AVS Forum banner

Fargo, ND - HDTV

382K views 2K replies 167 participants last post by  bm10k 
#1 · (Edited)
Check out http://brian.glaeske.name/ht/Fargo-HDTV/index.html for the latest information on current broadcast status in Fargo/Moorhead.

Note: This thread is also serving the Grand Forks, ND market as well. Please send me a private message for any specific updates you would like to see about the status of GF HD.

Update on 10/5/2020. The above-mentioned page has been taken down.

---

For all those lurking around the Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN area who are chomping at the bit for a little bit of HDTV, then I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that we have 3 of 5 stations broadcasting in DTV, the bad news is that only 1 of 3 is broadcasting true HDTV and the other two have no plans in the works for passing the HD signal from their respective networks. Somewhat good news is that the NBC and CBS stations are starting the transition but are still months away.

KFME (PBS), channel 23 is broadcasting PBS's 1080i from 7pm CT to 10pm CT, multi-casting the rest of the time. KVRR (Fox), channel 19 is broadcasting a standard definition signal, but not Fox's widescreen enhanced format. WDAY (ABC), channel 21 is broadcasting a standard definition signal and have no plans to show ABC's 720p broadcasts. It should also be noted that WDAY is not even passing a stereo signal with their broadcasts and instead are sending a mono.

The station managers of both WDAY and KVRR have been actually pretty rude to me regarding my inquiries. WDAY won't reply if they don't like the question and KVRR just doesn't care.

KVLY (NBC), channel 58 and KXJB (CBS), channel 38 are not currently broadcasting even a digital signal. According to the station manager (these stations are in a cost sharing agreement), the signals will be turned on sometime around Thanksgiving of this year and they intend to pass the 1080i signals from both NBC and CBS to us. This is sort of good news, but I wish it was in time for the Olympics and the fall season.

The only FM cable provider, CableONE, is providing a minimal set of HD programming in the form of HBO and Showtime HD with plans to add ESPN-HD and Discovery. However, the cost of these channels is pretty prohibitive in my book. It is nearly cheaper to just get VOOM and keep your CableONE connection.

My only request for those reading this in the FM area... Please call and e-mail the station managers of these stations asking them about HDTV. The only way that they will know what the demand for HDTV is, is if we let them know we exist.

Brian G.

See less See more
#1,102 ·
With Launch of 44 New HD Markets More Than 88 Percent of U.S.

Television Homes Will Have Access to Local HD Channels from DIRECTV

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 28, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to strengthen its HD presence with the addition of 44 new HD local channel markets. By the end of 2008, DIRECTV will provide local HD broadcast channels in 121 cities, representing more than 88 percent of U.S. TV households. DIRECTV will begin the rollout of the new HD local markets in August and continue through the end of the year. The new markets include:

Augusta, Ga.

Bangor, Maine

Baton Rouge, La.

Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas

Boise, Idaho

Burlington, Vt.-Plattsburgh, N.Y.

Butte-Bozeman, Mont.

Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill.

Charleston, S.C.

Chattanooga, Tenn.

Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.

Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.

Davenport, Iowa-Rock Island, Ill., Moline, Ill.

Dayton, Ohio

Des Moines-Ames, Iowa

Dothan, Ala.

El Paso, Texas

Evansville, Ind.

Fort Smith, Ark.

Fort Wayne, Ind.

Greenville-New Bern-Washington, N.C.

Harlingen-Brownsville, Texas

Harrisonburg, Va.

La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wis.

Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark.

Macon, Ga.

Lincoln-Hastings, Neb.

Mobile AL-Pensacola, Fla.

Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.

Norfolk-Newport News, Va.

Palm Springs, Calif.

Peoria-Bloomington, Ill.

Richmond-Petersburg, Va.

Rockford, Ill.

Rochester, N.Y.

Savannah, Ga.

Sioux Falls, S.D.

South Bend-Elkhart, Ind.

Springfield-Holyoke, Mass.

Syracuse, N.Y.

Tallahassee, Fla.

Toledo, Ohio

Traverse City-Cadillac, Mich.

Youngstown, Ohio

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4800002

#1,103 ·
DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

on Tap for Mid-August

Jul 28 at 10:26

Profile hits: QU1

DIRECTV Adding More Than 30 New HD Channels and is First to Offer All HD

Programming in MPEG-4 AVC and Dolby Digital; Will Offer HD Movies in 1080p Later

This Year

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider,

continues to dominate the HD landscape by delivering significantly more quality

national HD channels than any other television provider in the nation via the

most advanced technology. Beginning August 14, DIRECTV will launch more than 30

additional HD channels, bringing the total HD channel lineup to 130.

DIRECTV will also transmit all of its HD programming in the MPEG-4

Advanced Video Coding standard, by the end of this month - the first to do so in

the industry. All HD programming will also be available in the Dolby Digital

audio format, and later this year, DIRECTV will begin offering movies in 1080p,

the highest resolution format available for HD video enthusiasts and the same

format used by Blu-Ray HD DVDs.

