3Likes

post #1651 of 1959 Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman21 View Post

This may not be the best place to ask this but would anyone from the Fargo/Moorhead or even up to Grand Forks be up for a AVS get together? I don't see alot of F/M people posting in other areas here so I thought I would ask here. I know that some of the home theater people get together now and again to show of each other's theater setups. So it could be something like that or more informal at some member's home or some restaurant/bar. What do you guys think?

I'll go. I ain't scared!

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1959 Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 AM

This just came across my mind...

I think some people in Grand Forks may have signal issues with WDAZ because radio station XL93 (92.9 FM) transmits from a tower just north of East Grand Forks. The second harmonic of 92.9 is 185.8. Right in the middle of VHF TV Channel 8.

Now before the DTV transition, I didn't notice ANY interference on channel 8 in analog, but then again I live on the south side of GF (Near the mall) which is farther from the tower. So, I think the issue might be most significant in northern EGF, possibly downtown GF (where there is also multipath from the buildings) maybe parts of northern GF, especially if your converter box has poor front-end selectivity.

Also, radio station KJ108 (107.5 FM) transmits from the same tower as XL93, and the second harmonic of 107.5 is 215, which is in VHF TV Channel 13, which may explain why some people can't get KFME from Fargo on a rooftop antenna (even without the interference, KFME is a fringe signal so a rooftop antenna is needed).

Both XL93 and KJ108 are 100,000 watts which is the highest power an FM station in the USA can transmit.

The long term solution is to install a FM Trap (an 88-108 MHz rejection filter) on the input of each converter box, or at a point after the antenna, but common to all the sets. Inexpensive filters cost about $5.00. (Or just subscribe to cable or satellite, which I do have but OTA HDTV isn't as compressed as it doesn't share bandwith with as many other channels)
post #1653 of 1959 Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 PM

Any word on KBRR's progress on HD? I'm on the south end of Grand Forks and subscribe to Midcontinent. Looking for a non-satellite Fox HD solution. I would pick up an HD antenna if need be.

Anyone know if there are any plans to get Fox in HD on Midco?

Thanks,

AT
post #1654 of 1959 Old 02-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Does anyone have any idea when the HD feeds from around here are going to make it on to DirecTV? I just got DirecTV a few weeks ago and am really liking it, but its annoying when I want to watch something on network TV in HD to switch back to the antenna and then dealing with the random signal drop outs. I can pick up all of the digital channels with my indoor antenna, but I have to keep repositioning it depending on which network I want to get, which gets old fast. Also KVLY and KXJB's 1080i encoding looks like crap with anything really fast motion, so I'm hoping it will look better over satellite.

Any word?

Also, any chance DirecTV will be picking up the ThisTV feed on 11.2 as well?
post #1655 of 1959 Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM

I talked to Direct TV yesterday about local Hd( I`m in Grand Forks), they didn`t have a date, just that`s coming......been hearing that for the 4 years I`ve been a customer. Minot and Bismarck have them I was told....not much longer for us...!?
post #1656 of 1959 Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Happened to see the Manager's Mailbag on KVLY last night and Charley had a couple interesting pieces of news.

First he said they hoped to have the announcement scroll in HD by the summer, so they won't have to switch to the SD feed to scroll the announcements. I presume it will be for both KVLY and KXJB, although he didn't specifically say that. It's on top of their technical improvement list, or something like that. He didn't mention that WDAY has had this in place for a couple years already.

Also, he said they've received permission from NBC to air on channel 11.2 the shows that are pre-empted by their upcoming state tournament coverage on 11.1. They will air at the regularly scheduled time, just on the subchannel instead of the main channel. Because they're doing this, they will be unable to replay them on 11.1 later, as they've done in the past.

I assume they won't air in HD, but the 1am replays weren't in HD either, so no loss there. He also said he was hoping 11.2 would be available on more cable companies in time for this. I'm on Midco so I already had it, now I just have to schedule my DVR manually for the shows I want to record.
post #1657 of 1959 Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 PM

So, I'm not too hopeful of seeing any of the HDTV feeds on DirecTV anytime soon, so I was going to get their off air antenna tuner thingy.

