Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 59 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1741 of 1977 Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watching the Twins on KVRR today, it seems like the picture quality is way down from its usual. Usually KVRR over the air is pretty sharp and watchable..its very soft and fuzzy today. Anyone know anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1977 Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

Watching the Twins on KVRR today, it seems like the picture quality is way down from its usual. Usually KVRR over the air is pretty sharp and watchable..its very soft and fuzzy today. Anyone know anything?

I notice that as well. Though the game they went to when the Twins game finished looked HD. I'm wondering if it was the feed from Seattle that was not right. Both the Friday and Sunday games on FSN looked good in HD, so not sure.

Also, with the whole Midco Sports Network stuff, I now have a channel 629 on my guide, which looks to be Midco Sports Network HD. This will be fun to see local/regional sports in HD.
post #1743 of 1977 Old 09-04-2010, 01:35 AM

DirectorFlix,

I live near Devils Lake and I've been following this thread ever since the Midco tower fell down knocking out the translator for up here(K33HB). Could you tell me if there would ever be anything done to replace the lost signal. I would assume not because of all of the other issues that Red River Broadcasting seem to be dealing with and it seems there is no licence for the translator anymore. Any info on this would be great.
post #1744 of 1977 Old 09-10-2010, 01:27 PM

I just noticed that Cableone added the NFL Network (331) and NFLHD (411) in Fargo!
post #1745 of 1977 Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyT View Post

I just noticed that Cableone added the NFL Network (331) and NFLHD (411) in Fargo!

Would this have ever happened if Midco in Moorhead didn't have it? Doubtful. Good to know though, if I ever need to switch back.
post #1746 of 1977 Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

Would this have ever happened if Midco in Moorhead didn't have it? Doubtful. Good to know though, if I ever need to switch back.

It's always nice when the system works and competition does make it better for the consumer.
post #1747 of 1977 Old 09-19-2010, 02:17 PM

I am curious to know why Red River Broadcasting insists on SHAFTING their Greater Grand Forks Area viewers with HORRIBLE picture quality when WE ARE STILL SEEING FARGO COMMERCIALS DURING FOOTBALL GAMES. I'm so unbelieveably SICK of seeing those horribly bad "Don's Car Wash" and "Stop-and-Go" commercials during NFC matchups when the main reason RR won't give us the Fargo HD feed is because of market issues. Hooray for ANOTHER football season of terrible quality NFC matchups on FOX in Grand Forks!

(What a treat to see the Vikes in HD on CBS today, btw...)
post #1748 of 1977 Old 09-25-2010, 01:50 PM

It looks like their "hd" programming is coming in smaller--like a mini tv inside of the main screen. It doesn't look anywhere near HD...like a digital channel that was scaled down to letterbox or something like that.

How many seasons have we now had with a poor signal for watching the Vikings? MLB playoffs?

I sure wish someone could do something. We appear powerless as consumers.
post #1749 of 1977 Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayupnorththen View Post

It looks like their "hd" programming is coming in smaller--like a mini tv inside of the main screen. It doesn't look anywhere near HD...like a digital channel that was scaled down to letterbox or something like that.

Pretty sure that's a change on the FOX network side, nothing KBRR is doing. They're still just passing along whatever FOX is sending them.

Quote:

Basically. They're not doing anything illegal, so you can complain, but not much else.
post #1750 of 1977 Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

How many seasons have we now had with a poor signal for watching the Vikings? MLB playoffs?

They are transmitting a 720p "canvas" on KBRR, but only feeding a 480 line picture to it (permanent side bars), when FOX has widescreen programming, they are letterboxing that inside the 480 signal, so you get top and bottom bars, making half your picture black if you use no zoom controls....
IF RED RIVER CAN'T SEND A 720p SIGNAL TO KBRR, CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION TO 480i, SO WE DON'T HAVE SUCH A MESSED UP PICTURE!
post #1751 of 1977 Old 10-03-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Basically. They're not doing anything illegal, so you can complain, but not much else.

It might not be illegal, but given the current state of ZERO competition and that they have a monopoly, "not doing anything illegal" really doesn't cut it.

I believe that if monopolies and single provider contracts are the norm, and if the FCC rules only allow the LOCAL feed in an area, then by george the government ought to DEMAND that they give the best service. We don't have any stinking choice!!! NONE!!! This isn't anything that Fox is sending down the pike...Go anywhere else in the US except and you will see brilliant 780 programming on Fox HD. We get the shaft. Period.
Congress needs to immediately repeal the local carry rule if the "local" can't provide HD programming...and allow the cable company to bring in whoever they want/can.
post #1752 of 1977 Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 AM

The fact is they're not required to broadcast HD, so I doubt they'll require it for local carry until that happens. So I think a better bet would be to make them actually require HD broadcasts. If you're going to campaign for anything, I'd go for that rather than local carry stuff.
post #1753 of 1977 Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Anyone catch the article in the Forum today? I do love my DirecTV, but I won't wait forever... How are people liking Dish?
post #1754 of 1977 Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 AM

I just got Dish hooked up a week or two ago. So far so good. And my bill is about $30 less than Cableone.
post #1755 of 1977 Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Anyone hear anything from Red River Broadcasting on KBRR yet?

I get tired of watching FOX network programming in a shadow box...
post #1756 of 1977 Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeylord View Post

Anyone catch the article in the Forum today? I do love my DirecTV, but I won't wait forever... How are people liking Dish?