Among the new HD channels that DIRECTV will launch next month are Showtime

Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional

DIRECTV HD pay per view channels and an additional 23 Regional Sports Networks

(RSNs) in HD 24 hours a day.

"Despite all the sound and fury of confusing HD claims from our

competitors, our customers understand that DIRECTV is the destination for the

most compelling and complete lineup of HD content," said Derek Chang, executive

vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "Our message is

clear - DIRECTV is the content leader, and our delivery of the best quality HD

via the most advanced technology is one way we continue to dominate this

category and offer our more than 17 million customers nationwide an unparalleled

entertainment experience."

In addition to its full lineup of linear HD channels, DIRECTV continues to

lead the industry with the most sports HD programming available, by broadcasting

exclusive, interactive sports packages like NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), NCAA(R) MEGA

MARCH MADNESS(TM) and NASCAR HOTPASS(TM) all in crystal-clear HD. DIRECTV will

also continue to add HD content to its newly launched DIRECTV on Demand

platform.

The full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, including the new channels, and

details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are

available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com.

With the DIRECTV 11 satellite now part of the fleet and the launch of the

DIRECTV 12 satellite next year, DIRECTV will have the capacity to deliver 200

national HD channels and 1,500 local HD and digital channels in addition to new

advanced programming services for customers nationwide.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P4800004

#1,105 ·
Guys, I am new hear but not new to HD in Fargo. I am the Lead Technician for a Satellite Company in Fargo with 13 years of experience under my belt. I sell and install both Directv and Dish Network.

I have been told by Dishnetwork that the HD Locals will be broadcast on DishNetwork as of 7-31-2008. These will be broadcast from a 2nd satellite dish pointed at 61.5.

For those of you who love HD and have not been able to be served by Satellite B4. 61.5 is straight east. No SOUTHERN EXPOSURE to be conceerned with.

AUG 1, 2008 Dish will be coming out with some new packages that are HD only called the Turbo Packages. I do not have the details on these packages available with me at home but I do remeber them being a great deal.

Now that Dish and Directv both offer almost every decent cable channel in HD, there really is not any reason to settle with other providers. I know many people chose cable over satellite for internet reasons. I am also a Qwest subagent and you can get DSL with out even needing phone service now.

I won't post the name of my company here because I really don't need the shameless plug, but if you have any questions my name is Paul Hagen. We are the only local company that does Satellite TV only still in Buisness. Been in the same office since 1998 on 13th Ave S in Fargo. I have given you some hints so feel free to pick up a phone book and stop in or call if you wish to know more. I personally will not be in the office on Thursday due to some installs on Pelican lake but any one there can answer your questions.

Paul

You Friendly neighboorhood ANTI-cable Guy.

#1,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklouder /forum/post/14405114

I have been told by Dishnetwork that the HD Locals will be broadcast on DishNetwork as of 7-31-2008. These will be broadcast from a 2nd satellite dish pointed at 61.5.

For those of you who love HD and have not been able to be served by Satellite B4. 61.5 is straight east. No SOUTHERN EXPOSURE to be conceerned with.

this would be one reason why not get dish....again two dishes...line of sight to the 61.5 not very good in a lot places....very low in the sky...apartment dwellers no luck...one side of the building no HD...those on the west....and people on the east...no access to the 110/119 which dish does from

thats why directv will be better cause all hd is coming from either the 99 or the 103...and either side of an apartment can see it....sorry for the north facing people....

#1,110 ·
URnote96,

I will jump out on a limb here and say that I will agree that DIRECTV is a better service. I have been a DIRECTV sub since 1996. I Have been selling, servicing, and installing DISH, DIRECT, Wildblue, Primestar (now defunct), CBAND, DIRECWAY, Starband (now defunct), etc since 1996. I can also tell you what happens to people who call 1-800 numbers for anything. YOU GET BURNED.

DISH NETWORK has announced it's new single dish solutions called the dish 1000.4 to debut on Aug 20th. THe dish 1000.4 is an MPG4 only dish that will be able to pick up all programming, on what is being called the Eastern Arc. 61.5, 72, and 77. This will be a one dish solution that is not the same as DIRECTV's huge annoying 45lb dish that sits high on the roof line and collects wind. And since DTV is to cheap to provide grade 3 or higher bolts the support legs have a habit of breaking off at the bolts. Hence the dish moves. Dish's 1000.4 will be just slightly larger than the common dish 500. Not to mention DISH Nets 1 wire solution and dual tuners. Most Home only have one wire available at each cable jack, and unless someone wants to retro a house or come in through the exterior wall, getting the 2 wires necessary to run DTV's DVR can be a pain in the arse not to mention lots of ugly black cables running all over the outside of someones nice new white sided home. DISH's technology is better than DIRECTV's technology on that point.

A person could argue all day about who is better and what not, the point is both services offer in excess of 100 Channels in HD compared to the small few offered by Cableone.

Just food for thought. I hope I did not offend anyone.

#1,113 ·
Rocklouder, what stations are all included in the TurboHD packages for the Fargo area?

I've seen Dish claiming 100 stations in HD in the packages, but I can't find that many in any of the packages I've seen at their website, so I'm just wondering if they include more for various regions of the country.

