd already and nothing yet. I'm just really looking forward to National Geographic HD & Discovery HD.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

Channel 475 is KVRR-DT. I did see that they fixed the issue with it not showing up in the HD list of channels, and it is now labeled KVRRH, instead of just KVRR.

I'm not sure what they changed and why they had to do it, but whatever they did screwed with my series recordings. I had to delete and re-create any series recordings I had on channel 475 - it only took me a week to figure out why it wasn't recording Prison Break and 24 anymore...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:30 AM

This company never ceases to amaze me.

Cable one is dropping TNT hd along with boomerang and court tv on April 1st!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here is Scott's reply to my inquiry regarding TNT-HD:

Quote:
Brian: Thanks for contacting me about TNTHD. Turner Networks recently
purchased Court TV and is now asking for a dramatic price hike. Court TV
is demanding a rate increase of nearly 300%. We feel a rate increase of
that amount is exuberant and unfounded. Cable One did not take a video
rate increase this year and is working hard to stabilize customer's
bills. If we agreed to these terms we would be forced to raise customer
rates.

Unfortunately, because we did not come to an agreement over Court TV,
Turner network will not allow us to continue carriage of TNT HD. Turner
forced us to drop TNT HD because we didn't come to terms over Court TV.
Turner owns both networks and made it an all or nothing deal. Cable ONE
is able to replace TNT HD with ESPN 2 HD, a frequently requested
service.

Hope this helps. 5 more HD networks coming soon.

Brian G.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 AM

Espn2 is an alright replacement. My concern with them is the constant need to save cash. Midco has no problem with paying time warner. Direct tv, and dish also seem to be able to accept the cost. The main problem with midco is they don't want to pay local affiliates, so you will never see abc or fox in high def. But if you look at midcos lineup and price, and compare it to cable one, cableone should be embarassed.

TNT is going to have several nextel races this year, espn2 only has Busch. Be nice to see cableone leave town, but I'm sure they have left their system in such a mess and near capacity, no serious company will ever want to touch it.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Brian - did Scott hint about any timelines for the ESPN2 replacement?

Sure would be nice to see FSN North in HD sometime (since, oh, about 100 Twins games are going to be in HD this year...)
Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 AM

Ha! They really said that the price increase is "exuberant"?

Funny, in a "God-I-can't believe-I-have-to-deal-with-these-idiots" sort of way...