3Likes

post #721 of 2004 Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

Brian - did Scott hint about any timelines for the ESPN2 replacement?

Sure would be nice to see FSN North in HD sometime (since, oh, about 100 Twins games are going to be in HD this year...)

I don't suppose we will have ESPN2HD by tomorrow to watch the Frozen Four semi final games?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2004 Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM

I see that ESPN HD has been moved to 491. ESPN2 HD and the channels for the new HD package are also listed.
post #723 of 2004 Old 04-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Just got off the phone (the 800 # on cableone's hd page) and had the new 5 HD channels added for $5/mo.

Discovery HD looks stunning!!!!

ESPN2 still has not been added in and shows 'Not Authorized'; hopefully that will be available b4 the weekend.
post #724 of 2004 Old 04-04-2007, 06:41 PM

I also noticed that tonight. It also looks like they messed with KVRR-HD again as my Series Recordings for that channel got screwed up again. So those of you with scheduled recordings on Fox be sure to check your DVR.

Brian, without being too confrontational can you ask him why CableONE consistently stands up "on principle" against these rate increases, getting new networks, etc., while other companies seem to have no such problems, and offer more service for pretty much the same price? I understand wanting to save money, but does he not understand that WE pay for the channels and not him? Sure, 300% sounds like a lot, but not if it's going from $0.20 to $0.80, or something like that. I can't imagine Court TV cost enough before this to make 300% a meaningful amount of money. He probably won't say, but I'd be curious to know the actual numbers involved, not the percentage.

All in all I'm not complaining, since I never watched Court TV and very rarely watched TNT-HD, and will watch ESPN2-HD a lot, but his reasoning almost always seems flawed to me.
post #725 of 2004 Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Does anyone know, or has anyone heard rumours about when Dish Tv will have locals in hd for Fargo? I recently purchased a dish system and I am debating whether to pull the plug or not. I don't want to be waiting forever for local HD's...
post #726 of 2004 Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 PM

I don't think there's any way to know. Fargo is the 119th biggest TV market in the country, and DirecTV only offers HD locals in about 60 right now. I'm not sure how much capacity they have on their satellites, but I think they added enough to pretty much add everyone eventually. If they add 25 per year it will probably be 3 more years until Fargo HD locals are offered, but they could add 50 per year and it could happen sometime next year.
post #727 of 2004 Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Huh! Been away from this thread a few days and all of a sudden it comes to life after a long stretch of a hand full of posts per month.

I watched an occasional NBA game or movie on TNT-HD but I will not miss it much. I will get a lot more use out of ESPN2-HD. I can't wait to tell my wife that I want to give CableOne another $5 per month. That will bring the grand total we pay them to something like $121 a month and that's with NO premium channels at all. We have digital cable on the upstairs TV, HD-DVR on the projector downstairs and broadband internet. Yeah- tell me you can't make ends meet CableOne.

As a side note- I think this post marks my 1,000th on AVS since I joined about three years ago. I was happy to see that I could make that post here with me Fargo home boys. I have gleaned an incredible amount of good information on several of the AVS forums. When I think about what I have put together in my family room for a fraction of the price that I could have obtained from a local retailer or HT shop- it makes me smile. My wife won't agree that all that time I spent staring at the gray, blue and pink AVS screens was worth it- but I sure think it was. The next project I am researching is to construct a 92" diagonal, acoustically transparent electric projection screen using an aluminum pipe purchased locally, AT screen material from SMXscreen and an electronic, remote controlled window shade motor. Then it's saving up the pennies for a 1080P projector as they are tumbling in price. All with the great information picked up here at AVS. End of commercial.

Cheers all!
post #728 of 2004 Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Just got off the phone with CableOne ... had them add the HD package to my account. I'm curious what the new channels will be like tonight.

Overall, ESPN2-HD is better than TNT-HD, except for the seven NASCAR races that will missed in HD. Other than that, I don't watch much TNT. ESPN2 will overall have more events I'll watch in HD.
post #729 of 2004 Old 04-05-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well it is too bad that they are charging for the new channels. Guess I won't be getting them until I get a TV with a CableCARD slot.

Quote:

Does anyone know, or has anyone heard rumours about when Dish Tv will have locals in hd for Fargo? I recently purchased a dish system and I am debating whether to pull the plug or not. I don't want to be waiting forever for local HD's...

Get an antenna already. The HDTV signals in town are pretty good and an antenna should only cost you like $20-$30. Don't spend extra for HD-ready antenna... All antennas are HD-ready.

