Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #811 of 1966 Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I currently have Dish HD and live in south fargo. I have an indoor antenna and am able to get all the locals in HD.

My problem, is that I just bought a house and will be moving to Dilworth in December.

I will stick with Dish and am planning to do an outdoor antenna, but have several questions.

Will I need a multi-directional antenna to pick up the regular channels as well as fox? Does anyone recommend a certain antenna to do the trick? Will I need an amplifier?

Also, I want to make as few holes as possible in my new house, so I was wondering if anyone had experience using diplexers? Would it work to combine the dish signal with my antenna signal and then retrieve both from each wall coax location and split before entering the box?

This would seemingly work the best as I don't want to have to run seperate cables to each dish box.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions, but wanted to get a head-start on this and hear what you guys had to say. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1966 Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM

Hi,
I have an outdoor antenna in West Fargo and am using it connected to a Dish network 622 DVR. My original antenna is a UHF directional pointed toward channels 11 and 4. It's always worked well for every channel but 15. I tried several other antennas looking for an omnidirectional solution but nothing worked well. Either 15 suffered or 11 & 4 suffered. This fall, I stopped at Radio Shack and purchased a UHF directional antenna and mounted it on the same mast as my other antenna oriented toward channel 15. Then I took a standard UHF 2-set coupler and hooked it up backwards on the antenna mast so the two antenna lines went into the two TV Set positions and the Antenna connection is connected on the downline to the 622 DVR.
I waterproofed the coupler with some latex caulk and used electrical tape to secure it to the mast.
All of the channels now show a signal strength of 100 on the 622 except channel 15 which has a strength of 86. I have never had a signal dropout on any channel since putting up the second antenna.
I have no experience with diplexers. I can only say that prior to putting up my second antenna, my signal strength on channel 15 was about 75. I would get a signal dropout when the signal dropped any below 75.
Whatever you do, keep your signal level above 80 on all channels and I expect it would work fine.
John
post #813 of 1966 Old 11-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Thanks John,

That sounds like a reasonable idea, but it kinda leaves me in a bind. I was thinking about purchasing a multi-directional antenna and hoping that would work, but now it sounds like maybe I should just buy two uni-directional antennas. Does anybody know of a good place in town where these things aren't so expensive?

Man.....if only Dish had local HD's. I sent in an email to inquire about when they might be adding local hd's in our market, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know when I find out.
post #814 of 1966 Old 11-10-2007, 09:56 PM

Anyone seen this and know how to fix it? Basically, I'm using Vista Ultimate / MCE with a Hauppage something1600 NTSC/ATSC tuner and the KFME-DT program guide is using the SD program information. MCE does not deal well with this, meaning you can't choose another guide for that station or even know if its offered. Anyone else seen this? How do I correct it? Luckily Nova is on at the same time on both...
post #815 of 1966 Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 AM

Liked: 11
Wow! Thanks for the update.

I request/suggest the same channels in HD every month (Fox, ABC, HGTV, CNN, Weather Channel) and I always get the generic "we will look into it" reply. They gave you a real reason, nice!

Thank you for posting this. I know there are more people from Grand Forks who use AVS Forum.

I know what you are saying about Midco's lack of HD channels though. It's very hard seeing DirecTV and DISH Network with 75 HD channels, while Midco sits at 17 or 18. In all honesty, if I didn't live in an apartment building where they do not allow satellite, I would probably switch to DISH or DirecTV.
post #816 of 1966 Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Oh, I also wanted to mention that I got a brand new DVR box from Midco. It is the Motorola DCH6416 and it is awesome. The guy who came and "installed" it said they cost $600. It has a 160GB hard drive, HDMI, and all of the usual things you would expect with an HD set top box.
post #817 of 1966 Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Grand Forks, ND:

Sorry to interrupt your Fargo thread, but I wanted to point out that if you live in Grand Forks, there is a thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=907286
post #818 of 1966 Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks for turning me on to the GF thread. Not sure why I didn't find it in the first place (I don't think it is listed in the master thread?). I get the response that kerplunket gets with regards to midcontinent and ABC/FOX.

