Fargo, ND - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #181 of 1966 Old 09-15-2005, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as I know, only the DVR box (6412) has been upgraded. I don't know about the non-DVR model (6208). I do know that last I heard Cableone didn't have any of the 6208 boxes anymore, and only had the DVR boxes. So if you want this upgrade you'd need to pay $5 a month more for the DVR.

My TV does have an HDMI input on it (I got it earlier this year, after HDMI became pretty much the standard). I'm actually buying an HDMI-HDMI cable and a DVI-HDMI converter because I'm getting a set-top box for receiving OTA HD signals, and that box has a DVI output on it, and I want to cover all my cabling bases. From all I've read, the quality should be the same whether I use component video or HDMI, so it shouldn't matter how I connect everything. One of the boxes is going to need to use HDMI, since my TV has 1 HDMI input and 2 component inputs, and I have three devices to connect to them (cable box, OTA HD STB, DVD player)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1966 Old 09-15-2005, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Busy poster here... I just got off the phone with CableOne reserving the new HD-DVR box puck71 detailed. I asked about KVLY-HD progress and she indicated that all that was left was to assign a channel for it in the CableOne system and it should be broadcasting within a few days. Sweet!!
post #183 of 1966 Old 09-15-2005, 12:10 PM

That is sweet! I've been going through hoops to make sure I can receive OTA HD signals, just in case, but it's good to know I can get them on cable too!
post #184 of 1966 Old 09-15-2005, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

She also indicated that KXJB wouldn't be far behind but couldn't provide a date. I briefed her on some of our WDAY discussions and she just kind of gave a carefully guarded chuckle.

We might be soaking in the Vikes-Browns November 27th game on CBS in HD. Yeeeaaaahhhh baby!
post #185 of 1966 Old 09-15-2005, 12:56 PM

Sweeeet. It will be awsome to see KVLY-HD on cable. I think at least some of the new NBC shows start next week, so that will be even better. I don't have an OTA setup, so I have been banking on CableOne carrying the locals. Lets all hope that KXJB gets up by Nov. 27th. It will be awsome to get the Vikes-Browns game in CBS-HD

WDAY (eyes rolling). What can we do ??????
post #186 of 1966 Old 09-15-2005, 03:05 PM

What about FOX? Are we letting them off the hook? I actually watch more shows on FOX than ABC, so I'd rather have FOX in HD than ABC, if I had to pick one.
post #187 of 1966 Old 09-16-2005, 08:49 AM

Actually, I too would rather have KVRR-HD over WDAY-HD. With FOX having NFL, NASCAR, & MLB playoffs, I would choose KVRR over WDAY also.
post #188 of 1966 Old 09-16-2005, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Snag time....

I stopped by CableOne this morning to pick up the new HD-DVR box and asked again about KVLY. The customer service rep I spoke with indicated there is now a major snag as CableOne offered KVLY free use of a channel and associated bandwidth but KVLY wants CableOne to pay them for the HD signal and pass it on to us, the consumer. Realize that this is only one side of the story.

I don't know what to make of this. I feel like I pay to much for Cable TV as it is. Crap!
post #189 of 1966 Old 09-16-2005, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

Actually, I too would rather have KVRR-HD over WDAY-HD. With FOX having NFL, NASCAR, & MLB playoffs, I would choose KVRR over WDAY also.

Ditto... Brian's status website lists 2006 as the target for KVRR.
post #190 of 1966 Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM

Damn, I was really hoping our local affiliates wouldn't play that (HD carriage fee) game, and as they got an HD signal up, would allow it to be carried by CableOne. I don't have any plans of putting up an antenna and OTA setup, so if KVLY doesn't work out something with CableOne, I guess I just won't be watching them. Too bad. I guess it is time to send a couple emails to both sides, and hopefully maybe they will realize it is important to work out an agreement.
post #191 of 1966 Old 09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

Ditto... Brian's status website lists 2006 as the target for KVRR.

Is the KVRR source worth anything?
post #192 of 1966 Old 09-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeson83 View Post

I guess it is time to send a couple emails to both sides, and hopefully maybe they will realize it is important to work out an agreement.

Might as well get it taken care of so CBS will have somewhere to go. I think people should be contacting WDAY and KVRR too. I still don't understand how Cable One doesn't have HD Net or INHD.
post #193 of 1966 Old 09-16-2005, 02:43 PM

I would love to get HD Net & INHD. How is it that every other cable operator has either one or the other, or both, but CableOne refuses to carry either?

Don't forget Discovery HD Theatre, and ESPN2-HD. Two others I would love to have.
post #194 of 1966 Old 09-18-2005, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, I now consider KVLY to be officially broadcasting HD! They just did a promo for their HD signal during Crossing Jordon. Just in time for the fall season. KXJB is still a couple of weeks out according to my source.