#1,116 ·
Say this may be a dumb question and may have been answered earlier, but I don't want to read 38 pages and am new to over the air HDTV stuff.

So if I go out and by an HDTV antenna do I just hook the regular ole cable straight into my Samsung tv, or do I need some sort of digital converter to plug in an HDMI or composite cable. Please help.

#1,118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutz /forum/post/14473841

Say this may be a dumb question and may have been answered earlier, but I don't want to read 38 pages and am new to over the air HDTV stuff.

So if I go out and by an HDTV antenna do I just hook the regular ole cable straight into my Samsung tv, or do I need some sort of digital converter to plug in an HDMI or composite cable. Please help.

If you know the exact model of your TV we can look it up to see what your options are for HDTV. Some TV's have built-in tuners for HDTV and some don't so we'd need to know exactly which model it is.

#1,120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunknet /forum/post/14456279

Anyone know when FOX HD is coming to Grand Forks? Now that ABC/WDAZ is here... FOX/KBRR is the only hold out.

I read a few months ago that they are having issues with space for their digital transmitter... any news on this?

Does anyone know who and where to contact someone at KBRR/FOX to find out if we are going to get an HD feed in GF?

#1,121 ·
I don't know who to contact, but I am guessing (once again) there are going to be plenty of angry Vikings/football fans in Grand Forks. It kills me enough to have to watch baseball on FOX in standard definition.

If we can get fricking Animal Planet in HD, we should be able to have FOX too. KBRR: Get it done. (I'm not even a football fan...)

#1,122 ·
Anyone know where I could find a Channel Master 4221 (3021) {4 bay} or 4228 {8 bay} antenna around the F/M area? Or possibly a DB-4/DB-8 or Weingard 4400/8800?

(Basically looking for 4 or 8 bay UHF bowtie antennas with reflector rods or screen, not the typical yagi style)

Shipping is outrageous on the CM's due to UPS's 'dimensional weight' rules where they charge 70 pound rates on a

Ace used to sell these but I haven't found them at the 2 stores I looked at. Even Fleet Farm sold a 4 bay about eight years ago but no longer, they just have the yagi's and the rip-off in-home 'amplifieds'.

Does anyone here have a CM 4 or 8 bay? I intend to put my in my attic and am wondering if the '45 mile' range of the CM4 will work in Fargo, or if I need a 8 bay, though it has a narrower range which might also be a problem since the angle width is about 25 degrees to the NNW to all stations except Fox.

#1,123 ·
KBRR is one of our satellite stations. The transmitter lives in Thief River Falls. At this time there is only an analog transmitter there as the site is too small to accommodate both. I have heard that there are plans to expand the building so the digital can be installed, but I don't know when. If I find out anything new soon I'll let you guys know.

You can always direct your questions to engineering@kvrr.com or call 701-277-1515 and ask for engineering if you'd like.

#1,124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stischucky /forum/post/14477144

I just went out and bought a rca indoor antenna from best buy and my tv model is a JVC HD52G787

Any idea on where to even start getting local HD channels(primarily CBS and NBC) to come through to the antenna...I'm an idiot in this sort of dept.

I looked up the specs on that model and it should be able to get your HD channels with the antenna without a separate box.

Every set is different so honestly I'd just check the "getting started" section of the manual. In general they should work just like your old TV. You plug in the antenna cable, turn it on, and go to the channels you want to watch. They'll usually have some kind of auto-scan feature in the menu so you only can flip through channels you actually get.

Your TV has both analog and digital tuners so you may have to choose in a menu somewhere whether you're using analog or digital. If so that would be the biggest difference with this set.

#1,125 ·
Well after long consideration between Dish Network and DTV I went with Dish Network. I read too many bad reviews about DTVs DVR for me to take the plunge. In the end, technology won over content. I know DTV has more HD, but the Dish DVR is a dream to use. 55 hours of HD recording and I can record OTA HD signals. To the best of my knowledge DTVs newest DVRs do not have that functionality. Anyway, Dish will catch up eventually in HD channels and I don't really need to watch some of that crap anyway, much less in HD.

In the end, I think EITHER service is far above what Cable One can offer. After years of watching my bills go up, up, up I said enough when my TV/Internet reached $145/month. I should save about $30 with Dish and I'll keep my internet with Cable One.

Also, was I surprised to find out that only one cable was needed to get a dual tuner with OTA antenna feeds to my DVR. I was prepared to have a hole drilled in the side of my house for the install. Not so! The installer used my existing wiring for my feed. Icing on the cake!

#1,126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehli /forum/post/14503797

In the end, I think EITHER service is far above what Cable One can offer. After years of watching my bills go up, up, up I said enough when my TV/Internet reached $145/month. I should save about $30 with Dish and I'll keep my internet with Cable One.

Out of curiosity, how are you saving $30? I know everyone has different needs, but whenever I run the numbers they come out about the same, and my CableONE bill is about the same as yours was. If you're willing, could you post a breakdown of what your cable bill was and what your new Dish bill is? Removing any promo rates of course. Thanks!