Brian G.
post #730 of 2004 Old 04-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Well, I guess the answer was that Yes, we got ESPN2-HD in time for the Frozen Four, but No, the game wasn't broadcast in HD...
post #731 of 2004 Old 04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I was surprised to see ESPN2-HD on 492 (I think) last night without upgrading my package. Fair enough trade for me- TNT-HD for ESPN2-HD
post #732 of 2004 Old 04-06-2007, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

all that time I spent staring at the gray, blue and pink AVS screens was worth it-

Man, you GOTTA switch your AVS theme to the gray and white - at the very least you'll be much less noticeable when you ...uh, stray... to AVS during work hours...

I'll have to rescan my TV tonight and see if I can get ESPN2 - I took back my HD cable box (DVR) a couple weeks ago so I'm now clear QAM all the way... Also switched back to DSL so I'm on the 42.50 plan.

Yeah, it's pretty lame that new HD channels are premium... (can someone confirm that they are indeed A&EHD, Food Network HD, HGTV-HD, Discovery HD Theater, and National Geographic HD??).

The only way I would consider picking up the cable box again would be if FSN-North got picked up and wasn't clear QAM...
post #733 of 2004 Old 04-06-2007, 02:57 PM

Yes, the five channels in the new HD package are Discovery HD Theater, National Geographic HD, A&EHD, HGTV-HD, and Food Network HD.
post #734 of 2004 Old 04-06-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

Man, you GOTTA switch your AVS theme to the gray and white - at the very least you'll be much less noticeable when you ...uh, stray... to AVS during work hours

Huh- I have never bothered to check for different color schemes in the probably thousands of hours I've stared at these threads. Not so sure I like the all white with a touch of gray, kinda bright. Thanks for the tip though..

HBO preview started today going into next week, can't remember which day it ends. It's always nice to have those previews and search for something worth DVR'ing. Only to finish the preview period and be firmly convinced that I will never pay for premium channels...
post #735 of 2004 Old 04-06-2007, 07:54 PM

I'm new to hi-def (Dec 06) and have relied on the posts here to find channels. I rely on built-in QAM tuners and basic Cableone service in an HP Plasma and a Westinghouse LCD.

I turn on EPSNHD every morning to get my highlight and game scores fix. This morning it was blank. However thanks to the postings here, I found out why and have re-scanned channels on both tvs and now have them programmed on both sets.

Here are the basic HD channels that I am able to view on each set as of today. I also see that there's a HBO promo going on so I'll have their free premium channels for the weekend at least.

Locals
4 - KXJB
6 - WDAY
10 - KVRR (Fox)
11 - KVLY
13 - PBS (HD)

Cable
ESPNHD
Universal HD
ESPN2HD (new 04/2007)

I've seen the CW and PBS Kids HD on a Samsung that doesn't have a built-in QAM tuner and since i have 3 kids, I wish these 2 channels were part of Cableone's basic feed. Maybe someday.

Love the HD and really appreciate the information everyone has been posting here. It's allowed me to recommend QAM sets to both my parents and my in-laws.
post #736 of 2004 Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome new2hidef...

Is anyone getting HBO-HD, channel 450 on this HBO preview weekend? 100-115 come in for me but 450 just has the normal subscription screen. I seem to recall during past previews that the HD channel was live as well.

Cheers!
post #737 of 2004 Old 04-13-2007, 06:33 AM

lately, i've noticed that wday(6) hasn't been broadcasting in HD... i THOUGHT it was my tv or something, but my other HD channels come in (aside from kxjb(4) as that's never came in)...

i also noticed it DOES display 1920x1080 for HD so that's normal... has anyone else been experiencing this issue... and yes, i am referring to shows that ARE in HD and the HD logo shows up as well.

thanks
post #738 of 2004 Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 AM

I'm not sure about what they're broadcasting, but it's still in HD on CableOne. The only ABC show I watch is "Lost" and this week's episode was HD.
post #739 of 2004 Old 04-27-2007, 01:09 AM

Liked: 11
Is anyone here consistently picking up KVRR OTA? I'm having a very difficult time with this one. All other digital stations are coming in with signal strength 90-plus.

According to Antennaweb, KVRR is in pretty much the opposite direction of the other towers. I'm sure this is why I'm having such a hard time picking it up, and I'm wondering what others are doing to pull it in.

I'm located in south Fargo, just south of I-94 and just east of 25th St. My antenna is currently a Terrestrial Digital DB8 with a Radio Shack amplifier in the attic, pointed in the general direction of WDAY, KVLY, KXJB, etc. The DB8 is either considered a multi-directional antenna, or a directional antenna with a very wide (100 degree) beam, depending on who you listen to. I've also tried a Philips SDV9201, which is a directional antenna, and haven't had too much luck picking up all 5 stations.

