Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Why?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1966 Old 12-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updates on KBRR yet?

Of course the Super Bowl is on Fox this year. Anyone think there is a chance of having an HD feed by then?

AT
post #1773 of 1966 Old 12-31-2010, 08:03 AM

I've heard nothing. It would be nice to get it for the playoffs, or at the very list the local Fox affiliate could allow Midco to carry the Fox station just for the Super Bowl. I can't imagine having to watch the big game on such a poor quality channel. It will be incredibly disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly33 View Post

Any updates on KBRR yet?

Of course the Super Bowl is on Fox this year. Anyone think there is a chance of having an HD feed by then?

AT

post #1774 of 1966 Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFJay View Post

I've heard nothing. It would be nice to get it for the playoffs, or at the very list the local Fox affiliate could allow Midco to carry the Fox station just for the Super Bowl. I can't imagine having to watch the big game on such a poor quality channel. It will be incredibly disappointing.

Just keep calling them at 701-277-1515 or 701-277-1595 or emailing jshaw@kvrr.com and remind them about the situation on kbrr...if they keep getting lots of complaints, they will have to at least publicly acknowledge the issue...
post #1775 of 1966 Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 PM

Dear KVLY

I appreciate that you're going to run updates on every single freaking church that has decided not to have services tomorrow. And I also am glad to know what highways have been re-opened or are still closed. I am glad even tho I do not go to church and I have no plans of leaving my house within the next 48 hours because it is a good information for everyone who does go to church and those who do choose to drive around in this mess. However, would you please wait until the intermission between periods to run the ticker because you are too cheap and/or technically incompetent to get the thing running in high def? It is very annoying watching a hockey game, which requires high def much more than any of the other three sports, and a whole bunch of church announcements causes it to go down to blocky, un-glorious, ugly as hell standard definition.

Sincerely,
Me.

P.S. Please do something to clear up the reception discrepancy between yourself and KXJB. The two of you broadcast from practically the same location, at exactly the same power, and very near the same height, however while I am pulling a good 85-90% on KXJB, I am pulling 55-60% on your channel.
post #1776 of 1966 Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 AM

Looking forward to watching the Super Bowl in stunning standard definition.

AT
post #1777 of 1966 Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:

AT

Not even in full SD, it is a letterboxed image in a 480 4:3 picture placed inside a 720p "canvas" (adding sidebars)...so the actual image is less than 640x360, so if one zooms it to fill the whole wide screen, it looks horrible, like a low bandwidth internet stream...

It will also be interesting to see how the "enhanced" all-star (not using any of NFL's trademarks) game looks on KBRR....

Assuming the issue is with switchgear for inserting local commercials for the satellite stations, with all the (relatively) inexpensive HD video switching gear for amateur and "semi-pro" use from Analog Way, NewTek, and others - along with many software on commodity computer solutions - one would think Red River Broadcasting would be able to at least relay the same signal they are putting on KVRR to the satellite stations during the main programming.

If the issue is with getting the signal to the transmitters, they need to work with Prairie Public to get enough bandwidth, or else work with the local phone cos to get enough an appropriate sized circuit...
post #1778 of 1966 Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:

AT

So there is no chance KBRR is ready by SuperBowl Sunday? Anyone heard for sure?
post #1779 of 1966 Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM

I like the new Valley News Live set and graphics, but introducing a newscast in HD at the same time would have been a much better idea.
post #1780 of 1966 Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkmav View Post

I like the new Valley News Live set and graphics, but introducing a newscast in HD at the same time would have been a much better idea.

After watching one of yesterday's newscasts online, I have to say they dropped the ball on not going HD. The new set does look quite nice, certainly nicer than the competition in the market, but all of the proclamations of how "high tech" everything now is seemed rather silly since the picture is still 4:3 SD.

They got a few comments on their Facebook page with regard to the lack of HD on the new set. Their response was as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley News Live View Post

A conversion to our newscasts in HD is coming, but it won't happen for a while yet. That is our next big project. We'll let you know when we have a specific start date.

post #1781 of 1966 Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Why the hell was a set redesign a higher technical priority than getting local content in HD?

Is every damned TV station around here that technologically incompetent?
post #1782 of 1966 Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post

Why the hell was a set redesign a higher technical priority than getting local content in HD?

Is every damned TV station around here that technologically incompetent?

My guess is that a new set wasn't a technical priority at all. It was probably case of what was the most bang for the buck and if they started broadcasting the news in HD, you would have seen how bad the old set really was.
post #1783 of 1966 Old 01-30-2011, 03:17 PM

So it was a marketing priority.

That explains everything.
post #1784 of 1966 Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
So it was a marketing priority.

That explains everything.
Of course. The conversion to HD would be more of a marketing priority too. There's no technical need for them to broadcast the news in HD - when they do it, you can be sure they'll be all over the "first local news in HD!" angle.
post #1785 of 1966 Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Anyone else in Moorhead get a flyer from Midco today, with the new HD channels coming March 1st?

WOOHOO !!!!!!!!!!
post #1786 of 1966 Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We now have an answer to which station in North (and South) Dakota will be the first with HD news. It won't be any of the Fargo stations. CBS affiliate KXMB in Bismarck and semi-satellite KXMA in Dickinson began HD newscasts on Monday. KXMC in Minot and its semi-satellite KXMD in Williston are expected to begin HD newscasts on Sunday, as stated in this video from KXMC.