The other irritation I have is having to move the antenna to pick up different channels.

I live between Concordia College and the River, and according to antennaweb, the towers for PBS, KVLY, WDAY, and KXJB are all to the north west, and KVRR's tower is to the south west. Is there a decent indoor antenna that will help me achieve a situation where I can get all 5 of the stations around here without having to move my antenna at all?
post #1658 of 1959 Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

Happened to see the Manager's Mailbag on KVLY last night and Charley had a couple interesting pieces of news.

First he said they hoped to have the announcement scroll in HD by the summer, so they won't have to switch to the SD feed to scroll the announcements. I presume it will be for both KVLY and KXJB, although he didn't specifically say that. It's on top of their technical improvement list, or something like that. He didn't mention that WDAY has had this in place for a couple years already.

Also, he said they've received permission from NBC to air on channel 11.2 the shows that are pre-empted by their upcoming state tournament coverage on 11.1. They will air at the regularly scheduled time, just on the subchannel instead of the main channel. Because they're doing this, they will be unable to replay them on 11.1 later, as they've done in the past.

I assume they won't air in HD, but the 1am replays weren't in HD either, so no loss there. He also said he was hoping 11.2 would be available on more cable companies in time for this. I'm on Midco so I already had it, now I just have to schedule my DVR manually for the shows I want to record.

Since they have no HD production capabilities, wouldn't it make more sense to put the tourneys on 11.2, and leave the NBC programming in HD on 11.1?
post #1659 of 1959 Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Yeah why cant they just put that on 11.2 instead? I dont like the North Dakota Tourneys, and I havnt seen the Minnesota ones in years. Dunno if anyone around here even carries them.
post #1660 of 1959 Old 02-18-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

Yeah why cant they just put that on 11.2 instead? I dont like the North Dakota Tourneys, and I havnt seen the Minnesota ones in years. Dunno if anyone around here even carries them.

I'd venture to say that the State Basketball tourneys (well, the Class B ones anyway) are some of the higher rated television programs in the state... so I think there would be a pretty big outcry if that happened...
post #1661 of 1959 Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

I'd venture to say that the State Basketball tourneys (well, the Class B ones anyway) are some of the higher rated television programs in the state... so I think there would be a pretty big outcry if that happened...

It would give the cable systems a big incentive to add 11.2 to their systems...Other than cable and satellite carriage issues, it shouldn't lose any viewers on 11.2 vs 11.1 (if you can receive 11-1 OTA, you can get 11-2, it is on the same signal)
post #1662 of 1959 Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:

KCPM 27 carries the MN tourneys, but they have been off the air for a while, although if you're paying for cable, you might still get them
post #1663 of 1959 Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egftechman View Post

KCPM 27 carries the MN tourneys, but they have been off the air for a while, although if you're paying for cable, you might still get them

DirecTV doesnt carry KCPM, so it would be nice if they actually put a signal over the air so I could have the option of watching the Minnesota Tournaments.

Also, I'm just annoyed by KVLY. As someone who lives on the Minnesota side of the river, to see very little non Fargo/North Dakota coverage on their station is something that's grated on me for years. If DirecTV would have allowed me (and they would love to, but the National Association for Broadcasters made sure congress said they couldn't do it), I would be getting my local channels over satellite from Minneapolis or whatever and only tune to over the air stuff during inclement weather.

So stuff the North Dakota Tournaments to 11.2, or put up a 4.2 and shove them there.
post #1664 of 1959 Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:

In addition to that, there are probably contracts that were signed that said they'd air the tournaments on the main channel. In the future I wouldn't be too surprised if they did switch it around and put the tournaments on the subchannel.
post #1665 of 1959 Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:

DirecTV doesnt carry KCPM, so it would be nice if they actually put a signal over the air so I could have the option of watching the Minnesota Tournaments.