I currently have DirecTV and an HR10-250 HDTiVo that appears to be starting to fail. My goal is to build a media center PC for use as a DVR and to ditch DirecTV altogether, since over 90% of what we watch is just network TV. However if I can't get all 5 locals OTA reliably, I'll probably have to stay with DirecTV and find a replacement for my failing HR10-250.

-- Greg
post #740 of 2004 Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I would guess that pretty much everyone in Fargo now has a similar pattern display on the antennaweb.org street level map after the KVRR tower move. All the stations are on a NW-SE line with KVRR being the only one (that I care about anyway) that is SE.

I am having no problem picking up any of the OTA HD broadcasts from any of the carriers using a Radioshack 15-2185 multidirectional antenna into an MCE box. I can't even find a picture of that antenna anywhere to post. I got the last, open box one that the Moorhead store had about a year ago. It looks like a dinner plate with two ~30" long airplane wings attached to it.

It really surprises me that I am able to get as good of reception with my setup as I do. I live about two blocks south of Edgewood golf course. In the direction (NW) that most of the stations are coming from- my neighbor's ~50-60' high ash tree is right in line with those towers and only like 35' away from where the antenna is mounted on my chimney. I was having some dropout problems with KVLY last summer but as soon as all the leaves dropped off that tree (and all the other big trees in the way), it has been perfect all winter. I suspect that when the trees leaf out I will start having some problems with KVLY again but I don't watch much on there anyway.

I don't know that I have any suggestions for you Warp other than to maybe just play around with your antenna positioning. From where you mention you live- I would guess you face a lot less challenges than I do since the trees aren't as tall. My only feedback on the MCE box is that I used a FusionHDTV 5 Lite tuner card since it supported QAM and it took a perfectly functioning MCE box and made it schitzo. Lock-ups, damaged recordings, etc. are now the norm. The only way I can guarantee a successful recording is to reboot the box prior to each recording. I have been through every Fusion article on The Green Button and AVS threads I could find and I'm sure I did their install correctly. I would stay away from their cards if I had it to do over again. I didn't realize at the time I bought it (not enough research) that you couldn't do the QAM tuning within MCE and their Fusion's application for QAM HD reception sucks. I need to tear that box down and start over from scratch. My opinion anyway.

Cheers!
post #741 of 2004 Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 PM

Well, over the next 8 days, there is going to be 6 Twins games in HD on FSN North HD (Boston / Chicago / Detriot). Please CableOne .... We need FSN-HD added !!!!
post #742 of 2004 Old 05-06-2007, 04:26 PM

WOW !!!

I am watching the ending of the NBA game on WDAY-DT this Sunday afternoon, and WDAY is showing the weather warnings as overlays on the HD signal .... no dropping back to SD. This means that WDAY can at least generate HD graphics locally.

Reading posts on AVS here, there doesn't seem to be very many affiliates who can do that. I wonder if this is any precursor to WDAY originating any HD locally, such as local newscasts in HD ????
post #743 of 2004 Old 05-19-2007, 10:08 PM

Interesting article in the paper today about 702 Communications starting the process of offering Cable TV over phone lines in Fargo and Moorhead. It's a pretty long process to get everything in place (they said at least 12-18 months) but I'm glad to see someone step up in the area to offer another non-dish option. Obviously there are a lot of unanswered questions (price, equipment, lineup, etc.) but if it's even halfway decent I think I'll be at the front of the line of early adopters.

I'm certainly not an expert in the area, but I'm pretty sure what 702 wants to do is similar to what Verizon has been doing in certain regions with their FIOS service. I've heard good things about that, so hopefully 702 will be able to do something similar.
post #744 of 2004 Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 AM

I have some philips antenna I picked up from K-Mart on a whim. It is similar to what gottahavapj is describing, dinner plate with two long poles. I have an Air2PC card in a MythTV box to tune in the goods and is all fed through a 4805.

I don't have a lot of trouble picking up KVRR but KVLY is troublesome at best. Some days I can get it with 99% signal, other days, 0%.

Some shows look like this though. Does it ever do this for anyone else?

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #745 of 2004 Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys I have a few questions on what kind of HD content I can get.

Right now I have just plain Jane Cable One, do they carry any of the OTA HD channels or other ones? It would be nice if I did not need an antenna.

