Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1081 of 2005 Old 07-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
He'd better get it fixed for football season or you'll have a LOT of complaints. It's not that far away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2005 Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkamstra View Post

Yes, I too have somehow lost 1061 (WDAY-DT) on my Vista MCE. In my case I am tuning HD locals OTA through a HDHR. What I am unsure of is if this change had something to do with a Vista update or a recent updata of my HDHR firmware and software. In my case, I can tune and watch WDAY-DT (21-5) via the HDHR config software, just not MCE. Having not investigated, it seems MCE has got the wrong frequency somehow. I need to find some time to investigate now that there is some content which is marginally worth recording reappearing on WDAY.

How have people gotten around this issue? I've been purposely procrastinating thinking that MS would eventually fix the guide data but I'm now starting to realize that may never happen.

I understand that you can manually set the frequency, but as soon as the guide data is downloaded again it reverts back to the wrong channel.

Are there any other solutions out there?
post #1083 of 2005 Old 07-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick T View Post

He'd better get it fixed for football season or you'll have a LOT of complaints. It's not that far away!

The problem IS known, so I don't think it'll take much longer for them to fix it.

If you notice that the HD feed is still stuck on SD in a few more days, feel free to call the station at 277-1515 and ask for engineering. Just be polite and ask them if they know what's wrong and when it will be fixed and they should be able to give you a good answer.
post #1084 of 2005 Old 07-07-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbram View Post

How have people gotten around this issue? I've been purposely procrastinating thinking that MS would eventually fix the guide data but I'm now starting to realize that may never happen.

I understand that you can manually set the frequency, but as soon as the guide data is downloaded again it reverts back to the wrong channel.

Are there any other solutions out there?

I have Windows XP MCE 2005. I had a digital tuner put in and couldn't get any of the WDAY DT stations at first. It is a frequency problem. Somehow, MCE gets the wrong physical station. I don't know if these pages will help you for Vista, but I followed the directions on these pages to correct the problem on my computer. I have not had a problem with it since. The guide info for the substations is still wrong, but I can get 6-1, 6-2, and 6-3 now.

The physical location for WDAY DT is 21. You'll need to know that when you get to that part of the instructions.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...e_dec2004.mspx

To learn more about this problem, check out this page:

http://thenears.wordpress.com/2006/0...issues-in-mce/
post #1085 of 2005 Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorFlik View Post

The problem IS known, so I don't think it'll take much longer for them to fix it.

If you notice that the HD feed is still stuck on SD in a few more days, feel free to call the station at 277-1515 and ask for engineering. Just be polite and ask them if they know what's wrong and when it will be fixed and they should be able to give you a good answer.

OK, thanks for the info. I'm always polite.
post #1086 of 2005 Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh. I was hoping KVRR would have had their HD working by this afternoons Twins/Tigers FOX Saturday baseball game. But it is still in SD.
post #1087 of 2005 Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Also, got a rate increase notification in my CableOne bill today. Guess they're abandoning the "go a long time without increases" strategy. Looks like just a $1 increase to a few things, but still...
post #1088 of 2005 Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

Ugh. I was hoping KVRR would have had their HD working by this afternoons Twins/Tigers FOX Saturday baseball game. But it is still in SD.

I sent an e-mail to their engineering yesterday, but haven't gotten a reply. The address DirectorFlik gave for this is Engineering@kvrr.com

Send them an e-mail and let them know you're disappointed if you want. I'm sure the All-Star game will be in SD, too.
post #1089 of 2005 Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 PM

OK, I got a reply. He said they will hopefully have the HD signal back soon, maybe this week.
post #1090 of 2005 Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

Also, got a rate increase notification in my CableOne bill today. Guess they're abandoning the "go a long time without increases" strategy. Looks like just a $1 increase to a few things, but still...

My Midco bill just went up $20, as of this month. They blamed it mostly on gas prices, of course.
post #1091 of 2005 Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Midco has not had any major increases. $20 is a big increase. Are you sure you didn't have a special promotional price end?
post #1092 of 2005 Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Well I think we all appreciate you getting all of us the inside info. I can't speak for everyone but simply having the kind of info your providing makes it much easier to wait it out.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #1093 of 2005 Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

Well I think we all appreciate you getting all of us the inside info. I can't speak for everyone but simply having the kind of info your providing makes it much easier to wait it out.

I agree with that. I greatly appreciate it, too.
post #1094 of 2005 Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM

MY DTVPal has been "finding" additional channels at various weird spots. Of course, when I tune to the "new service found", there is no signal, but they have names, so there was obviously a strong enough signal long enough to pull those station IDs. Can anyone tell me about these?