Also, I'm just annoyed by KVLY. As someone who lives on the Minnesota side of the river, to see very little non Fargo/North Dakota coverage on their station is something that's grated on me for years. If DirecTV would have allowed me (and they would love to, but the National Association for Broadcasters made sure congress said they couldn't do it), I would be getting my local channels over satellite from Minneapolis or whatever and only tune to over the air stuff during inclement weather.

So stuff the North Dakota Tournaments to 11.2, or put up a 4.2 and shove them there.

I enjoy the tournaments on both sides of the river....Since KCPM can't keep a signal on the air to save their life, maybe one of the other broadcasters should pick them up....I wonder if WDAY/WDAZ is allowed to preempt the CW network? Maybe Charley and Co and put them on 4-2 - heck maybe they should lease out 38-2 to KCPM for just under the transmitter electric bill each month....KCPM would have the same coverage as other broadcasters in the area, and Hoak would have another revenue stream (I don't think they need to worry about My network getting higher ratings than their channels, so competition isn't a factor). The expenses of transmitting the signal are the same for 1 subchannel as it is for 99 subchannels...
post #1666 of 1959 Old 02-18-2010, 04:01 PM

So does KCPM even have a signal up in fargo? I keep looking at sites that list either channel 2 or 33 for a low powered translator, but I cant get anything on either of them.
post #1667 of 1959 Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Hey, I'm back, I did finally get an antenna and the picture is great at my house. Full signal for CBS and NBC, nearly full signal for NBC.

I have one question though, did something happen to KBRR? A couple weeks ago, maybe even a month ago, I was watching Fox on Direct TV, and the picture started to get terrible, then out of nowhere the picture cleared up and the tag had switched from KBRR to KVRR. Then when I was tuning in my antenna I got a faint signal of KVRR but the TV never found KBRR.
post #1668 of 1959 Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 AM

DirectorFlik,

Awhile back you said for us all to be patient, that the new master control was being installed & it was just a matter of time. That was many months ago, possibly 6 or more. Any word at all when KBRR will be sending out an HD signal? Lie to me if you have to, I'm totally disheartened at the lack of a local FOX channel in HD. What would it take to get HD in GF? Should we throw a fund raiser for Red River Broadcasting?
post #1669 of 1959 Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Does anyone have the contact info for KCPM? Their site is so dead...
post #1670 of 1959 Old 04-03-2010, 09:56 PM

I noticed that CableOne had Bravo HD listed as channel 416 a few days ago, but it's no longer showing up. I'm assuming they're still in the process of adding it.
post #1671 of 1959 Old 04-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Sheese, another HD Locals announcement from DirecTV, another "No Fargo" announcement.

Three new DMAs, all smaller than Fargo:

∙ Biloxi-Gulfport MS (DMA #163)
∙ Idaho Falls-Pocatello ID (DMA #162)
∙ Joplin MO-Pittsburg KS (DMA #147)

Luckily my rooftop antenna has been surprisingly stable lately - Charlie Johnson must have finally boosted the NBC signal in the last few months... Only a few dropouts on ABC in the last couple of months' worth of recording...
post #1672 of 1959 Old 04-25-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Sheese, another HD Locals announcement from DirecTV, another "No Fargo" announcement.

Three new DMAs, all smaller than Fargo:

∙ Biloxi-Gulfport MS (DMA #163)
∙ Idaho Falls-Pocatello ID (DMA #162)
∙ Joplin MO-Pittsburg KS (DMA #147)

Luckily my rooftop antenna has been surprisingly stable lately - Charlie Johnson must have finally boosted the NBC signal in the last few months... Only a few dropouts on ABC in the last couple of months' worth of recording...

I'm getting set to put up a rooftop antenna sometime in the next few weeks. Right now Ive got a 4-bay bowtie antenna that works very well for every digital station here except KVLY and KXJB. Why aren't they transmitting with the same power as WDAY and KVRR are?

My signal levels according to my DirecTV AM21 tuner are: 4.1 60%; 6.1 100%; 11.1 55%; 13.1 85%; 15.1 90%. I live around Concordia College just for reference.
post #1673 of 1959 Old 04-26-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:

I'm getting set to put up a rooftop antenna sometime in the next few weeks. Right now Ive got a 4-bay bowtie antenna that works very well for every digital station here except KVLY and KXJB. Why aren't they transmitting with the same power as WDAY and KVRR are?