The reporter was incorrect in that you can't watch FOX on DirecTV in Dickinson. Back when I lived in the Fargo DMA, I just "moved" to the Minneapolis DMA.
post #1757 of 1977 Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 PM

I got a mailer from Midco this week. During 2010 and 2011 they'll be doing a digital upgrade. Analog channels over 22 will be going away, replaced by digital channels, to free up more bandwidth for HD, On Demand, and Internet.

They'll be sending more info later, but this mailer said most customers are eligible for two free digital adapters (free rental anyway). I'm guessing/hoping/assuming that the digital channels will not be encrypted, so TVs with basic QAM tuners will be able to pick them up.
post #1758 of 1977 Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:

I got a mailer from Midco this week. During 2010 and 2011 they'll be doing a digital upgrade. Analog channels over 22 will be going away, replaced by digital channels, to free up more bandwidth for HD, On Demand, and Internet.

They'll be sending more info later, but this mailer said most customers are eligible for two free digital adapters (free rental anyway). I'm guessing/hoping/assuming that the digital channels will not be encrypted, so TVs with basic QAM tuners will be able to pick them up.

http://www.midcocomm.com/_files/files/ADC_Schedule.pdf
post #1759 of 1977 Old 11-19-2010, 02:30 AM

i live in grand forks and just switched to directv, just curious if anyone has a recommendation for an affordable antenna to get hd locals. lot of options and i can't really figure out which is going to work. thanks for any feedback
post #1760 of 1977 Old 11-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorgo1 View Post
i live in grand forks and just switched to directv, just curious if anyone has a recommendation for an affordable antenna to get hd locals. lot of options and i can't really figure out which is going to work. thanks for any feedback
When I was living in Grand Forks up until last December, I had a lot of success with the amplified indoor Terk antenna (search Amazon for "Terk HDTVa"). It's a great little antenna that's relatively inexpensive and worked well for me in an apartment setting. The only real problem I had was finding a place where both of the VHF channels (WDAZ and KBRR) would come in. KBRR was a particularly finicky signal, probably because the station is too low in power and too far away from Grand Forks to overcome indoor sources of interference on the VHF band. That said, you won't need KBRR anyway since the signal's not in HD. I had virtually no problems getting the other stations (KVLY, KXJB, Prairie Public) to come in with a strong signal. Receiving WDAY may also be possible in a south-facing window in the southern half of town.
post #1761 of 1977 Old 11-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agus0103 View Post

When I was living in Grand Forks up until last December, I had a lot of success with the amplified indoor Terk antenna (search Amazon for "Terk HDTVa"). It's a great little antenna that's relatively inexpensive and worked well for me in an apartment setting. The only real problem I had was finding a place where both of the VHF channels (WDAZ and KBRR) would come in. KBRR was a particularly finicky signal, probably because the station is too low in power and too far away from Grand Forks to overcome indoor sources of interference on the VHF band. That said, you won't need KBRR anyway since the signal's not in HD. I had virtually no problems getting the other stations (KVLY, KXJB, Prairie Public) to come in with a strong signal. Receiving WDAY may also be possible in a south-facing window in the southern half of town.

many thanks for the reply, really my main wants were kvly and kxjb and i didn't want to spend a lot or climb the roof to put an antenna up, so this works perfectly. i'll order that one from amazon and give it a shot. thanks again
post #1762 of 1977 Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorgo1 View Post

many thanks for the reply

No problem, hopefully that antenna works well for you!
post #1763 of 1977 Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 PM

Can anyone else verify that kcpm/27 is off the air in the grand forks area?
I no longer receive them in East Grand Forks at 2 different locations, but was able to about a month ago..
I sent them an email at mail@kcpm.tv and they responded that they show 27 on the air and I should make sure I have a digital tv...
post #1764 of 1977 Old 12-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Does anyone know if KVRR will be allowed to carry the Vikings/Giants game Monday night? All the info online seems to just show KMSP in Mpls. Does the NFL realize that there is more than 1 FOX affiliate in Vikings territory?
post #1765 of 1977 Old 12-12-2010, 12:29 PM

The Vikings game will be seen on the Fox stations in New York City, Minneapolis, Mankato, and Rochester only. That was the announcement made today.
post #1766 of 1977 Old 12-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkmav View Post

The Vikings game will be seen on the Fox stations in New York City, Minneapolis, Mankato, and Rochester only. That was the announcement made today.

Can we email bomb someone to get it in Fargo and Sioux Falls markets
post #1767 of 1977 Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 AM

It appears they're only allowing it to air in the teams' primary markets, not secondary markets like Fargo or Sioux Falls.

KVRR is apparently trying to get it though: http://www.inforum.com/event/article...roup/homepage/
post #1768 of 1977 Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 PM

You should be able to watch it at a restaurant with NFL ticket. Buffalo Wild Wings, I would assume should have it.
post #1769 of 1977 Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Jim Shaw said it came down to the state in which they were licensed. Since they're a North Dakota station, the NFL and ESPN wouldn't allow them to broadcast the game. I think this had more to do with ESPN than the NFL (or FOX), honestly. They have a contract for exclusive primetime football on Mondays. They (ESPN) probably said something like "we'll allow an exception for this game, but only for stations in the teams' home states."

Apparently, stations in Connecticut had the same problem, and they're even closer to NYC than we are to MSP.
post #1770 of 1977 Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Isnt KVRR's transmitter near Barnesville?

They should change the license to Moorhead if so.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page