3Likes

post #991 of 1959 Old 04-20-2008, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkmav View Post

I heard Midco is only adding 4 channels: Disney, ABC Family, Animal Planet, Discovery.

Nope there's 10.I recieved a flyer from them a few days ago.Unfortunately my wife threw it away.If I remember right it included the 4 you list plus Sci-fi and the Food Network plus 4 more.Will get to finally watch BSG in HD!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1959 Old 04-20-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnote96 View Post

its nice to watch all these HD channels...directv has a ton

That's true,but we watch a lot of programs on NBC,CBS,and ABC and Direct TV doesn't carry them in HD.Until they do,I'm staying with Mid-continent.they will then be at 30.Plus 2 each of HBO,Stars,and Showtime.
post #993 of 1959 Old 04-21-2008, 04:44 PM

This doesn't really apply to anyone in the Fargo area (or HDTV for that matter), but I thought I'd just toss a quick FYI out there for anyone who knows someone who tunes in the Fox signal out by the Brainerd area. Our engineers were getting ready to see if they could pull the digital signal from Barnesville for the translator there, but due to decisions made by the powers that be, the Brainerd translator is going off the air permanently tomorrow (Tuesday, April 22nd). There's some other reasons for this, but they're irrelevant at this point.

It's unfortunate really, since they did nothing to let us notify the public that we were pulling it. So anyone in that area that watches us will abrubtly lose the signal for no reason. For anyone who's curious that was a 1kw transmitter set for channel 53.

Anyway, in case you know people out there that are wondering why they can't get Fox anymore, that's why. I don't know if it will affect the cable system out there. They likely have their own dish pointed towards us.
post #994 of 1959 Old 04-23-2008, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
I bet many will miss the Brainerd signal when the Vikings are blacked out in the twin cities....Are the Alexandria and Park Rapids translators still operating? What are the DTV plans for those...

Also, I am in the GF area and rely on OTA for TV (I dropped cable so the kids dont watch much tv). What are the DTV plans for KBRR? I've never seen a 10.1 on Channel 32, which I see there still is a construction permit for...
post #995 of 1959 Old 04-23-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KBRR's filing with the FCC states they will not put a channel 32 on the air, and will instead just flash-cut channel 10 on or before the February 17, 2009 date. See here:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....ility_id=55370

Click "Exhibit 4" all the way at the bottom for the details.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #996 of 1959 Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM

Have they begun work to prepare (i.e. do they have a digital transmitter, inter-city relay/STL equipment delivered and being configured), or do they hope they can get an extension in February, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

KBRR's filing with the FCC states they will not put a channel 32 on the air, and will instead just flash-cut channel 10 on or before the February 17, 2009 date. See here:

post #997 of 1959 Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I know only what the FCC filing says.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #998 of 1959 Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 PM

I don't expect you to know, it is very well organized and informative....If KBRR isn't planning on going digital anytime soon, it's fine with me, I just have an Air2PC card and a couple of DTV convertor boxes that only tune DTV signals, and will require some workarounds if we want to watch NASCAR and NFL on Fox if there is no digital signal available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I know only what the FCC filing says.

- Trip

post #999 of 1959 Old 04-27-2008, 12:26 PM

My off air antenna kicks butt in fargo...i get all the locals in stunnin HD....than Directv channels..WOW nothing better..
post #1000 of 1959 Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 AM

Where are you located and what type of antenna do you use?

Generally, I can get three of the four majors on a regular basis.
post #1001 of 1959 Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 PM

south fargo and i use a winegaurd gs2200
post #1002 of 1959 Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 AM

Nice. Where is it mounted? Garage? Attic? Outside?
post #1003 of 1959 Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 AM

I do not know the status of the Alexandria translator, but I do know the Park Rapids translator is still operational.

The KBRR site will be going digital, but they are dealing with an issue on the current size of the transmitter house. Ideally they wanted to house both a new digital transmitter alongside the analog, but there's not enough room for both. I heard of a proposal to build a new transmitter building to fit things accordingly but I haven't heard anything new beyond that. I suppose in a worse case scenario the analog goes black for a little while and then the digital suddenly pops up. That's just speculation though. I'd have to dig a little deeper to get more current news on it.