Edited to add: This will put significant pressure the KX Network's sole competitor, Hoak's cluster of NBC stations, to also upgrade to HD news. To make that happen, I wonder if Hoak might shift resources away from KVLY and thereby delay whatever HD plans there are for Valley News Live.
post #1787 of 1966 Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corman View Post
So there is no chance KBRR is ready by SuperBowl Sunday? Anyone heard for sure?
Fox primetime still isn't in HD on KBRR, so I'll bet there will be no HD for the NFL Championship game...TO which all KBRR viewers should become very vocal to Red River Broadcasting and maybe also complain to Fox network also...
post #1788 of 1966 Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM

I'm hopeful that some day this week it'll pop up on Midcontinent and we can watch the Super Bowl in HD. At the very least I wish KVRR would allow their station to be broadcast via cable to Grand Forks for just that one day. Not holding my breath, though. I recall reading the posts on here a year ago and being hopeful that we'd have Fox in HD before the next Super Bowl. Well, here we are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by egftechman View Post

Fox primetime still isn't in HD on KBRR, so I'll bet there will be no HD for the NFL Championship game...TO which all KBRR viewers should become very vocal to Red River Broadcasting and maybe also complain to Fox network also...

post #1789 of 1966 Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 PM

All I can say is holy crap! I just got a mailer from Midco about the new HD channels we'll be getting due to the bandwidth available after the all-digital conversion. I count about 55. Most, if not all, of them are just HD versions of existing SD channels, but still this is pretty great! The notable ones, at least for me, are Cartoon Network HD, Comedy Central HD, Bravo HD, NHL HD, ESPNU HD, IFC HD, HBO2 HD, and HBO Zone HD. But there are a bunch more. I didn't see this flyer on their website, but I'm not great at navigating their site.
post #1790 of 1966 Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Someone posted a picture of it online: http://twitpic.com/3v0kwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post

All I can say is holy crap! I just got a mailer from Midco about the new HD channels we'll be getting due to the bandwidth available after the all-digital conversion. I count about 55. Most, if not all, of them are just HD versions of existing SD channels, but still this is pretty great! The notable ones, at least for me, are Cartoon Network HD, Comedy Central HD, Bravo HD, NHL HD, ESPNU HD, IFC HD, HBO2 HD, and HBO Zone HD. But there are a bunch more. I didn't see this flyer on their website, but I'm not great at navigating their site.

post #1791 of 1966 Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 AM

Yep that's the one! I'm loving it. How anyone in Moorhead could stick with Cableone after this is beyond me.
post #1792 of 1966 Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM

Yep, that's the flyer I got as well. Looks like a wide variety of HD too. It is good to see both NFL Redzone HD and CBS College Sports HD on the list.
post #1793 of 1966 Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 PM

Well according to Midco maybe mid may for grand forks/Crookston once again left behind.
post #1794 of 1966 Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 AM

So why can't Midco just broadcast KVRR's signal in GF?

AT
post #1795 of 1966 Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM

KVRR has to allow that, and they are denying Midco the right to do it. I imagine they sell Grand Forks advertising on KBRR, and if the Fargo station is broadcast here in GF, they lose out on that advertising revenue.

I was hoping they'd be willing to make an exception for even one day, but it looks like it isn't the case. I would be willing to tolerate watching the Super Bowl in regular definition, but KBRR/Fox here is so far below just regular quality. On a larger TV it is tough to distinguish how much time is left on the clock or what the score is. I expected there would have been something in the news about the game not being in HD, but I suppose that the Herald is owned by Forum Communications, a direct competitor of the Fox affiliate, so they wouldn't want to give any attention to them at all.

Frustrating day!

Quote:

So why can't Midco just broadcast KVRR's signal in GF?

AT

post #1796 of 1966 Old 02-06-2011, 02:01 PM

What ad revenue isn't all don's car wash and stop and go commercials anyway?
post #1797 of 1966 Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Well KVRR is looking like crap right now, so you're not missing much.
post #1798 of 1966 Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71 View Post
Well KVRR is looking like crap right now, so you're not missing much.
I was wondering if it was just me. It keeps cutting out on me and my hdhomerun is showing 100% signal strength but 64-70% signal quality.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #1799 of 1966 Old 02-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFJay View Post
KVRR has to allow that, and they are denying Midco the right to do it. I imagine they sell Grand Forks advertising on KBRR, and if the Fargo station is broadcast here in GF, they lose out on that advertising revenue.

I was hoping they'd be willing to make an exception for even one day, but it looks like it isn't the case. I would be willing to tolerate watching the Super Bowl in regular definition, but KBRR/Fox here is so far below just regular quality. On a larger TV it is tough to distinguish how much time is left on the clock or what the score is. I expected there would have been something in the news about the game not being in HD, but I suppose that the Herald is owned by Forum Communications, a direct competitor of the Fox affiliate, so they wouldn't want to give any attention to them at all.

Frustrating day!
Overload their phone system (they don't have a website and only basic email) with complaint calls...701-277-1515 and 701-277-1595..

I have yet to get even an acknowledgement that there really is a problem when I've complained, but if they get enough complaints they will have to come up with a response..
post #1800 of 1966 Old 02-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post
I was wondering if it was just me. It keeps cutting out on me and my hdhomerun is showing 100% signal strength but 64-70% signal quality.
Many of may "friends" on facebook are posting that KVRR isn't working Direct TV right now, maybe a problem with their Barnesville transmitter.....I watch OTA in the GF area, and KBRR is looking fine^h^h^h^h like kbrr
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page