Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 1959 Old 04-04-2005, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know anything about the WDAY April's fools joke but I did hear back from channels 4 & 11. Both are behind schedule and don't expect to be broadcasting HD until August (ch. 11) or Sept (ch. 4). Six months ago I was hoping to be watching the Masters in HD this April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1959 Old 04-07-2005, 06:52 AM

Just as long as CBS can get their HD on in time for next year's March Madness...
post #93 of 1959 Old 04-07-2005, 09:08 AM

I was hoping CBS would be online in time for the NFL season. I guess Sept. is pretty close. I was really hoping for NBC to be up by July 2nd, for the 4th of July night NASCAR race in Daytona.

Too bad CBS isn't up this weekend, for Masters coverage. Universal-HD has coverage today and tomorrow; the same time USA is on with SD coverage.
post #94 of 1959 Old 04-26-2005, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've just created a Fargo/Moorhead HDTV status page. See http://brian.glaeske.name/ht/Fargo-HDTV/ for the latest on the status of HDTV in Fargo, ND.

Let me know of any information you would like to see on the page or help me correct any misinformation.

Thanks,
Brian Glaeske
b r i a n @ g l a e s k e . n a m e
post #95 of 1959 Old 04-27-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Glaeske
Let me know of any information you would like to see on the page or help me correct any misinformation.

How about adding an rss feed?

--T.
post #96 of 1959 Old 04-27-2005, 08:55 AM

Web site looks good.

If I think of any information that might be good to add, I'll let ya know.
post #97 of 1959 Old 06-05-2005, 07:38 AM

FYI,

CableONE has added Universal-HD to their HD channel lineup, on Channel # 490. I caught part of the Athens Olympic reruns this morning, and it looks pretty good.
post #98 of 1959 Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. I added it to the site. Their web site doesn't contain any information about it yet.

I think it is about time for me to send out my information requests to the locals and see what is up. I'll provide a heads up if I find out anything new.

Brian G.
post #99 of 1959 Old 06-07-2005, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Got some fresh, or not so fresh status, on the big 3 (KVLY, WDAY, KXJB). Guess, what? Nothing has changed. KVLY, KXJB are still looking at 8/1/2005 (+60days for KXJB) and WDAY is still in denial.

From an NBC, CBS perspective this is good news. It has been very rare in the past for me to get Charley Johnson to indicate the same date any two times I asked him about it. Still kinda bites because we still might miss CBS HDTV programming in the fall. There will probably be alot of glitches that will need to get worked out before we get a stable picture.

I'm not even going to go into my feelings on WDAY at this time.

I've copied the e-mail text I received from both Charley and Sue into the status page at my site. Maybe, I'll look into a RSS feed for it.

Brian G.
post #100 of 1959 Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks for posting the new channel. CableONE has now added it to their site too. Hopefully they're just getting warmed up!
post #101 of 1959 Old 06-13-2005, 12:21 PM

Ditto on the thanks for the 490 heads-up.

Definitely not the most compelling programming - I just couldn't drag myself to the couch to watch the Tremors 3 and Tremors 4 marathon this weekend... (I was always more of a Tina Yothers fan than Michael Gross).

Would have been nice to have last fall for the Olympics though - maybe NBC will do some simulcasting for the Winter Olympics on this channel next February...
post #102 of 1959 Old 06-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

I am amazed at how far behind Fargo is in the TV world. The local stations are extremely slow, and the cable company is one of the worst in the U.S. What ever happened with the study on having a second cable company?
post #103 of 1959 Old 06-28-2005, 09:00 AM

I don't think there was ever a study on having a second cable company - I think the study was about having a replacement cable company when the city's franchise with CableONE ran out. So there would still only be one, but it would be a different one. And I think it didn't go anywhere because CableONE got re-signed or whatever. That's what I remember anyway.
post #104 of 1959 Old 06-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