9-1 L-HD
9-2 L-PTV
9-3 L-Kids
9-4 Create
9-5 L-Plus
9-6 L-MN

Other "phantom" channels I have noticed are channel 7 KCCO, which is a CBS channel broadcasting in Alexandria, and a Prairie Public on channel 16.
post #1095 of 2005 Old 07-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All the 9- channels are most likely PBS from Bemidji...With all the fronts moving through the area lately, there have been many inversions which will cause UHF signals to travel long distances for a short period of time, which is why you're periodically picking up those stations.
post #1096 of 2005 Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corman View Post

Midco has not had any major increases. $20 is a big increase. Are you sure you didn't have a special promotional price end?

I'm sure. I've been with Midco for two years, and I have their top package. It went up $20 effective last billing.
post #1097 of 2005 Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM

HD should be working again for tonight. Not sure if there'll be any prime programming in HD tonight, but weekend sports should show it I'm sure. Let me know if it works as I'm curious to know myself.
post #1098 of 2005 Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Director do you know if Fox and theother locals will be on Directv anytime soon since there new satellite is ready to light up more locals in hd
post #1099 of 2005 Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorFlik View Post

HD should be working again for tonight. Not sure if there'll be any prime programming in HD tonight, but weekend sports should show it I'm sure. Let me know if it works as I'm curious to know myself.

I don't think anything was in HD tonight. I'll let you know if I see anything this weekend.
post #1100 of 2005 Old 07-23-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodace View Post

Director do you know if Fox and theother locals will be on Directv anytime soon since there new satellite is ready to light up more locals in hd

As far as I know we are already rebroadcasted on DirectTV and Dish, but I don't know if the HD signal is carried over. Both Dish and DTV get their feed off of our main broadcast tower. I don't know if only the SD signal can be retrieved that way or if the HD carries over in the network switch. That would probably be a question better directed towards them.
post #1101 of 2005 Old 07-24-2008, 03:38 PM

I am getting an annoyance with KVRR transitions between program and advertisements on the digital signal.

As a preface: I have a Panasonic 42" plasma. We keep it in "JUST" (stretch horizontally proportionally) mode any time we're watching an old 4:3 ratio show to prevent burn. At night, we typically watch the "That 70's Show" reruns at 11 pm.

Everytime lately that the show goes to commercial or returns from commercial, the TV produces a "Channel not available" dialog for a fraction of a second (presumably 1/30th). Along with that it, the TV then responds by resetting the aspect ratio at the same time and we must readjust that every 5-10 minutes when it does this.

It only happens on the show->1st commercial or last commercial->show transitions and only on KVRR 15-1.

My question to DirectorFlick is if this is a known problem when it can be addressed? All of the commercials at this time are of course locals, not a national feed, so that should help narrow it down.

It's similar to the problem last month where the TV picked up KVRR and showed a black screen when selecting it, then would present the permanent "Channel not available" dialog quickly thereafter that stayed until the channel was changed.
post #1102 of 2005 Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM

My Midco bill didn't go up at all.But I did get an ad from them with coupons for 1 free pay per view movie per month for the next 11 months.
post #1103 of 2005 Old 07-24-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replay3030Owner View Post

I am getting an annoyance with KVRR transitions between program and advertisements on the digital signal.

As a preface: I have a Panasonic 42" plasma. We keep it in "JUST" (stretch horizontally proportionally) mode any time we're watching an old 4:3 ratio show to prevent burn. At night, we typically watch the "That 70's Show" reruns at 11 pm.

Everytime lately that the show goes to commercial or returns from commercial, the TV produces a "Channel not available" dialog for a fraction of a second (presumably 1/30th). Along with that it, the TV then responds by resetting the aspect ratio at the same time and we must readjust that every 5-10 minutes when it does this.

It only happens on the show->1st commercial or last commercial->show transitions and only on KVRR 15-1.

My question to DirectorFlick is if this is a known problem when it can be addressed? All of the commercials at this time are of course locals, not a national feed, so that should help narrow it down.

It's similar to the problem last month where the TV picked up KVRR and showed a black screen when selecting it, then would present the permanent "Channel not available" dialog quickly thereafter that stayed until the channel was changed.

I wonder if that's an issue with the tuner in that model.
I did notice while playing with a digital converter box a few weeks ago that every time our station went to commercial the feed suddenly started having dropouts and glitches, but as soon as it went back to programming it was fine. It didn't make any sense because it was all local.
Ayyy this digital stuff is overly sensitive...

I honestly don't know what to tell you about the problem you have. It may be best to call the station during business hours (8 - 5) and describe the problem to one of the engineers. They might be able to make more sense of it. In the meantime, if you know of anyone else with a similar set to yours, see if they have the same problem you do.
post #1104 of 2005 Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodace View Post

I don't work for Fox but I can tell you what the DirecTV installer that delivered a new receiver to my house a few weeks ago told me. He said that we should get HD locals in September, which now appears to coincide with the rediness of the new satellite.
post #1105 of 2005 Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbilt View Post

I don't work for Fox but I can tell you what the DirecTV installer that delivered a new receiver to my house a few weeks ago told me. He said that we should get HD locals in September, which now appears to coincide with the rediness of the new satellite.