We currently have DISH satellite, but without them offering local HD, I'm interested in cable despite the lower amount of stations. The other benefit is we're in an old home, so we can have cable live on every jack in the house instead of only a few rooms (3way splitter on the outside of the house).

Ugh. As much as I like ND, we really are in the boones when it comes to new-tech. Is HD local channels and programming a hard thing to ask for??? As soon as we can get ABC/FOX in HD easily (not OTA), I'll be making the HD plunge.
post #819 of 1966 Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Hi OUWxGuesser,

Doesn't DISH get a ton of HD channels? I think they offer around 75 HD channels... or for some reason, aren't they available in Grand Forks? Thanks.
post #820 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM

I am still wondering if anyone is using a diplexer with their vip 622 from dish. It's a dual mode box, so I wasn't sure if the diplexer would work. Does anyone have any experience? Thanks
post #821 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 AM

It turns out CPanther95 merged the Fargo and Grand Forks thread, even though the programming is COMPLETELY different.

Not too bright.
post #822 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunknet View Post

It turns out CPanther95 merged the Fargo and Grand Forks thread, even though the programming is COMPLETELY different.

Not too bright.

That is done with other cities as well (e.g., Terre Haute and Indy) when they have different cable companies. There are very few posts in either thread, so does it really matter? It might be helpful for Fargo people to see how bad their cable company is so they quit renewing the franchise.
post #823 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM

You are right. I understand why they do it this way, but it still sucks that the cable companies are completely different with completely separate programming.

Anyway, I have requested this thread be named "Fargo/Grand Forks, ND - HDTV" as it shows on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_media_market

Anyway

Bring on the HD
post #824 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Not too bright.

Tried to explain via PM, but apparently you'd rather complain.

I'm sure there are plenty of other forums that you could be happy visiting if you don't like what you see here at AVS.
post #825 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Anyway, I have requested this thread be named "Fargo/Grand Forks, ND - HDTV" as it shows on Wikipedia:

Only the primary city (first listed by Neilsen) of each DMA is used for the AVS thread titles.

The actual title of the Fargo DMA is Fargo/Valley City.
post #826 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swensicle View Post

I was thinking about purchasing a multi-directional antenna and hoping that would work, but now it sounds like maybe I should just buy two uni-directional antennas. Does anybody know of a good place in town where these things aren't so expensive?

Swensicle- why not take a look at an inexpensive multidirectional antenna such as a DB4 This looks like a way better multidirectional than the Radio Shack discontinued one I'm using, and for less coin than I paid for mine. Seems easier than combining directional antenna feeds.

It seems that no matter where you are in the FM area- KVRR is ~180 degrees from most of the other stations. It seems to me like an antenna like this DB4 would be ideal.

My $0.02

Cheers!
post #827 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the tip "gotta". Has anyone else has any experience with this antenna in the fm area?

I'm also still curious if anyone has used a diplexer successfully with their vip 622. Thanks
post #828 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 07:25 PM

That DB4 looks great. Thanks for the link.

What OTA channels are you Fargo guys getting over there nowadays?
post #829 of 1966 Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 PM

I'm getting all 5 major networks, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS all in HD off one amplified $35 Phillips antenna. I am thinking outdoor omnidirectional and maybe an amplifier to clean up the install, but this is working really, really well. Other than the KFME-DT programming guide being entirely different then their analog sister station. I applaud the maximum amount of HD programming, just wish the guide was accurate...

(VistaUltimateMCE box)
post #830 of 1966 Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

What ndgeek said....

I am getting really good reception on all five as well. CBS and NBC break up for me some in the summer- when the 50' tall ash tree that is 20' from my antenna and right in the path has leaves on it. It is really surprising to me that I get much signal at all.

I am using MCE2005 with a Dvico HDTV5 Lite card (sucky card, horrible drivers) and have never seen accurate guide info for KFME-DT OTA either. I rarely record anything other than an occasional Austin City Limits. Then I just record the shows the guide says are in that timeslot. Crappy workaround but I've only had to do it a couple of times.