I was not in Fargo at the time this happened, so I was just going by what I heard and remembered. Either the people of Fargo made a mistake in the study, or they didn't use the results. Even having Midcontinent Communications would have been an improvement. Getting in someone bigger would have been much better.
post #105 of 1959 Old 06-29-2005, 06:56 AM

Actually. CableOne is bigger nationwide, with more subscribers than Midcontinent. On the NCTA website, CableOne ranks 10th, while Midcontinent ranks 19th. I have put the link below to document my source. Being a NASCAR fan, I am very happy that CableOne offers TNTHD, so at least in the second half of the season we will get a lot of the nascar races (including if KVLY is up Aug. 1st). MidContinent doesn't offer TNTHD, but I guess with any comparison you could find both positive and negative features.

http://www.ncta.com/industry_overvie...cfm?PageID=327
post #106 of 1959 Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry I wasn't clear, but they were meant to be two different ideas. The first being Midcontinent who offers HD in South Dakota, where I currently am. It is nice to have some local stations in HD. I agree that they need TNT-HD and lot more HD. Search Black Hills Fibercom for a good amount of HD. The think I like about Midcontinent in Fargo is getting phone service to have all three services from one company. The second idea, and better in my opinion, is to have a company that is bigger than CableOne. Maybe TWC.
post #107 of 1959 Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 AM

Gotcha. Of all the large operators, I think TWC (Time Warner Cable) may have the overall best HD lineup. I'm not sure if Fargo/Moorhead could get them to come into such a small tv market. It would be nice though. I would love to be able to get HDNet, INHD, Discovery-HD.

If you look at other CableOne system channel lineups, they seem to do a good job of getting local HD on, once the local station gets the signal on the air. I think once KVLY, KXJB, ( & maybe WDAY someday ) get their HD going, CableOne will get the signal on cable fairly quickly (hopefully).

Anyone heard any new rumors on new HD channels comming to cable?
post #108 of 1959 Old 07-04-2005, 08:02 PM

Think I saw Dandeson mension this on another thread - sure glad we don't get FSN in HD - I'm quite satisfied with a SQUISHED standard def signal tonight. Looks GREAT in stretched mode (ok, a little sarcasm there).

Pretty funny - I wish I was at Doolittles or Ground round - it would be the first time ever that they've shown a baseball game in the correct aspect ratio on their plasma televisions!
post #109 of 1959 Old 07-05-2005, 08:24 AM

It was horrible. Apparently FSN didn't crop the picture for 4:3 SD, but instead just squished it to fit 4:3 SD. In streached 16:9 mode, it looked very much like SD widescreen (I guess it was - downressed, squished, and then streached), but obviously not HD.

I think almost every sports bar I have been in, that has a plasma tv, just has a steached analog picture on it, and never an HD signal. Pretty sad.

Also, Feddie had mentioned Black Hills Fibercom's HD lineup, so I had to go online and check it out. Wow, I am jelious of them. Not only do they get ESPN-HD, TNT-HD, & Universal HD, but they also get ESPN2-HD, Outdoor Channel 2 HD, Discovery HD, HDNet, and then the local ABC, FOX in HD. (drool).
post #110 of 1959 Old 07-10-2005, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I've heard a rumor that KVLY might be up and running this week (7/11/2005) and that KXJB is only a month behind.

Brian G.
post #111 of 1959 Old 07-11-2005, 07:20 AM

Awsome rumor. Thanks Brian. Let's hope it holds true. If anyone with an OTA setup sees their signal, let us know. Let's also hope that cable picks the signal up right away.
post #112 of 1959 Old 07-15-2005, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well nothing to report. I directly accessed the KVLY channel number and I couldn't tune a signal. I'm worried that my rooftop antenna needs to be repositioned. I suppose I can point it KVLY's tower and hope that I can continue to tune everyone else.

Brian G.
post #113 of 1959 Old 07-20-2005, 08:49 PM

Just caught the end of tonight's (7/20/2005) newscast. Somewhere embeded in the uncomfortable banter of the anchors, I heard a mention that the signal for HD should be up on the Blanchard, ND tower next week. No committed date ... just stated engineers were working on it and the signal should be up within the week ...