EDIT: In regards to the DTV plans for translators such as Park Rapids I do not have a definitive answer. I am going to go out on a limb though and assume that it'll be highly unlikely. Considering the fact that the Brainerd translator was taken down because the company didn't want to pay for the tower rent, it wouldn't surprise me if they killed off other translators for similar financial reasoning (plus the DTV signal from Barnesville probably wouldn't make it that far). Things aren't kept up on very well around here. Heck, the Donnelly translator that was assumed still in operation died three years ago due to a lightning strike, and no one here knew about it until a week ago. Pretty funny if you ask me.

Also I'm going to go out on a limb here and trust that if anyone here talks to the station about the translators and information I've given out that you won't mention the specifics I've said or that you read about the information on a forum. Thanks.
post #1004 of 1959 Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM

I would like to see site photos - I've see many of them in the past, but none recently. As a HAM for 20+ years, clubs I've been involved with have had equipment co-located (Barnesville), as a two-way radio tech for a few years I've visited many of the NW minnesota sites (Bemidji, Pilliager/Brainerd, Park Rapids, etc.) as there was equipment co-located...I've worked in the data networking field (mostly dealing with private fiber networks, so I don't get to see tower shacks anymore) for the past 10 years, and I would be interested to see how things have changed.

Thanks for your insights,
post #1005 of 1959 Old 05-05-2008, 01:58 PM

I believe the Donnelly translator was licensed and operated by Federated telephone, and the only involvement Red River broadcasting had was authorizing them to rebroadcast the signal...I believe Alexandria, Bemidji (when it was on the air), Walker (when it was on the air), and few others are independently owned and operated - which you're engineering dept wouldn't know exactly what the status is.

Too bad to see all the translators go dark....with the "all or nothing" nature of DTV, I think translators could play a bigger role in providing free tv in the future...unfortunately since they are being allowed to die, it will cost viewers monthly fees to cable, satellite, IPTV, or VoDSL providers to get advertiser supported TV.

I think if Broadcasters play it right, broadcast "free" tv could make a big comeback...with the picture quality of OTA signals is among the best available. Multicasting can give viewers choices once available only with pay tv....For example NBC could have a MSNBC-style stream available for affiliates to put on a subchannel, ABC could have a OTA ESPN subchannel, etc.. However with big business taking over broadcasting, more emphasis is being put on making continuing cuts to show short-term profits to share holders, rather than building a quality, long term sustainable
post #1006 of 1959 Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Two more HD channels have shown up in my guide. Looks like us CableOne fools now have Discovery-HD on 425 and TLC-HD on 428.
post #1007 of 1959 Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubldare View Post

Two more HD channels have shown up in my guide. Looks like us CableOne fools now have Discovery-HD on 425 and TLC-HD on 428.

Thanks for the heads up dubldare. I wonder why they went with 425 & 428 as the channel numbers? Almost seems like they were leaving a space for something else. Let's hope so.
post #1008 of 1959 Old 05-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN W View Post

Nope there's 10.I recieved a flyer from them a few days ago.Unfortunately my wife threw it away.If I remember right it included the 4 you list plus Sci-fi and the Food Network plus 4 more.Will get to finally watch BSG in HD!!!!

It looks like Midco added three of the four channels they were going to add today.
post #1009 of 1959 Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubldare View Post

They sent out an e-mail today announcing the new channels. The e-mail also said "More and more HD channels are on the way from Cable ONE." I guess time will tell (note they didn't give a timetable).
post #1010 of 1959 Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Midco did end up adding their new channels. I think it is Discovery Channel HD, Animal Planet HD, ABC Family HD, and Disney HD.

ALTHOUGH, I have noticed a decrease in quality on FSN North. There is a noticeable difference. I see many more artifacts and macroblocking than before this happened. It seems that Midco had to take away bandwidth from existing channels to put these new channels on.

Unfortunately, I am still waiting for these channels on Midco:

ABC HD
Fox HD
CNN HD
HGTV HD
Food Network HD

After those are on Midco, I will be a very satisfied customer. Until then... partially satisfied.

(This is in Grand Forks, ND.)
post #1011 of 1959 Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

They sent out an e-mail today announcing the new channels. The e-mail also said "More and more HD channels are on the way from Cable ONE." I guess time will tell (note they didn't give a timetable).

I got the email also. From the picture, it looks like History HD and ABC Family HD must be the other channels they are going to add. I sure hope they have some more in the works.
post #1012 of 1959 Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunknet View Post

ABC HD
Fox HD

After those are on Midco, I will be a very satisfied customer. Until then... partially satisfied.