My TV is only HD ready 1080i, with a DVI port on the back. Are there any good cheap tuners I should keep my eye out for, I don't mind getting one second hand off ebay.

Any help would be very appreciated, I just need some HD content to fill that big screen.
post #746 of 2004 Old 05-20-2007, 09:04 PM

You should be able to get the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX) from CableONE for "free" (as in, not any more than you're paying now) but you need a QAM-capable tuner. This is different than the kind of tuner you would need to get the channels with an antenna, thus it's different than a lot of the tuners you'd find on eBay. There are standalone tuners out there that are QAM-capable, but I don't think any are cheap by any means.

If your TV has a Cablecard slot, that's probably your cheapest way to do it (just a couple bucks a month), but I don't think any or many "HD ready" TV's have Cablecard slots. Honestly, if you don't already have a QAM tuner, it's probably your best bet to just upgrade and get the HD package from CableONE. You get the tuner, networks in HD, as well as Universal HD, ESPN-HD, and ESPN2-HD, for I believe just $5 more per month if you already have digital cable (it might be $10, I'm not totally clear on the pricing scheme right now). If you don't have digital cable at all, I think it's $20 more per month to get up to a level that includes the basic HD package.
post #747 of 2004 Old 06-11-2007, 07:24 PM

Liked: 11
A few days ago (Saturday or Sunday June 9 or 10), I started missing recordings on KFME (our local PBS station). I was gone over the weekend, but when I returned on Sunday afternoon, I found that I could not tune ATSC KFME through my Vista Media Center PC. I started investigating, and I have good signal strength. I can tune the channel through my DirecTV HR10-250 HDTiVo. The media center box can tune all other locals just fine.

The media center box has both an ATI TV Wonder 650 and a SiliconDust HDHomeRun connected to it. KFME cannot be tuned on either the ATI or the HDHomeRun. Frequency assignments in the XML files in C:\\Users\\All Users\\Microsoft\\eHome\\EPG\\prefs all look correct.

Is anyone else with a media center pc having trouble tuning KFME over the air?

-- Greg
post #748 of 2004 Old 06-12-2007, 06:44 PM

I just recently upgraded my DVR to the newest version with the larger hard drive and HDMI port. I like the extra space, but now I notice a lot of macroblocking with fast moving scenes.

Example: I was watching the Matrix Revolutions on HBO and the 2nd half was almost unwatchable. I also notice the issue on SD channels. The intro. to CSI on Spike is a good example.

This REALLY bothers me. I know it is not my TV since I have never seen this issue with DVD or the other DVR I traded in. I have also tried Component out and I still get the same issue. It has to be something with this most recent version of Cable One's DVR. Also, I swapped out the DVR for a new one and still have the same issue.

Has anyone else noticed this? And (I know this is a long shot), does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Sheldon
post #749 of 2004 Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post

A few days ago (Saturday or Sunday June 9 or 10), I started missing recordings on KFME (our local PBS station). I was gone over the weekend, but when I returned on Sunday afternoon, I found that I could not tune ATSC KFME through my Vista Media Center PC. I started investigating, and I have good signal strength. I can tune the channel through my DirecTV HR10-250 HDTiVo. The media center box can tune all other locals just fine.

The media center box has both an ATI TV Wonder 650 and a SiliconDust HDHomeRun connected to it. KFME cannot be tuned on either the ATI or the HDHomeRun. Frequency assignments in the XML files in C:\\Users\\All Users\\Microsoft\\eHome\\EPG\\prefs all look correct.

Is anyone else with a media center pc having trouble tuning KFME over the air?

-- Greg

Yes, I'm having the same issue...any ideas yet? I'm running Vista Ultimate with a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC dual tuner card. I actually seem to have issues tuning in most stations now. Granted, I'm using rabbit ears off the back of my machine at the moment, but up until last weekend, I didn't have any issues with 3 of the stations. And I double checked the signal strength too, with 3-4 bars (of 6 in MCE) on 3 channels, I'm only able to tune in one. Perplexing...

--Chris
post #750 of 2004 Old 06-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Hi guys,

I just want to add my voice to this forum that I have lost my PBS signal also (all three). I didn't really think anything of it since I have been too busy to watch TV this week (read been playing Xbox).

Anyway, this is usually my strongest signal and it's just gone. I'll see if I can get a reply when I send them an Email. I'll let you know.

**Edit** The Email has been sent . . . I don't expect to hear something until the start of the work week.

**Edit 2** Got a polite email back that they would forward my comments on to the appropriate people. . . still don't have my channels. Is anyone else having issues with PBS?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page