Regarding CableONE and carrying KVLY, the rumor is that KVLY wants a couple of cents per subscriber from CableONE. I want to emphasize, that this is only a rumor.

I would like to urge everyone to just purchase an OTA tuner rather than give CableONE more money. Radioshack has a tuner for $88, and there is an LG OTA tuner (QAM, ATSC) with upconvert DVD capability for $270 @ Best Buy.

My equipment is listed on my HT pages.

Brian G.
http://brian.glaeske.name/ht/Fargo-HDTV/index.html
post #195 of 1966 Old 09-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure that I disagree with you, but can you explain how you go from saying KVLY wants money (which would open it up for KXJB) to making sure not to give money to Cable One? I believe that cable companies can't charge for local HD channels either, so people would only be giving money if they upgrade to the HD receiver.

I think other alternatives for people with OTA setups is to get an old satellite HD receiver. People tend to dump them for cheap.
post #196 of 1966 Old 09-18-2005, 10:02 PM

Regarding KVLY-HD on CableOne, even if it were .10 per month, that would still be financially cheaper than the $88 cost of an OTA receiver. It would take 73 years of .10 per month, to reach $88. So if CableOne claims to be holding down my costs by not adding KVLY-HD, for only a few cents per month, it will cost me way more (in the long run of total costs), to have to install my own OTA setup, instead of using cable. I guess for someone who already has the OTA equipment, then that cost has already been spent. My perspective is only for someone who hasn't spent the money for an OTA receiver and antenna.
post #197 of 1966 Old 09-19-2005, 12:17 PM

Hey Trap,

Any word on KVLY with your indoor antenna? I'm trying to figure out of I need to buy and install (get someone to install?) a roof-top.

J-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperGFK View Post

GFJay,

I'm in GF and the only thing I've been able to get OTA is PBSHD Channel 16.1. I'm using a powered RCA VHF/UHF indoor antenna from BestBuy. Towers are too far for KVLY and KXJB(47 miles) so I'm looking closely at the Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna. No pre-amp to start with. Sounds like it will pick up signals roughly 50 miles away and has gotten pretty good reviews from this site. I plan on trying it in my attic and then possibly outdoor if I have to.

Trap

post #198 of 1966 Old 09-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Would Midcontinent be able to carry the HD channels from Fargo?
post #199 of 1966 Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM

I'm guessing they would. I use DirecTV, mainly for the HiDef TiVo, and would really rather not switch over to Midco.

However, if I can't get the HD network channels OTA, I'd have to switch to cable.

J-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddie View Post

Would Midcontinent be able to carry the HD channels from Fargo?

post #200 of 1966 Old 09-19-2005, 06:12 PM

Wow, just flipped over to ESPN-HD, after watching the first half of the Saints/Giants game on WDAY, and what an amazing difference. Why the heck can't WDAY spend some money, and get their HD signal going. But then I guess there would probably be a dispute over money and carriage fees, so we wouldn't get it on CableOne anyway
post #201 of 1966 Old 09-20-2005, 08:43 AM

Does anyone have any idea on if Cableone is close to getting other HD cable channels? They're so far behind all the other providers it's not even funny. Specifically I think HDNet and HDNet Movies are must haves, but some others like InHD, Discovery HD, etc. would be great too! At a certain point I'm sure they'll have to add another few bucks to the bill, but I think it would be worth it to get more than 4 or 5 channels!

If not, does anyone have any good contacts at Cableone where you can get info or maybe a light nudge in the right direction? This is big hockey territory, and with HDNet showing NHL games in HD, I think a lot of people (myself included) would be interested in that. Not to mention all the other stuff on HDNet! I submitted a feedback form online, but I'm pretty sure those don't go to anyone important. I did that for Bravo a couple years ago, and still nothing.

I think we need to put the pressure on a little more. Do they even know how far behind they are??
post #202 of 1966 Old 09-21-2005, 12:07 PM

I agree. CableOne needs to do better, in their HD channel offerings. I send them feedback, via that same online form, every couple months or so, requesting more HD channels. I would imagine that decisions regarding national cable channels, probably comes out of their Phoenix Corporate headquarters, and not the Fargo office. I guess there just isn't enough of us HD subscribers, to make enough noise, to get results. Until the numbers of HD subscribers rises, I fear we may be in the minority, and our requests for HD channels will go unheard, and unanswered.

Aarrgh. What can us HD connoisseur's do????
post #203 of 1966 Old 09-21-2005, 12:19 PM

You could always do what I did, drop CableOne for DirecTV. I was way too frustrated with the lack of content so I switched.

I'm not sure how many HD channels CableOne has now, but when I had it about a year ago there was ESPN, TNT, PBS, HBO and Showtime.

With DirecTV I have HBO, Showtime, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, UniversalHD, DiscoveryHD, HDNet, HDNetMovies, New York Fox and CBS HD (don't ask ).

