3Likes

post #1711 of 1959 Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhasbrouck View Post

Is there any chance KVRR/KNRR/KBRR/KJRR could add Retro Television network on its digital subchannel anytime soon?

That's the same thing egftechman asked two posts back. Honestly I doubt it, but you never know. I don't think any of the Twin Cities stations even have RTN as a subchannel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1959 Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhasbrouck View Post

Is there any chance KVRR/KNRR/KBRR/KJRR could add Retro Television network on its digital subchannel anytime soon?

My guess is if ThisTV is a business success for KVLY, we may see RTN on KXJB...Red River is too cheap and still trying to figure out the whole digital tv thing. WDAY/WDAZ have no bandwidth left on their signals (ABC makes them dedicate a certain bandwidth to ABC programming, so the CW and weather fills out the remainder of the 19.2 Mbps). KCPM is just trying to keep a signal on the air - again still figuring this DTV thing out...

It should be noted that adding RTN and similar subchannels should, in theory, add revenue with very little added expense (just the additional switching equipment at implementation, no extra power bills at the transmitter, run almost completely automated so no extra master control staff, sales people can sell both stations, etc.), so cash strapped broadcasters should be considering it
post #1713 of 1959 Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by egftechman View Post

just the additional switching equipment at implementation

The additional equipment can cost a lot more than you realize. If you have a master control that currently is only capable of putting out one channel, adding a second channel can cost a lot of money. (You could just carry a direct satellite feed, but then you'd have no revenue.) You also must have the proper equipment at the transmitter. It may be a one-time expense, but it's certainly not free.

Then you must consider that the channel will reach less than half the households in the market because it won't be carried on analog cable or satellite.
post #1714 of 1959 Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM

It's too bad Fox is carrying the All Star Game tonight.
post #1715 of 1959 Old 07-14-2010, 05:14 PM

yeah, it was sure nice to see it in standard definition.

I wish Red River would get it's act together...
It is totally unfair that the cable consumer in the north valley is STUCK with SD programming because red river is protecting it's turf. Either get on board with HD and get it to us, or let the cable companies retransmit KVRR with it's full HD. If that can't work I bet Fox 9 out of the cities wouldn't mind being broadcast up north here....

I know it's possible. They can't tell me it's not.

Red River is avoiding the situation. They don't even have a WEBSITE. Really??? How can a broadcast network not have a WEBSITE?? Can you say Behind the Times???

Why should we be stuck without HD because a company in Fargo can't figure out how to get it to a sister station--for over two years???
post #1716 of 1959 Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorththen View Post

yeah, it was sure nice to see it in standard definition.

I wish Red River would get it's act together...
It is totally unfair that the cable consumer in the north valley is STUCK with SD programming because red river is protecting it's turf. Either get on board with HD and get it to us, or let the cable companies retransmit KVRR with it's full HD. If that can't work I bet Fox 9 out of the cities wouldn't mind being broadcast up north here....

I know it's possible. They can't tell me it's not.

Red River is avoiding the situation. They don't even have a WEBSITE. Really??? How can a broadcast network not have a WEBSITE?? Can you say Behind the Times???

Why should we be stuck without HD because a company in Fargo can't figure out how to get it to a sister station--for over two years???

Keep in mind Red River Broadcasting is a private, local (key owners live in MN) company that is trying to stay alive - broadcasting isn't as profitable as it one was - yes they maybe need to overhaul their marketing and engineering depts. The DTV conversion doesn't guarantee HD, so as long they "serve the public interest" and remain on the air at their licensed power levels, they are meeting their obligation of their broadcast license.

Maybe complaints should be directed to the Fox network, which may accomplish the following:
a) put pressure from that end on Red River to upgrade
b) give red river assistance by loaning more than one set of "splicers", so the HD signal be spliced in and out of the stream. Current FOx netowrk policy only gives one splicer to each broadcast group - they are on their own for satellite stations, etc.
c) Fox could pursue alternate affiliates in the market if the current one doesn't keep expected quality
post #1717 of 1959 Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM

I agree with everything you said.
I have tried really hard to be patient with Red River.
Yes, they need a complete overhaul in marketing--especially. Think of the lost revenue possibilities with no website. A website is not an expensive thing to run at a basic level.

I am going to send off a letter to the Fox Network, and share my concerns. Perhaps Fox might cut them some slack and give them a second splicer so they can "get er done." It doesn't appear they have one or they would have installed it by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egftechman View Post

Keep in mind Red River Broadcasting is a private, local (key owners live in MN) company that is trying to stay alive - broadcasting isn't as profitable as it one was - yes they maybe need to overhaul their marketing and engineering depts. The DTV conversion doesn't guarantee HD, so as long they "serve the public interest" and remain on the air at their licensed power levels, they are meeting their obligation of their broadcast license.