Cheers!
post #831 of 1966 Old 11-14-2007, 01:17 PM

I don't get more than a couple of days worth of program guide in mythtv and only for half of the available channels. PBS and one other lacks any detail at all.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #832 of 1966 Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgeek View Post

Anyone seen this and know how to fix it? Basically, I'm using Vista Ultimate / MCE with a Hauppage something1600 NTSC/ATSC tuner and the KFME-DT program guide is using the SD program information. MCE does not deal well with this, meaning you can't choose another guide for that station or even know if its offered. Anyone else seen this? How do I correct it? Luckily Nova is on at the same time on both...

After reading your second post about this and having it kind of gnaw at me that I've never had the correct guide info tied to this channel- I went digging. I think I found a way to fix this after reading a really old "expert guide to MCE 2005" article on the MS website. Let me play with this a bit over the next few days and I'll let you know if it worked. The guide info isn't there at this time of morning to verify. I'll go to bed now rather than being a "stay up till the wee hours fixing a problem with my HTPC guide" kind of guy. Wait- I guess I already am.
post #833 of 1966 Old 11-17-2007, 08:10 PM

One final question to anyone who owns a DB4, or knows about it. Do you think I'd be ok without using an amplifier?....I plan on using a diplexer, so I wasn't sure if I should be using an amplifier or not, or if I really need to.
post #834 of 1966 Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 PM

A coworker finally got a HDTV, so I talked him into getting the cableone HD box. When he went to get the box (he lives in West Fargo, where Midcontinent will be soon) he told Cableone that he was going to Midco as soon as he could. They told him that the "extra" HD channels (Discovery, National Geographic, etc) will be part of the "basic" HD packedge come the 2008.
post #835 of 1966 Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Doesn't DISH get a ton of HD channels? I think they offer around 75 HD channels... or for some reason, aren't they available in Grand Forks? Thanks.

Yep... just no HD locals.
post #836 of 1966 Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUWxGuesser View Post

Yep... just no HD locals.

Does that mean that they don't get local channels like KVLY, but they still get NBC?

For me personally, I could care less about KVLY or WDAZ or any other local news channel. All they do is interrupt the programming I want to watch on the national station.
post #837 of 1966 Old 11-21-2007, 03:33 PM

From my understanding, ABC/NBC/etc. are carried through your locals (which we get in SD over Dish). You can't get a national ABC channel in HD. Unfortunately, OTA is out of the question for me. For one, my house is quite old and wiring would be a pain in the rear. To boot, we live near downtown where there are lots of buildings and high trees. Way to much hassle to put an antenna up.
post #838 of 1966 Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM

Does anyone know a contact e-mail for Fox in Fargo (KVRR). I have a plasma TV and have noticed the network displaying a static call sign during programming on the HD channel. Most HD channels display a call sign that is semi-transparent to prevent any possible screen burn. I can easily zoom the screen to get rid of the static image, but it would be nice if could view the channel in it's actual format.
post #839 of 1966 Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 PM

I have a DB4 Antenna up. What do you want to know?
post #840 of 1966 Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVBox View Post

I have a DB4 Antenna up. What do you want to know?

Thanks for chiming in TVBox. What is your DB4 connected to? Satellite box OTA port, HTPC? Do you have it amplified? Where in the FM area are you located? Do you have it sort of "facing" NW toward the collection of towers?

Thanks in advance for the info. One of the "wings" of my Radio Shack multidirectional is drooping down pretty far. Either melted from the fireplace as it's chimney mounted, or the wind got it rocking. Perhaps it's time to replace although it is still working fine. I don't feel like these things are as finicky as they are made out to be unless I just got lucky.

Welcome to the forum DirectorFlik. It's nice to have representation from the broadcaster or provider side here so that our speculation rants don't get out of control.

NDGeek- that guide fix I tried for KVRR-DT in MCE2005 worked. I can't remember now the exact steps I used to get there and they may not apply to Vista anyway. What it basically entailed was telling the guide to use CableOne digital channel 470 as the guide source for KVRR-DT. I hope that makes sense. Let me know and I can detail the steps I used to get there although, again, they may not apply to Vista.

Cheers all!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page