Thanks for the information, I'm hoping it lights up before football season.
post #1106 of 2005 Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I see CableONE has added ABC Family HD (420), and Disney HD (426), to their lineup.
post #1107 of 2005 Old 07-26-2008, 06:46 PM

OK, I just saw a few minutes of the baseball game on KVRR this afternoon. It was in HD and looked awesome. Like I said, I only saw it for a few minutes, but it sure looks like it's working well now.
post #1108 of 2005 Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbilt View Post

I'll believe it when I see it. Installers often don't really know anything other than how to install the equipment. There was a post on this same thread from back in March where someone said a DirecTV installer told him back then that they should have HD locals here in a month or so. 4 months later and they say another 2 months? Hmmm....
post #1109 of 2005 Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM

With Launch of 44 New HD Markets More Than 88 Percent of U.S.
Television Homes Will Have Access to Local HD Channels from DIRECTV

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 28, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to strengthen its HD presence with the addition of 44 new HD local channel markets. By the end of 2008, DIRECTV will provide local HD broadcast channels in 121 cities, representing more than 88 percent of U.S. TV households. DIRECTV will begin the rollout of the new HD local markets in August and continue through the end of the year. The new markets include:

Augusta, Ga.
Bangor, Maine
Baton Rouge, La.
Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas
Boise, Idaho
Burlington, Vt.-Plattsburgh, N.Y.
Butte-Bozeman, Mont.
Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill.
Charleston, S.C.
Chattanooga, Tenn.
Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.
Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.
Davenport, Iowa-Rock Island, Ill., Moline, Ill.
Dayton, Ohio
Des Moines-Ames, Iowa
Dothan, Ala.
El Paso, Texas
Evansville, Ind.
Fort Smith, Ark.
Fort Wayne, Ind.
Greenville-New Bern-Washington, N.C.
Harlingen-Brownsville, Texas
Harrisonburg, Va.
La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wis.
Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark.
Macon, Ga.
Lincoln-Hastings, Neb.
Mobile AL-Pensacola, Fla.
Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.
Norfolk-Newport News, Va.
Palm Springs, Calif.
Peoria-Bloomington, Ill.
Richmond-Petersburg, Va.
Rockford, Ill.
Rochester, N.Y.
Savannah, Ga.
Sioux Falls, S.D.
South Bend-Elkhart, Ind.
Springfield-Holyoke, Mass.
Syracuse, N.Y.
Tallahassee, Fla.
Toledo, Ohio
Traverse City-Cadillac, Mich.
Youngstown, Ohio

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4800002
post #1110 of 2005 Old 07-28-2008, 05:22 PM

DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels
on Tap for Mid-August
Jul 28 at 10:26
Profile hits: QU1

DIRECTV Adding More Than 30 New HD Channels and is First to Offer All HD
Programming in MPEG-4 AVC and Dolby Digital; Will Offer HD Movies in 1080p Later
This Year

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider,
continues to dominate the HD landscape by delivering significantly more quality
national HD channels than any other television provider in the nation via the
most advanced technology. Beginning August 14, DIRECTV will launch more than 30
additional HD channels, bringing the total HD channel lineup to 130.

DIRECTV will also transmit all of its HD programming in the MPEG-4
Advanced Video Coding standard, by the end of this month - the first to do so in
the industry. All HD programming will also be available in the Dolby Digital
audio format, and later this year, DIRECTV will begin offering movies in 1080p,
the highest resolution format available for HD video enthusiasts and the same
format used by Blu-Ray HD DVDs.

Among the new HD channels that DIRECTV will launch next month are Showtime
Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional
DIRECTV HD pay per view channels and an additional 23 Regional Sports Networks
(RSNs) in HD 24 hours a day.

"Despite all the sound and fury of confusing HD claims from our
competitors, our customers understand that DIRECTV is the destination for the
most compelling and complete lineup of HD content," said Derek Chang, executive
vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "Our message is
clear - DIRECTV is the content leader, and our delivery of the best quality HD
via the most advanced technology is one way we continue to dominate this
category and offer our more than 17 million customers nationwide an unparalleled
entertainment experience."

In addition to its full lineup of linear HD channels, DIRECTV continues to
lead the industry with the most sports HD programming available, by broadcasting
exclusive, interactive sports packages like NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), NCAA(R) MEGA
MARCH MADNESS(TM) and NASCAR HOTPASS(TM) all in crystal-clear HD. DIRECTV will
also continue to add HD content to its newly launched DIRECTV on Demand
platform.

The full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, including the new channels, and
details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are
available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com.

With the DIRECTV 11 satellite now part of the fleet and the launch of the
DIRECTV 12 satellite next year, DIRECTV will have the capacity to deliver 200
national HD channels and 1,500 local HD and digital channels in addition to new
advanced programming services for customers nationwide.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4800004
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page