Maybe complaints should be directed to the Fox network, which may accomplish the following:
a) put pressure from that end on Red River to upgrade
b) give red river assistance by loaning more than one set of "splicers", so the HD signal be spliced in and out of the stream. Current FOx netowrk policy only gives one splicer to each broadcast group - they are on their own for satellite stations, etc.
c) Fox could pursue alternate affiliates in the market if the current one doesn't keep expected quality

post #1718 of 1959 Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 PM

Anyone notice if CBS 4-1 in Fargo is gone? I saw that it wouldn't pop up on my TV on Friday. I have been gone this weekend and I see that it won't tune in at all. Anyone know whats up with that? I haven't tried to move the antenna around but before I do I just wanted to check here.
post #1719 of 1959 Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman21 View Post

Anyone notice if CBS 4-1 in Fargo is gone? I saw that it wouldn't pop up on my TV on Friday. I have been gone this weekend and I see that it won't tune in at all. Anyone know whats up with that? I haven't tried to move the antenna around but before I do I just wanted to check here.

It's been coming in better than usual on the south side of East Grand Forks.....Sometimes they have problems with their PSIP generator, have you tried looking to see if there is a channel 38.1 in your scan?
post #1720 of 1959 Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM

I'll take a peek tonight at that 38.1. I haven't moved my antenna yet but if all else fails I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the info!
post #1721 of 1959 Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM

http://www.midcocomm.com/classlibrar.../files/216.pdf

"In order to serve you better, the following networks in your lineup are
changing channel numbers effective July 20, 2010."

How does moving a couple channels serve me better?
post #1722 of 1959 Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkmav View Post

LOL! I've always wondered that too. Every time Cableone changes channel numbers, they state the same thing. Yet, all it does is continue to confuse me on which channel is where.
post #1723 of 1959 Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Off topic, but I cannot believe cable one data services are still down...

Should we expect a $1.50 credit on our next bill?
post #1724 of 1959 Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkmav View Post

I'm guessing this has to do with Midcontinent's upcomming conversion to all digitial. Which they say will bring more HD, new services, and faster internet speeds. So I guess in that sense it will serve us better. We'll see.
post #1725 of 1959 Old 07-26-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

I'm guessing this has to do with Midcontinent's upcomming conversion to all digitial. Which they say will bring more HD, new services, and faster internet speeds. So I guess in that sense it will serve us better. We'll see.

I think it has more to do with them wanting their Midcontinent Channel to have better placement. The order of the sports channels will now be ESPN, ESPN2, Midco, FSN - it used to be Midco, ESPN, ESPN2, FSN.
post #1726 of 1959 Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

I think it has more to do with them wanting their Midcontinent Channel to have better placement. The order of the sports channels will now be ESPN, ESPN2, Midco, FSN - it used to be Midco, ESPN, ESPN2, FSN.

That makes the most sense of any argument I've heard. Too bad I watch ESPN, ESPN2 and FSN on 620-622.
post #1727 of 1959 Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 PM

So, does anyone else have trouble auto-programming channel 76-5 in GF? The deal is this: I run the auto-program feature on my Samsung HDTV, and when it gets to the point where it begins removing scrambled channels, it sits at channel 76-5 forever. If I stop the auto programming and go into the channel list, it shows about 1,000 channels listed as 76-5 in the channel list. Any idea why it does this? I have Midco's basic cable package, but they pass through the locals and a few extras in digital (as well as a -5 subchannel in digital, but not HD, of every normal channel) up around the 116 area. I think 116-1 is CBS HD and 116-2 is NBC HD and 97-1 is ABC HD. I don't remember what FOX "HD" is, but it doesn't matter since all their channels here use a 4:3 480i picture regardless of the whether it's 720p or not...
post #1728 of 1959 Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM

Also, I mentioned in my last post too, but I noticed a few weeks ago that all my channels I get from midco between 3 and 76 have the non-digital channel (example: 11) and the digital channel (example: 11-5) right next to each other. So I have to go through and delete all of one or the other of every channel otherwise I have to press the channel up/down button twice to get past a certain channel because the -5 digital one comes right after the "analog" one...
post #1729 of 1959 Old 08-19-2010, 06:04 PM

So, Fox TV is now letterboxing football. While that is great for viewers who can see it in HD, not so great for the rest of us.

I seriously can't believe that we still don't get the local Fox station in HD in Grand Forks. It is completely frustrating, especially for us football fans who are gearing up for a new season. If there are any games on Fox that really want to see, I'll head to Wild Wings or another bar with Sunday Ticket, not giving the local Fox any of my viewership at all.