My receiver has a built in OTA tuner so I'm able to pick up KVLY and PBS in HD perfectly!
post #204 of 1966 Old 09-21-2005, 01:12 PM

Cableone has UniversalHD now, so we're still missing ESPN2HD, DiscoveryHD, and the HDNet ones. I've considered switching to dish too, and I'll keep thinking about it. I even put together a big spreadsheet of all the channel offerings, and how the prices compared, etc.

If I can get a good setup for local OTA HD (I'm in the process of that now), I might make the move too. The one thing that ended up holding me back from going to the dish was the whole OTA local channel thing, so if I can get those with antenna and tuner, there goes that reason!
post #205 of 1966 Old 09-21-2005, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I'd say if CableOne could get you the channels you want then don't bother with the OTA setup.

However, it really wasn't that bad. I just picked up a pretty cheap set of rabit ears from Radio Shack and I'm able to pick up all the digital broadcasts just fine. I am moving north of town soon so I'm a bit worried that my directional antenna might not work so well.
post #206 of 1966 Old 09-21-2005, 04:25 PM

I had enough will CableOne and switched to dish about a week ago. The picture quality is great and so far I have been really pleased with the service. Can't wait for the NHL games on HDNet. The best part is im not paying Cableone a penny
post #207 of 1966 Old 09-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Hey everyone,

Well, in what I'm thinking is a miracle, I was able to get KVLY-DT OTA via a powered set-top indoor antenna (a Jensen TV931) here in Grand Forks. I'm really surprised. At first I received occasional drop-outs every 10 minutes or so, but after playing around with the positioning a few hours ago, I now get a perfect signal. I'm guessing that I'll eventually move to a roof-top antenna to get all of the eventual HD channels, I'm happy for now. (A side benefit is that I'm also getting PBS HD out of Crookston, MN).

I wrote to Charley Johnson at KVLY, first to thank him and the team there for getting their digital transmission up at the start of the new TV season, and also to ask about signal strength (in hopes that they were going to see up the power). That's less of a concern now that I get the signal perfectly, though. I also asked about hours of operation (as I couldn't get anything from them late last night), and also the status of KX4. His response (I hope he doesn't mind my posting it) is below. I figure that if I post it he'll get fewer e-mail messages.

All in all, I'm pretty pumped that I can get such a good signal in Grand Forks.

J-

==

Jamie: We are at about 50% of our temporary power (where we'll be until
analog goes away), or about 180kw of effective radiated power. We're going
to stay at that for awhile, until we get a good handle on heat build-up and
some other issues. We're pretty pleased, so far... we've had a couple of
reports from people at least 75 miles from the transmitter who are getting
solid pictures with roof-top antennas. If you put an antenna outside I'm
pretty sure you'd eliminate the occasional drop-outs.
Our plan, for now, is to run the DT signal from 8:00 am until after Conan
O'Brien. There may be times during the day when we take the signal down for
maintenance, but we'll try to avoid the evening (HD) hours. The KXJB-DT
transmitter will be tested (with a factory rep on hand) sometime during
October, so we should be on the air with that by November 1st, barring any
technical issue that may arise. I suspect our power output and hours of
operations will be similar to what we're doing with KVLY.
Thanks for writing, and for watching!

Charley Johnson
post #208 of 1966 Old 09-25-2005, 08:32 PM

Is anyone having issues with the signal from KVLY? I hooked up a new antenna to receive it today and I cannot get a signal (seem to get the others which are sending a signal). I am using the Media Center Edition signal strength tool and I get 5 bars (best) for WDAY (?), KFME, and KVRR. I only get one bar for KXJB and KVLY.

Still trying to figure out if this is my problem or theirs.
post #209 of 1966 Old 09-25-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginman View Post

Is anyone having issues with the signal from KVLY? I hooked up a new antenna to receive it today and I cannot get a signal (seem to get the others which are sending a signal). I am using the Media Center Edition signal strength tool and I get 5 bars (best) for WDAY (?), KFME, and KVRR. I only get one bar for KXJB and KVLY.

Still trying to figure out if this is my problem or theirs.

No, this isn't your problem ginman. It's actually Microsoft's problem in combination with what KVLY reported to the FCC as its physical channel number. MCE thinks the physical channel for KVLY is 58, in reality it's 44. I was able to find a way to get MCE to work with this channel but it wasn't very easy. I'll send you a PM with the details.
post #210 of 1966 Old 09-26-2005, 05:23 AM

There is an explanation for that: originally the FCC assigned channel 58 to KVLY for digital broadcasts, but KVLY successfully petitioned to get that changed to channel 44 a year or so (or more) ago. I'm not sure why MCE would lock into original FCC channel assignments and not be flexible about it, but whatever Microsoft wants to do I guess...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page