Who is carrying local broadcasts of Vikings games this year ... someone please tell me it is NOT WDAY!!!!
post #114 of 1959 Old 07-21-2005, 06:31 AM

FOX still has rights for the NFC games. They, and CBS, resigned their contracts last year, to continue with NFC & AFC games respectfully. WDAY (ABC) still has one year left of Monday Night Football. So our beloved Vikes will still be on KVRR, except for the two homes games against AFC teams, which will be on KXJB (CBS). I believe the Vikes have one Sunday night game, which will be on ESPN.
post #115 of 1959 Old 07-21-2005, 09:16 AM

SpoonMan: I'm assuming you mean the KVLY newscast? You didn't mention which station you were watching (and I don't know which tower is in Blanchard).
post #116 of 1959 Old 07-22-2005, 02:34 PM

Yes, KVLY. Sorry, was referring to the post before mine. Should have specifically mentioned the station ...

Damnit, I was thinking the MNF was going to ESPN this year ...
post #117 of 1959 Old 07-29-2005, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Damnit, I was thinking the MNF was going to ESPN this year ...

MNF is on life support. SNF will be on NBC with John Madden. So we should see games in HDTV (thumbs crossed) on KVLY this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8397476

Brian G.
b r i a n @ g l a e s k e . n a m e
post #118 of 1959 Old 07-29-2005, 09:12 PM

There is still one year left on the old NFL TV contracts, so SNF will still be on ESPN this season. Starting in 2006, is when SNF moves to NBC, and MNF moves to ESPN.

Any sightings of KVLY-HD yet?
post #119 of 1959 Old 07-31-2005, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I was thinking we were already in 2006. Silly me.

Well, I thought I would share my perspectives of the CableONE HD service so far. First off, the negatives.
  • Audio drop-outs. A couple here and there, but nothing too major.
  • During replay, lip-sync issues. This is fairly minor and I only notice it on some material. This might be a programming issue.
  • DVR != PVR. The DVR is barely functional.
  • The programming guide is pretty bad to worse. 1/3 of the screen real-estate taken up in ads.
  • I can't seem to figure out how to remove the unneeded channels.
  • There is only 2 days of programming in the guide.

To be fair, I'm comparing this box to my ReplayTV. My ReplayTV is still worth the $10/month tax.

The good things (I did not preview HBO-HD or SHO-HD):
  • Into the West was a treat to watch in HD. The presentation of this mini-series was overall pretty excellent.
  • Baseball on ESPN is also quite nice. I just wish they had more of the programming in HD.
  • TNT's shining light is the Closer. Very good quality all around, except for the presentation of the Matrix which was missing the LFE channel.
  • Universal-HD quality is quite good, but the programming is sort of hit or miss. Battlestar Galatica was good while it was on.

Is the CableONE service worth the extra money they are charging? It is about $16/month more than their Limited plan, $10 for the box and $6 for the HD service. Right now, I don't think that it is worth the cost. Of course, there is the potential that they will add more channels to their HD lineup in the future. Scott Geston, the general manager, has promised to put the locals on as soon as they start broadcasting, so that might be another bonus.

If they lowered the cost to about $10 for service and equipment, I might be lured back. We'll see how it goes.

Brian G.
P.S. Thumbs crossed for KVLY, going live tomorrow (8/1).
post #120 of 1959 Old 08-02-2005, 06:12 AM

Anybody try tuning KVLY-HD last night? I tried scanning with my Windows Media Center box to pick up the digital signal and found nothing. I still just get digital PBS, KVRR, and WDAY.

I think those of us in Fargo will probably need an omni-directional anteanna to get all the local digitals. The 3 I get now are with a fairly directional antenna pointed at KVRR's local office. WDAY and the PBS towers must be in that general direction, but I think the KVLY/KXJB towers are way out of town and several degrees away from the towers for the other stations mentioned above.

later,
Gary
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page