I'm sure there are some great folks who work there (and I know a few who work in the news division) but can't imagine the incompetence of their management.
post #1730 of 1959 Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFJay View Post

So, Fox TV is now letterboxing football. While that is great for viewers who can see it in HD, not so great for the rest of us.

I seriously can't believe that we still don't get the local Fox station in HD in Grand Forks. It is completely frustrating, especially for us football fans who are gearing up for a new season. If there are any games on Fox that really want to see, I'll head to Wild Wings or another bar with Sunday Ticket, not giving the local Fox any of my viewership at all.

I'm sure there are some great folks who work there (and I know a few who work in the news division) but can't imagine the incompetence of their management.

And watching it in HD isn't so great either......Even though they are transmitting a 720p 16:9 signal, they only they only put 480 4:3 content on it (sidebars all the time), and when FOX has widescreen programming they letterbox that, so one ends up viewing with sidebars and letterbox (i.e. image only in the middle half of the screen)....If they aren't going to pass the 720p signal from the network to the transmitter, they might as well set their transmitter to 480i 4:3, so the zoom controls on widescreen displays can handle it properly....Are Red River's stations in Sioux Falls and Duluth having issues with the digital and HD signals, or is this merely a Fargo based flub-up?
post #1731 of 1959 Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 AM

Anyone heard anything from Midcontinent as far as any new HD channels? So far nothing new in 2010.
post #1732 of 1959 Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

Anyone heard anything from Midcontinent as far as any new HD channels? So far nothing new in 2010.

Supposedly, Midco's goal is to offer over 100 HD channels by next summer. That would be a bit more than double the number they currently offer, so this is good news. Before these channels may be added, they have to drop analog channels to make room for more digital. I believe all analog channels from 23 on up will be dropped before the end of the year.
post #1733 of 1959 Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 AM

Anyone have information on the breaking news on KNOX radio that Midcontinent will be carrying Fox in HD (KBRR - Grand Forks) by the first Vikings game?
post #1734 of 1959 Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corman View Post

Anyone have information on the breaking news on KNOX radio that Midcontinent will be carrying Fox in HD by the first Vikings game?

I'm in Moorhead and have always had Fox (KVRR) in HD on Midco. Do they still not have it in West Fargo or something?
post #1735 of 1959 Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 PM

Sorry, edited above post to note KBRR for all of us on Midcontinent in Grand Forks.
post #1736 of 1959 Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corman View Post

Anyone have information on the breaking news on KNOX radio that Midcontinent will be carrying Fox in HD (KBRR - Grand Forks) by the first Vikings game?

I hadn't heard that, but I hope it's true! Let us know if you hear anything more.
post #1737 of 1959 Old 08-25-2010, 11:52 AM

I'm on 37th Ave S in Fargo and getting ready for the shows my wife and I like to watch. I had pretty decent luck last year but I had a few times where the signal would break up. I'm looking to avoid that this year if I can.

I have an amplified indoor antenna right now and I'm wondering if moving to a simple outdoor unit would be enough to overcome the occasional signal issues. The channels I have the most issue with are WDAY and KVRR. I was looking at the outdoor antenna on monoprice but I noticed it has an operating temp of just -4F. We all know it gets a lot colder than that around here.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #1738 of 1959 Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

I'm on 37th Ave S in Fargo and getting ready for the shows my wife and I like to watch. I had pretty decent luck last year but I had a few times where the signal would break up. I'm looking to avoid that this year if I can.

I have an amplified indoor antenna right now and I'm wondering if moving to a simple outdoor unit would be enough to overcome the occasional signal issues. The channels I have the most issue with are WDAY and KVRR. I was looking at the outdoor antenna on monoprice but I noticed it has an operating temp of just -4F. We all know it gets a lot colder than that around here.

I used the antenna from monoprice through out all last winter. I did mount it in my attic at the highest point possible. Never had a real problem with it and i'm on 40th ave s in Moorhead. Little farther south than you but still not to bad.
post #1739 of 1959 Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman21 View Post

I used the antenna from monoprice through out all last winter. I did mount it in my attic at the highest point possible. Never had a real problem with it and i'm on 40th ave s in Moorhead. Little farther south than you but still not to bad.

I'm looking to put it outside on the top edge of my roof. Do you have any issues with channels cutting out?

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #1740 of 1959 Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 AM

No real issues with it cutting out except when that huge storm system came through a few weeks ago with all the lightning. Then it got a bit choppy. But other than that its great for where I'm at. If I recall its omni-directional but i had better luck faceing the unit's "front" towards towards the towers north and a shade west. Seemed to improve the signals abit than when i just slapped it up the first time.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page