(This is in Grand Forks, ND.)

You'll have to wait for WDAZ and KBRR to get their stuff together before you'll see those, they have nothing to do with the cable company...unless the cable company gets authorization to carry out of market signals (WDAY and KVRR) in GF - unlikely since both broadcasters break up advertising between GF and Fargo...I think that until WDAZ-DT is on the air, WDAY-DT3 should interrupt the weather and simulcast the WDAZ newscast (or any other time where DAY and DAZ have different programming on, which isn't very often), since a decent antenna in GF will receive WDAY-DT, so people watching ABC-HD OTA can still see the local news (and local ads during newscasts)
post #1013 of 1959 Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Has anyone seen Discovery-HD and TLC-HD show up via clear QAM tuner? They show up in the guide on the TV with the DVR, but when I rescanned with my other TV (gets HD via QAM tuner) they did not show up......
post #1014 of 1959 Old 05-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableTV View Post

Has anyone seen Discovery-HD and TLC-HD show up via clear QAM tuner? They show up in the guide on the TV with the DVR, but when I rescanned with my other TV (gets HD via QAM tuner) they did not show up......

I tried with my one TV that has a clear QAM tuner, and they showed up at 77.425 & 77.428, but they were scrambled. I get them on both of my DVR boxes, but I also have that $5 HD package, so I thought maybe they were part of that. Does anyone who has a DVR, but not the $5 HD package, get them?
post #1015 of 1959 Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egftechman View Post

You'll have to wait for WDAZ and KBRR to get their stuff together before you'll see those, they have nothing to do with the cable company...unless the cable company gets authorization to carry out of market signals (WDAY and KVRR) in GF - unlikely since both broadcasters break up advertising between GF and Fargo...I think that until WDAZ-DT is on the air, WDAY-DT3 should interrupt the weather and simulcast the WDAZ newscast (or any other time where DAY and DAZ have different programming on, which isn't very often), since a decent antenna in GF will receive WDAY-DT, so people watching ABC-HD OTA can still see the local news (and local ads during newscasts)

February 17, 2009, you can't come soon enough.
post #1016 of 1959 Old 05-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

I tried with my one TV that has a clear QAM tuner, and they showed up at 77.425 & 77.428, but they were scrambled. I get them on both of my DVR boxes, but I also have that $5 HD package, so I thought maybe they were part of that. Does anyone who has a DVR, but not the $5 HD package, get them?

Yes, I have a DVR, but not the $5 package, and get both of them. I think that $5 is still only paying for Food Network HD and HGTV HD.
post #1017 of 1959 Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Thank you for contacting us at answers@arvig.com.

The network stations will begin broadcasting in a digital signal. This
is not a High-Definition signal. They are 2 different things. If you
want to receive channels with a High-Definition signal you would still
need a set top box to accommodate this along with an HD television.

If you have any other questions please feel free to call us by dialing
611 from any ACS phone or toll free at 1-866-937-4227.

Thank you 13 May 2008.

This is bad info and misinfo at its worst, All 5 of the Fargo local stations do broadcast a true HD signal at this time. Not just digital, but true HD over the air. I think someone is not giving us the correct info. Just another cable company trying to get extra money for a free over the air signal. They should get their facts correct before they lie to us.
post #1018 of 1959 Old 05-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Ouch, is that ever misleading. I mean, they're right in that just because the signal is digital doesn't mean you won't get some non HD material but they make it sound as if you won't get HD period.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #1019 of 1959 Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

Yes, I have a DVR, but not the $5 package, and get both of them. I think that $5 is still only paying for Food Network HD and HGTV HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

I just scanned for them on my TV, I have TBS and TNT with the other usual ones, but not Discovery, TLC or any of the other new ones. Sucks as usual, and still no CBS or NBC back. What a waste of potential HD, I am just digusted with all of the parties involved at this point.
post #1020 of 1959 Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hillbilly View Post

I just scanned for them on my TV, I have TBS and TNT with the other usual ones, but not Discovery, TLC or any of the other new ones. Sucks as usual, and still no CBS or NBC back. What a waste of potential HD, I am just digusted with all of the parties involved at this point.

I should have stated that National Geographic and HD Theater was found as well.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page