They're probably broadcasting with more power than WDAY and KVRR, but their towers are quite a bit farther away.
post #1674 of 1959 Old 04-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:

They're probably broadcasting with more power than WDAY and KVRR, but their towers are quite a bit farther away.

see
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd729d8328ddb7
post #1675 of 1959 Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Sorry I'm not well-versed in what all that means. Are you confirming what I said or contradicting it? Their towers are definitely farther away, which I would expect means they would have to up the power, but are they actually doing that or not?
post #1676 of 1959 Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:

According to the FCC's site KVLY broadcasts with an effective radiated power of 356 kW while WDAY has an ERP of 1,000 kW
post #1677 of 1959 Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WDAY is on a shorter tower. KVLY is at the maximum power allowed for its tower height.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1678 of 1959 Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM

For those of us waiting ever so patiently for our locals in HD via DirecTV, it appears the wait will have to be even longer...

From D* investor release on Friday:
DIRECTV will roll-out the following new HD local markets, beginning in June with Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss.; Idaho Falls-Pocatello, Idaho; and Joplin-Pittsburg, Mo. In the third quarter, DIRECTV will launch Albany, Ga.; Columbus, Ga.; Gainesville, Fla.; and Montgomery-Selma, Ark. In the fourth quarter, DIRECTV will launch Abilene-Sweetwater, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Binghamton, N.Y.; Clarksburg-Weston, W.Va.; Lubbock, Texas; Sioux City, Iowa; Terre Haute, Ind.; Wheeling-Steubenville, W.Va.; and Wichita Falls-Lawton, Texas

As someone who moved up from the Twin Cities in September, this has been a sore point for me. I tried the hd feed with the Basic Cable package from both Midcontinent/Cableone, letting my interntal QAM tuner do the decoding, but the picture was horrible. My only other option would be to install a high power antenna, but since I live in a townhome, this might be more trouble than its worth. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to sign up for Sunday Ticket or something so I can at least watch the Vikes in HD.
post #1679 of 1959 Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Drama View Post

For those of us waiting ever so patiently for our locals in HD via DirecTV, it appears the wait will have to be even longer...

From D* investor release on Friday:
DIRECTV will roll-out the following new HD local markets, beginning in June with Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss.; Idaho Falls-Pocatello, Idaho; and Joplin-Pittsburg, Mo. In the third quarter, DIRECTV will launch Albany, Ga.; Columbus, Ga.; Gainesville, Fla.; and Montgomery-Selma, Ark. In the fourth quarter, DIRECTV will launch Abilene-Sweetwater, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Binghamton, N.Y.; Clarksburg-Weston, W.Va.; Lubbock, Texas; Sioux City, Iowa; Terre Haute, Ind.; Wheeling-Steubenville, W.Va.; and Wichita Falls-Lawton, Texas

As someone who moved up from the Twin Cities in September, this has been a sore point for me. I tried the hd feed with the Basic Cable package from both Midcontinent/Cableone, letting my interntal QAM tuner do the decoding, but the picture was horrible. My only other option would be to install a high power antenna, but since I live in a townhome, this might be more trouble than its worth. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to sign up for Sunday Ticket or something so I can at least watch the Vikes in HD.

Sunday Ticket won't let you see the Vikes in HD. It would be blacked out.
post #1680 of 1959 Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Drama View Post

Sheese, that's disappointing. I can't believe that DishNetwork is going to trump DirecTV by a full 18 months (at least) on HD locals. I was thinking of adding a new receiver, but DirecTV bumps your commitment by 24 months every time you do that... I might actually have to switch after Friday Night Lights next fall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkinsjm View Post

Sunday Ticket won't let you see the Vikes in HD. It would be blacked out.

Just wait a couple more years and you should be able to get most Vikes games on the Ticket - I don't think they black out games from the Los Angeles market in Fargo...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page